Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The Derek Chauvin trial ended today with the defense having called witnesses for just two days vice two weeks for the prosecution. As for Chauvin, he invoked his Fifth Amendment rights and declined to take the stand, a good call as legal experts said the prosecution would've destroyed him in cross-examination. Closing statements on Monday.
    It's going to be a tough one. He was saying he could not breathe when being held down but was saying he could not breather when he was sitting in the police car before that.

Could have been being held down that caused death or could have been the drugs and other health issues.

Some camera angles make it look like Chauvin was kneeling on his neck while other angles, looks more like his shoulder.

"Beyond a reasonable doubt" is going to be a hard sell. If he's found not guilty, there will be riots. If he is found guilty, there will forever be those saying it was a predestined socio-political decision.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I keep hearing the word de-escalation but I'm not sure what it means i.e. what would de-escalation training even entail?
    It's the difference between arresting someone and shooting someone. De-escalation means getting a person with a weapon to drop the weapon and submit to being arrested. De-escalation also refers to the police, since they too need to be de-escalated. This means police officers that focus on arresting people, bringing them in alive, as opposed to shooting them.

In all cases, this refers to a system set up to minimize loss of life and maximize arresting and bringing people in alive.

Police should not be the Judge/Jury/Executioners and armed criminals should be taken out quickly, but not by killing them unless there is no other choice.

There are many ways that someone can be arrested without being shot, even if someone resists there are ways to bring them in that don't involve killing them. '

Also, you need to stop a person from using a weapon, so that no one else gets hurt or killed.

A gun is not the only answer.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

US police and public officials donated to Kyle Rittenhouse, data breach reveals

A data breach at a Christian crowdfunding website has revealed that serving police officers and public officials have donated money to fundraisers for accused vigilante murderers, far-right activists, and fellow officers accused of shooting black Americans.

In many of these cases, the donations were attached to their official email addresses, raising questions about the use of public resources in supporting such campaigns.
    The breach, shared with journalists by transparency group Distributed Denial of Secrets, revealed the details of some donors who had previously attempted to conceal their identities using GiveSendGo’s anonymity feature, but whose identifying details the website preserved.

The beneficiaries of donations from public officials include Kyle Rittenhouse, who stands accused of murdering two leftwing protesters in Kenosha, Wisconsin, last August. Rittenhouse traveled from neighboring Illinois to, by his own account, offer armed protection to businesses during protests over the police shooting of Jacob Blake.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I keep hearing the word de-escalation but I'm not sure what it means i.e. what would de-escalation training even entail?
    Training officers to talk down or subdue a suspect by approaching the situation calmly. Being interested is what the suspect is saying and then setting limits to end the situation without more violence. Teaching officers how to us a Thought/Emotion/Behavior (TEB) Matrix would be a great start.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Beastie's Cartoons of the Week

"Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

They're effectively looking at what got Steve King kicked off all his committees and primaried out of Congress and going, "LET'S DO THAT!"

F*** these white nationalist ***holes.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    It's going to be a tough one. He was saying he could not breathe when being held down but was saying he could not breather when he was sitting in the police car before that.

Could have been being held down that caused death or could have been the drugs and other health issues.

Some camera angles make it look like Chauvin was kneeling on his neck while other angles, looks more like his shoulder.

"Beyond a reasonable doubt" is going to be a hard sell. If he's found not guilty, there will be riots. If he is found guilty, there will forever be those saying it was a predestined socio-political decision.
    Just heard a report that the Philly Police Commissioner announced a plan for anticipated protests/riots regarding the outcome of the trial. Things got crazy here a year ago after George Floyd's death with rioters running rampant only half a mile from my street while I heard choppers overhead in my neighborhood day and night for nearly a week as it seemed the whole damn city came apart at the seams. I do NOT want to go through THAT again, hell, NOBODY does. If sacrificing Chauvin prevents wholesale chaos from coast to coast that could potentially wreck the country still recovering from the virus, then I'm down with that.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I think even if there is a conviction but of the lesser charge there will still be trouble. To be honest I expect a hung jury at best an acquittal at worst. But I for see a rough week next week. Very tense.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Haven't heard from Grotham in a while. Good to see he's still the big douchebag we've all come to expect.

Rep. Grothman: It would be nice if VP Harris would show that she accepted her new job with some enthusiasm
    "You know, you be prettier if you smile more" vibes coming hard from that.

In some good news, just heard on MSNBC that the DOJ is suing Roger Stone for over $2 million in unpaid taxes.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I think even if there is a conviction but of the lesser charge there will still be trouble. To be honest I expect a hung jury at best an acquittal at worst. But I for see a rough week next week. Very tense.
    I'm not even going to try and predict what the verdict might end up being, I only hope there will be some modicum of peace after it's announced. A few hours ago, I chatted with a neighbor about the trial and he said that Chauvin should hope to be convicted and end up in prison because he'd have a bullseye on his back if he's set free. I reminded him that ex-cops usually don't last long behind bars with the scum they help put there, my neighbor just shrugged and said that wasn't his problem. Not that I particularly care, but regardless of if Chauvin is jailed or released, he won't have an easy moment for the rest of his life.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I don't have any idea what the verdict will be. I do hope it is based on the evidence, not the social repercussions, as bad as they may be.

I've heard people say they will riot if all the cops on the scene don't end up getting convicted. For some of them, especially the rookie, that's not likely.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I'll take the bill's sponsor, in this instance. And already did.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.