Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Meanwhile some people would rather sit here and play games of rhetoric while the world burns around them.
    And what is the solution to climate change?

Hint - This is probably not going to help:
    CNN - Under Biden, US oil production is poised to break Trump-era records
    https://edition.cnn.com/2023/08/09/b...ump/index.html

It’s somewhat amusing to hear americans talking about climate change when the US is the second highest polluting country in the world. Anything to keep the US economy competitive, right?
    Last edited by hyped78; 08-12-2023 at 12:49 PM.

I seem to want you to address the racism, fascism and bigotry in the Republican party.

Since you can't do that we don't have much of anything else to say to one another.

So far -- you're right.

It's also important not to forget that many immigrant families were intentionally separated by the Republicans during the Trump administration.

Many Republicans don't just have apathy towards non-white immigrants and others -- they actively wish them harm.

This is a mindset that cannot be allowed to become the status quo in American government.
    I'm not a fan of racism, homophobia and fascism. I've addressed these topics multiple times, but if you have a non-loaded question on that topic or any other, and can word it politely, I'll do my best to answer it.

If you're not willing to explicitly ask a question, it doesn't seem reasonable to criticize me for not addressing it.

It's a public forum, so if you say something I disagree with, I'll explain why. Sometimes we'll be in agreement, but I might have something to add to your point.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    And what is the solution to climate change?

Hint - This is probably not going to help:
    CNN - Under Biden, US oil production is poised to break Trump-era records
    https://edition.cnn.com/2023/08/09/b...ump/index.html

It’s somewhat amusing to hear americans talking about climate change when the US is the second highest polluting country in the world. Anything to keep the US economy competitive, right?
    At the end of the day, both Presidential candidates will be corporate-friendly ones. The difference is one tends to have a better "bedside manner" with people of different ethnicities and orientations while paving the way for the corpos to fuck them and everyone else who isn't in the top percentile of wealth.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I'm not a fan of racism, homophobia and fascism. I've addressed these topics multiple times, but if you have a non-loaded question on that topic or any other, and can word it politely, I'll do my best to answer it.

If you're not willing to explicitly ask a question, it doesn't seem reasonable to criticize me for not addressing it.

It's a public forum, so if you say something I disagree with, I'll explain why. Sometimes we'll be in agreement, but I might have something to add to your point.
    You can stop the recording -- you have been told repeatedly that there are no questions for you.

You're a smart individual -- you know exactly what everyone is talking about when they point out these issues within the Republican party.

With regards to discussion -- we've tried that route before and there is no point in providing you with evidence that you will ignore.

To clarify -- you "can't" address these issues both because you refuse to admit to them and because Republicans would behave the same way even if you did admit to their freqent use of racism and homophobia and spoke out against them.

This is not anything that puts me at fault so stop trying to point fingers at others as is your habit -- this is about factual Republican behavior and not your opinion on them.

Keep that in mind when you are claiming you need to be asked questions -- there is no need because it serves no purpose regardless.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 08-12-2023 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    At the end of the day, both Presidential candidates will be corporate-friendly ones. The difference is one tends to have a better "bedside manner" with people of different ethnicities and orientations while paving the way for the corpos to fuck them and everyone else who isn't in the top percentile of wealth.
    I agree. But the fight against climate change needs to seriously start at some point, instead of just empty rhetoric by politicians (not just in the US btw but, as stated, the US is the #2 WW offender)

He's not asking questions - he's giving "orders" (which is obviously not a debate)

Mighty Member

I agree. But the fight against climate change needs to seriously start at some point, instead of just empty rhetoric by politicians (not just in the US btw but, as stated, the US is the #2 WW offender)
    It may start to happen when enough rich people wake up to find their mansions destroyed by freak brush fires or superstorms. Self-interest and all that.

It may start to happen when enough rich people wake up to find their mansions destroyed by freak brush fires or superstorms. Self-interest and all that.
    I like your optimism but rich people will always be the first ones to be shielded from the effects of climate change (or the last ones to be impacted by it, rather)

Mighty Member

I like your optimism but rich people will always be the first ones to be shielded from the effects of climate change (or the last ones to be impacted by it, rather)
    Wait. MY take is considered an "optimistic" one? That aint reassuring.

Though obviously not enough, one Party promotes alternative energy, public transportation, conservation. The other dismantles any of these programs, and does everything it can to increase fosil fuel use.
    The hated Left, has a clear climate change agenda, but the American voters don't put them in power. Even moderate Dems would support this, but again we need a Congress that looks like Roosevelt's, but I doubt that can happen anymore.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The reason oil production is up is the price of oil, that has driven it for decades. Cheap oil under Trump because of pandemic, lower production. Recovery and higher prices under Biden, more production.
    I know some would like Biden to stop production (don't know if he legally can) but that isn't going to happen.
    Meanwhile the BBB has a big climate change component. Passed with 0 GOP votes.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

You can stop the recording -- you have been told repeatedly that there are no questions for you.

You're a smart individual -- you know exactly what everyone is talking about when they point out these issues within the Republican party.

With regards to discussion -- we've tried that route before and there is no point in providing you with evidence that you will ignore.

To clarify -- you "can't" address these issues both because you refuse to admit to them and because Republicans would behave the same way even if you did admit to their freqent use of racism and homophobia and spoke out against them.

This is not anything that puts me at fault so stop trying to point fingers at others as is your habit -- this is about factual Republican behavior and not your opinion on them.

Keep that in mind when you are claiming you need to be asked questions -- there is no need because it serves no purpose regardless.
    It seems you want to make nasty personal comments without backing it up.

If I'm a broken recording on the idea that if you're going to accuse someone of being evasive, you should be willing to ask the question politely in a non-loaded way, it is because I believe it. It is a way to avoid being the toxic combination of obnoxious and wrong.

If I've ignored a fact, post a link. Show others that I'm saying things no reasonable person can say, instead of reporting yourself over and over without any evidence.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The reason oil production is up is the price of oil, that has driven it for decades. Cheap oil under Trump because of pandemic, lower production. Recovery and higher prices under Biden, more production.
    I know some would like Biden to stop production (don't know if he legally can) but that isn't going to happen.
    Apparently we should get conservative opinions on climate change before addressing the issue directly.

Or we can just vote them out of office and save the planet.

It seems you want to make nasty personal comments without backing it up.
    No -- at one point it would have been nice to see you address racism, fascism and homophobia in the Republican party.

At this point it would be good to see you stop insulting my intelligence by pretending this is about anything but unethical and criminal Republican behavior.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 08-12-2023 at 02:12 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Weird. I heard that measure was largely defanged or meddled with to basically open up natural water sources to corporate grab-ups (IIRC). There was a Guardian article on that, mentioning how unperturbed the fossil fuel industry was when it passed, I believe. But hey, maybe there's still something in it even they missed that could prove troublesome for them.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 08-12-2023 at 02:17 PM.

Wait. MY take is considered an "optimistic" one? That aint reassuring.
    Haha. I am very pessimistic about everything related to climate change/ global warming right now. I went to Iceland last December and saw the receding glaciers and the melting icebergs (there are photos showing where/how they were some years ago and then you can see the current status with your own eyes)

As the UN are saying, we are moving from global warming to global boiling