Page 130 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 30801201261271281291301311321331341401802306301130 ... LastLast
Results 1,936 to 1,950 of 75153

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    The fact that you have little enough empathy to consider that people wouldn't consider a black man murdered slowly in the street in front of witnesses a failure of the democracy they've established says a lot about how you're a Republican, Mets. People elected Democrats, not the fascists that have turned up in this scenario.
    How would democracy make sure that this never happens?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    He settled for THIRD DEGREE murder. People have to LOOK UP what that term means because it’s so uncommon. It’s the lowest tier for three cops handcuffing him and choking him for eight minutes. He also instilled a curfew starting at 8pm which will most likely be enforced by the same police/national guard that are unfairly brutalizing Black lives. He’s not AS bad but he’s certainly doing no favors. Defunding these corrupt thuggish goons that call themselves “law enforcement” is a first step.
    He didn't settle. If convicted it carries 25 years. The DA went with that because 2nd degree would be much harder to convict on. And this is the Prosecutors choice, not the Mayor's.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Fair enough, though to repeat, what I’m sure is less premature is figuring out the solutions that should be put in place. The reaction to George Floyd’s death is making me further realize that I think a big problem regarding black people getting attacked and other problems of corruption isn’t so much recognizing that it’s happening in the US, but more so understanding the solutions that need to be figured out and put into action.
    I've already posted three links that showed where Obama attempted to do exactly that.

There's no reason to keep harping on the same point -- many Americans already know this.

Just as with the expansion of health care to all American citizens, it's Republicans who repeatedly block and repeal said efforts.

Same goes for your comments on uprisings and social change: it was the riots after King was killed that led to the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1968, more than a century after slavery ended.

After which Republicans resorted to the "Southern Strategy", "Jim Crow Laws" and African-American voter suppression to win elections.

As they still do so today whenever possible as many Republicans believe said oppression is the key to winnning elections due to demographics.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-29-2020 at 03:48 PM.

Mighty Member

He settled for THIRD DEGREE murder. People have to LOOK UP what that term means because it’s so uncommon. It’s the lowest tier for three cops handcuffing him and choking him for eight minutes. He also instilled a curfew starting at 8pm which will most likely be enforced by the same police/national guard that are unfairly brutalizing Black lives. He’s not AS bad but he’s certainly doing no favors. Defunding these corrupt thuggish goons that call themselves “law enforcement” is a first step.
    I just watched the video of George Floyd being murdered on youtube. Vile, disgusting, sickening, and deeply disturbing.

I'm equally appalled that a mayor could watch the footage, and not see that unecessary excessive force was being used. He should resign immediately from governance, absolutely disgusting, your country has serious problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    How would democracy make sure that this never happens?
    You should do your own research and read up about the militarization of American police, numerous police killings through the past years, and the entire history of American racism to learn some possible answers. Explaining it all step by step to someone acting like they're trying to not understand would be, quite frankly, exhausting.

But there are too many possible answers for me to sit here and list when the best answer is, "Do something, ANYTHING, to make police stop killing people they're supposed to be protecting for no reason. Like prosecuting. Or suspending a cop with a track record of police brutality so he can't hang around enough to murder a man."

That's not a lot to ask. And if your vote hasn't put people in place to make sure this very simple request as a citizen isn't being honored... you can't be surprised if people riot.

Especially not if the riot is started by an undercover Minneapolis police officer as an excuse to disperse the peaceful protesters, as is being speculated online. So there's that, too.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

It's always better to go for the best conviction chance. Aiming too high sets yourself up for failure.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    You should do your own research and read up about the militarization of American police, numerous police killings through the past years, and the entire history of American racism to learn some possible answers. Explaining it all step by step to someone acting like they're trying to not understand would be, quite frankly, exhausting.
    The Republican way is to oppose "the left" -- you have to give an answer so they can explain why it probably wouldn't work.

Actual research would prevent that option and leave them in the unfavorable and untenable position of being judgded on their own merits.

As we've seen under the leadership of both Trump and Bush Jr that doesn't tend to work in their favor so an alternate strategy is necessary.

-----
    "If Obama wanted it, we Republicans had to be against it,” said Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-Ky."

https://www.politico.com/story/2010/...-pledge-044311
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-29-2020 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    It's always better to go for the best conviction chance. Aiming too high sets yourself up for failure.
    Also, they can upgrade it if needed. You start low, then work your way up to insure a conviction.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

BANNED

E9B7642D-C93F-446D-BC42-727587349B2E.jpgs

Something along the lines of my thinking. All of those Minneapolis police stations are beneficiaries of racism, privilege and slavery. Burn them to the ground.

And, I’m sure that shooting these “thugs” is what Trump had in mind when he retweeted that Republicans weren’t hurting the right people.
    Last edited by sammy_hansen; 05-29-2020 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    I just watched the video of George Floyd being murdered on youtube. Vile, disgusting, sickening, and deeply disturbing.

I'm equally appalled that a mayor could watch the footage, and not see that unecessary excessive force was being used. He should resign immediately from governance, absolutely disgusting, your country has serious problems.
    It probably happens in YOUR country, too. Don’t be like “omg America is soooo bad, good thing im in [INSERT COUNTRY THAT ALSO HAS VIOLENT POLICE BRUTALITY AGAINST BLACK PPL THAT OFTEN GETS IGNORED]” cause it isn’t an empathetic or sensitive take at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    He didn't settle. If convicted it carries 25 years. The DA went with that because 2nd degree would be much harder to convict on. And this is the Prosecutors choice, not the Mayor's.
    The same prosecutor that earlier said there was “other evidence that does not support a criminal charge"? If you are the mayor, then denounce the conviction that’s really just letting him off the hook.

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    And you don’t see how screwed up the system is that a police officer can get away with cold-blooded murder that’s literally being filmed, showing he not only wasn’t resisting but was actively pleading for his life saying he couldn’t breathe? I’m not talking about what most likely will win the case, I’m talking about what he DESERVES. Injustice being just let go like that is cause for direct action, hence, the uprisings.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Also, they can upgrade it if needed. You start low, then work your way up to insure a conviction.
    Annnnnnnnd you think this is gonna go different than the thousands of other cases, why?

BANNED

It probably happens in YOUR country, too. Don’t be like “omg America is soooo bad, good thing im in [INSERT COUNTRY THAT ALSO HAS VIOLENT POLICE BRUTALITY AGAINST BLACK PPL THAT OFTEN GETS IGNORED]” cause it isn’t an empathetic or sensitive take at all.

The same prosecutor that earlier said there was “other evidence that does not support a criminal charge"? If you are the mayor, then denounce the conviction that’s really just letting him off the hook.

And you don’t see how screwed up the system is that a police officer can get away with cold-blooded murder that’s literally being filmed, showing he not only wasn’t resisting but was actively pleading for his life saying he couldn’t breathe? I’m not talking about what most likely will win the case, I’m talking about what he DESERVES. Injustice being just let go like that is cause for direct action, hence, the uprisings.

Annnnnnnnd you think this is gonna go different than the thousands of other cases, why?
    Yep. I’m sure a lot of people here would be calling for the death penalty or life without parole if someone murdered a police officer begging for his life on camera.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    I've already posted three links that showed where Obama attempted to do exactly that.

There's no reason to keep harping on the same point -- many Americans already know this.

Just as with the expansion of health care to all American citizens, it's Republicans who repeatedly block and repeal said efforts.

Same goes for your comments on uprisings and social change: it was the riots after King was killed that led to the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1968, more than a century after slavery ended.

After which Republicans resorted to the "Southern Strategy", "Jim Crow Laws" and African-American voter suppression to win elections.

As they still do so today whenever possible as many Republcans believe said oppression is the key to winnning elections due to demographics.
    History also showed that things can easily be set back a couple generations overnight of the wrong pieces fall in place. It took 50 years for black Americans to claw back what they watched get taken away by Woodrow Wilson. I recently watched a YouTube channel where the host posits that Woodrow Wilson, and not anybody else, is the single worst American president. Others had bigger failures, but with Wilson the damage was done by his success, and it lasted decades, and in some cases over a century.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    Yep. I’m sure a lot of people here would be calling for the death penalty or life without parole if someone murdered a police officer begging for his life on camera.
    It would be a manhunt and a FAST one at that. And from what we saw last night, they’re more than willing and ready to protect their little buddy by having the whole force out there by his house, but are quick to arrest a Black reporter who showed them his ID.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    History also showed that things can easily be set back a couple generations overnight of the wrong pieces fall in place. It took 50 years for black Americans to claw back what they watched get taken away by Woodrow Wilson. I recently watched a YouTube channel where the host posits that Woodrow Wilson, and not anybody else, is the single worst American president. Others had bigger failures, but with Wilson the damage was done by his success, and it lasted decades, and in some cases over a century.
    Bush Jr's Great Recession was equally disastrous -- black people still haven't recovered.

Then Trump has the audacity to ask what black people have to lose by voting Republican.

-----
    "The Recession's Racial Slant"

By 2031, the downturn will have decreased the wealth of the median black household by almost $100,000...

Median net worth among black as well as Hispanic households was close to zero over the whole time period, as were the ratios of median wealth between minority and white households. However, the Great Recession from 2007 to 2010 hit African-American households much harder than whites, and the ratio of mean wealth between the two groups plunged from 0.19 in 2007 to 0.14 in 2010.

Indeed, the mean wealth of black households suffered a 33% decline in real terms (see Figure 2). White wealth, in contrast, declined by 12%.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...g-race/396725/

https://voxeu.org/article/decline-af...reat-recession

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...sis-2019-02-06
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-29-2020 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post

What are you talking about?

Mayor Frey:
    "I've wrestled with, more than anything else over the last 36 hours, one fundamental question: Why is the man who killed George Floyd not in jail," Frey said. "If you had done it, or I had done it, we would be behind bars right now."

Frey went on to say, "We cannot turn a blind eye, it is on us as leaders to see this for what it is and call it what it is. George Floyd deserves justice, his family deserves justice, the black community deserves justice and our city deserves justice."
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!