Like, they can have an "investigation" on Fox News...

But there's no subpoena power. They can't force anyone from the riot who's gonna be berated into trying to get them to admit to being "Antifa". All the main witnesses who were there? In jail.

And if they aren't and go on Fox News to brag about what they saw?

They're admitting they entered the capitol to have seen it. And will go to jail.

I'm not saying Nancy Pelosi's playing 4th dimensional chess, but McCarthy couldn't win at Connect Four if you spotted him three and let him go first.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post

But there's no subpoena power. They can't force anyone from the riot who's gonna be berated into trying to get them to admit to being "Antifa". All the main witnesses who were there? In jail.

They're admitting they entered the capitol to have seen it. And will go to jail.

I'm not saying Nancy Pelosi's playing 4th dimensional chess, but McCarthy couldn't win at Connect Four if you spotted him three and let him go first.
    As the top dog in the Qpublican Party, Craven Kevin isn't exactly covering himself in glory. I wonder what The Former Guy will have to say about this debacle.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

They... uh... can't.

Also, Pelosi already named Liz Cheney, a Republican as one of her picks.

Ergo, it's bipartisan. And goes forward.

McCarthy's an idiot. By not naming some Republicans who would at least would pretend to take it seriously, Pelosi said, "Try again, try harder" and he just gave up and will let it go forward with next to no interference and Cheney there for credibility.

I reiterate, McCarthy is an idiot.
    There is a small handful, very small, of Republicans who would take the work of the commission seriously like Liz Cheney is. I wish there was a way to get them on the Committee.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    There is a small handful, very small, of Republicans who would take the work of the commission seriously like Liz Cheney is. I wish there was a way to get them on the Committee.
    National Security has always been a focus for Cheney. Of course, the Bush/Obama years of s***ing your pants about Islamophobic terror is a harder sell of late, because there aren't attacks coming from Jihadis, it's the White Nationalists that are the biggest problem, and Cheney got a pretty close look at how bad it was on 1/6. The fact that she told Jim Jordan to f*** off when he "tried to sequester the women" that day would have made his presence, more so than usual on the panel, and absolute clown show.

But all the knuckle-dragging neanderthals who really wanted on that committee for the wrong reasons wanted to be there to use it to fundraise. Which Jordan and Banks did, and their offices were bragging about how much they got in only a day.

So Pelosi locked them out. Good.

The list of folks who should have been named?

Rep. Herrera-Butler.
    Rep. Katko.
    Rep. Meijer
    Rep. Upton
    Rep. Rice.

Of that bunch, Upton's been in office since 1987. He'd bring the most credibility. Rice campaigned with Trump, but called 1/6 "an utter failure" that was "inexcusable". Meijer is new blood, he's got fresh eyes on this, he was in office for days when it happened. Katko's the ranking member on the Homeland Security Committee. Herrera-Butler... if you kept her off the committee in favor of someone like say, Rep. Gonzales of Ohio... it would be because you'd want her to testify. Because she's the one who went on record to confirm that Kevin McCarthy called on Trump during the attack and what she heard of their phone call.

The only one of that list I've ever profiled is Tom Rice, and that's more because he's a science denying twit that refused masks, f***ed around, and got Covid. But of the South Carolina GOP delegation, he's probably the best Congressman... but that's not a high bar to clear.

Holy s***. This one's fresh on Twitter... Liz Cheney is defending Nancy Pelosi's decision and slagging Kevin McCarthy even more.

Liz Cheney defends Pelosi booting Banks & Jordan from the 1/6 committee:

"She rejected 2. One who may be a material witness to events that lead to that day... the other who disqualified himself by his comments over the last 24 hours demonstrating he's not taking this seriously"

Liz Cheney says she doesn't think Kevin McCarthy should be House Speaker.

"I think that any person who would be third in line to the presidency must demonstrate a commitment to the Constitution and a commitment to the rule of law and Minority Leader McCarthy has not done that."

I'm more focused on the fireworks between the heavy-hitters in Congress today, but I'll note that Marjorie Taylor-Greene held a press conference to complain about her temp-ban for spreading vaccine information.

It did not go well, but she's too nuts to know it.

First, she tried telling a reporter they've violated HIPAA by asking her if she was vaccinated yet (as the law applies to medical professionals... no, she didn't.)

Then she was asked about trying to promote vaccines to keep people safe, and started spreading misinformation again, that only the "elderly and obese" were at risk of dying of Covid-19. A reporter corrected her that there are deaths outside of those categories, and asked directly, "“There are children, skinny people, who have died of the coronavirus. Do you feel any responsibility?”

By the time the reporter had said the word, "died", she burst into full-toothed laughter. When presented with the deaths of children.

She is barking mad. Like, comic book villain levels of insane. I won't compare her to the Joker, because at least he doesn't spread conspiracy theories. There's some lines he won't cross.

Let's loop this back to Kevin McCarthy, though... he got most of the GOP caucus to fight to keep her committee assignments and not expel her from Congress. And this is what she's doing for the GQP.

Astonishing Member

I'm more focused on the fireworks between the heavy-hitters in Congress today, but I'll note that Marjorie Taylor-Greene held a press conference to complain about her temp-ban for spreading vaccine information.

It did not go well, but she's too nuts to know it.

First, she tried telling a reporter they've violated HIPAA by asking her if she was vaccinated yet (as the law applies to medical professionals... no, she didn't.)

Then she was asked about trying to promote vaccines to keep people safe, and started spreading misinformation again, that only the "elderly and obese" were at risk of dying of Covid-19. A reporter corrected her that there are deaths outside of those categories, and asked directly, "“There are children, skinny people, who have died of the coronavirus. Do you feel any responsibility?”

By the time the reporter had said the word, "died", she burst into full-toothed laughter. When presented with the deaths of children.

She is barking mad. Like, comic book villain levels of insane. I won't compare her to the Joker, because at least he doesn't spread conspiracy theories. There's some lines he won't cross.

Let's loop this back to Kevin McCarthy, though... he got most of the GOP caucus to fight to keep her committee assignments and not expel her from Congress. And this is what she's doing for the GQP.
    It irks me to no end that she gets so much free press. For every loathsome, backwards, trash thing she says and does she gets headlines daily. Just like Trump. She has no committee assignments she doesnt do anything except mouth off and fundraise now. But, she gets millions in free advertising.

They... uh... can't.

Also, Pelosi already named Liz Cheney, a Republican as one of her picks.

Ergo, it's bipartisan. And goes forward.

McCarthy's an idiot. By not naming some Republicans who would at least would pretend to take it seriously, Pelosi said, "Try again, try harder" and he just gave up and will let it go forward with next to no interference and Cheney there for credibility.

I reiterate, McCarthy is an idiot.

I keep coming back to McCarthy calling Pelosi a lame-duck speaker. I honestly think that Kevin is absolutely, positively sure that the Republicans will pick up enough seats in the House next year that he will then become Speaker, at which point he can then appoint his own special commission on 1/6. Which, given historical trends, it's not unreasonable for him to think that. But the real toss up for next year is how many Americans are sick and tired of the games the Republicans are playing, and are willing to vote Democrat; and will Trump's base be big enough to counter that? That and, of course how many people the Qpublicans can get disenfranchised by then.

Liz lost her leadership position, and may very well lose her committee assignments. At this point, she had zero F's to give.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    So, between Elder and Caitlyn Jenner, the governor's race in California figures to be a straight up clown show. Hopefully, those morons won't be taken seriously as candidates and flame out early.
    It was a clown show the last time California had a recall election for Governor. And they wound up with Arnold Schwarzenegger in the State House. So I guess what I'm saying is that anything could happen and nothing would surprise me.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I keep coming back to McCarthy calling Pelosi a lame-duck speaker. I honestly think that Kevin is absolutely, positively sure that the Republicans will pick up enough seats in the House next year that he will then become Speaker, at which point he can then appoint his own special commission on 1/6. Which, given historical trends, it's not unreasonable for him to think that. But the real toss up for next year is how many Americans are sick and tired of the games the Republicans are playing, and are willing to vote Democrat; and will Trump's base be big enough to counter that? That and, of course how many people the Qpublicans can get disenfranchised by then.

Liz lost her leadership position, and may very well lose her committee assignments. At this point, she had zero F's to give.
    Pelosi has said she won't be Speaker after the 2022 elections no matter what happens.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...-to-secure-the

Politicians do often change their minds, and criticizing someone for being a lame duck seems to discourage good practices (legislative leaders not staying in their post forever and being honest about their intentions) so it remains a dumb complaint for McCarthy.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    It irks me to no end that she gets so much free press. For every loathsome, backwards, trash thing she says and does she gets headlines daily. Just like Trump. She has no committee assignments she doesnt do anything except mouth off and fundraise now. But, she gets millions in free advertising.
    It'd be great if everyone would just quit giving that attention seeker what she wants.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Pelosi has said she won't be Speaker after the 2022 elections no matter what happens.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...-to-secure-the

Politicians do often change their minds, and criticizing someone for being a lame duck seems to discourage good practices (legislative leaders not staying in their post forever and being honest about their intentions) so it remains a dumb complaint for McCarthy.
    Okay, I did not know that. Still wouldn't consider her a lame-duck; if the Democrats do retain in 2022, the next Democratic speaker would probably follow similar lines that Pelosi does. But then, Kevin isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    It'd be great if everyone would just quit giving that attention seeker what she wants.
    Fat chance of that. The media just loves a lunatic like Trashy-Greene who's good for clicks and page views, which is all they care about. Not that the media would ignore the harridan, but if they did, that would only drive her to say and/or do something even crazier or more loathsome to get attention. And when it comes to Qpublicans, there is no floor when it comes to their madness.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Okay, I did not know that. Still wouldn't consider her a lame-duck; if the Democrats do retain in 2022, the next Democratic speaker would probably follow similar lines that Pelosi does. But then, Kevin isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed.
    Best bet for who would be the next speaker, assuming that The Democrats stay in control of the House, Rep. Hakeem Jeffries.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Best bet for who would be the next speaker, assuming that The Democrats stay in control of the House, Rep. Hakeem Jeffries.
    I'd think Adam Schiff and Eric Swalwell might also be looking at a shot at the gavel. For better or worse, those guys find themselves in front of cameras way too much to not have some interest.