Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    It looks like Lindsey Graham is going to be Trump's latest post-presidency conjugal visit. Apparently he and the rest of the GQP want to double down on Trumpism for the midterms.
    This is the guy who predicted that trump would destroy the GOP. I don't understand why anyone would want to be in that party.

I guess my anger and frustration come more from a lack of Consequences for Trump and The GOP.

I have always believed in the rule of law. Even when I was in prison I understood. I broke the law and had to face the Consequences for my actions.

But I see a man who should be following the law more then anyone. But he has broken it and excused others who have so many times I have lost count. And then the actions on the 6th really messed me up. I am still having trouble with it.

And yet there are just no Consequences. No conviction in the Senate, from what I know there is no legal investigation on the 6th aimed at Trump. The GOP has doubled down on kissing his ass and he is not going to prison or anything.

The only ones who faced any kind of negative Consequences are the GOP members who voted to impeach him in the house.

So I guess what I am really mad at is the lack of Consequences.

202 and everything that happened has been hard to process for me. And 2021 doesnt look any better. it is even harder living in a town that has This is Trump country flag right by the city limits sign. And living with a hardcore Trumper and being surrounded by them (Like my land lord) Makes things hard to bear at times.
    Last edited by babyblob; 02-13-2021 at 08:11 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    How? I am not trying to beat a dead horse here. But I am legit asking so that I can understand how is this important for the future? Are you guys seeing something I am not? I am not trying to get bogged down in pointless debate. I am very much trying to understand as I am very confused right now. I am not as aware in politics as many of the people here but I think I have grown a good deal. I am just really trying to understand not anger and offend.
    If we don't hold Trump accountable, the next person who comes along and wants to pull a Trump will do it better. This man encouraged and incited an insurrection. What would have happened those people had gotten a hold of Pence or Pelosi or anyone they felt was a "traitor"?

Like someone else said, if words don't matter then "We the people..." doesn't matter. This has to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    If we don't hold Trump accountable, the next person who comes along and wants to pull a Trump will do it better. This man encouraged and incited an insurrection. What would have happened those people had gotten a hold of Pence or Pelosi or anyone they felt was a "traitor"?

Like someone else said, if words don't matter then "We the people..." doesn't matter. This has to be done.
    The way I see it this will not make anyone who wants to pull this think twice. They see Trump getting away with it and Trump is a dumbass. Trump 2.0 who will be well spoken and much smarter, (Because Hell who isnt) Will not think twice about it because if Trump can do it and get away with it. So can he.

I wont drag the thread down any more. I have given my views and such in a few posts. I will read what you all have posted and give it a lot of thought.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Lordy, there'll be witnesses.

Raskin will call Beutler.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

I guess my anger and frustration come more from a lack of Consequences for Trump and The GOP.

I have always believed in the rule of law. Even when I was in prison I understood. I broke the law and had to face the Consequences for my actions.

But I see a man who should be following the law more then anyone. But he has broken it and excused others who have so many times I have lost count. And then the actions on the 6th really messed me up. I am still having trouble with it.

And yet there are just no Consequences. No conviction in the Senate, from what I know there is no legal investigation on the 6th aimed at Trump. The GOP has doubled down on kissing his ass and he is not going to prison or anything.

The only ones who faced any kind of negative Consequences are the GOP members who voted to impeach him in the house.

So I guess what I am really mad at is the lack of Consequences.
    I'm not happy about the prospect of Trump being Acquitted either, still he has been Impeached twice and he may have to face actual criminal prosecution now that no longer has the shield of the Presidency to protect him.

One way or anther, Trump will be held accountable. And at least now we can see which Republicans side with Trump, and which ones stand for the Nation as a whole.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Mitch confirming he will acquit, also lays out the groundwork for Republicans playing both sides

Not remotely unexpected, but hammers home the game plan here.

By constantly saying that it's unconstitutional/we don't have jurisdiction, they remove the need to go on the record of saying is Trump guilty. They'll be on the record of acquitting for Trump's lunatic cult, but can go to more reasonable Republicans and go 'Well we think he's guilty but that's for a court of law to decide.'

Anyone who's remotely been paying attention can easily point out that it was McConnell who held off the impeachment trial till after inauguration, but Mitch doesn't court the votes of those types anyway.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

The way I see it this will not make anyone who wants to pull this think twice. They see Trump getting away with it and Trump is a dumbass. Trump 2.0 who will be well spoken and much smarter, (Because Hell who isnt) Will not think twice about it because if Trump can do it and get away with it. So can he.

I wont drag the thread down any more. I have given my views and such in a few posts. I will read what you all have posted and give it a lot of thought.
    And we now have the lessons learned from the past four years and the insight derived from that to prepare of that possibility. There are Democrats in Government right now who are drafting legislation to plug holes, strengthen accountability, and improve the system of checks and balances. There will likely be Committee investigations, special commissions, possibly even a special prosecutor if needed.

WATCH: Laughter breaks out in the Senate Chamber after Trump attorney Michael van der Veen insists that any impeachment trial depositions should be done in person in his office in Philadelphia

"I don't know why you're laughing," he says
    Twitter Video Clip

I don't even think he produced Philadelphia correctly. WPP, what do you think?

I guess this sets the precedent that the time during the end of one presidents term and the start of the next is a period where they can do anything with no consequences? Though really, why even stop their, who's to say the next time a Qpublican gains they presidency, they don't overtly sabotaging the electoral process months in advance, after all Trump only didn't succeed because he called in his terrorist supporters to late.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Apparently, McConnell has already decided to vote for acquittal. Which means the majority of Republicans will do the same.

*sigh*
    The only people surprised by that are the beltway media.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Lordy, there'll be witnesses.

Raskin will call Beutler.
    Senate voted 54 - 46 to call witnesses.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Collins, Murkowski, Romney, Sasse and Graham vote yes for witnesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Collins, Murkowski, Romney, Sasse and Graham vote yes for witnesses.
    Was Graham the one who voted no first, then switched to yes when it was clear the ayes had it?

Last edited by PaulBullion; 02-13-2021 at 08:35 AM.

Hillary was right!