https://www.essence.com/op-ed/black-...lles-rhetoric/
    Later, Chappelle likens the relationship between women and trans women to Black people and white people in blackface. His message is clear: trans women aren’t real women and there is no intersectionality between Blackness and the LGBTQ community. Both assertions are incorrect.

Focusing on ‘Dear White People’ Showrunner Ignores The Black Trans Women Who Will Suffer For Dave Chappelle’s Rhetoric
    Moore, a transwoman, works for Netflix, the same streaming service that keeps providing a platform for Chappelle to recycle the same “jokes” he’s been peddling since 2017. And after a third special that has been deemed homophobic and transphobic, she shared that she can no longer work for the company “as long as they continue to put out and profit from blatantly and dangerously transphobic content.” She made her resignation public in a Twitter thread.
    To focus on Moore is to ignore the very sect Chappelle seems to have forgotten: Black trans women. These women are the ones who are most endangered by the notions that they are not “real” or that their existence somehow poses a threat to cisgender women.

Every year since 2013, the number of trans women murdered increases. And every year, Black and Latinx women represent the greatest number of victims.

Members of the trans community have been pleading with us to
    yes, I'm sure that his target is just merely 'woke scolds'. *eyeroll*

People will tell themselves anything.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 10-17-2021 at 07:46 PM.

So I just watched Chapelle on Netflix. Was he wrong in some of what he said? Sure. Did some of the jokes land flat, yep. Can he be criticized, yes. But I also think he said some things that are worth being in the conversation. Not what he said about Trans people. But how we react to comedians.
    I probably need think about this more.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 10-17-2021 at 07:45 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    So I just watched Chapelle on Netflix. Was he wrong in some of what he said? Sure. Did some of the jokes land flat, yep. Can he be criticized, yes. But I also think he said some things that are worth being in the conversation. Not what he said about Trans people. But how we react to comedians.
    Like, comedy can be offensive, I get that, but I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me where anything he said about Trans people is 'funny' and anything other than harmful at this point. There are comedians out there who are just as clever and funny as Chapelle who don't use their platforms to target trans women.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Like, comedy can be offensive, I get that, but I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me where anything he said about Trans people is 'funny' and anything other than harmful at this point. There are comedians out there who are just as clever and funny as Chapelle who don't use their platforms to target trans women.
    What he said about Trans women wasn't funny.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

What he said about Trans women wasn't funny.
    Right. But I keep hearing people defend him because he's a 'comedian'. He wouldn't be getting this pass if it was literally about anything other than trans women at this time.

Right. But I keep hearing people defend him because he's a 'comedian'. He wouldn't be getting this pass if it was literally about anything other than trans women at this time.
    Valid point. As I said, I am still thinking about it.

While I know that I've already said this...

This is roughly equivalent to someone attempting jokes about what they see as the humor in how the police are murdering folks in the here and now.

There are things that are simply across the line.

In a time and place where assaulting and murdering trans folks is still happens on a regular basis? With very little in the way of anything like consequences?

You can seriously shove what you believe about how I should be reacting to your "Comedy..."

You are in the wrong. No waffles.

Never seen or heard any of his stuff…so no idea how offensive it is.

But surely he would get a “pass” if he was talking about a ton of other things?

I can’t really see many people really getting worried if he attacked politicians, lawyers, police, medical profession, etc.

Indeed he may well have chosen this particular material because he knew it was more likely to cause offence and controversy. If so, it says a lot (I think) about his approach to comedy.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 10-17-2021 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post

I can’t really see many people really getting worried if he attacked politicians, lawyers, police, medical profession, etc.

Indeed he may well have chosen this particular material because he knew it was more likely to cause offence and controversy. If so, it says a lot (I think) about his approach to comedy.
    Surely, you can see the difference between attacking trans people and attacking a politician.

Surely, you can see the difference between attacking trans people and attacking a politician.
    Of course, I can.

But you made an incredibly sweeping statement…that he would not get a pass if he dealt with any other subject in a similar way.

I actually think he is more likely to get flak, attract publicity on this particular area than most others…it’s a hot topic.

He may believe that himself,,and wants a reaction. Put it this way…is there any reason to believe he has a genuine interest in the subject?

Of course, I can.

But you made an incredibly sweeping statement…that he would not get a pass if he was dealt with any other subject in a similar way.

I actually think he is more likely to get flak, attract publicity on this particular area than most others…it’s a hot topic.

He may believe that himself,,and wants a reaction. Put it this way…is there any reason to believe he has a genuine interest in the subject?
    No, I didn't. The context means that this is about minority groups so I'm not going to play a game of 'well what if he made a joke about cops'. Come on. He has tons of people diving in to provide him cover and will suffer zero consequences. Consequences will be for the murdered black trans women he doesn't give a **** about.

Instead of cops, consider instead what if he went in and told us gay people weren't real instead? Would you be providing him this kind of rhetorical cover?

No, I didn't. The context means that this is about minority groups so I'm not going to play a game of 'well what if he made a joke about cops'. Come on. He has tons of people diving in to provide him cover and will suffer zero consequences. Consequences will be for the murdered black trans women he doesn't give a **** about.

Instead of cops, consider instead what if he went in and told us gay people weren't real instead? Would you be providing him this kind of rhetorical cover?
    I was reading what you put literally..and was surprised by it…so was asking a questions to find out what you really meant.

I can see now that you really didn’t mean “he would get a pass if it was literally about any other subject”.

I was reading what you put literally..and was surprised by it…so was asking a questions to find out what you really meant.

I can see now that you really didn’t mean “he would get a pass if it was literally about any other subject”.
    *heavy sigh* Yes, I could have said 'literally any other minority group'. I didn't think I had to.

That would probably have a lot to do with the fact that not one of those groups is being assaulted or killed at the rate that trans folks are.

Never mind that it usually happens with right around "Zero..." consequences.

Never mind that the assaults are the butt of a "Joke..." on some websites.

While I guess that I get where you are coming from, nothing that I have seen when it comes to this looks "Apples..."/"Apples..." when you put it up next to the groups that you mentioned.

Seeing this quote from Terry Pratchett making the rounds right now that sums up what the problem is with Chapelle's transphobic rant:

X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.