Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Makes me wonder how the press treated Wallis Simpson back in the day. Were they as harsh as they are towards Meghan?
    There had been plenty of dislike and disgust towards Wallis for two reasons: one, she was American, and two, she was a divorcee, two attributes that made her a pariah to both the public, and the monarchy, a.k.a., “The Firm”.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    She was treated pretty much like a cross between Typhoid Mary and the Whore of Babylon. She was so hated that the king had to give up the throne to be married to her.
    She was pretty close to Nazis.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/...earch.monarchy
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

I don't care if I'm ghoulish, I'm glad the queen's dead.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Makes me wonder how the press treated Wallis Simpson back in the day. Were they as harsh as they are towards Meghan?
    Let's put it this way; the press fucking HATED Diana and only lionized her after the paparazzi killed her. It's all been the same for Meghan.

Considering how American tabloids behave not unlike the British ones, it's easy to figure out what's going to happen next during the period of mourning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I remember reading that the saddest two people on Earth when Edward abdicated were Simpson, who would have preferred to be mistress to king than wife to a Duke, and Adolf Hitler, who lost his man in the Royal family.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    She was pretty close to Nazis.
    So was her husband, King Edward VIII. It's incredible to think what would have happened if he had not abdicated in 1939. Other members of the royal family (which changed its name to "Windsor" from "Saxe-Coburg and Gotha" in 1917) also had close ties to the German regime.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    So was her husband, King Edward VIII. It's incredible to think what would have happened if he had not abdicated in 1939. Other members of the royal family (which changed its name to "Windsor" from "Saxe-Coburg and Gotha" in 1917) also had close ties to the German regime.
    Crazy how life works. If Edward VIII would never have met Wallis Simpson, Elizabeth wouldn't have been queen.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Considering how old he is, he'll probably be knowns as King Charles the Brief.
    His father lived to be 100, his mother to 96, he could easily last 20-25 years, maybe more

Quote Originally Posted by GindyPosts View Post
    Let's put it this way; the press fucking HATED Diana and only lionized her after the paparazzi killed her. It's all been the same for Meghan.

Considering how American tabloids behave not unlike the British ones, it's easy to figure out what's going to happen next during the period of mourning.

That’s not remotely true…Princess Diana received staggering amounts of positive press right from the time she was first engaged to Prince Charles right through to her death. At the time of the divorce the large majority of the press were totally supportive of her, and critical of Charles.

Of course…I’m sure it’s possible to find past articles critical of her…but really there were rare exceptions.

With Meghan initial treatment was similarly positive. But became much less so when she and Harry decided to drop out of royal duties, and opted for a lifestyle that effectively seems to use the “royal connection” for personal gain without discharging any of the responsibilities. If anything, I think the press has been more critical of Harry rather than Meghan.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 09-08-2022 at 11:40 PM.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    William as the eldest son will follow Charles and his son Geaorge will follow him. Harry is in line after Charles, William and Williams kids.
    Number 12 in line is August Brooksbank.

I'm more interested in #29, though. Margaret's grandson.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    I'm more interested in #29, though. Margaret's grandson.

He looks more like Shark Boy grown up than Taylor Lautner does.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

I'd be the last one to defend the British Empire, but takes like "the Queen sent troops into Yemen in the 60s" that I see on twitter show a stunning ignorance about what powers British Royalty has had in modern times.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    "Doctored video where she spits on the corpse from Daily Mail" is my prediction.

Yes. That's why I used the word "try".

Yet again, thanks for being unnecessarily pedantic.
    No, you don't understand. You said "All hell will break loose if they try and declare Camilla queen, to be sure."

She would never to be able to be "Queen" for the same reason Phillip wasn't "King". "King" and "Queen" are the people that ascend to the throne through succession. A "Queen Consort" is the wife of the reigning monarch. So Camilla could never been "Queen".

But as Charles is King, Camilla is already "Queen Consort", there's no "they will try and declare..." or any of the fantasy/ misinformation you were trying to peddle. What will "they try"? She's already Queen Consort since yesterday, duh (and she will be crowned accordingly).

It would help if you got your facts better before commenting.
    Last edited by hyped78; 09-09-2022 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    That’s not remotely true…Princess Diana received staggering amounts of positive press right from the time she was first engaged to Prince Charles right through to her death. At the time of the divorce the large majority of the press were totally supportive of her, and critical of Charles.

Of course…I’m sure it’s possible to find past articles critical of her…but really there were rare exceptions.

With Meghan initial treatment was similarly positive. But became much less so when she and Harry decided to drop out of royal duties, and opted for a lifestyle that effectively seems to use the “royal connection” for personal gain without discharging any of the responsibilities. If anything, I think the press has been more critical of Harry rather than Meghan.
    Yes, totally agree. It's interesting to see how folks in the US have a very different perception of how (most of) the UK media covered Diana and now Harry and Meghan.
    Last edited by hyped78; 09-09-2022 at 01:52 AM.