Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    On paper?

That is an absolutely reasonable plan.

Out in actual reality?

The party has a lot of room for improvement when it comes to selling the voter on that the next time will be the one where the part actually delivers results.

As for those seats you think are a long shot?

I think that you don't ever stop trying to create a situation where government actual does Regular Joe/Jane good. Throwing your hands up on trying to have a back and forth with them is probably not the play.
    I will say it is very hard at times to talk to the other side or even try. my county went full on Trump in both 2016 and 2020. There is a big sign as you enter my city that says

"In New Richmond we believe in 2 things. God and the rightfully elected president Trump." There is a small stink about it because the big sign was paid for with city money and there are threats of a law suit but they have been threatening that and not doing it for over a year. If you talk Biden in this county good luck not getting yelled at. This is a very rural and I will say back ward area.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

On paper?

That is an absolutely reasonable plan.

Out in actual reality?

The party has a lot of room for improvement when it comes to selling the voter on that the next time will be the one where the part actually delivers results.

As for those seats you think are a long shot?

I think that you don't ever stop trying to create a situation where government actual does Regular Joe/Jane good. Throwing your hands up on trying to have a back and forth with them is probably not the play.
    I actually completely agree with you on all of those points.

The Democrats need to get better at messaging. And they need to show, often, that its' Republican obstructionism that is holding things up more than just Manchin and Sinema.

And they need to start investing money in places where they have spent years giving up. If they can field some good candidates, I can see them winning more red seats.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    We need to take some in 2022.

There are 14 Democrats and 20 Republicans up for reelection in 2022. 5 Republicans (Roy Blunt of MO, Richard Burr of NC, Rob Portman of OH, Richard Shelby of AL, and Patrick Toomey of PA) have announced they are retiring. I'm not sure if any Democrat has a chance of winning in those states (we did have Clair McCaskill in MO for years, but the rural areas of the state have gotten redder and tend to overwhelm the major cities during elections).

What worries me is Georgia. With all they are doing to suppress the vote, it will be very hard for Raphael Warnock to win re-election against whatever Trump-loving Republican runs against him.
    Yes, I’d meant to type 2022.
    And yes, Georgia will be a problem the people there will need to work incredibly hard to overcome. Further Republican dominated state legislatures will continue to chip away at the rules if it isn’t stopped now.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Southlake school leader tells teachers to balance Holocaust books with 'opposing' views

This makes me beyond furious. If you hold an 'opposing view' to the Holocaust, you can piss off.

I see people talking about how great it is to live in Texas, and sure, it's beautiful country. But with the government they got on the state level, the way the deregulate utilities and over-regulate women, the restrictions they are placing on businesses and schools- I wouldn't want to live there, let alone raise a child there. I'd even be hesitant to visit, to be honest.
    Why? Its just some Texans being spiteful to try and prove a point. I swear the whole state could run on spite instead of oil at times.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Some of those same comedians shocked audiences back then, too. I've heard some comedians and critics of comedy make the argument that it is the job of comedians to shock people.
    It's fully Chappelle's right to say those things... I'll defend that...

But it's not required of me, or anyone else to be an audience that support him. Nor venues or platforms to provide anything for him to spread it if the audience dwindles.

I realize I've been of similar mind about Bill Maher, but normally on a different marginalized group.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    It's fully Chappelle's right to say those things... I'll defend that...

But it's not required of me, or anyone else to be an audience that support him. Nor venues or platforms to provide anything for him to spread it if the audience dwindles.

I realize I've been of similar mind about Bill Maher, but normally on a different marginalized group.
    That's my take (for different reasons, of course) on tel********** - specifically them insisting that the DO NOT CALL list is an infringement upon their rights. You are only guaranteed the right to speak, you are not given the right to an audience.

If people decide to stop listening/watching people like Chappelle, Maher, or reading books written by people who take horrible stances on things, well, they have no right to an audience.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Biden commission releases research into possible Supreme Court expansion

WASHINGTON —President Joe Biden’s commission on the Supreme Court on Thursday released its initial findings based on months of public hearings and research, laying out arguments related to expanding the size of the court and other issues.

The documents laid out various arguments around reforming the Supreme Court, but made no recommendations. The commission will meet Friday to discuss the findings and begin work on a draft report that will be discussed at a separate meeting. The group is charged with presenting a final report to Biden by mid-November.

On expanding the number of Supreme Court justices, which has become a charged political issue for Democrats and Republicans, the commission laid out a number of factors to be considered, including what effect it would have on the larger judicial system, how the political timing would affect the court's independence, and the example it would set for other countries that could use to to justify tampering with their own judicial systems.
    The group also detailed various scenarios for increasing the size of the court, like doing it gradually over time versus all at once, and addressed other proposed ideas like term limits and having justices associated with political parties.

Biden created the commission in April to study the number of justices on the Supreme Court along with other ways to reform the court system. He first proposed the commission when he was a presidential candidate, in response to pressure from liberals who called for adding justices following the confirmation of Amy Coney Barrett and accusations by Republicans that Biden would pack the court with liberal justices if elected.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    That's my take (for different reasons, of course) on tel********** - specifically them insisting that the DO NOT CALL list is an infringement upon their rights. You are only guaranteed the right to speak, you are not given the right to an audience.

If people decide to stop listening/watching people like Chappelle, Maher, or reading books written by people who take horrible stances on things, well, they have no right to an audience.
    If anyone hits the realm of full-on hate speech, that's where I feel like you lose the right to even have your rights to speak defended.

Chappelle's still short of that, at the moment. So's Maher. Should that change... I might be more disappointed, and less tolerant of them having a platform.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Southlake school leader tells teachers to balance Holocaust books with 'opposing' views

This makes me beyond furious. If you hold an 'opposing view' to the Holocaust, you can piss off.

I see people talking about how great it is to live in Texas, and sure, it's beautiful country. But with the government they got on the state level, the way the deregulate utilities and over-regulate women, the restrictions they are placing on businesses and schools- I wouldn't want to live there, let alone raise a child there. I'd even be hesitant to visit, to be honest.
    Am I angry over this? Yeah. Am I surprised? No. I mean, it's Texas after all, the state where sanity, logic and reason evacuated on the first thing smoking long ago.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Chappelle's comedy has always been about pushing buttons and getting laughs from every segment of population. He did it on his show and he basically joked in stand up about that awhile back.

That he ticked off an Asian woman in his audience due to his comedy and show. I can't really post the jokes made then here...but she complained to promoter about him.

How he mocked her interracial marriage and shouldn't be booked. That was years ago.

He's always pushed the line on things.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Chappelle's comedy has always been about pushing buttons and getting laughs from every segment of population. He did it on his show and he basically joked in stand up about that awhile back.

That he ticked off an Asian woman in his audience due to his comedy and show. I can't really post the jokes made then here...but she complained to promoter about him.

How he mocked her interracial marriage and shouldn't be booked. That was years ago.

He's always pushed the line on things.
    There are enough buttons that someone could leave this one alone, and never lose a step.

This is like Bill Clinton throwing a fit about if he actually owes Monica Lewinsky an apology.

Sometimes, you gotta ask yourself why you are putting that much effort into being a jerk.

That said, they aren't the only two folks guilty of that.

The issue is that Chappelle seems like he is smart enough to be able to grasp the whole of the big picture here.

There are enough buttons that someone could leave this one alone, and never lose a step.

This is like Bill Clinton throwing a fit about if he actually owes Monica Lewinsky an apology.

Sometimes, you gotta ask yourself why you are putting that much effort into being a jerk.
    I won't link the video here. But in it Chappelle tells a PBS reporter essentially that people laugh at things til it comes to them essentially. That in his words it seems that there is no one above jokes being made. (That is what I'm getting from PBS interview maybe he was trying to mean something else)

I can't imagine what todays audience would think of Richard Pryor stand up. That dude was so controversial for 70s that Lorne had to convince NBC executives that Pryor live on tv would be ok.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I won't link the video here. But in it Chappelle tells a PBS reporter essentially that people laugh at things til it comes to them essentially. That in his words it seems that there is no one above jokes being made. (That is what I'm getting from PBS interview maybe he was trying to mean something else)

I can't imagine what todays audience would think of Richard Pryor stand up. That dude was so controversial for 70s that Lorne had to convince NBC executives that Pryor live on tv would be ok.
    One guy's take...

Making an exception for white folks and the cops, count up how many times Pryor took this kind of a shot at a group he was not actually a part of.

I'm not even sure that someone would need one hand.

One guy's take...

Making an exception for white folks and the cops, count up how many times Pryor took this kind of a shot at a group he was not actually a part of.

I'm not even sure that someone would need one hand.
    We have to remember Pryor would in stand up rip a lot of things. Again i can't post it but a stand up from 1971 has him say the F word describing gay men (and seems to admit being bi sexual). He is more known discussing his issues with women (which nowadays would get people mad).
    There are more comedians ...imagine Don Rickles in todays time. And that guy lived to insult...everyone it seems. Since his humor was insult comedy.

A lot of comedy then...you have to wonder how modern day audiences would handle it ?