Page 288 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 1882382782842852862872882892902912922983383887881288 ... LastLast
Results 4,306 to 4,320 of 75153

In quieter news, looks like Amy Klobachar may have withdrawn her name for consideration for the VP position.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    In quieter news, looks like Amy Klobachar may have withdrawn her name for consideration for the VP position.
    Her argument that Biden's running mate should be a woman of color also kneecaps Elizabeth Warren.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I have to admit, I had no idea that Juneteenth existed until the company I work for (Square) made it a paid holiday- about 2 weeks ago.
    A lot of discussions about motivations about political figures are based on the understanding that all sides care about the same things and have always had the same frame of reference.

Plenty of people did know about Juneteenth earlier, for regional reasons and because it got some coverage in corners of the media a few years back, but Trump taking credit for making Juneteenth be well-known might play well with swing voters, who tend to be less informed.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 06-18-2020 at 08:34 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    but Trump taking credit for making Juneteenth be well-known might play well with swing voters, who tend to be less informed.
    Swing voters are less informed? What? Swing voters are the voters who actually judge by candidate rather than blindly voting for ideology or party regardless of who the candidate is.

Anyway, I never heard of Juneteenth til Trump and if it had been a thing the last 21 years I would have noticed as June 19th also happens to be my daughter's birthday so its a day I tend to pay more attention to than others.

Not voting for Trump over it as why would this make me want to vote for Trump? Pretty sure I'm not voting for Biden either at this point. A pox on them all though it would require more typing than I want to do right now to explain why I've turned so hard on Biden in last two weeks. I'm either voting 3rd party or not at all. Its just a choice of lube at this point as they **** America up the ***.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Her argument that Biden's running mate should be a woman of color also kneecaps Elizabeth Warren.

A lot of discussions about motivations about political figures are based on the understanding that all sides care about the same things and have always had the same frame of reference.

Plenty of people did know about Juneteenth earlier, for regional reasons and because it got some coverage in corners of the media a few years back, but Trump taking credit for making Juneteenth be well-known might play well with swing voters, who tend to be less informed.
    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Swing voters are less informed? What? Swing voters are the voters who actually judge by candidate rather than blindly voting for ideology or party regardless of who the candidate is.

Anyway, I never heard of Juneteenth til Trump and if it had been a thing the last 21 years I would have noticed as June 19th also happens to be my daughter's birthday so its a day I tend to pay more attention to than others.

Not voting for Trump over it as why would this make me want to vote for Trump? Pretty sure I'm not voting for Biden either at this point. A pox on them all though it would require more typing than I want to do right now to explain why I've turned so hard on Biden in last two weeks. I'm either voting 3rd party or not at all. Its just a choice of lube at this point as they **** America up the ***.
    “Swing Voters” cover a large swath of potentially significant voters, and so they could be anything from the aloof wild card who usually finds both parties sub-optimal, to the guy who forgot there was an election, saw the sign for a candidate, and voted for him because he recognized the name.

*This* particular election is perhaps unique in that it could be argued that anyone who hasn't made up their mind by *now* is just a bit foolish; the coronavirus and the economic downturn have ensured Trump’s flaws have spread over almost everyone, so even the most selfish voter has to look at what values and strategies they value/cling to in evaluating four more years of Trump aware of at least some major deficiencies.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I got mocked by a few, the joke is on you guys, when I brought up the Purge in Atlanta and cops walking out. Not long after I posted and was mocked all the national media picked up on it so I obviously wasn't wrong.

Well it continued today and tonight. 1 officer, ONE, showed up in one of the districts this morning when there are normally 24-30 officers. The Blue Flue or mass exodus, whatever you want to call it, continued tonight despite the $500 bribe offered to all Atlanta cops today as a bonus - if you didn't see all Atlanta officers were given a bonus of $500 today. Hate the cops if you want. Fire them if you want for blu fluing / striking. You still have next to no cops in Atlanta and this is about to happen everywhere the way things are going. The cop haters and critics certainly aren't going to step up to the plate, despite their keyboard expertise, all while preaching about how they think the job should be done. Atlanta survived through the lies the Mayor told about having enough cops to cover calls but the reality is that over 500 911 calls went unanswered. The lie is exposed now and the criminals know there are no cops. How bad will it get tonight? I'll be happy if come tomorrow it things turn out okay come morning, I just wouldn't bet on it.

BANNED

A cop uninformed about black history? Say it ain't so...

I got mocked by a few, the joke is on you guys, when I brought up the Purge in Atlanta and cops walking out. Not long after I posted and was mocked all the national media picked up on it so I obviously wasn't wrong.

Well it continued today and tonight. 1 officer, ONE, showed up in one of the districts this morning when there are normally 24-30 officers. The Blue Flue or mass exodus, whatever you want to call it, continued tonight despite the $500 bribe offered to all Atlanta cops today as a bonus - if you didn't see all Atlanta officers were given a bonus of $500 today. Hate the cops if you want. Fire them if you want for blu fluing / striking. You still have next to no cops in Atlanta and this is about to happen everywhere the way things are going. The cop haters and critics certainly aren't going to step up to the plate, despite their keyboard expertise, all while preaching about how they think the job should be done. Atlanta survived through the lies the Mayor told about having enough cops to cover calls but the reality is that over 500 911 calls went unanswered. The lie is exposed now and the criminals know there are no cops. How bad will it get tonight? I'll be happy if come tomorrow it things turn out okay come morning, I just wouldn't bet on it.
    Nice job of supporting the police refusing to show up for duty unless they're allowed to get away with murder. You're a true kind soul in a dark world there sir.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I live in one of the most racially diverse parts of the country, and I didn't know about Juneteenth until now. Don't remember it ever being mentioned in any way, even in the local news.
    I had heard of it before but I can't remember the context though and it was fairly recent...maybe within the past couple of years. I do recall when I was in school they started honoring Black History Month but this never came up. Maybe too horrific? Most of it was more positive like the accomplishments and so forth.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-18-2020 at 10:34 PM.

Ultimate Member

I got mocked by a few, the joke is on you guys, when I brought up the Purge in Atlanta and cops walking out.
    So the "joke" is on us that cops are refusing to uphold their oaths and walking out on their job because they are finally being held accountable for unnecessarily and often unlawfully shooting black men in the back and killing them.

Thanks for making it clear where you stand on the issue.

And likewise making it clear why many people feel far too many officers of the law lack integrity and are outright hypocritical with regards to issues of community service, lawful and just behavior and personal responsibility.

The fact that you've seen the damage that Trump has done to this country and still are claiming Biden is just as bad says everything that needs to be said about your judgment with regards to politics -- I take consolation in the fact that the next generation likely won't be as destructively apathetic, willfully ignorant and blatantly racist as the one that came before.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Nice job of supporting the police refusing to show up for duty unless they're allowed to get away with murder. You're a true kind soul in a dark world there sir.
    Everyone knows that's what true heroes do -- Spider-Man, Wonder Woman, Captain America, Daredevil (etc) -- they would all go on strike and refuse to protect the public after finally being held accountable for decades of shooting black men in the back and killing them.

Edit: It's a mistake to say "black men" because that plays into the wrong narrative by negating the deaths of women like Breonna Taylor -- the black EMT who was just lying in her bed asleep when she was shot and killed by the police or Atianna Jefferson who was shot and killed just for standing near the window of her home.

It's honestly pathetic that so many people in this country want to act as if these deaths are just something that black people should accept as a fact of life when in reality no one should be allowed to openly abuse and murder people without consequence, regardless of their "job description".

Including -- and especially -- officers who have sworn to uphold the law.

Again -- this is all to avoid addressing what always preceeds these reactions -- police brutality and the lack of consequence for said behavior.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-18-2020 at 10:55 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Florida Sees Record Number Of Coronavirus Cases As Experts Eye Possible New Epicenter

The Sunshine State has “all the makings of the next large epicenter,” according to scientists at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. And the NBA is planning to restart the season in Florida. If I'm Commissioner Adam Silver, I do a 180 and put the kibosh on that plan fast. Better to let the rest of the season die than become part of a statewide petri dish.

Fauci Warns Of Troubling ‘Anti-Science’ Beliefs As Nation Battles Coronavirus

“That’s unfortunate because, you know, science is truth,” the infectious disease expert said. Problem is, Trump, his followers and the Republican Party HATE the truth.

Oklahoma Republicans Speak Out Against Trump Ahead Of Tulsa Rally

“Trump is a danger to our country,” a GOP voter named Nancy says in the spot set to air on Fox News in the state. That much is obvious.

Trump Rips Supreme Court Ruling That Saves DACA: ‘Shotgun Blasts Into The Face’

The court ruled that the Trump administration’s decision to end the program was “arbitrary” and “capricious.” What a coincidence those are words Trump probably can't even pronounce, much less understand.

Senior State Department Official Resigns Over Trump’s Response To Racial Injustice

Mary Elizabeth Taylor, one of the highest-ranking Black officials in the administration, said Trump’s actions “cut sharply against my core values.” My question to this woman: What took you THIS LONG to figure out Trump wasn't about your "core values"?

CBS Reporter Paula Reid Asks Trump Question All Journalists Should Ask

The White House correspondent asked the president, “Why do you keep hiring people that you believe are wackos and liars?”
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I mean, speaking just for myself, I mocked you for saying it was gonna be like Purge Night, which shows you paid 0 attention to the glaring subtext of the movies and definitely didn't watch the most recent one.

BTW, nothing as such happened, so yeah, I stand by my mockery.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 06-19-2020 at 03:27 AM.

"Let us be terrible at our job, or we won't do them."

That kind of mentality just proves the protesters points about there needing to be reform. It's shocking (or should be shocking, at this point it's predictable) in its lack of self awareness.
    Last edited by Kusanagi; 06-19-2020 at 04:00 AM.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    "Let us be terrible at our job, or we won't do them."

That kind of mentality just proves the protesters points about their needing to be reform. It's shocking (or should be shocking, at this point it's predictable) in its lack of self awareness.
    I'd say it's more like arrogance, not to mention a horrible circle the wagons mentality when it comes to toeing the thin blue line and protecting bad apples that should be dumped instead.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Remember how you complained that Derek Chauvin made you look bad?

What happened dude?