And under the category of What the Bleep?

Virginia substitute teacher suspended over comments backing Russia's invasion of Ukraine

ARLINGTON, Va. — A Virginia substitute teacher has been suspended after expressing approval of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s decision to invade Ukraine and urging students to read Russian propaganda outlets.

Arlington Public Schools suspended John Stanton, 65, who made the comments during a middle school Spanish class Friday, The Washington Post reported.

Stanton said he offered an opposing viewpoint and told students to read as many news sources as possible, including Sputnik News, which the FBI, CIA and National Security Agency have declared a “state-run propaganda machine.”

“The statement I think that got me was I said, ‘I personally support the logic of Putin,’ and what I meant by that is, he made a rational decision from his perception,” Stanton said.
    Stanton, whose résumé lists roles as an American Enterprise Institute researcher and “independent journalist,” said he writes for outlets such as Pravda.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I'm eager to hear the unequivocally correct approach to these questions, as well as the evidence for it.
    Ample evidence of the benefits for gender-affirming care has already been presented, and the points you have rallied to defend have already been thoroughly pointed to as debunked with valid scientific studies, and yet here you are, demanding 'evidence' that you'll never allow yourself to be satisfied with because the entire point of the narrative you are subscribing to is to prevent transition by trans kids, hoping that by delaying it they will suddenly not be trans.

Instead, the laws you are seeking to defend, in preventing hormone treatments that start at 16, are instead consigning a child to go through physical changes associated with their assigned sex that they do not wish to go through. If a girl started growing a beard, they'd assign her anti-androgens and HRT to ensure she developed in line with her self-conception and identity, and no one would bat an eyelash. A trans kid says they're trans, however, and suddenly you want to deny them gender-affirming care for 'reasons'.

This is nothing more than rank transphobia and hope for the success of conversion therapy or simply keeping them in the closet.

If you want to protect 'the children', then access to gender affirming care for *all children* is a necessity.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 03-03-2022 at 08:11 AM.

Perhaps I'm more on edge than usual lately but this is concerning with everything going on. Could be nothing, could be China.

Mass blackouts reported across parts of Taiwan
    https://www.hindustantimes.com/world...31819-amp.html

State-run Taipower said a malfunction occurred at Kaohsiung's Hsinta power plant, the island's third-largest coal-fired station which supplies around a seventh of Taiwan's power.

It then caused an ultra-high voltage station in neighbouring Tainan to trip, which led to the blackouts, it said.

The outage hit about 5.5 million homes across Taiwan, the company said, of which 4 million have since had power restored.

Economic minister Wang Mei-hua told reporters the Hsinta plant has been cut off from the power system after the incident, with hydro and other power plants being brought online to supply electricity.

TV footage showed police officers directing cars as traffic lights failed and some shops were forced to stay closed due to the lack of power..
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

[QUOTE=AnakinFlair;5955874]Never underestimate a tyrannical despot's willingness to burn the world down around them rather than lose. Hitler gave the order to scorch the earth. He didn't care that his own people would suffer, just that the Allies wouldn't be able to get anything out of Germany. And it wasn't like he was planning on living with the consequences, either.

It's been rumored that Putin has been ill for some time. He had Covid not too long ago; it's possible that he has Parkinsons. That's why I don't doubt he's probably willing to use nuclear weapons- he may think he doesn't have long for this world, and he's willing to take everyone else out with him.

I would like to think that he wants to go down in the history books as a liberator, rather than a destroyer. So, no he will not cause a WW3. My prediction is: He will occupy Ukrainia, after that he tries to negotiate again about the sanctions. Depends on how it works out for him he will take a look at other non Nato countrys. Or he will attack them anyway, doesn't matter the outcome of the negotiations.

But he will not attack the Nato.

Further down in the headlines... Texas Republican Congressman Van Taylor, currently in a run off election... Van Taylor has dropped his re-election bid after admitting he was having an affair with the widow of a former U.S. born recruiter for ISIS. She has been trying to reprogram extremists, and it seems there's one not from the Islamic State she had a very unique way of convincing a different path.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Further down in the headlines... Texas Republican Congressman Van Taylor, currently in a run off election... Van Taylor has dropped his re-election bid after admitting he was having an affair with the widow of a former U.S. born recruiter for ISIS. She has been trying to reprogram extremists, and it seems there's one not from the Islamic State she had a very unique way of convincing a different path.
    I saw that! Meant to send up the WBE alarm about it but wound up getting distracted with all the rampant transphobia.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Any argument that begins “Putin will never….” is deeply flawed. It assumes his behaviour is rational. It’s simply not so!

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I saw that! Meant to send up the WBE alarm about it but wound up getting distracted with all the rampant transphobia.
    It would seem conservatives would rather lie about trans people as a distraction from the fact that they've been supporting politicians backing a foreign adversary who's a murderous dictator currently carrying out war crimes. That, and that there's a wing of domestic terrorists who plotted a coup attempt with other members of the Republican Party last year who are all on trial for that seditious conspiracy.

[QUOTE=DanMad1977;5955898]
    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Never underestimate a tyrannical despot's willingness to burn the world down around them rather than lose. Hitler gave the order to scorch the earth. He didn't care that his own people would suffer, just that the Allies wouldn't be able to get anything out of Germany. And it wasn't like he was planning on living with the consequences, either.

It's been rumored that Putin has been ill for some time. He had Covid not too long ago; it's possible that he has Parkinsons. That's why I don't doubt he's probably willing to use nuclear weapons- he may think he doesn't have long for this world, and he's willing to take everyone else out with him.

I would like to think that he wants to go down in the history books as a liberator, rather than a destroyer. So, no he will not cause a WW3. My prediction is: He will occupy Ukrainia, after that he tries to negotiate again about the sanctions. Depends on how it works out for him he will take a look at other non Nato countrys. Or he will attack them anyway, doesn't matter the outcome of the negotiations.

No sane man would attack Nato. But considering the consequences of invading Ukraine, is that really the move of a sane man?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    It would seem conservatives would rather lie about trans people as a distraction from the fact that they've been supporting politicians backing a foreign adversary who's a murderous dictator currently carrying out war crimes. That, and that there's a wing of domestic terrorists who plotted a coup attempt with other members of the Republican Party last year who are all on trial for that seditious conspiracy.
    Twitter thread I was posting about just vanished :P
    Last edited by Tendrin; 03-03-2022 at 09:14 AM.

Twitter thread I was posting about just vanished :P
    I should also add they probably don't want to talk about how new cases of Covid-19 have dropped to their lowest levels in nine months, as if the vaccines, testing, and organizational treatment methods across American healthcare the CDC are implementing are working against the Omicron variant, in spite of conservatives' best efforts to allow the disease to run unchecked.

Ample evidence of the benefits for gender-affirming care has already been presented, and the points you have rallied to defend have already been thoroughly pointed to as debunked with valid scientific studies, and yet here you are, demanding 'evidence' that you'll never allow yourself to be satisfied with because the entire point of the narrative you are subscribing to is to prevent transition by trans kids, hoping that by delaying it they will suddenly not be trans.

Instead, the laws you are seeking to defend, in preventing hormone treatments that start at 16, are instead consigning a child to go through physical changes associated with their assigned sex that they do not wish to go through. If a girl started growing a beard, they'd assign her anti-androgens and HRT to ensure she developed in line with her self-conception and identity, and no one would bat an eyelash. A trans kid says they're trans, however, and suddenly you want to deny them gender-affirming care for 'reasons'.

This is nothing more than rank transphobia and hope for the success of conversion therapy or simply keeping them in the closet.

If you want to protect 'the children', then access to gender affirming care for *all children* is a necessity.
    To demand the perfect right answer in order to refute an abviously.wrong one is a disingenuous fallacy on Mets part anyways. It is much easier to realize something doesn't work - before the Wright brothers flew everyone knew that the answer wasn't flapping your arms harder. This is the same - even someone who doesn't know how to deal with someone coming out as transgender (or even just asking questions) is NOT to make them afraid of losing their family.
    Dark does not mean deep.

[QUOTE=DanMad1977;5955898]
    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Never underestimate a tyrannical despot's willingness to burn the world down around them rather than lose. Hitler gave the order to scorch the earth. He didn't care that his own people would suffer, just that the Allies wouldn't be able to get anything out of Germany. And it wasn't like he was planning on living with the consequences, either.

You're assuming he cares what the history books think of him. Some people like him don't care about that, because they know they won't be around. All he seems to care about is how he looks RIGHT NOW.

While we're on the subject of things the GOP wants to "memory hole" right now... how about what this group of Republican Senators were up to on July 4th, 2018?

[QUOTE=Zelena;5955934]
    Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post

No sane man would attack Nato. But considering the consequences of invading Ukraine, is that really the move of a sane man?
    His troops would be absolutely smashed if he was to attack NATO right now. Based on his (Putin) miscalculation that they could take out the Ukrainians with poorly trained conscripts in a Baghdad-like "Speed Run" to the capital was pure 100% arrogance.

Russian war-planners must be frightened & bewildered by the position that Putin has put his military in. This is going to escalate above & beyond horrific war crime levels of brutality.

These brave, daring Ukrainians are not just fighting for their country, but they will be fighting to prevent their complete annihilation.