Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But those limits are part of the checks & balances system so that no one branch of our government can go too far off the rails without one of the other branches having a way to try and step in.

Besides, would you have liked Trump to have as much control as you wish Joe Biden had?
    Thats what the GOP wanted. I mean Hell look at all the illegals who voted in the last election, and all the wrong sort who voted in GA and cost Trump. I mean according to Fox news Millions of illegals voted. At least according to my aunt. UGH!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Boisterously Confused

I'm a little curious about what's happening inside the GOP following Trump's cease and desist order. The RNC will sit still for Der Fuhrer's orders, but there have got to be any number of them bitterly seething with a desire to be rid of him.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I'm a little curious about what's happening inside the GOP following Trump's cease and desist order. The RNC will sit still for Der Fuhrer's orders, but there have got to be any number of them bitterly seething with a desire to be rid of him.
    I mean even if there are they will not say so publicly. I mean Hell Mitch after the trail said Trump caused the riot on the 6th then what 3 days later on Fox news said he would support him as the candidate in 2024. On the 6th you had some Republicans speaking out about how bad what happened on the 6th was and people need to be help accountable but back tracked the next day. They will only stand up to Trump if they think it will help them get reelected or elected in the first place.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Swiss ‘burka ban’ accepted by slim majority

They tried to do this a few years ago and it didn't work out back then. Some of these posters though...
    Not that surprised that a mostly white, mostly affluent country is racist.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    http://https://frontier.yahoo.com/li...002130329.html

This is how you deal with "problematic" films. You don't lock them away and pretend like they never happened. You air them, you discuss them and you learn from them. You learn to do better in the future.
    I actually like what TCM is doing there, but that article still reads like it was written by a dudebro armpit.

channel defies cancel culture

Turner Classic Movies is pushing back against the woke movement
    They could have just written that the channel is trying a different approach to problematic movies by starting a conversation.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Not that surprised that a mostly white, mostly affluent country is racist.
    Honestly I wouldn't go that far. If you travel to many muslim countries they expect you to follow certain dress laws as well.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    What should be done about Gone With the Wind? Should it be treated the same way as If I Ran the Zoo, with Warner Brothers and Ebay delisting it? Should critics who considered it a great movie be fired?
    And what about Jud Süß and Triumph des Willens?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    And what about Jud Süß and Triumph des Willens?
    Exactly. IN Europe, nobody wishes to burn those movies nor do critics consider them great movies. They are preserved as evidences of past complicity and anti-semitic evidence.

SO Griffith, Gone with the Wind, and other horror-shows should be treated in the same way. Not destroyed or anything but definitely not institutionalized.

For a variety of reasons, movies about American genocide (various westerns) and slavery (GWTW) still have some kind of popular favor in a way the Nazi movies don't.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Exactly. IN Europe, nobody wishes to burn those movies nor do critics consider them great movies. They are preserved as evidences of past complicity and anti-semitic evidence.

SO Griffith, Gone with the Wind, and other horror-shows should be treated in the same way. Not destroyed or anything but definitely not institutionalized.

For a variety of reasons, movies about American genocide (various westerns) and slavery (GWTW) still have some kind of popular favor in a way the Nazi movies don't.
    The rights to Jud Süß are owned by a charitable foundation which tightly controls when and where it can be shown. Basically for academic purposes. They sued a Hungarian neo-nazi party for illegally screening the film.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I mean even if there are they will not say so publicly. I mean Hell Mitch after the trail said Trump caused the riot on the 6th then what 3 days later on Fox news said he would support him as the candidate in 2024. On the 6th you had some Republicans speaking out about how bad what happened on the 6th was and people need to be help accountable but back tracked the next day. They will only stand up to Trump if they think it will help them get reelected or elected in the first place.
    Yeah, but McConnell had been recently reelected, and it's unlikely he'll seek another term since he'll in his early 80's once this one ends, so he had no reason to kiss Trump's ass. That bit of fealty made no sense to me.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

The scope of the problem is totally different. The Germans at least have a semi-plausible claim that the Nazi period was not indicative of their history and culture as a whole and can just restrict anything having to do with that era to its own hermetically sealed bin, but if America were to try to eliminate every part of our history that has anything to do with genocide, slavery, or racism, we'd have literally nothing left, we wouldn't even have a country at all.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Yeah, but McConnell had been recently reelected, and it's unlikely he'll seek another term since he'll in his early 80's once this one ends, so he had no reason to kiss Trump's ass. That bit of fealty made no sense to me.
    The only thing I can think of is the Republican running to take his seat when he retires. They can be pro Trump and then still get the endorsement of Mitch at the same time.

So, Roy Blunt will not run again in 2022.

Could Democrats take this one?

Hillary was right!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Honestly I wouldn't go that far. If you travel to many muslim countries they expect you to follow certain dress laws as well.
    That’s probably more along the lines of sexism. Though, staying on Switzerland, what even remotely practical purpose does this ban serve, anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    I actually like what TCM is doing there, but that article still reads like it was written by a dudebro armpit.

They could have just written that the channel is trying a different approach to problematic movies by starting a conversation.
    Oh yeah, the headline for the article made me cringe a bit. While I agree with TCM's policy, I hate that douchebags like Joe Rogan think this puts them on the same side as TCM.
    Watching television is not an activity.