Those conservative voices we can't go a day without hearing sure are being silenced.

Good news!

A federal judge blocked parts of Florida's new law prohibiting hormone treatments for trans minors.

Judge Robert Hinkle said 'gender identity is real' and endorsed medical treatment for trans kids.

The ruling is a temporary victory for civil rights groups, but the broader law remains in effect.

Saying "gender identity is real," a federal judge on Tuesday temporarily blocked portions of a new Florida law that bans transgender minors from receiving puberty blockers and cross-sex hormones, ruling the state has no rational basis for denying patients treatment.

Judge Robert Hinkle issued a preliminary injunction, saying three transgender children can continue receiving treatment. The lawsuit challenges the law Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis signed shortly before announcing a run for president.

"The elephant in the room should be noted at the outset. Gender identity is real. The record makes this clear," Hinkle wrote in his ruling, adding that even a witness for the state agreed. Transgender medical treatment for minors is increasingly under attack, but has been available for over a decade and is endorsed by major medical associations, Hinkle noted.

The law bans treatment with "GnRH agonists, known as puberty blockers, and cross-sex hormones" for minors. Hinkle wrote that the "treatments at issue are GnRH agonists, colloquially known as 'puberty blockers,' and cross-sex hormones."

"The overwhelming weight of medical authority supports treatment of transgender patients with GnRH agonists and cross-sex hormones in appropriate circumstances," Hinkle wrote. He said the plaintiffs will likely prevail, as "qualified professionals have properly evaluated the children's medical conditions and needs in accordance with the well-established standards of care."
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/ron-desan...184134165.html

Expertise and the needs of the children in question, not whether or not conservatives think its 'icky', is what matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Do you think they would have been okay with drag queen story hour in 2007?
    Well, maybe not 2007, but Drag Queen Story Hour has been a thing since 2015. That's 8 years. But Republicans have only lost their **** about it in the last two or three years. So stop being so damn disingenuous about it.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Forums that appeal to non-random groups can very easily become more welcoming to partisans on whatever side without that being the initial intent.

Some interests appeal more to conservatives. By all accounts, hardcore sports fans (with the exception of basketball) are more likely to be conservative.

https://psmag.com/news/passionate-sp...-wing-policies

Political views tend to correlate with population density, so a community of people who live in cities is more likely to be left-leaning, while a rural community is more likely to be right-leaning. Some regional message boards may reflect that bias, especially when you take red and blue states into account.

Another facet is that a place can end up attracting more people with a sort of feedback loop. Liberals like a political forum, and recommend it to others around them who have similar views; conservatives get piled on more, and opt to leave.

There's also a potential issue with groups becoming more extreme without ideological diversity. Part of it comes from a desire to signal that you're on the right side no matter the specifics, which tends to discourage nuanced conversation about tradeoffs and gradations, which may be seen as suspicious because every now and then people on the right side are called out for mistakes. The research into group polarization suggests people can end up becoming more extreme after a little while than any individual member was in the beginning.
    I agree. This forum is related to a hobby that requires the ability to read on an elevated level and follow complex storylines. It's likely to have more left leaning users. A gun forum or a Nascar forum is likely to look different.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by JT221 View Post
    Well, this particular forum definitely leans a bit to the left. Must have been hard to have any other view during the last election cycle.
    I don't have a problem with other views as long as they are (a) based in reality and (b) don't invite violence on minorities. Hate is not an opinion.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Is this an issue where the right changed its position?

In what concrete ways have conservatives gone radically right, relative to where they were a few years ago?
    The support of (or "stanning of") authoritarian strongmen like Putin, Kim Jong Un and Victor Orban comes to mind. Open embrace of White Nationalism. Dismantling of institutions like the EPA (which was created under a Republican president).

Hillary was right!

Do you think they would have been okay with drag queen story hour in 2007?
    Rudy Giuliani shot a clip of himself doing drag with Donald Trump. Do you all have amnesia?

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Ive said more then once their views have not changed. I dont know what other answer you are looking for.

But the fact they are more vocal about it shows they have been come more extreme. Before they had enough shame to hide how they felt. Now they just throw themselves all out and dont bother to hide the hate.

The problem is not just that they are making these laws and pouting so much hate at the Trans community. It is just that they feel safe enough to do so. And that is a feeling that comes from their fellow GOP law makers and their base.

You keep along how 2007 GOP would react. They were not voting to ban books, keep gay and Trans from even being mentioned in schools, targeting pride month, passing laws to keep drag queens out of public.

That is a new thing in the last couple years. You need to ask yourself what it is about your party that made them feel this is okay now as opposed to 2007
    Mets isn't actually looking for an answer because every time an answer gets a reply it either gets ignored or goal posts gets moved, which is some vintage Mets and at this point I have no clue why anyone interacts with them in any shape or form. As a supposed "good" conservative he's either really obtuse or working on bad faith.

I don't post much if rarely on the thread but I enjoy reading through it from time to time so I've seen some clear M.Os in regards to posting habits and the like and man, some are really damn tiring to read lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Good news!

Expertise and the needs of the children in question, not whether or not conservatives think its 'icky', is what matters.
    It's a good start but unfortunately is a narrow ruling at the moment, so it only applies to the 3 plaintiffs right now, others can be added for minors but it unfortunately doesn't touch the adult ban at the moment. I am glad that the judge called it out exactly for what it was though, I can only hope as these cases progress they end up in front of more judges like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Well, maybe not 2007, but Drag Queen Story Hour has been a thing since 2015. That's 8 years. But Republicans have only lost their **** about it in the last two or three years. So stop being so damn disingenuous about it.
    It was much more niche a few years ago.

Republicans didn't know about it, because it was something that mainly some occasional events in San Francisco and Brooklyn.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Ive said more then once their views have not changed. I dont know what other answer you are looking for.

But the fact they are more vocal about it shows they have been come more extreme. Before they had enough shame to hide how they felt. Now they just throw themselves all out and dont bother to hide the hate.

The problem is not just that they are making these laws and pouting so much hate at the Trans community. It is just that they feel safe enough to do so. And that is a feeling that comes from their fellow GOP law makers and their base.

You keep along how 2007 GOP would react. They were not voting to ban books, keep gay and Trans from even being mentioned in schools, targeting pride month, passing laws to keep drag queens out of public.

That is a new thing in the last couple years. You need to ask yourself what it is about your party that made them feel this is okay now as opposed to 2007
    You said that they were always against trans and that they've been making more extreme statements than they would have a few years ago. And I'm not sure that's true.

A relevant factor in the question of what the 2007 GOP would do is that society was a bit different. There weren't as many corporate pride promotions. There were less efforts to teach gay and trans themed topics to elementary school students. In 2007, none of the candidates in a competitive Democratic presidential primary was willing to openly support gay marriage (even as a way to stick out among base voters.)

Mets, when your party started trying to ban drag and introduced legislation to do so, I posted about it, and you responded, "Yes, but how many GOP members will actually VOTE for it?"

This was especially rich coming from you. I think many of us on this board will understand why that is.
    I think I took you guys literally and didn't realize that you were exaggerating the law. I don't like it, but it doesn't ban drag in the way heroin is banned.

Good news!

The 'icky' comment was a reference to a film critic for the New York Times suggesting there should be more kink in Disney's The Little Mermaid.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Rudy Giuliani shot a clip of himself doing drag with Donald Trump. Do you all have amnesia?
    Giuliani's not exactly seen as a drag queen.

The audience of the sketch was not expecting him to be a contestant on RuPaul's Drag Race.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I think I took you guys literally and didn't realize that you were exaggerating the law. I don't like it, but it doesn't ban drag in the way heroin is banned.
    That's horse ****, doesn't address the point I raised, and changes nothing about what I said or what you said at the time. It is merely another fine example of you attempting painfully rather obvious evasion.

The 'icky' comment was a reference to a film critic for the New York Times suggesting there should be more kink in Disney's The Little Mermaid.
    And yet, conservatives finding things icky explains a lot of our current politics, though it was pretty weird you wanted to make that about 'liberals', another good example of the way a conservative can read something and extrapolate it to the entire party, like a logo on a t-shirt, while simultaneously demanding that the actual legislation introduced by their party not be seen as a meaningful representation of what their party stands for.

Hypocrite.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 06-07-2023 at 04:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    Mets isn't actually looking for an answer because every time an answer gets a reply it either gets ignored or goal posts gets moved, which is some vintage Mets and at this point I have no clue why anyone interacts with them in any shape or form. As a supposed "good" conservative he's either really obtuse or working on bad faith.

I don't post much if rarely on the thread but I enjoy reading through it from time to time so I've seen some clear M.Os in regards to posting habits and the like and man, some are really damn tiring to read lol.
    Yeah, I noticed he only replied to my "Rudy in Drag" post, not the list of things I provided where conservatives (the label doesn't even fit anymore!) moved to the right.

Hillary was right!

Giuliani's not exactly seen as a drag queen.

The audience of the sketch was not expecting him to be a contestant on RuPaul's Drag Race.
    Do you think a high ranking Republican politician would still show himself in drag nowadays the way that former presidential candidate Rudolph William Louis Giuliani did in this clip? If not, why not?

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Do you think a high ranking Republican politician would still show himself in drag nowadays the way that former presidential candidate Rudolph William Louis Giuliani did in this clip? If not, why not?
    Rudy isn't the only hypocritical Republican to be seen in drag.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

And for the record once more: No one exaggerated any law. A certain someone is just trying to downplay transphobia and anti LGBTQ+ bigotry. AGAIN.