Page 234 of 492 FirstFirst ... 134184224230231232233234235236237238244284334 ... LastLast
Results 3,496 to 3,510 of 7368
  1. #3496

  2. #3497
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Perhaps if a slogan is not meant to be taken literally, there was a major communications error in the adoption of said slogan.
    Mission Accomplished.

  3. #3498
    Ultimate Member Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    Mission Accomplished.
    And Democrats took the Senate in 2006. Obama won 365 electoral votes against the Republican nominee in 2008.

    Political opponents are going to take advantage of bad slogans.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  4. #3499
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,069

    Default

    Not sure why the far right think removing Confederate statues means we're rewriting history. The history is still there, we're just not going to honor people that wanted to keep slavery thriving.

  5. #3500
    "Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,784

    Default

    I'm not sure what you are bragging about.

    Press Sec. Kayleigh McEnany: "Mitt Romney can say three words outside on Pennsylvania Avenue but I would note this -- that President Trump won 8% of the black vote." https://t.co/Jr9VWooWSI

  6. #3501
    Ultimate Member Gray Lensman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    11,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Not sure why the far right think removing Confederate statues means we're rewriting history. The history is still there, we're just not going to honor people that wanted to keep slavery thriving.
    The statues were put up in an attempt to rewrite history in the first place. Tearing them down is course correction.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

  7. #3502
    Extraordinary Member Tendrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    The statues were put up in an attempt to rewrite history in the first place. Tearing them down is course correction.
    This is correct. Very few of those statues are actually 'historical'. Most of them are 1960s era BS put up as part of a message directed at those marching for Civil Rights and a defense of Lost Cause nonsense.

  8. #3503
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    The statues were put up in an attempt to rewrite history in the first place. Tearing them down is course correction.
    This is an interesting debate here, because it could be a slippery slope, and I don’t mean that in a hyperbolic way. How many of the founding fathers were slave owners or slavery defenders? And think about how many places and things are named after them!

  9. #3504
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    And Democrats took the Senate in 2006. Obama won 365 electoral votes against the Republican nominee in 2008.

    Political opponents are going to take advantage of bad slogans.
    And I guess my point was that not all slogans are meant to be taken literally. Pro-life doesn’t actually mean pro-life because those people are often anti-women and anti-childcare. They’re just pro-birth.

  10. #3505
    Invincible Jersey Girl Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    24,795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    This is an interesting debate here, because it could be a slippery slope, and I don’t mean that in a hyperbolic way. How many of the founding fathers were slave owners or slavery defenders? And think about how many places and things are named after them!
    The founding fathers created a country, those statues celebrated people who tried to split the country in two.

    The issue regarding who owned slaves and how respond to that is a topic that will be debated and decided at some point in time. But for now the key issue with the Confederate statues is what they represent, and the underlying reason why they were erected in the first place.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

  11. #3506
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    And I guess my point was that not all slogans are meant to be taken literally. Pro-life doesn’t actually mean pro-life because those people are often anti-women and anti-childcare. They’re just pro-birth.
    "Pro-life" isn't a slogan. Slogans must be simple and transparent otherwise people will misunderstand and it will be easier for the opposition to make it a straw man and get people who should be allies to be on their side. If you're explaining in politics you're losing.
    Last edited by Steel Inquisitor; 06-08-2020 at 09:58 PM.

  12. #3507
    Horrific Experiment JCAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Perhaps if a slogan is not meant to be taken literally, there was a major communications error in the adoption of said slogan.
    I've been hearing that a lot today, and I honestly can't believe that's a talking point that's taking off after all the years we've had to listen to people go in television to explain "what he really means" every time the President opens his mouth to vomit gibberish and racism.

  13. #3508
    Horrific Experiment JCAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    And I guess my point was that not all slogans are meant to be taken literally. Pro-life doesn’t actually mean pro-life because those people are often anti-women and anti-childcare. They’re just pro-birth.
    I imagine a lot of people chanting to defund the police mean it completely literally. To continue the pro-life analogy, Conservatives chanting to defund Planned Parenthood know exactly what they're doing and mean exactly what they say.
    Last edited by JCAll; 06-08-2020 at 10:23 PM.

  14. #3509
    Astonishing Member Starter Set's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Inside the Jupiter 2
    Posts
    3,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    The founding fathers created a country, those statues celebrated people who tried to split the country in two
    That's some cute view on history right there lol.

  15. #3510
    Extraordinary Member Malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Freeville, NY
    Posts
    8,606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Not sure why the far right think removing Confederate statues means we're rewriting history. The history is still there, we're just not going to honor people that wanted to keep slavery thriving.
    As Trevor Noah said tonight, "You want to learn about history, read a fucking book!" Or to paraphrase Indiana Jones, "The statues belong in a museum!"
    Watching television is not an activity.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •