Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    It seems like most of the fleeing Californians have made their way into my state, and sadly, most of the ones I've encountered are definitely Republican-leaning.
    Ah, if they moved to your state, that explains why Montana population has increased. Now Montana got a one extra Congressional seat due to the 2020 census. I wonder if the residents within the new congressional district will vote democratic or republican. I hope the Republicans don't resort to gerrymandering for this new Congressional seat.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Awwwww! I feel so bad for the NRA.

Psych! I don't! WOMP WOMP!
    Let's wait for them to go under. Then we dance on the grave.

On that note, here's Sammy Davis Jr. at the age of 7, belting out an immortal song - "I'll be Glad When You're Dead"

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Hey everyone, especially WBE, get a load of this piece of s**t.

Rep. Andrew Clyde of Georgia says there was no insurrection on January 6th, and likens the people entering the Capitol on TV footage to tourists. Says the only insurrection he's ever witnessed was the Russia investigation.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I assure you the Clintonian-Blairite Liberal centrists spend far time whining about "Defund the Police" than the so-called centrist voter they assume it alienates ever does.

We are in Post-January 6...and the slogan "Stop the Steal" on the right or the election was stolen which is in fact cancerous and toxic and vile has a currency and purchase greater than "defund the police" ever did. And yet we are spending time fighting a boogeyman of the right.

Not sufficient evidence of that. The people who were angered by that slogan were Trumpistas and Trump-voters. The seats that the House Dems lost in 2020 were Trump-voting districts they swung back in 2018 but who in 2020 because of Pandemic furloughs turned out in greater propensity than before.

The latter more than the former. Yglesias isn't arguing in bad faith or cynicism. It's the things he's sincere about that's the problem.
    I again don't disagree that those on the right are going to be far more hostile to the message of Defund the Police than your leftist or centrist/uninterested in politics voter. I didn't suggest otherwise, and I think most would assume that to be the case. My point, and perhaps the point Yglesias was trying to make, is that there is a large group of white voters who have the privilege of not really thinking about things like police violence towards minorities or systemic racism in their daily lives and have other concerns. They have (or at least believe that they have) no or little skin in the game and so trying to move them from the "I don't care (or at least not enough to do something/vote about it)" column to "on board and down to fight with you" column is going to take a bit of convincing.

My concern, and again from what I'm reading Yglesias' concern, is that framing it in the way some in the extreme of the anti-racist movement have is going to do nothing but make them feel morally superior in the moment but ultimately alienate potential allies (again, even if they're imperfect allies) and probably make enemies. Do you disagree?

Also, again, agree there are larger concerns in general. Still think, and looking at your posts believe you do as well, that racism/anti-racism is a hugely important topic that needs to be discussed and reforms need to be made. So having the conversation on everything from where we went wrong to what we're doing wrong (including how we're framing the debate, why I included the example of "Defund the Police" and bad messaging) is also important. The old quote (again, probably misquoting and not sure who to attribute to) "the only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" is true. My concern is that framing the debate in a way that is hostile to potential allies is you're going to keep a lot of them in the "do nothing" category where they have been. That is going to contribute ultimately to the fascist scenario you (and I, and most of the people on this board) are scared of. I don't think it's entirely unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I wouldn't be too sure about that. I mean, the only Republican I've even heard whispers about running in 2024 so far, is Trump.
    It's Trump's nomination if he wants it. My guess is in another 3 years he won't. My hope is he will want the attention, adoration, and fundraising that goes with it and make a run at it before ultimately cutting and running having had his fun and his fill to spend his days in Florida or overseas. Leaving the Republicans in the lurch and Democrats with another four years to get us moving in the right direction. Again, I want that to happen so it probably doesn't. But I think it's more likely than him running again and winning.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Also, again, agree there are larger concerns in general. Still think, and looking at your posts believe you do as well, that racism/anti-racism is a hugely important topic that needs to be discussed and reforms need to be made. So having the conversation on everything from where we went wrong to what we're doing wrong (including how we're framing the debate, why I included the example of "Defund the Police" and bad messaging) is also important. The old quote (again, probably misquoting and not sure who to attribute to) "the only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" is true. My concern is that framing the debate in a way that is hostile to potential allies is you're going to keep a lot of them in the "do nothing" category where they have been. That is going to contribute ultimately to the fascist scenario you (and I, and most of the people on this board) are scared of. I don't think it's entirely unrelated.
    A certain amount of reasoned skepticism is valid and welcome. That much I agree with.

The truth is "defund the police" was an activist slogan spontaneously generated by the people. It wasn't something created by Marxist thinkers that AOC and her friends then decided to introduce with cookies at a slumber party or something.

To me complaining about "Defund the Police" is like complaining about the rain, it's not something you control anymore than anyone really controlled the Stonewall Riots which founded the modern LGBTQ movement. And claiming that "Defund the Police" is out of touch with the people ignores the fact that this was a spontaneous demand from protests, very much ground-up directed. That it's politically not convenient for the Democrat party is neither here/there in terms of efficacy and messaging. But again they don't get to dictate/demand how activists work. Does this mean that all activism is good or welcome or can't make mistakes? Of course not.

But the fact is the global left has given up organized revolutionary parties, we all decided that model which led to Bolshevism, Comintern and so on, where you had revolutionary parties policing, controlling activism and activists, and in the case of Stalin, killing activists he disliked/saw as a threat and so on. We all decided spontaneous movements were the way of the future since it alone had legitimacy and authenticity. So again, this is what you all signed up for. The Democrat party, and the Labour party for that matter, can't act like the Bolsheviks when it's convenient to them, and not be Bolshevik when push comes to shove.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    I've heard Ron DeSantis. And Ted Cruz, again. Also Liz Cheney, of course.
    Liz Cheney isn't going to win, now that they've booted her out. "And when they came for me there was no one left to defend me."

The 'democrat' party. *sigh*

Inhofe tells EPA nominee, 'if you don't behave, I'm going to talk to your daddy'

(CNN)Republican Sen. Jim Inhofe told a female Environmental Protection Agency nominee on Wednesday that if she did not "behave," then "I'm going to talk to your daddy."

The awkward exchange was during Radhika Fox's confirmation hearing before the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee to be the assistant administrator for the EPA's Office of Water. Fox currently serves in the role on an acting basis and is the Office of Water's principal deputy assistant administrator.

During the hearing, Inhofe, a Republican senator from Oklahoma, asked Fox about the Trump administration's changes to the Obama-era Waters of the United States rule, or WOTUS, which extended federal authority and protections to streams and wetlands but that others felt was government overreach.

As Fox was answering, Inhofe interrupted her, explaining that he didn't mean to, but needed to use his remaining time to ask questions of the other two Biden administration nominees at the hearing.

"I appreciate your comments particularly in your opening statement, I enjoyed that," Inhofe told Fox. "And so I will look forward to working with you."

"And if you don't behave, I'm going to talk to your daddy," he added, to which Fox then laughed.

The senator's communications director, Leacy Burke, told CNN in a statement that "Sen. Inhofe is always moved by the family stories of nominees, and was especially touched by Ms. Fox's tribute to her father during the opening remarks."

"He made a lighthearted joke at the end of his questioning to recognize her father again since he was present for the hearing. As he said in the hearing, Inhofe looks forward to working with Ms. Fox once she is confirmed," Burke said.

Fox introduced herself to the committee Wednesday as a first-generation American and said her "family is the American dream at work."
    Her parents grew up in rural India, and her grandparents were small farmers "who relied on wells for their drinking water and pit latrines for wastewater management," she testified.

"Everything I have accomplished is because I stand on the shoulders of my parents' hard work," she said, then turning to her father, who was seated behind her at Wednesday's hearing, and thanking him.

Fox was nominated by Biden in January. If confirmed, she would be the first Asian American and the first woman of color to be nominated to lead the EPA's Office of Water, she noted.
    Last edited by Tami; 05-12-2021 at 08:20 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Lin Wood: Trump has secret military backchannel to authorize nuclear strikes

Election attorney Lin Wood claimed this week that former President Donald Trump maintains a secret backchannel to the U.S. military that allows him to order nuclear strikes.
    Wood made the assertion during an event in Myrtle Beach, where he was campaigning to become the next South Carolina Republican Party chair. Video was later obtained by PatriotTakes.

"He won the election," Wood said of Trump. "Donald J. Trump is still the guy the military will call for the code if they need a first strike. Joe Biden is not the president of the United States."
    Uh huh.....someone off his meds?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I wouldn't be too sure about that. I mean, the only Republican I've even heard whispers about running in 2024 so far, is Trump.
    There's some "What Is Most Likely Actual Reality..." that you don't seem to be accounting for.

In one way, Trump is very much like HRC.

He cannot even accept that he was beat by the person who beat him the first time.

Running again, and risking taking a second "L"?

While anything could happen, I can see a very realistic scenario where Trump's pride just ain't gonna let him risk getting beaten by Joe a second time.

The current democrat party is just republican-lite

Quote Originally Posted by Gitagon View Post
    Not this nonsense again.

Even if Desantis, Cruz or Cheney are thinking of running, not one of them will even announce an exploratory committee until Trump either announces his candidacy for the 2024 election, or announces that he is definitely not running. For now, as far as other potential Republican Presidential candidates are concerned, Trump is Schrodinger's Candidate.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitagon View Post
    Every time someone says "Democrat Party" they have swallowed a Republican talking point hook, line, and sinker. If you can't call it the Democratic Party, most people here can't take anything else you might have to say seriously.
    Dark does not mean deep.