Quote Originally Posted by 4theEarth View Post
    Understood but that is only half of the argument when the question becomes when is banning and deplatforming is like government imprisonment and exile in effect.

because the logic being employed in favor of bans is the in effect nature of speech. i.e. you are creating harm to a group

Bans usually go that way because the people in power believes it is just going to be about stopping bad people. Red Scare politics anyone?

As to Mets observation about size it seems that both anarchists and conservatives agree that local and smaller is a better way of arriving at real communities of commonality in the real world.
    If we're harming groups like homophobes, racists, transphobes, people that value guns over human lives, and the like...Yay. Throw some confetti and keep it up.

So you are for empowering corporations with the power of institutions. I don't think I have said that corporations and message boards are different, just the reverse seeing how they are owned by corporations.
    I didn't empower anyone. The Supreme Court did.

And it's called Terms of Service, Jack. Violate the ToS, you get kicked out. Hell, I've been suspended from this very board for a time for something I wrote, and in hindsight, I totally agreed with that suspension.

BANNED
    http://www.fantomas-lives.com/fanto47.htm

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    So if I publish the address of where in Maryland Lynn Rosenman and Merrick Garland live you won't call foul?

Incredible Member

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2022/12/...-people-state/

GOP Texas attorney general’s office allegedly demanded a list of trans people in the state.
    Smells like the pink triangle is soon to be back.

So if I publish the address of where in Maryland Lynn Rosenman and Merrick Garland live you won't call foul?
    As an absolute free speech backer you should be upset that Mr absolute free speech Musk suspended him. Not defending the suspension.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I didn't empower anyone. The Supreme Court did.

And it's called Terms of Service, Jack. Violate the ToS, you get kicked out. Hell, I've been suspended from this very board for a time for something I wrote, and in hindsight, I totally agreed with that suspension.
    I don't understand your point - you want corporations to control you and what you can say? All I have been saying is that Twitter then or now is a chimera like a lot of .coms that seek the benefit of whatever it calls itself in the moment.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    As an absolute free speech backer you should be upset that Mr absolute free speech Musk suspended him. Not defending the suspension.
    Whose suspension - I thought you made your stand btw.

I don't understand your point - you want corporations to control you and what you can say? All I have been saying is that Twitter then or now is a chimera like a lot of .coms that seek the benefit of whatever it calls itself in the moment.
    You use a lot of big words, but let me use some small words.

You are free to say whatever you want. But the places you say those things have the right to say "Hey, that's Bad!". And they have the right to say you can't be a member anymore.

That's how a society works. There are rules and decorum (ooh, big word!). If you don't follow them, you get punished.

Whose suspension - I thought you made your stand btw.
    I can still chime in.

I am talking about the suspension of the guy from Twitter for putting out the location of Musk's private plane.

You responded asking about posting others addresses. So you made it out to be a safety issue.

But it shouldnt matter if it is a safety issue. he should be allowed to post it because of free speech right?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

This gets complicated.

It's sensible for Twitter to have a policy about releasing private information. It seems self-serving to have people realize that when an account meant to follow Elon Musk's private plane (based on information that is readily available, although perhaps the laws didn't take into account real-time tracking) is suspended.

This does raise questions, especially when it comes to public figures. As a hypothetical, if Denzel Washington is having dinner with Kanye West, is that private information? Does it matter if the dinner is to discuss a new project, or because he wants to talk sense into someone who is having a mental health episode?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Understood but that is only half of the argument when the question becomes when is banning and deplatforming is like government imprisonment and exile in effect.

because the logic being employed in favor of bans is the in effect nature of speech. i.e. you are creating harm to a group

Bans usually go that way because the people in power believes it is just going to be about stopping bad people. Red Scare politics anyone?

As to Mets observation about size it seems that both anarchists and conservatives agree that local and smaller is a better way of arriving at real communities of commonality in the real world.
    Being kicked off twitter, facebook or even here is nothing like government exile or imprisonment.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    This gets complicated.

It's sensible for Twitter to have a policy about releasing private information. It seems self-serving to have people realize that when an account meant to follow Elon Musk's private plane (based on information that is readily available, although perhaps the laws didn't take into account real-time tracking) is suspended.

This does raise questions, especially when it comes to public figures. As a hypothetical, if Denzel Washington is having dinner with Kanye West, is that private information? Does it matter if the dinner is to discuss a new project, or because he wants to talk sense into someone who is having a mental health episode?
    If the dinner takes place in Denzel's home, it's private. If it takes place in a public restaurant, it's not.

If the dinner takes place in Denzel's home and someone else was there, then that 3rd person may have a right to tell someone else about it.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

It is my experience that people are called those things rather than label themselves as such.
    Of course - no one ever calls themselves a racist or a bigot, but if they're saying and doing hateful bigoted shit? If the label fits I don't care what they call themselves, I know hate and intolerance when I see it, and people embracing that side of themselves and celebrated it and reveling in it is not for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by mogwen View Post
    https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2022/12/...-people-state/

GOP Texas attorney general’s office allegedly demanded a list of trans people in the state.
    Smells like the pink triangle is soon to be back.
    I've never heard of the pink triangle, but this sounds like some Nazis demanding a list of Jews kinda crap, so fuck this attorney general.