Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Manchin also helped kill the nomination of Neera Tanden for OMB, mainly as payback because she carped about his daughter, CEO of a pharma company.
    People are entitled to their own opinions.

That being said, you have to be careful about what you say on social media. It does bite you back sometimes.

I can't think of a better way of putting this that doesn't come across as defending Manchin or gaslighting Tanden.

I'm sure she'll find another post in the Biden Admin.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Spent part of the afternoon watching Nicola Sturgeon (Scotland’s First Minister) being questioned on the “Alex Salmon affair”. (Alex Salmon was her predecessor who was investigated for possible sexual harrassment. He was found not guilty...a committee is now investigating some of the procedures used in the case...some of the procedures may have been biased against Mr Salmon.)

Whatever the pros and cons of the case, some of the committee procedures were really, really disappointing. It was immediately obvious which party each committee member belonged to from their line of questioning.

Members of Nicola’s own party were effectively asking questions along the lines of “Does the First Minister agree that she is a wonderful woman, and Alex Salmon is awful?”

Now in general terms that might be true. But..I think the public have a right to expect the committee members to actually do their job..and ask questions designed to test the truth of specifically what happened. And they should do that irrespective of party allegiance.

It’s politics, we all know that...but jeez what a disappointment politicians often are.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Spent part of the afternoon watching Nicola Sturgeon (Scotland’s First Minister) being questioned on the “Alex Salmon affair”. (Alex Salmon was her predecessor who was investigated for possible sexual harrassment. He was found not guilty...a committee is now investigating some of the procedures used in the case...some of the procedures may have been biased against Mr Salmon.)

Whatever the pros and cons of the case, some of the committee procedures were really, really disappointing. It was immediately obvious which party each committee member belonged to from their line of questioning.

Members of Nicola’s own party were effectively asking questions along the lines of “Does the First Minister agree that she is a wonderful woman, and Alex Salmon is awful?”

Now in general terms that might be true. But..I think the public have a right to expect the committee members to actually do their job..and ask questions designed to test the truth of specifically what happened. And they should do that irrespective of party allegiance.

It’s politics, we all know that...but jeez what a disappointment politicians often are.
    Not always, but yeah it happens often enough. I've seen Republicans ask questions like that here in the US.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Not always, but yeah it happens often enough. I've seen Republicans ask questions like that here in the US.
    It was a tough watch in many ways.

By standards of present day UK politics Nicola is an effective politician and very popular in Scotland....I think she will survive because she’s got a lot of “credit in the bank”, but it was really difficult to believe she wasn’t lying at times (or “guilty of terminological inexactitudes” in Parliamentary language) when she was fielding some of the more difficult questions from people from parties other than her own.

Astonishing Member

So tomorrow is supposed to be the day the US military installs lord trump as our savior, according to qanon. But now I see some qanon claiming that date was made up by the media and the actual timeline is on April. I wonder how often they'll keep on moving the timetable and how long it'll take qanon followers to see the BS.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    So tomorrow is supposed to be the day the US military installs lord trump as our savior, according to qanon. But now I see some qanon claiming that date was made up by the media and the actual timeline is on April. I wonder how often they'll keep on moving the timetable and how long it'll take qanon followers to see the BS.
    They never will, sadly.

I'm tempted to say it will stop on April 1st when they yell "April Fool's" but considering what they are capable of believing, they'll just say that was a joke but the next date isn't.
    Power with Girl is better.

I thought Nicola Sturgeon was reasonably impressive. The procedure against Alec Salmond was clearly horribly mishandled, but how much of that was Nicola Sturgeon’s fault is still to me unclear. They got it badly wrong, but so far the conspiracy theory is... well.. unproven.

Of course, there may be some evidence that comes out that puts things in a worse light.

Moving away from the substance, I think she’ll be politically OK for a few reasons:

1. Her calm and articulate response under the pressure of an eight hours session reflects her gifts as a communicator, shown time and again over the last year or so.

2. There will have been significant distraction from today’s Budget... not to mention that the UK government is (allegedly) breaching international law again, which could lead to a disastrous breakdown in relations with the EU.

3. The Conservative ability to “weaponise” an alleged breach of the Ministerial Code by Nicola Sturgeon is compromised by the fact that an inquiry found that Priti Patel, the Home Secretary, actually broke the Ministerial Code because she was found to have bullied Civil Servants. This is not to mention Robert Jenrick’s impressive ability to remain in position despite defying civil servant advice in order to give a Tory party donor a million pound tax break, and the ongoing rumblings about PPE and other contracts being given to Tory cronies. I’m not suggesting the contemptible failures of the Westminster government excuse the Scottish executive for activities which were procedurally unfair, but I’m sceptical about this scandal “cutting through” to the Scottish electorate in those circumstances.

I’ve got no particular drum to beat for the SNP, but it’s difficult to otherwise think of a more favourable political climate for them, with Brexit, and a Prime Minister who seems to have been genetically designed to be despised in Scotland.
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 03-03-2021 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    It was a tough watch in many ways.

By standards of present day UK politics Nicola is an effective politician and very popular in Scotland....I think she will survive because she’s got a lot of “credit in the bank”, but it was really difficult to believe she wasn’t lying at times (or “guilty of terminological inexactitudes” in Parliamentary language) when she was fielding some of the more difficult questions from people from parties other than her own.
    Agreed on all points. I'm a fan of Nicola Sturgeon, but she didn't come across as completely innocent in today's testimony. I hope she can weather this storm, as I genuinely think she's a better leader for Scotland than some of the alternatives and alternative parties.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    People are entitled to their own opinions.

That being said, you have to be careful about what you say on social media. It does bite you back sometimes.

I can't think of a better way of putting this that doesn't come across as defending Manchin or gaslighting Tanden.

I'm sure she'll find another post in the Biden Admin.
    Too bad Manchin didn't apply his high standards when he voted for Rick Grenell and Matt Kavanaugh. He's going to be a big problem with his half ass moral code.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Then I suppose those nutbags will move the goalposts back even further. All bark and no bite.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

QAnon:

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Well, here you go WBE. The dumbest thing I've heard today and another one for the list.

Why is a song called “Wet A** P***y” not considered inappropriate but Dr. Seuss is?

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Then I suppose those nutbags will move the goalposts back even further. All bark and no bite.

To be fair it's not just the right wing who are being played and falling for propaganda. Both sides seem to be right out to lunch, which is exactly what.active measures was designed to do. Sigh....

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    To be fair it's not just the right wing who are being played and falling for propaganda. Both sides seem to be right out to lunch, which is exactly what.active measures was designed to do. Sigh....
    BoTh SiDEs. Honestly, this just isn't true. While there are absolutely people out there on the left who believe silly things, you can not even slightly compare them.