Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Lies have to be addressed, and when someone in an official capacity, and I'm including journalists here, lies, he should face consequences. But liars can't be preemptively sanctioned.

Well I agree that liars and people who spread misinformation should face consequences. But why can't proven liars be preemptively sanctioned ?
    How many lies has Donald Trump told since 2015 ? , what have been the consequences ? None ! He's a pathological liar �� why would you give him a chance back on Twitter ? Unless you actually support him ? Well you have a right to support him if you want . I personally do not !!!

DeSantis mandates lessons on communism for high school students

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) signed a bill into law Monday establishing a new state holiday known as “Victims of Communism Day” on which public schools are required to teach students about communist regimes.

The law states that starting next year “Victims of Communism Day” will be observed by public schools on Nov. 7. On that day, high-schoolers will receive lessons in their U.S. government classes about the “atrocities” that have been imposed by communist governments.

DeSantis said during a news conference that the day is meant to “to honor the more than 100 million people who have fallen victim to communist regimes across the world.”
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

I'll laugh if enough teachers manage to use that day to teach about the victims of red baiting instead. Or failing that, anger the Putin lovers by teaching about the Holodomor.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    On Chapelle, I know how people like Kavanaugh use 'jokes', and I know how Trump uses them. When someone is trying to be hurtful to a minority when they have complained about precisely that, and as an instinctual response to a situation that's going to result in a big news story use a joke that they know people are going to take seriously, the Anti-Trans bigotry is clear and it's obvious it's not just a joke.

You might not have realized it, but actually your deconstruction of the numbers proves you understand how badly TheWeek mangled everything in trying to make it look like I'm wrong. My complaint was always that they included those amab in order to get to a number they could get close enough to bump up to 5% aka 1 in 20 who they portrayed as 100% afab. Thus all of your previous prevarications, protestations of ignorance and 'coincidental' misunderstandings are proved to be Gaslighting by your own words.

Thanks for letting us know, but you're still pretending. Just Stop It Mets.
    If you think Dave Chapelle (a comedian responding to a public assault) knew that people would take his comment seriously, I respectfully disagree.
    If you think it is so obvious that Dave Chapelle knew that people would take his comment seriously that it worth insulting anyone who would suggest otherwise, I strongly disagree.

The writer in the Week story didn't include people who were amab when he was was talking about people brought up as girls. You had the wrong understanding, and used that as a pretext to insult many times. And you're still at it.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    If you think Dave Chapelle (a comedian responding to a public assault) knew that people would take his comment seriously, I respectfully disagree.
    If you think it is so obvious that Dave Chapelle knew that people would take his comment seriously that it worth insulting anyone who would suggest otherwise, I strongly disagree.

The writer in the Week story didn't include people who were amab when he was was talking about people brought up as girls. You had the wrong understanding, and used that as a pretext to insult many times. And you're still at it.
    You can disagree all you want, but when you defend trans bigotry so often it brings up the question Why.

When the Survey says that only 4.2% identified as Trans/Nonbinary/More including those amab and the Reporter rounds up the number and says it's all afab, I trust the Survey. You have devolved to the point of denying that they could be lying because what they said defies the facts so we must accept the Reporter and not the facts as shown in the survey quoted.

Just stop pretending Mets.

One more relevant figure to the statistics that isn't being talked about is the number of cis women and cis men. 60% of college enrollments are women. Naturally, that will include a higher percentage of AFAB proportionally.

None of that supports an argument of any 'spike'.

Meanwhile, the Missouri state house is trying to move to deny 'gender affirming' care to trans people until they're 25 now. The cruelty is the point.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 05-10-2022 at 07:46 PM.

Biden being "Pro..." Union...

https://scheerpost.com/2022/05/07/am...-union-pledge/

Amazon Gets Huge Contract Despite Biden’s Union Pledge
    The Biden administration has re-awarded a massive $10 billion federal contract to Amazon, even as the president is facing mounting pressure to fulfill his promise to halt such contracts to companies that refuse to remain neutral in union elections. The contract decision came as Amazon responded to its workers’ first successful union drive by busting the organizing drive that followed.

At issue is Biden’s 2020 promise to “ensure federal contracts only go to employers who sign neutrality agreements committing not to run anti-union campaigns.”

https://teamster.org/2022/05/obrien-...ent-contracts/

O’Brien: Amazon Must Be Barred from Federal Government Contracts
    Teamsters General President Sean M. O’Brien called out Amazon during a Senate hearing today for its anti-worker, anti-union practices and demanded the federal government stop awarding the global behemoth lucrative government contracts.

Testifying before the Senate Budget Committee, O’Brien told lawmakers that lawbreaking companies like Amazon should not be allowed to profit at taxpayer expense while violating the rights of workers to collectively bargain. Noting President Biden made a campaign promise to only award contracts to employers who signed neutrality agreements committing to not run anti-union campaigns, O’Brien said it is time to drop the hammer on Amazon.

“To put it plainly, it is wrong for our government to be giving taxpayer dollars in the form of federal contracts to companies like Amazon,” O’Brien said. “You are rewarding employers who repeatedly, knowingly and purposefully violate federal labor laws, drive down wages and standards in core Teamster industries and create dangerous working environments.”

O’Brien noted the company was found guilty last year of illegally firing two workers after they advocated on behalf of their coworkers at an Amazon warehouse in Seattle. Additionally, Amazon broke labor law in Alabama when workers there tried to organize, forcing their election to be rerun this year. In December, the National Labor Relations Board cited Amazon for illegally threatening, surveilling and interrogating workers who were trying to start a union at its Staten Island facility. According to filings with the U.S. Department of Labor, Amazon spent $4.3 million on consultants last year alone to prevent its workers from organizing.

“These kinds of actions make something very clear — when workers try to organize, Amazon breaks the law. When workers raise their voices, Amazon does whatever it takes to shut them up because Amazon is terrified of the power workers have when they act collectively,” O’Brien said.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptonMan View Post
    Well I agree that liars and people who spread misinformation should face consequences. But why can't proven liars be preemptively sanctioned ?
    How many lies has Donald Trump told since 2015 ? , what have been the consequences ? None ! He's a pathological liar �� why would you give him a chance back on Twitter ? Unless you actually support him ? Well you have a right to support him if you want . I personally do not !!!
    Because it's not a punishment for the lies he's told. He's not faced any court on those charges. And the preemptive nature of the measure isn't according to the spirit of the law.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I'll laugh if enough teachers manage to use that day to teach about the victims of red baiting instead. Or failing that, anger the Putin lovers by teaching about the Holodomor.
    II take it you still maintain the misinformed opinion that Putin is a communist?

II take it you still maintain the misinformed opinion that Putin is a communist?
    Politely?

You are talking about an "Apple..."

He was talking about an "Orange..."

No real point in throwing that "Apple..." nonsense into what is obviously an "Orange..." conversation.

BANNED

Sud Radio is a French privately-owned radio station, founded in 1958. So not a random YouTube guy. The interview is with a "reporter" who was actually on the ground, not just behind the Ukrainian army, reporting what they're allowed/told. At 17:36, en starts pouring it. Some "quotes", my French isn't that good:

"all the war crimes I saw were committed by the Ukrainian army"

"there's an abyss between what I saw and what I hear [in France]"

"Azov is everywhere"

He then goes on to specifics, relating how they torture Russian soldiers (I guess this would be the famous video, or something similar), how they fire from a position to receive return fire, then the Americans report only the return fire, how they place western ammunition in private inhabited houses, so when the Russians destroy it, it kills civilians.

Being with the Ukrainian army, it would be difficult for him to see whatever war crimes Russia might be committing, but he saw nothing from that side which would implicate them.

Awaiting the videos he mentions.

Is it important what Putin is? It is important what he does. And what he did is invading a country and bombing civilians…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Is it important what Putin is? It is important what he does. And what he did is invading a country and bombing civilians…
    Bombing civilians? I don't know about that, I'm not there. As someone who has, watch the interview above.

Oh for gods sake.