Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    If you are suggesting that the timing of the FBI raid was ill-timed, you might be correct. Maybe the FBI should have done it after the midterms. You all saw and heard many of the Republicans' outrage over the FBI raid already.
    GOP Spin of the raid last night - Should not have been done before the election. They are weaponizing the DOJ and going after Biden's Rival

GOP Spin had they waited till after the mid terms - This is a revenge move by the Dems and Biden for losing the House. The GOP is stronger then ever and Biden is trying to keep Trump from running again! They are weaponizing the DOJ!

There is no good time from a PR standpoint to raid the house of the former president. Now or a couple months from now it does not matter. The optics are always going to look bad. I agree with everyone they damn well better find something from all of this. Which I think they will. They wouldnt do this and have the bad optics unless they knew what they were looking for and where it was at.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I just can't grasp how his supporters think he's innocent.

- Trump's Last Lawyer was disbarred doing his dirty work
    - The Lawyer before that was arrested and convicted for doing his dirty work
    - The Kraken Lady Lawyer was fired because her lies were too detailed
    - Trump himself was on audio literally asking for 11k votes (Who the hell does that?)

I seriously don't understand. They have eyes, ears, and a brain to process this information. I used to receive more convincing emails from a 'Nigerian Prince'

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    This is true, it was true before and truer now. It has always been such. The fact is if young people, who lean more liberal, showed up in the same percentages as older voters, the Dems would be swept into office. Getting young people to vote is a big. One hopes the draconian, christo-fascist abortion laws get them off their asses.
    100% agreed.

If you are suggesting that the timing of the FBI raid was ill-timed, you might be correct. Maybe the FBI should have done it after the midterms. You all saw and heard many of the Republicans' outrage over the FBI raid already.
    Yes, and I also didn't like how quickly Trump had his dramatic statement released. "They even broke into my safe!"

It's a gamble that could pay off. If it's a slam dunk and he's heavily charged, donors of his endorsed candidates will be forced to distance themselves.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

My guess is nothing would stop Trump supporters from standing with their Fuhrer. But I do not think the FBI raiding his home will bring anyone else to his side.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

More bad news for the orange criminal stain...the D.C. Court of Appeals rules that Congress’s House Ways & Means Committee can gain access to Trump's tax returns.

The ones he's been lying about and so desperately trying to hide.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post

- Trump himself was on audio literally asking for 11k votes (Who the hell does that?)

I seriously don't understand. They have eyes, ears, and a brain to process this information. I used to receive more convincing emails from a 'Nigerian Prince'
    They have eyes, but refuse to believe what they see.

They have ears, but refuse to accept what they hear.

They have brains but refuse to process the facts presented them.

Trump supporters are full blown cultists who are all in with him because he gave them free rein to hate, a heady drug they’re hopelessly addicted to. They’re collectively lost causes and will literally ride or die with him, just like the lemmings who followed Jim Jones to the grave. Nothing more complicated than that.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post

They think the deep state is holding him to a different standard than previous Presidents, so this can fit their priors.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    So calling for civil war is what, virtue signaling? Disvirtue? Unvirtue? Anti-virtue?
    I don't think Rubio was going that far.

For professional Republicans making the claim about a potential civil war, it's more about showing that you're more on Trump's side than anyone else. Some of these people may have drunk the cool-aid. And some are just grifters.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Wasnt the raid explained as getting back all the highly classified documents that Trump refused to give back? What more explanation do you need?

Since when does the DOJ need to explain the details of a warrant or ongoing investigation to you, me or anyone while that investigation is still going on? Just to appease some Trumper Nut Jobs and Andrew yang? Give me a break.

And Biden has nothing to explain. This was an action by the FBI and DOJ not Biden.
    I think sources say it's about classified documents, but that hasn't been officially announced yet.

Granted, Trump could release the warrant at any time to provide clarity for his supporters.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 08-09-2022 at 11:17 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

And now for comments that aren't Maralagogate.

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    A crazy protestor or a cop firing a shot doesn't trigger a civil war... those are actually things that unfortunately already happen quite often
    That's a good point.

A civil war won't start with one idiot. It would have to be the sense that the idiot was able to get away with it.

It's not a protestor taking the first shot, as much as it would be local prosecutors making it clear they're on the shooter's side.

The big GOP talking point is arming teachers. And they cant shut up about how bad the teachers want this.

Even though tons of teachers and teachers unions are speaking out against it.

In Ohio we had the law maker that wanted to make it required for a teacher to have a Permit to carry a gun and receive gun training or their teaching license would be revoked. The teachers unions of course spoke out against this but he would not stop talking about it and how bad teachers wanted it. Even though the teachers promised mass walk outs and resigns if he kept going.

Lucky it never went any where.

its been pointed out by several members of this board. They dont trust teachers to teach history and not groom our children. But they want them armed to the teeth.
    There are some ideologically consistent responses.

Those right-wingers want teachers following strict guidelines, so guns can be part of that. It's also a conservative culture signifier, which rural white people are okay with. And this kind of attitude can discourage liberal teachers from applying, which they would see as a plus, even if there is a decline.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Wal-Mart sells insulin for $25 without a prescription. If Walmart can do this without government intervention, why can't other? They're analogs are more expensive but still cheaper than other pharmacies.
    One specific problem with Insulin is that there are some warped incentives.

It's hard to make a profit with standard competition, especially if some producers are able to sell at a loss for extended periods of time.
    When most producers are driven out of the marketplace, the remaining producer can jack up prices for something that is essential.

Walmart selling insulin at $25 is a good thing, by preventing scumbags from trying to artificially increase prices. But this would be subject to change.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    "Defund Public Schools" is part of the aim (funding religious schools, breaking public sector unions, keeping poor and minority children undereducated so as not to compete with Biff and Buffy, and other reasons help the whole "school choice" movement). Making it a tax credit means those poor voters who can't afford the rest of tuition would be stuck in the (now even more) underfunded public options while more cash flows into the private/religious schools and widens the gap.

It is refreshing to see people finally (maybe) voting not against their own interests. Maybe it helps when they're considering outside of themselves for their kids.

Hyped: Several things. First, linking things generally only has value when it's an unknown issue or there's a dispute on the facts. Then there's the common internet debating tactic (not as bad as your strawman or whataboutism, but lesser cousin) of casting doubt on the reputation or bias of the opposing side's source. In this case, an international human rights organization. Why? They want to talk to Palestinians about what's being done to Palestinians. What monsters!

Next, obviously when I'm talking about ongoing land theft and ongoing international condemnation of it, and I notice you still haven't addressed this even to acknowledge its existence which is again widely known and a common news topic when tensions flare (as they have lately), I'm not talking about a war that happened over 50 years ago. That you would suggest such a thing makes me question if you're arguing in good faith.

If the article linked wasn't sufficient, google it yourself. It sounds like you're going to get to learn all kinds of things about Israel and their relations with their neighbors. That should be fun. But I can't continue to try to hold your hand here, this isn't a heavy lift. This is known, again fairly widely. And not seriously disputed, outside of the extreme right-wing of Israel and here in the US.

I'm not going to bring you there or draw you a map. Take a moment, I guarantee it won't be long, and do some research. If you legitimately are not aware. Throwing up smoke screens such as "those who speak against Israel (where they're not antisemites) don't have knowledge or arguments" might be effective if your only aim is to not engage in the debate or keep firmly in your bubble, but again doesn't represent the reality of international condemnation (again, including many Israelis and Jews around the world).
    On education, the school choice people legitimately think they're doing the right thing. They'll often think that decisions made by Teachers Unions prioritize subpar public sector employees and political trends over education quality.

The essential argument about charter schools is that parents who can't afford private school should have less choices.

The policy incentives are different in rural areas given the lack of alternatives. It shouldn't affect rural schools, as it doesn't alter their attendance. However, different messaging is going to work in that setting. They'll be more likely to be persuaded by arguments about community control of public schools.

I can appreciate the frustration if someone's asking for commonly available information, but I have noticed here people talking past one another because they have different frames of reference, so sometimes clarity is essential.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...d-children-us/
    The link is for the year 2020.

Forgive me if I misinterpreted the information. I was sort of researching it on my phone while on the go earlier today.
    According to the numbers, roughly 3 white children were adopted for every Hispanic or Black child.
    Show me the information you have for distribution by age and ethnicity. I'm interested in seeing it.
    Sure.

https://ifstudies.org/blog/the-chang...-united-states
    Some interesting details.
    • A majority of white adoptive parents have non-white children.
    • There has been a recent decline in the percentage of African-American children available for adoption.
    • A large majority (77%) of adoptive parents are white.
    • One reason for a decline in the percentage of African-American children available for adoption is activist opposition to transracial adoption.
    • Another reason for a decline in the percentage of African-American children available for adoption is that there's a strong preference to place them with relatives, which is often subsidized and done as a way to avoid welfare limits.

A statistic I saw was that about 58 percent of white children awaiting adoption received a home, whereas only 46 percent of black children did, so that's a difference of 12 percent, rather than threefold.

https://marripedia.org/barriers_to_b...en_in_adoption
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

GOP Spin of the raid last night - Should not have been done before the election. They are weaponizing the DOJ and going after Biden's Rival

GOP Spin had they waited till after the mid terms - This is a revenge move by the Dems and Biden for losing the House. The GOP is stronger then ever and Biden is trying to keep Trump from running again! They are weaponizing the DOJ!

There is no good time from a PR standpoint to raid the house of the former president. Now or a couple months from now it does not matter. The optics are always going to look bad. I agree with everyone they damn well better find something from all of this. Which I think they will. They wouldnt do this and have the bad optics unless they knew what they were looking for and where it was at.
    Whether they find anything may be beside the point. The facts are that Trump knowingly broke a federal law by removing the documents. He ignored repeated requests for their return. He knew he was breaking the law because he has lawyers and advisers who would’ve told him so. The crime was already committed and anyone else might be in custody right now.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Whether they find anything may be beside the point. The facts are that Trump knowingly broke a federal law by removing the documents. He ignored repeated requests for their return. He knew he was breaking the law because he has lawyers and advisers who would’ve told him so. The crime was already committed and anyone else might be in custody right now.
    From an optics stand point it is not beside the point. At least to a lot of people. Not just on the right there are people on the left (Not many but a few) speaking out about this. If it is just a "We wanted these classified documents back." The it will come off as 100 percent political against a sitting presidents rival. Take away the Hilary thing I am sure other presidents have taken a few documents as well.

You are right anyone else would be in jail. There is a whole list of people that went to jail for taking classified documents. But none of them have been a former president.

So if they dont find something or charge him and just let it slide with a raid the it will be the DOJ raided a former presidents home something that has never been done before for some classified info they have known he had for a long time. And doing it a few months before the mid terms.

So yes the spin will be it was 100 percent political and if nothing comes of this it will be hard to defend it wasnt and it wont matter that Trump was breaking the law.
    Last edited by babyblob; 08-09-2022 at 11:23 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Andrew Yang's tweets denounce the FBI raid on Maralago property.

Andrew Yang says:
    "I’m no Trump fan. I want him as far away from the White House as possible. But a fundamental part of his appeal has been that it’s him against a corrupt government establishment. This raid strengthens that case for millions of Americans who will see this as unjust persecution."

https://twitter.com/AndrewYang/statu...C-rbThw5srAAAA

He also says: "It seems like this was authorized by a local judge and a particular FBI office without buy-in or notification of higher levels of government. But literally no one will believe that or make a distinction. It’s probably bureaucratic but it seems political."

https://twitter.com/AndrewYang/statu...Cz-caGxJsrAAAA

So Andrew Yang believes the FBI raid on Mar-a-Lago appears political. He's got a valid point. It IS political.
    It was not a local judge. It was, of course, a federal judge. How much meth must Yang be smoking to get that major part of this so wrong?

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Oh and the federal judge who signed the warrant was Bruce E. Reinhart, a Trump judge, appointed in 2018.

Yang is a joke. As is Ryan Knight. They are both jokes and grifters. I blocked and muted both of them on twitter, I salted the earth and burned some thyme. Then I come here and people pollute my mind with copied and pasted **** tweets.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Oh and the federal judge who signed the warrant was Bruce E. Reinhart, a Trump judge, appointed in 2018.

Yang is a joke. As is Ryan Knight. They are both jokes and grifters. I blocked and muted both of them on twitter, I salted the earth and burned some thyme. Then I come here and people pollute my mind with copied and pasted **** tweets.
    A Trump appointed federal Judge and the Trump appointed head of the FBI are all part of the liberal deep state.

A Trump appointed federal Judge and the Trump appointed head of the FBI are all part of the liberal deep state.
    It's really quite obvious when you put it like that.

This is the worst day of Biden's presidency so far.