Ultimate Member

The possibility of Wagner using nukes on their own country isn't the only thing folks are worried about.

It's the possibility of Wagner distributing nuclear material to other unstable warring countries around the world. Not to mention that a number of dictators won't mind getting their hands on them. Wagner group is already working with a number of warlords, so it's definitely something the world is going to be mindful of.

The world saw what happened when Libya fell and the country's armory was used to enhance terrorist groups in North Africa.

The one thing that has been clear from this war is that once this madness ends, russia can't be allowed to have any nukes left. The problem is how to get there. The best and most optimistic option might be to wait until they waste all their resources to the point when people are starving and then exchange some humanitarian help for denuclearisation, but who knows how realistic that is.

If they have no nukes, who cares, let them all kill each other, the fewer russians there are left, the better the rest of us will sleep.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    The one thing that has been clear from this war is that once this madness ends, russia can't be allowed to have any nukes left. The problem is how to get there. The best and most optimistic option might be to wait until they waste all their resources to the point when people are starving and then exchange some humanitarian help for denuclearisation, but who knows how realistic that is.

If they have no nukes, who cares, let them all kill each other, the fewer russians there are left, the better the rest of us will sleep.
    That won't happen in Russia, Russian's starved by the millions under Stalin, and they would never give up anything like you suggest for help.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

While less unstable & violent world powers with nuclear arms is best, I don't see any reason why the Russian Govt, Military, or People would agree to giving up the nukes. From their point of view, how else are they going to defend themselves against all the enemies they've made in the world we live in? How will they still have a voice in global politics if they are stripped of nuclear deterrents? Nothing would stop the rest of the world from dropping them from the UN and/or invading them outright. That is the true terror of a bully: that all the rest who were holding back were only doing so because of the bullies own strength and now they will be the one bullied.

I'm not advocating rolling in and taking the nukes, I just don't see any way they'll give them up voluntarily.

The people in charge of Russia, and the people who want to be in charge in this conflict, are scumbags. Depending on how it goes, it might be a good idea to see if they're willing to sell the nukes in exchange for guarantees that they won't be prosecuted, and that they get to keep the money.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Cnn is reporting that there is a Wanger Column about half way to Moscow. At least that is what several guests have said.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

This is not a good day for Cornell West's presidential campaign.

I'm late to the disussion about drag in fiction, but just wanted to point out that some people who like to complain about it always pick out when men wear "traditionally feminine" clothes, but completely ignore that women wearing "traditionally male" clothing should also count as drag. Characters like Marian from Robin Hood stories have appeared in drag since at least 17th century. Twelfth Night, one of Shakespeare's better comedies is built around a female character disguising as a man and getting into a love triangle with both man and woman as a result. I haven't seen any moral outrage over that.
    Because in patriarchal society, feminine traits are seen as weaker and less than masculine. Therefore, women weaing traditionally masculine clothes or having more masculine attributes is considered empowering and the opposite is, when using the same logic, seen as the opposite. Which obviously hurts both genders (as any gender stereotypes usually do).

Anyways, who decides what are traditionally masculine and feminine clothes? Is it strictly skirts for women and trousers for men? In that case, priests or some Scottish men, for example, are also dressing in drag. (I have actually seen several people jokingly suggest, when some some of the "moral guardians" suggested banning drag, that they should start with the Catholic church then.)
    Slava Ukraini!

It's a serious business, but the memes are still going strong.

"I need ammunition, not a ride!" - Zelensky, 2022
    "I need a ride, not ammunition!" - Putler, 2023
    Slava Ukraini!

Ultimate Member

I know how some might be nervous about a nuclear country in civil war, but I think it's the best outcome possible here.

No way is Putin going to unleash nukes on his own country, and if he does, no way will anyone listen to him. This could possibly dislodge him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I know how some might be nervous about a nuclear country in civil war, but I think it's the best outcome possible here.

No way is Putin going to unleash nukes on his own country, and if he does, no way will anyone listen to him. This could possibly dislodge him.
    People have said "no way" a lot in recent history, and it often has aged poorly in a short time...

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

What is the possibility that someone paid the Wagner group to turn on Putin? I know it sounds crazy, but they are mercenaries.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    People have said "no way" a lot in recent history, and it often has aged poorly in a short time...
    True, but nukes have only ever been used twice in war

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    What is the possibility that someone paid the Wagner group to turn on Putin? I know it sounds crazy, but they are mercenaries.
    I doubt it. Prigozhin is a billionaire, he doesn't need the money.

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

You mean the fewer Russians supporting Putin, right?
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)