Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    I'm sorry but: You started the "if this was my kid" fanfic . I just added the facts of the case.
    Where did I start that?

Me, specifically, please.

Extraordinary Member

And how would you feel if your daughter was defending herself from intruders and got shot dead by a cop she herself had called?
    I don’t know how you can say she was defending herself when the person she was charging with a knife wasn’t near her, initially had her back turned to her and was going up to the cop to talk with him before she got rushed with a knife. If she stabbed that girl based on the body cam footage she’s getting charged with 2nd degree murder or attempted murder depending on the outcome

And how would you feel if your daughter was defending herself from intruders and got shot dead by a cop she herself had called?
    I wouldnt stand around and let my daughter be attacked, or attack others with a knife. if you are a parent or guardian/family member and you stand around and do nothing while your daughter feels she has to go after a person with a knife while they stood around to defend herself I question that.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

The idea of this having been called a "good shooting" is abhorrent to me in more ways than I can describe. What's more, was there a reason Ma'Khia Bryant was shot FOUR times? We're not talking about a football lineman sized lunatic on a drug fueled killing spree, rather a 16 year old girl, there was no sane reason to have emptied half a damn clip into a kid. I don't know crap about police procedures when it comes to the use of lethal force, but that was excessive as hell, no way around that in my book.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The idea of this having been called a "good shooting" is abhorrent to me in more ways than I can describe. What's more, was there a reason Ma'Khia Bryant was shot FOUR times? We're not talking about a football lineman sized lunatic on a drug fueled killing spree, rather a 16 year old girl, there was no sane reason to have emptied half a damn clip into a kid. I don't know crap about police procedures when it comes to the use of lethal force, but that was excessive as hell, no way around that in my book.
    When your main equipment is a gun everything starts looking like target practice.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Four bullets isn't half a clip in most guns, and I imagine that officers in that area are trained in short bursts. In the heat of the moment, sadly, it is restrained.

Good shooting is a poor word, agreed. Justified is better, but whatever word is used, it's still a tragedy.

Astonishing Member

That's not how it went down though is it? From what I understand, 911 received a call from someone that was being attacked with a knife. When the cop arrived, he saw one girl thrown on the floor, some dude kicking her, and another girl, the one that was shot, preparing to attack her with a knife.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    That's not how it went down though is it? From what I understand, 911 received a call from someone that was being attacked with a knife. When the cop arrived, he saw one girl thrown on the floor, some dude kicking her, and another girl, the one that was shot, preparing to attack her with a knife.
    From every thing the news said the 911 calls (there were 2 IIRC) were very chaotic, very jumbled, lots of noise in the back round and little information other then person with a knife attacking. The officer responding had little information other then person with a knife attacking someone. He arrived and saw a girl with a knife about to attack someone. I can see how this went down as it did.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

there's an alternate angle video floating around from a neighbor's house cam, i think the cop was farther away from the suspect than the bodycam appeared to show. Sometimes those cameras have a fish eye lens effect

It was on this date back in 2015 that “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” had a profile of Stephen “Stephanie” Meade, who ran on the ballot for Congress to represent California’s 51st District in the U.S. House of Representatives as “the first transgendered candidate to run for Congress”. We don’t think doing so would make anybody crazy or stupid, except for the fact that Meade was not actually transgender, but a transvestite who started wearing women’s clothes when he was in his eighties (and running as a part of a party that demonize the transgender community). His actual policy stances included eliminating funding to Planned Parenthood, a hawkish stance on foreign policy, and reducing the corporate tax rate. Oh, but rather than raising the minimum wage, Meade wanted it reduced to a mere $5 an hour. He also wanted to break up television and cable service providers, and finally get the United States to institute the metric system. Since he seems very unlikely to ever win office now that he’s ninety and the California GOP actively tries to throw him out of their meetings.

In 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” presented its original profile of the U.S. House Representative from Indiana’s 2nd Congressional District, Jackie Walorski, who during her time in the Indiana House of Representatives from 2004-2012, gained some notoriety for being a co-sponsor of a widely contested Voter ID bill to curtail the statistically non-existent problem of in-person voter fraud that led to a slew of lawsuits, was barely upheld in a U.S. Supreme Court challenge, and was then duplicated by various other Republican-controlled state legislatures to ensure voter suppression as a national tactic. What really made Jackie Walorski stand out, however, was her complete dedication to attacks on a woman’ right to choose, often sabotaging common sense legislation in the Indiana state legislature by adding on riders or amendments regarding abortion that would be the “poison pill” to make Democrats in Indiana forced to no longer support it. She used this tactic most famously (and disgustingly) to sabotage legislation to prevent hate crimes against the LGBTQ community by putting in an amendment to consider fetuses a protected group. Walorski decided to make the jump to national politics and hoped to ride the Tea Party Wave to Washington, D.C., to represent Indiana’s 2nd District in the 2010 elections, challenging Democratic Congressman Joe Donnelly for his U.S. House seat. During that campaign, she spoke about privatizing Social Security, and with her radical record in the Indiana state legislature, voters still balked at the idea of putting her into office.

But alas, she still wasn’t giving up hope, especially after Indiana’s 2nd District was gerrymandered after the 2010 elections by House Republicans so that Walorski could get another chance at weaseling her way into Congress again, once it had a +6 Republican lean, rather than the previous rating, only a +2 lean, that it had when she lost to Joe Donnelly in 2010. Donnelly didn’t want a rematch, and instead, ran a successful campaign in 2012 to be elected to the U.S. Senate.

Jackie Walorski would lose any advantage she might have gained from fundraising, though, after she was involved in a scandal regarding her attempts to fundraise off of a Planned Parenthood “sting” video. No, not the ones that popped up over the summer of 2015. Walorski was using footage from a pro-life activist pretending to be a 13 year old girl and go to a Planned Parenthood to raise money for her campaign coffers even prior to that slander. She sent the fundraising letter out during a period when it wasn’t allowed, then tried saying the ethics committee who were investigating her for doing so were “overlooking the rape and sexual abuse of a 13-year old minor”. (Which, again, wasn’t true, she wasn’t 13, wasn’t raped or abused, and wasn’t pregnant.) Anyway, Walorski’s Democratic opponent was an Iraq War Veteran Brendan Mullen, and as the polling showed the race tightening in August of 2012, she made the classy decision to doxx him, and release his home addresses in Washington, D.C., to the public in a campaign ad. Sadly, this tactic may have worked, as Walorski won office by only about 3,800 votes, 49 to 48%.(And we remind you, this was after the district was gerrymandered to help her as a Republican.)

Since she arrived in the capitol, Walorski's voting record includes votes against disaster relief funding for victims of Hurricane Sandy, voting to defund the Department of Homeland Security to protest President Obama's executive orders on delayed deportations, voting for the 2013 Government Shutdown and all anti-choice legislation that comes to the floor. Oh, and she did react to the more recent faux-controversy over Planned Parenthood because of the Center for Medical Progress bogus sting videos, accusing the organization of "selling baby body parts." Which if you recall, is the exact kind of rhetoric that motivated Robert Dear, the shooter who attacked and killed several people at a Colorado Springs Planned Parenthood, so thanks for that, Jackie.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Ironically, in 2016, Rep. Walorski survived both a primary challenge because of how she pulled her own anti-choice bill, HR 7, because she realized too late that it would not provide exceptions for rape, unless it was reported to authorities. Both Walorski and Rep. Renee Ellmers panicked, and called for their own legislation to be dropped before they risked reigniting the War on Women claims the GOP had been battling in a big way (considering they schedule the vote on the anniversary of the Roe v. Wade ruling, yeah, it would have been pretty bad). Walorski was immediately branded a traitor to the Pro-Life movement, and did her best to earn back their good graces by getting her name down as a co-sponsor on HR 36 in May of 2015, but to no avail, she’s made herself the target of primary challenges for blinking whatsoever in anti-choice fanaticism.

Jackie Walorski was re-elected in 2020 with 61% of the vote. She is currently doing everything she apparently can to assure the Covid-19 pandemic continues, calling the concept of vaccine passports that would be required to be carried for admission to venues as “Un-American, because there’s nothing more representative of the USA than having the medical capability to fight a disease but allowing plague carriers to still spread it.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Four bullets isn't half a clip in most guns, and I imagine that officers in that area are trained in short bursts. In the heat of the moment, sadly, it is restrained.

Good shooting is a poor word, agreed. Justified is better, but whatever word is used, it's still a tragedy.
    There are 15 rounds in a standard police glock, so four isn't really that far off from half so let's not try and make it sound like it was an insignificant amount of force used or that it was restrained and on top of that you certainly don't need four bullets to put down a child.

Lone Arizona Republican votes 'no,' blocking passage of bill targeting mail voting

A bill that would stop some voters from getting a ballot automatically mailed to them each election failed unexpectedly in Arizona’s state Senate Thursday after a single Republican joined Democrats in voting against the legislation.

GOP state Sen. Kelly Townsend explained her surprise "no" vote on the state Senate floor amid a tense episode that saw the senator get into a heated confrontation with the bill's sponsor and the pair attempt to silence each other with parliamentary rules.

"I am for this bill, but I am not voting for it until after the audit," she said, referring to an audit orchestrated by Senate Republicans of the 2020 election results in Maricopa County reportedly set to get underway this week. President Joe Biden narrowly won the state.

Townsend added that other election-related bills had not been advanced. "We have no business fast tracking everything and going home."

The bill's sponsor, Republican state Sen. Michelle Ugenti-Rita, said on the floor it was "disappointing to be on the receiving end of someone’s temper tantrum."
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

If North and South Dakota became one State, their combined population would rank somewhere between Hawaii and Idaho.

DC has a larger population than either Vermont or Wyoming.

DC is more densely populated than NJ

If the land size of NJ was increased to be the same as California and the population density remained the same, New Jersey would have about 61% of the population of the entire US.

If you do the same for DC, then it would have about 6x the current population of the US.

Just a few interesting statistics.
    Last edited by Tami; 04-22-2021 at 04:16 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.