Page 512 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 1241246250250850951051151251351451551652256261210121512 ... LastLast
Results 7,666 to 7,680 of 75153
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I don't think there are many Republicans who vote for Democratic candidates except under unique circumstances - but there are right leaning independents who might be more likely to do so. The trick is to connect with them while not alienating the Democratic base. Harris is one of the best chances to do that - and her Senate replacement will be picked by another Democrat, which will be crucial if Biden wins.
    That hardcore 40 or so percent that are solidly in the Trump camp are a lost cause, short and sweet, there's no deprogramming those cultists. As for Republicans on the fence, while they don't like Trump for the lousy job he's done, especially his piss poor response to the pandemic, voting for a Democrat might be a bridge too far for them. Still, they figure to be worth taking the time to conduct outreach, just to see if they could be convinced to move away from the GOP. The independents and undecideds will be key to the race, most notably in battleground states.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 08-12-2020 at 04:29 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

US health chief skeptical of Russia's virus vaccine claim

Washington's health chief on Wednesday expressed skepticism about Russia's claim of developing the world's first safe coronavirus vaccine, pointing to the lack of data from its initial trials.

Moscow said Tuesday its vaccine offered "sustainable immunity" against the virus, but Western scientists have previously raised concerns about the development speed of Russian treatments, suggesting researchers were cutting corners.

US Health Secretary Alex Azar echoed those concerns Wednesday as he wrapped up a three-day visit to Taiwan.

"It's important that we provide safe, effective vaccines and that the data be transparent... This is not a race to be first," he told reporters during a conference call.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    That hardcore 40 or so percent that are solidly in the Trump camp are a lost cause, short and sweet, there's no deprogramming those cultists. As for Republicans on the fence, while they don't like Trump for the lousy job he's done, especially his piss poor response to the pandemic, voting for a Democrat might be a bridge too far for them. Still, they figure to be worth taking the time to conduct outreach, just to see if they could be convinced to move away from the GOP. The independents and undecideds will be key to the race, most notably in battleground states.
    When Trump's gone, I wonder if they're gonna act like the GOP did with Bush Jr, pretend that he was never there

On this date in 2014, "Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" published our profile of former 2014 Illinois gubernatorial candidate Susan Atanus, the former candidate for U.S. Congress to represent Illinois’ 9th District who believes that God created things like tornadoes and autism to punish us for abortions and tolerance of gays. Oh, and if we don’t stop same-sex marriage, there’s going to be an AIDS epidemic that will weaken our military. She was insane enough that the Illinois GOP scrambled to get her off the ballot for a Congressional run even though she won the 2014 primary, and she fought tooth and nail to stay on and lose by over 30 points against Jan Schakowsky.

In 2015, 2016, 2017, as well as 2018, as well as 2019, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" profiled Andy Holt, a member of the Tennessee House of Representatives who popped up in the 2010 Tea Party Wave, and back in July of 2015, bent over backwards to try to do a rewrite of history to defend the honor of Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest, aka the first Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan (who even prior to leading the KKK, was accused of war crimes after the war for massacring African Americans as they attempted to surrender). Taking a look at Holt’s voting record, his affection for the Confederacy still carries over into at least his support of nullification measures, stricter Voter ID laws, and his support to keep Confederate landmarks intact with their original names. Holt also supported the Tennessee GOP’s attempt to pass the obviously unconstitutional law to declare the Bible the state book, and has voted for measures to try and get Bible studies taught in schools. Our discussion still went farther, though, in our research, we also noted that Holt also referred to the footage recorded by undercover police officers trying to bust a sex trafficking ring as “tape and rape”, which is decidedly large lack of tact. Holt, as we have noticed that he is becoming more and more of a fan of guns, if that were at all possible. While there’s nothing stopping any candidate for office from having one of those controversial giveaways of an AR-15 at one of their political rallies, as he now has done, but he’s also looking to offer free gun permits to attendees whenever possible. Man, next thing you know, Andy Holt’s going to have his own loyal army of supporters in Tennessee armed to the teeth. Is there any cause to be concerned as to why a guy who has praised the founder of the KKK and likes voting for the kinds of nullification bills that started the Civil War would do something like that?

Well, not for nothing, but while Ammon Bundy and his militia cronies decided to occupy the Malheur Wildlife Refuge in Oregon, Andy Holt’s name popped up in the media, as he posted on Twitter an offer to send them support on January 4th, 2016. So we’re seeing that he now might be building his own militia, after previously allying himself with a group of domestic terrorists with vacuous plans to have an insurrection against the federal government. This is exactly the sort of behavior you don’t want to see from an elected official… right? It’s not like he’s calling on people to ignore the government or anything… oh. Oh wait. He did that too. Yes, Andy Holt recorded a video of himself burning up traffic citations he had received, and encouraged others to do the same.”

Holt also has accrued a number of speeding tickets in double digits, that he doesn’t want to pay the fines on. Ten of those traffic-cam tickets are in one town alone. And it wouldn’t be a conflict of interests if he got the law overturned so he didn’t have to pay the fines, right?

And, Andy Holt has taken up the standard, level-headed crusade of trying to better censor Tennessee lottery commercials, apparently unhappy with the theme that people might get lucky if they play, and there’s no hope so quit giving that to the poor. And, when one of those lottos was Christmas-themed, Holt literally invoked the, “quit ruining Jesus’ birthday” argument. (We’re not joking.)

So it should also come as no surprise that as much of the country responded to events in Charlottesville by making the decision to push ahead and remove Confederate monuments. And Holt, unable to just accept that the city of Memphis decided to remove statues to men he holds in such regard for having fought for their right to keep slaves, needed himself a scalp to even out the imaginary racist scoreboard. He settled for voting to pull $250,000 from the budget for Memphis’ bicentennial celebration, and was one of the most vocal proponents of the bill.

You might think that Andy Holt is out on the fringe, but through most of 2018, he was considering a run for U.S. Senate to challenge Bob Corker. Once Corker retired, though, all the sharks in the GOP smelled the blood in the water, and a bigger fish named Marsha Blackburn came in and scared Holt off. He won re-election to another term in the state legislature with 72% of the vote in 2018.

He returned to the realm of controversy almost immediately, attacking fellow Republican Jay Bush for, quite effectively, “not liking Donald Trump enough, and harassing his colleague on Twitter by posting bizarre photos of him surrounded by hot dogs and cats, with a set of horns made of hot dogs.

Because that’s normal to do that to anyone, especially people in your own party. Which, of course, means he’s infinitely s***tier to his Democratic colleagues, as exhibited back in April of 2019 when during a debate about legalizing online gambling (he seriously hates gambling with the passion of a thousand suns), Holt began comparing gambling addiction to… what else… SLAVERY. And the person he was lecturing across the aisle was, of course, African American.

But, we have outstanding news… on March 18th, 2020, Andy Holt announced he would not be running for re-election to the Tennessee state legislature to “spend time with his family”. Whatever scandal that was about to drop that forced him to resign instead and use that as his cover story… we don’t know what it is, but we’re just relieved that he will no longer be in office. GOOD RIDDANCE.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Trump embraces Marjorie Taylor Green, a believer in Qanon, a conspiracy theory that asserts liberal Hollywood actors and Democratic politicians are running an international child sex-trafficking ring and Trump is the only one who can stop them
    Twitter Link
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Saw this on Twitter:

Can’t argue that. Harris versus Pence in a debate will be like the Mike Tyson-Michael Spinks fight, a first class mauling.
    Haha, I'm going challenge that, Michael Spinks at one time was a fantastic boxer and was a champion in two weight classes, he just got beat.

A Harris v. Pence debate would be more like Mike Tyson whoppin' Mitch Green's ass in the street in Dapper Dan's store back in 1987.

Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Haha, I'm going challenge that, Michael Spinks at one time was a fantastic boxer and was a champion in two weight classes, he just got beat.

A Harris v. Pence debate would be more like Mike Tyson whoppin' Mitch Green's ass in the street in Dapper Dan's store back in 1987.

My adult mind still recoils at seeing Green’s smashed up eye on tv.

Screenshot_2020-08-12 George Conway on Twitter there are 277 democrats in Congress why would rea.jpg

Twitter Link

Maybe it's because Senator Cory Booker is so damn charming (he really is!)
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Eddie Murphy had a whole stand up bit about Mitch Green's eye being so swollen it gave its own interview, if memory serves.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Sorry WBE, add another fool to the pile. We got another Q fool heading for Washington.

Meet Marjorie Greene, the person who just took the Republican nomination for Georgia 14th Congressional District.
    Already clocked her for a profile.

You have a point there. Green's eye is probably still swollen shut to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Yeah, that's the reason! Trump can't stand men more charming than him.

Trump can't stand men more charming than him.
    I guess that's why Stephen Miller has stuck around so long. He's a charisma dead zone.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Striderblack01 View Post
    Two points

1. This flies in the face of the narrative here that “progressives will go along and defend everything Bernie dies”. It wasn’t about him being a deity to them. He was just pushing their ideals the most and now he’s useless.

2. Warren has a very moderate following for a progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I don't think there are many Republicans who vote for Democratic candidates except under unique circumstances - but there are right leaning independents who might be more likely to do so. The trick is to connect with them while not alienating the Democratic base. Harris is one of the best chances to do that - and her Senate replacement will be picked by another Democrat, which will be crucial if Biden wins.
    There are lots of people who voted Trump who can be swayed. 2016 was a year where people wanted change and a non establishment candidate. Trump and Sanders represented that. If not for the fix being in Sanders would have been the 2016 nominee. Instead they got Clinton who represented career politics and the establishment. Plus she she was extremely polarizing and unlikable and her husband is a rapist whom she defended. So many voted Trump and hoped for the best. Or they voted 3rd party like I did - I'd never voted against the democratic ticket until 2016 but there was no way I was voting for a Clinton again (I voted for Bill both times because I didn't believe his victims back then, I do now) Now 4 years later having seen that Trump just embraced the swamp instead of changing the status quo, you can probably see many of them realize that a career politician wasn't such a bad thing and that Biden is better than the temper tantrum man child in office now. I'd still vote 3rd party if I had a do over in 2016 as I hate the Clintons that much but I'm voting Biden this year and I'm sure many non Clinton voters will join me. Especially since Biden didn't screw up the VP pick with someone like Abrams who would have made Sarah Palin look great.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Kamala Karen was first a prosecutor, now a scumbag politician that 'identifies' herself as a black woman accusing Biden of Racism.

Somebody with a twisted history like that is going to change opinions more than the tides.

If Biden picked Rice, he would have had an actual composed person backing him up who has an outreach to both Republicans and the African American Community.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Or, she just said it because it's what a "Politics As Vocation..." politician would do in such a situation.
    Ah, so now we progress to shitting all over Biden's VP pick. Frankly, I'm not surprised.

Thank you for helping Trump get his next term.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe