Page 930 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 430830880920926927928929930931932933934940980103014301930 ... LastLast
Results 13,936 to 13,950 of 75153
    Mighty Member

My Province just voted in the Social Democratic Party by a landslide, the first left wing majority in almost 25 years.

Part of their electoral success is that they were so effective and responsible in keeping the COVID numbers down, just like the recent left wing landslide in New Zealand.

Assuming Americans think like their fellow cousins, than Trump is most likely going down to defeat in November, fingers crossed.

Yeah, Abbott is doing whatever he can to stop Biden from winning. I am sure he will stop the mail in vote count if it comes to that. But Biden being competitive says something.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    My Province just voted in the Social Democratic Party by a landslide, the first left wing majority in almost 25 years.

Part of their electoral success is that they were so effective and responsible in keeping the COVID numbers down, just like the recent left wing landslide in New Zealand.

Assuming Americans think like their fellow cousins, than Trump is most likely going down to defeat in November, fingers crossed.
    The fact that several states are as close as they are is probably proof enough that enough Americans think like that to make at least somewhat of a difference but rhetoric can limit that.

Academic Fredrik deBoer has written The Cult of Smart, about the problems with the way modern American society prizes intellect. It's an interesting argument, which he discusses in an interview with Business Insider.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cult...8KgCdVXreQsFXk

You call this book "a prayer for the untalented." What does that mean?

When both conservatives and liberals discuss a just society, they tend to use language like "everyone should get what they deserve" or "everyone should be able to maximize their own potential." That they should not be held back by outside factors that we consider illegitimate, like how rich their parents are. My position in the book is, why do we stop there?

In other words, if your natural talent is something that you have incomplete control over, then that's no more of a natural or just reason to restrict someone from living the good life than anything else. I want us to peel back that onion one more level and look at those who just lack natural talent in things that happen to be marketable in today's economy and ask, "Why should they suffer?"

You wrote that the conservative point of view is focused on grit. Something like, "grit will get you through hardship and toward success." And you wrote that the liberal point of view is focused on opportunity and equity.

In the book, you say sometimes it just doesn't matter. Some kids just don't have what it takes to succeed at school. Why do you think people can't accept that? What makes it so controversial?

Conservatives tend to really be invested in this notion of the self-made man. They want to believe that what they have, they have because they've earned it. In order to preserve that belief, you have to minimize the influence of factors that are out of your control.

Liberals want to preserve a sort of naive vision of human equality. Of course, I believe in human equality, but I believe in equality of dignity, equality of rights, and political equality. But I don't believe that everyone is equally good at all things. And it's important to say that part of what people are trying to preserve is an economy where what is valued at what time is a somewhat arbitrary distinction.

There was a time in human affairs when just being a big strong guy made you someone who was able to secure more for yourself and other people. If you were someone who was able to be a really effective laborer, if you were someone who was able to haul a lot of wood, if you were someone who was able to be physically imposing on a battlefield — those talents were things that were highly sought after and resulted in a high level of compensation. Now, a person like that is just as likely to be unemployed as he is to be someone who is doing well in the economy. And in fact, the jobs that really depend upon your physical attributes are ones that — with the exception of professional athletics — tend to be low-paying.

We can't underestimate the fact that liberals tend to talk a really good game about the injustices of the economy, but a lot of the liberals who do that talking are people who have succeeded in this economy. And so to a degree that they don't like to admit, they have a vested interest in preserving the economy as it stands.
    He notes how there's a touchiness about innate intellect that doesn't really apply in other fields.

I understand why everybody is so touchy about this. The education research people would prefer to say "baseline ability" rather than "inherited ability." I don't care about the language that you use. We are all good at some things and not good at other things. And it just so happens that school is one of the things that we are all good at or not good at.

In other words, no one has any problem with me saying that I lack natural ability in sprinting. It doesn't matter if I had decided in middle school that I wanted to be a world-class sprinter. It wouldn't have mattered. No matter how hard I worked, no matter how good the coaching that I had, no matter how expensive the equipment I used, I would never become a world-class sprinter.

No one pretends everybody has the same athletic gifts. And in fields like music, there is also a sense that it's common for some people to have natural talent that others do not. But it's only with school that we become incredibly sensitive to the perception that we're saying that some people lack natural ability.
    He likely underrates the significance of practice and helping in helping people achieve their potential, but it does get to an important and rarely discussed question: What should society do for people who aren't bright enough to succeed in modern in-demand jobs?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Vice President’s Chief Of Staff Is Second Top Aide To Test Positive For COVID-19

Pence aide Marty Obst reportedly tested positive earlier this week. And yet, Red Grant plans to continue campaigning. By the way....

Joe Biden Trolls Donald Trump With Spoof COVID-19 Plan Website

The Democratic nominee slammed the president’s coronavirus failings with TrumpCovidPlan.com. Sick. Burn.

The White Supremacist And Extremist Donors To Trump’s 2020 Campaign

His reelection campaign has not rejected or returned campaign contributions from multiple well-known far-right bigots, FEC records show. Big surprise, right? If Osama bin Laden were still alive and sent Trump a contribution, he'd take it.

Biden Says He’ll Be A President For All, Including Pro-Trump ‘Chumps’ At Rally

Biden pledged that he will avoid the partisan blaming of Donald Trump, even as Trump supporters heckled him at an event in Pennsylvania on Saturday.

Thousands Of Early Voters Waited For Hours In Snaking Lines On Saturday To Cast Their Ballots

New York voters waited in long lines on the first day of early voting in their state. Voters also flooded polling sites in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Alabama and elsewhere.

Lincoln Project Attorney Scorches Lawsuit Threat Over Ivanka, Jared Billboards

“Peddle your scare tactics elsewhere. The Lincoln Project will not be intimidated by such empty bluster,” attorney Matthew Sanderson blasts in letter.

What Jared and Ivanka have to realize is that when one brings a lawsuit for libel or slander, the burden of proof is on you. So they each have to prove that the content of those billboards is false. But the one with Ivanka contains two provable facts and the one with Jared contains a quote from him that was recorded. I'm guessing that their strategy is the same as Ivanka's father's strategy: delay, delay, delay until the other side offers a deal. But I don't see the Lincoln Project doing that.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    It's a completely illogical idea that, under an increasingly fascist regime, it's the fascism-sympathizers who are shy about voicing their opinions.
    Agreed. These loons have shown no compunction about proudly waving their Trump flags, holding flotillas (a.k.a. ships of fools), the whole nine yards of nonsense. Why should they be shy about supporting their great white dope.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    What Jared and Ivanka have to realize is that when one brings a lawsuit for libel or slander, the burden of proof is on you. So they each have to prove that the content of those billboards is false. But the one with Ivanka contains two provable facts and the one with Jared contains a quote from him that was recorded. I'm guessing that their strategy is the same as Ivanka's father's strategy: delay, delay, delay until the other side offers a deal. But I don't see the Lincoln Project doing that.
    Yep. You know, I honestly think the Lincoln Project should become it's own party, especially if it can't reform the Republicans. It would attract more voters willing to vote on economic issues while also being pro life, but not into the extremism of the current Republicans. They have after all shown themselves to be far more willing to work bi-partisan.
    Last edited by ChangingStation; 10-25-2020 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChangingStation View Post
    Yep. You know, I honestly think the Lincoln Project should become it's own party, especially if it can't reform the Republicans. It would attract more voters willing to vote on economic issues while also being pro life, but not into the extremism of the current Republicans. They have after all shown themselves to be far more willing to work bi-partisan.
    Why not? When Lincoln was the first Republican President, the Republican Party was quite young, wasn't quite the "Grand Old Party" yet. In fact, they only came up because the Whig Party was fragmenting. Maybe the Lincoln Project can do the same for a fragmenting Republican Party.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Right Wing Propaganda site RCP has now ignored the last two Wisconsin polls by respectable pollsters they otherwise publish (Morning Consult and Gravis) that showed Biden with double digit leads. That way, they can leave Wisconsin as a toss-up on their EC map.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Right Wing Propaganda site RCP has now ignored the last two Wisconsin polls by respectable pollsters they otherwise publish (Morning Consult and Gravis) that showed Biden with double digit leads. That way, they can leave Wisconsin as a toss-up on their EC map.
    Sketchy feckers.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I would laugh hard if Texas went Democrat after seeing people proudly post how Biden lost Texas in last debate and see the WTF reaction . But I don't see it happening ..yet.

Were so many days away from this Super Bowl playing out. It can go either way and we will have to wait. I'll hope for a great outcome but won't guarantee its gonna happen.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I would laugh hard if Texas went Democrat after seeing people proudly post how Biden lost Texas in last debate and see the WTF reaction . But I don't see it happening ..yet.

Were so many days away from this Super Bowl playing out. It can go either way and we will have to wait. I'll hope for a great outcome but won't guarantee its gonna happen.
    You never know when the Refs will ignore passing interference.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Why not? When Lincoln was the first Republican President, the Republican Party was quite young, wasn't quite the "Grand Old Party" yet. In fact, they only came up because the Whig Party was fragmenting. Maybe the Lincoln Project can do the same for a fragmenting Republican Party.
    The Lincoln Project people support the same toxic agenda as Trump and the rest of GOP when it comes to healthcare, immigration, the environment, racial justice, taxes, foreign wars, and all the rest. Their only objection to Trump is that he's always saying the quiet part out loud, which conflicts with the traditional Republican MO of screwing people over but retaining enough plausible deniability to avoid taking responsibility. But the cat's out of the bag now, we can never go back to pretending like the Republicans aren't a racist party at their core, or that their voters are hard working "real" Americans that form the backbone of this nation as opposed to bigoted gutter trash who are utterly redundant and disposable in the modern world. Hopefully the Democrats have wised up just a bit to these tactics, if and when they manage to take power, and will ignore any and all GOP trolling about the deficit again or constitutional norms or whatever.

The future political alignment of this country will probably pit a center right Democratic party against a left wing party pushing a more radical progressive agenda, with various ethnic blocs focused on their own communities' issues trying to position themselves as swing votes and playing the two sides against each other, a common feature in many countries but something completely absent here because all minority groups are forced to vote Democrat and thus have zero leverage in national politics. The Republicans will disappear from the national stage sooner or later, as their base dies out and as the fallout from their poor governance, not just under Trump but also Bush, Reagan, Nixon, etc. continue to compound and cause more harm. The party leadership knows this, hence their grand plan to plant as many of their own in the courts and continue to legislate from the bench long after they've lost any ability to win elections, much like how John Marshall kept Federalism alive into the 1830s long after the party itself had disappeared. But given the rapidly changing society in which we live and the novel solutions that are required to tackle the challenges we face, I have a hard time seeing how any kind of precedent can justify keeping someone like Amy Coney Barrett on the court until 2060 (!), when she will be the same age as RBG was when she died.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    You never know when the Refs will ignore passing interference.
    Yep , lots of factors on how Trump has the edge here. That Biden is the big underdog heading into this. He's not in power , so he doesn't have that. Biden sending Obama to battle ground states to help him shows Joe knows he's an underdog in this fight. He is the Kansas City Chiefs heading into a Super showdown.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Yep , lots of factors on how Trump has the edge here. That Biden is the big underdog heading into this. He's not in power , so he doesn't have that. Biden sending Obama to battle ground states to help him shows Joe knows he's an underdog in this fight. He is the Kansas City Chiefs heading into a Super showdown.
    Of course, though Trump has two deficits that Biden doesn't, his allies have already begun to try to distance themselves from him undoubtedly because they are worried the effect that not conceding will have on their party. And Biden has money saved to challenge the courts.