https://twitter.com/mikedebonis/stat...20709752786949

This is some good info on Manchin and voting rights, and includes what he wants in voting legislation. Most of its pretty good (though not all of it) and he smartly wants to pull the Voter ID rug out from under the GOP. Much as I may loathe Manchin, there's no doubt he's a pretty good politician. I've argued that Dems need to get in control of the voter ID issue for a while, and Manchin is putting it front and center here. There are also some bad items here, such as the end to no-excuse absentee voting, but all in all, it's good to see some movement here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    We both have a bad record as agents in that area.
    Yeah, I was just being a smartass.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Yeah, I was just being a smartass.
    I know, but more seriously, you are right of course.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

https://twitter.com/mikedebonis/stat...20709752786949

This is some good info on Manchin and voting rights, and includes what he wants in voting legislation. Most of its pretty good (though not all of it) and he smartly wants to pull the Voter ID rug out from under the GOP. Much as I may loathe Manchin, there's no doubt he's a pretty good politician. I've argued that Dems need to get in control of the voter ID issue for a while, and Manchin is putting it front and center here. There are also some bad items here, such as the end to no-excuse absentee voting, but all in all, it's good to see some movement here.
    If he doesn't support the end of the filibuster, it doesn't mean anything.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

This coincided with the reminder that he's open to some modifications to it. I think the most likely scenario is that it's going to require the opposition to actually show up and vote nay, over and over again. Manchin has always smartly left himself some wiggle room here. Sinema, on the other hand, could be the bigger problem at this point.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Got an alert that SCOTUS dismissed a GQP challenge to Obamacare, preserving insurance for millions.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Got an alert that SCOTUS dismissed a GQP challenge to Obamacare, preserving insurance for millions.
    It also is letting a catholic foster care organization deny adoptions to same sex couples and continue to operate. It is, fortunately, a very 'narrow ruling' apparently.

https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog?ref_s...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

The Republicans who voted against making Juneteenth a federal holiday:

Andy Biggs (AZ)
    Mo Brooks (AL)
    Andrew Clyde (GA)
    Scott DesJarlais (TN)
    Paul Gosar (AZ)
    Ronny Jackson (TX)
    Doug LaMalfa (CA)
    Thomas Massie (KY)
    Tom McClintock (CA)
    Ralph Norman (SC)
    Mike Rogers (AL)
    Matt Rosendale (MT)
    Chip Roy (TX)
    Tom Tiffany (WI)

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    My my, MTG, Gohmert, and Boebert voted yes? *checks the window* Don't see any pigs flying. Guess MTG didn't want to do another museum visit.

I spotted my congressman, Tom Tiffany, there. You may want to keep him on your radar.

Also, those comments from the other nay voters. Yeeesh, Rosendale is a special kind of dick idiot.
    Cue the inevitable “War on the Fourth of July” rhetoric.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    My my, MTG, Gohmert, and Boebert voted yes? *checks the window* Don't see any pigs flying. Guess MTG didn't want to do another museum visit.

I spotted my congressman, Tom Tiffany, there. You may want to keep him on your radar.

Also, those comments from the other nay voters. Yeeesh, Rosendale is a special kind of dick idiot.

Their intent is to replace the Fourth of July with this new day, one that will inevitably focus on America's darkest moments.
    Freeing the slaves was America's darkest moment? The guys is saying a lot about himself there...

I heard last night that he is open to modifying the fillibuster to only require 55 votes on voting rights bills. Not sure if that is accurate or not.

Personally, I think the Democrats need to go with Manchin on this and get his version of a voting rights bill passed. Get it done before 2022, secure voting rights for as many people as possible. Then they need to work their asses off to get more Democrats elected in the house, and especially the Senate. Increase their majority so that Manchin becomes a non-issue once more, then pass an even more comprehensive voting rights bill.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I heard last night that he is open to modifying the fillibuster to only require 55 votes on voting rights bills. Not sure if that is accurate or not.

Personally, I think the Democrats need to go with Manchin on this and get his version of a voting rights bill passed. Get it done before 2022, secure voting rights for as many people as possible. Then they need to work their asses off to get more Democrats elected in the house, and especially the Senate. Increase their majority so that Manchin becomes a non-issue once more, then pass an even more comprehensive voting rights bill.
    He's indicated that before and walked it back before, but I do think it's ultimately gonna happen. Meanwhile, the GOP are already calling the Manchin plan the 'stacy abrams plan' because she backed it. Gee, I wonder why they'd wanna focus on her instead of Manchin?

... uh holy crap. WBE....

n a secretly recorded phone call last week, one Florida Republican congressional contender spoke openly about having another assassinated.

“My polling people are going to charge me $20,000 to do a poll right before the primary, and if the poll says Luna’s gonna win, she’s gonna be gone, she’s gonna disappear,” GOP congressional contender William Braddock told conservative activist Erin Olszewski in a phone call June 9. He was referring to a primary opponent in the race, Anna Paulina Luna, who’s since taken out a restraining order against him.
    https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/s...pponent-killed

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Unless whoever it is that your "Them..." is there actually posts in this thread?

You are talking about a "Lime..." while I was talking about a "Lemon..."
    But orange a glad the real answer isn't grapefruit?

Yeah, I posted about that this morning. The guy should be arrested ASAP.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.