I had a con I worked, and after it, I needed a few days to recover (lost 8 pounds in what I believe to be water weight).

So I'm gonna need a stretch to catch up on "Fanatical Republican Extremist of the Day", so today we got 5 to make up for lost time...
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

On this date in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, as well as 2022, “Fanatical Republican Extremist of the Day”posted profiles of the current U.S. House Representative for West Virginia’s’ 2nd District, Alex Mooney, who we noted had carpetbagged his way across the Maryland border after serving for years as a state legislator, and waiting in vain for former U.S. House Rep. Roscoe Bartlett to retire, eventually just getting annoyed enough to move to West Virginia and try to run for office there. During his time as a Maryland state legislator, though, Mooney became synonymous with the issue of LGBTQ rights, and his extreme opposition to them. At one point during a 1999 debate on hate crime legislation, Mooney sarcastically asked if people who commit beastiality should also be protected under the law, and in 2008, during a debate on same sex marriage, went as far as to claim its legalization would lead to the gay community "oppressing" religious figures and they would be "coming for the children". Mooney also has pushed for legislation to allow the display of religious monuments in public buildings (which is a violation of the Establishment clause of the First Amendment that guarantees a separation of church and state), considers any compromise on immigration to be amnesty, and speaks publicly about "gun-grabbers and pro-abortion zealots" (because that's totally the direction things have trended the past six years or so in our country). In September of 2015, Mooney also took to the floor of the House to give a speech where he accused Planned Parenthood of harvesting “baby parts” based on lies from the Center for Medical Progress, so there’s that, as well.

Now, we’re going to go ahead and lead our further discussion of Alex Mooney by pointing out that on March 28th, 2018, Alex Mooney recycled an idea from the Ron Paul school of thought regarding the American economy… he wanted to go back to the gold standard, and actually introduced legislation to try to make it a reality.

Now, if that doesn’t mean anything to you, it’s because the United States hasn’t used the gold standard in 1971. That’s right, we’re approaching fifty years since we were on the gold standard. And guess what? Some folks in the 1980s were whispering in Ronald Reagan’s ear about doing this, and guess what they determined? Doing that would cripple not just the American economy, but the global economy. Yet every now and then, some hard right goofball from the Libertarian wing of the GOP starts flogging that dead horse to see if it will come back to life, even though almost 100% of economists oppose doing it, and it’s thought of as part of the reason it was so hard for the United States to recover from the Great Depression...
    Last edited by worstblogever; 06-07-2023 at 12:44 PM.

And, after he won re-election in 2022 with 65% of the vote, let’s just say Mooney has yet to dial back his extremism:

We thought Alex Mooney might be in a bit of trouble headed into the 2022 elections, even though his district is one of the reddest in the country… and that’s because the three West Virginia Republicans holding House seats had to play musical chairs, what with the state’s population radically dropping enough that it lost a Congressional seat. Alas, Mooney defeated U.S. House Rep. David McKinley in the primary for the new WV-2, accusing McKinley of being a RINO because he… voted for the Infrastructure Bill… just… goddamn. Mooney went on to win in the general election with 65.5% of the vote.

In 2024, Mooney will be attempting to unseat Democratic Senator Joe Manchin, and is one of the four (at the moment) Republicans vying to win the nomination to do so. Gov. Jim Justice is in the mix, so we would expect Mooney to start chirping about “RINO” again since Justice was a Democrat when he first ran for office. We might take issue with Joe Manchin as a member of the Senate Democratic Caucus, but we’d choose him over a wanker like Alex Mooney any day of the week, no doubt about it.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    And for the record once more: No one exaggerated any law. A certain someone is just trying to downplay transphobia and anti LGBTQ+ bigotry. AGAIN.
    I think the description on the board was inaccurate, leaving the impression of a full ban, rather than a situation that is a bit more nuanced.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Yeah, I noticed he only replied to my "Rudy in Drag" post, not the list of things I provided where conservatives (the label doesn't even fit anymore!) moved to the right.
    Time is finite. Especially for me in the morning.

It is rather annoying to be called out for not responding to a specific post, especially when at that point it was a difference of five hours, and in the middle of the night Eastern Time.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    The support of (or "stanning of") authoritarian strongmen like Putin, Kim Jong Un and Victor Orban comes to mind. Open embrace of White Nationalism. Dismantling of institutions like the EPA (which was created under a Republican president).
    I'm generally not a fan of this stuff, but I don't think it's worse now than before.

There have been Republicans who supported authoritarian strongmen (under the guise of realpolitik or just thinking they're effective at stopping social progressives.) Russia's approval rating among the party is lower than before.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/471872/...s-new-low.aspx

Regarding the EPA, the question would be when Republicans wanted stricter standards than we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    That's horse ****, doesn't address the point I raised, and changes nothing about what I said or what you said at the time. It is merely another fine example of you attempting painfully rather obvious evasion.

And yet, conservatives finding things icky explains a lot of our current politics, though it was pretty weird you wanted to make that about 'liberals', another good example of the way a conservative can read something and extrapolate it to the entire party, like a logo on a t-shirt, while simultaneously demanding that the actual legislation introduced by their party not be seen as a meaningful representation of what their party stands for.

Hypocrite.
    Wesley Morris is a prominent progressive.

He's a film critic for a major publication (the New York Times) and has two Pulitzers (only film critic to ever do that.)

He's not some rando. Neither was the Vice Chairman of the DNC who was #4 in House leadership for the party.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    I'm hoping that all the Canadian and US posters affected by the smog caused by forest fires are staying safe.
    Here in Philly, the skies have been a hazy, milky white all day, and I can faintly smell the smoke. On a clear day, I can see the tallest of the downtown skyscrapers from my front porch, but today? No dice. Meanwhile, arriving flights to the airport have experienced delays and a code red air quality alert was issued this morning, meaning the pollution concentrations were unhealthful for the general population and that outdoor activities should be lessened, if not curtailed. Speaking of outdoor activities, the Phillies host Detroit tonight, I wonder if the game will still go on, given the conditions?

Addendum: Got an alert fifteen minutes ago that the game’s been postponed until tomorrow.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 06-07-2023 at 01:58 PM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Sure, their willingness to - but I don't particularly care if they refuse to accept given facts because their feelings got hurt - they're being offended doesn't change actual facts. This debate was brought about because Mets keeps asking for examples in spite of the fact we regularly provide them. His refusal to acknowledge them does not seem to be because we then call the GoP or specific republicans homophobes or racists, since not every time do we do that when we post these examples. Sometimes we post facts like you are asking for, without any emotive language whatsoever, and guess what? It still gets ignored.

Sorry, if I see something as being more bigotry spread around by more bigots, I'm going to call them out on it and you know I'm going to emote it. Does not change the fact that it's based on facts being factually provided as facts.
    I don't think that's accurate.

From my perspective, you guys make some serious claims, like that Ron DeSantis is so extreme no moderate Republican should consider voting for him over Joe Biden (the incumbent Democratic president with standard left-wing views who will be 86 at the end of his second term) or that it's obvious the Republican party is moving rightward.

The replies tend to be short on relevant evidence. This shouldn't be hard to provide, because if you're making a strong claim, you should be able to back it up.

In some cases, the comments are signaling. It's a tossed off comment that wasn't meant to be taken literally. The person hasn't thought about the difference between whether he'd vote for DeSantis or whether he would expect someone with different views to vote for him. Although there shouldn't be anything wrong with pointing out that a comment shouldn't be taken literally.

But if it's meant to be taken literally, we should consider it in that context. Gradation matters. It's not just about why you disagree with Ron DeSantis, but why this thing is so bad that people who would be otherwise be on his side shouldn't support him. And it's not that you would disagree with Republicans on an LGBTQ+ issue, but that they would not have reacted the same way years ago.

I don't think that's true. Multiple measures show greater support for gay marriage. The issue generally isn't that Republicans moved right, but that they're not moving left to the extent they did before.

I get that some people disagree, and have given thought to the question. They may have posted things they don't like about DeSantis or Republicans, or recalled other comments from people with similar views, and they think it's really obvious that the thing they complained about is so bad that it fits clear criteria. From my perspective, I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth so I'm not going to assume a connection until you tell me what crossed specific lines.

It may be illustrative to look at what happens one time when I ask for evidence. We'll start with the DeSantis thing. Initially, I was responding to comments about who I'd support in the primary.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    To be clear on my views on the Republican presidential primary, I prefer DeSantis to Trump and would consider voting for DeSantis in a general election. I prefer Sununu, Scott, Haley and Hutchinson over DeSantis, but New York is one of the later states, so I'm not sure who is going to be in the race at that point. I might very well vote for DeSantis if his performance in New York would affect Trump's odds of winning the nomination, or send any kind of anti-Trump signal.

I prefer DeSantis to Pence because Pence seems like an intellectual lightweight and too much of a holy-roller.

I kinda figured "never again" referred to genocide. I am against genocide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Then why would you consider voting for someone who seems very keen on heading in that direction? Do you really hate poor people and minorities that much?

The fact that you're even entertaining the possibility of voting for someone like that absolutely destroys any credibility you might think you have as some kind of 'moderate' Republican. There's no such thing any more. Your party is the party of bigotry and intolerance and hate. You either support that or you don't. And you've just declared that you do. So to hell with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Capitalism.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    US is a fabulously rich country. Not just in terms of economic wealth, but in the talent of its people, the beauty of its countryside, its cultural riches, your fertile and bountiful land.

Realistically US has every advantage going.

So how is it possible that it’s got to state that a party you (and many other regular posters here) believe is inherently and obviously evil can hold such significant sway?

(In UK, comparing our Conservatives and US Republicans is telling. Our recent political history is riven with mistakes, a fair amount of greed, and petty corruption. But…as a habitual Labour supporter…I’ve honestly never believed that the average British Conservative is a bad person.)
    Anyone who wins a swing state by 20 points is typically capable of getting the votes of moderate Republicans.

I don't think DeSantis is guiding the country to genocide. This seems like the left-wing version of the most extreme claims against Democrats like Gavin Newsom.
    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Those aren't moderate Republicans then, because he is SUPER anti-lgbtq. You literally can't be a moderate and tolerate those policies. He doesn't even try to hide it.
    Here comes the question...
    He's not a Nazi. There seems to be a chasm between his policies and herding minorities into railway cars leading to death camps.

What makes his policies go so far that a moderate member of his party should not even consider voting for him (at least against Biden, who is a straightforward Democrat)? That's a pretty high bar.
    Going by history, that 'chasm' is probably about 2-5 years wide. Which is why Obergruppenführer DeSantis doesn't want it taught.

We're already well aware of the kind of deplorable actions and policies so-called "moderate" Republicans are willing to overlook, if not support outright, in order to make sure their team is the one in charge. That's how that orange shitgibbon you claim to despise so much ended up in the White House.
    All of his policies concerning the LGBTQ community. It's not some obscure thing here.

A moderate Republican is one who fully supports equality for the gay and minority communities and is against marginalizing them and limiting their rights but differs with Democrats on such issues as taxes and social spending.

Ron Desantis does not align with those views. It's very simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    His policies are Trump’s, and he’s fully invested in Trumpism Minus Trump - as Trumpism has become the governing power and voting bloc of GOP at this time. The only real difference between him and Trump in substance is that he offers it be mildly less of a personal sideshow while still pursuing the same types of cruel but weakening policies Trump pursued.

DeSantis is in no way a moderate in actual policy and substance - he’s merely a moderate in presentation. Like Trump, he enacts persecution of others as the raison d’etre of his politics, uses a weak, regressive approach to international thought, treats sabotage of the education system as a major priority, and supports the most harmful and un-pragmatic aspects of current “conservative” thought regarding business and personal liberty.

His supporters are not “moderate” Republicans… and neither are you. They and you are more “quid pro quo” Republicans, willing to tacitly approve of and allow the same horrible and wasteful abuses of power that Trump does, just as long as a handful of policies that he and Trump both support get taken care of.

Like, I don’t usually read your stuff on this thread, because your posting style isn’t so much deceitful as it is painfully myopic and fantasist - you usually write things that basically go “If my personal selection of a small handful of hard right beliefs get policy support, isn’t it worth the cost of trading away every other policy to hard right ones as long as they’re quieter about it?” and an inability to analyze or empathize with facts that don’t comport with that fantasy, reflected in intellectually vacant and ethically dubious obfuscation and self-deception.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    You forgot pedantry.

But I'd argue DeSantis isn't even a moderate in presentation. His campaign announcement was painfully online right-wing radical.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Desantis isn't a moderate, he just doesn't throw out insults and name calling like Trump does and actually presents himself in a "normal" politician-type manner. But his interests in politics through what he has said and what he has done all points to the interests and deeds of a committed and determined fascist. The difference between DeSantis and Nazis is this - DeSantis doesn't have the power (yet) to actually push towards the genocide he craves for publicly, and unlike Hitler he doesn't have his party's love and support, Trump does. Just because he doesn't have Hitler-esque power and doesn't have much chance of gaining that power (yet - he'll lose this election, but there's always future elections...) doesn't mean he wouldn't gladly pick up where Hitler left off - especially considering how his "war on woke" targeting the LGBTQ+ community has many parallels with the early days of the Nazis rise to power and first horrid actions, and we all know what that led to. The fact that early part of Germany's history is being repeated in the US should have people concerned it might lead to repeating the rest of it down the road.

To conservatives who don't believe there should be any concern over this, I offer this challenge - slap a Trans Pride Flag sticker on your car or truck and wear a Trans Flag button on your shirt for a month, and see how comfortable you feel around certain loud and aggressive people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly this.

If DeSantis is trying present himself as a moderate he's wasting his time.

He's a MAGA Republican. All this policies are extreme, so extreme that he's attacking private businesses.

Just because he doesn't rant and rave like MTG or Trump himself doesn't mean he's not MAGA.
    Yeah, being able to string together more than a sentence without frothing at the mouth doesn't make you a moderate.
    This is beside the point on human nature, but the constitution didn't really say anything about slavery.

Concerns in southern states that judges might interpret it as an anti-slavery document contributed to an understanding that the constitution only applied to the federal government and not the states. That came to an end with the fourteenth amendment, which established that the right to due process of law and equal protection of the law now applied to both the federal and state governments.

Human nature is often terrible, but the constitution passes this test.

Who said that DeSantis is a moderate?

You're not the first guy to have this interpretation of statements.
    Oh come on, you're the one who said he was someone a moderate Republican could vote for. Let's not play games here.
    Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Oh, you did…

…or at least you tried obfuscating enough as part of your “quid pro quo” hope to trick moderates into voting for a virulent Trump With Mildly Better Caution so that you can get whatever pet-policy goals you have passed, while understanding that you’ll be sacrificing the rights, freedoms and security of others because you don’t care.

Because ultimately, you know you can’t win an intellectually honest debate, and you know you don’t actually have ethical arguments to make anymore, and you know the politicians you want to execute your goals have strapped themselves into indefensible positions… and you’re too scared of the mild possibility of being mildly inconvenienced or discomfited by slightly more left-wing politicians you’ve found yourself just trying to muddy the waters.

Like, sometimes you write a small amount of honest, observant statements, and when it’s in a short post, it’s more likely to just be that… but in longer posts, or as part of longer posts, you try making honest words do dishonest work out of, I don’t know, fear that a small increase in your taxes could happen, or that some fiction you find yourself clinging to (like Reaganomics or some kind of still nationalistic version of Christianity, I don’t know) could be disproven.

It’s why it’s not really worth addressing you accept for fun and engaging with others most times now - your posts do not include enough consistency or clarity to argue with.
    I'm not playing games.

I said that I consider voting for him over Biden, who seems to be a typical Democrat.

I later said that he had to get the votes of moderate Republicans.

This doesn't mean that he is a moderate.

I'm astonished that I have to explain this but a political candidate can get the votes of moderates within their party without being a moderate.

If someone here were to say that AOC or whoever could possibly get the votes of moderate Democrats in a presidential election against a generic Republican, it doesn't mean that she is a moderate.
    Since you're making personal comments about me, please quote the post in which I said that DeSantis is a moderate.
    No, they really can't. You cannot call yourself a moderate Republican and then support a candidate who spews anti-lgbtq garbage just about every time he opens his mouth.

AOC on the otherhand doesn't have that kind of negative aspect that would cause someone who wasn't that far left to object to.
    What has DeSantis said that is so extreme that no moderate Republican should consider voting for him over Biden?
    Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Why do you guys still bother engaging?
    I missed this post a few days ago, but you seem to describe the article incorrectly.

https://theweek.com/life/1006253/the...er-trans-teens

The article refers to the experiences of "students brought up as girls" and clarifies a description of the views of the author of a paper.

I can understand people claiming that an obscure Democratic operative wearing a shirt about how love has no borders is exaggerated and that it's worth mentioning years later to someone who noticed. Except it was a guy who was at the time #4 in House Leadership and Vice-Chairman of the DNC, after a unanimous vote. This is someone who many prominent Democrats wanted to be a voice for the party. The context had been in noting that Democrats don't have a limiting principle when it comes to immigration, and that still hasn't been articulated.

I think it's possible to understand where other people are coming from.

So we should make an effort.

In order to win elections, you do need the votes of people who won't support every candidate for your party over every candidate of the other party.

I understand that I'm here for something that other people might not be. I want to discuss politics with rational people who have a variety of views, to develop my own understanding.

Some people here don't care about. They want to vent. They want to complain to people who have very similar frames of reference, without getting called out when they go a little over the top trying to signal their real views.
    Are you seriously fucking kidding with this ****?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    Not like there's a 25 min video about what the **** is wrong about DeSantis

It's 13 posts (not counting mine) after the question until someone posts a video, but that's a generic hit piece for a left-wing audience, as opposed to specifics about what you or others feel crosses the line.

And the discussion continues for a bit longer in a similar vein.

And you guys call out JT221 for not responding on command?
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 06-07-2023 at 01:48 PM. Reason: 13 posts, not 14
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Yeah see, no point in engaging, all he does is post in bad faith and ignores anything that doesn't fit his narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Yeah see, no point in engaging, all he does is post in bad faith and ignores anything that doesn't fit his narrative.
    What did I leave out?

And how am I posting in bad faith if I go out of my way to show your comments in their original context, so that someone else can determine if they agree with my interpretation?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

It's 13 posts (not counting mine) after the question until someone posts a video, but that's a generic hit piece for a left-wing audience, as opposed to specifics about what you or others feel crosses the line.

What is the point of this :confused

If you're ok with what DeSantis has done (e.g banning books, banning gender-affirming treatment for kids, restricting and requesting the censorship of optional AA courses, going after private businesses because they spoke up against state laws etc) then there's no problem. That's your political view.

This isn't a Steven Crowder- "Change my mind" segment. If you agree with the stuff DeSantis has done, then simply say so. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. My comments were on DeSantis himself and not whatever it is you belief.
    Last edited by Username taken; 06-07-2023 at 02:08 PM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

...the specifics have been given dozens of times, I don't understand what more you need. It's as simple as this: a moderate Republican could not vote for a politician who opposes gay rights.
    Desantis opposes gay rights, ergo a moderate Republican would not vote for him.
    How hard is that to understand?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I don't think that's accurate.

From my perspective, you guys make some serious claims, like that Ron DeSantis is so extreme no moderate Republican should consider voting for him over Joe Biden (the incumbent Democratic president with standard left-wing views who will be 86 at the end of his second term) or that it's obvious the Republican party is moving rightward.

The replies tend to be short on relevant evidence. This shouldn't be hard to provide, because if you're making a strong claim, you should be able to back it up.
    We do Mets, we do back it up. You say replies are short on hard evidence, but we've linked to the laws he has passed and the words he has said and the actions he has taken, and we've linked to how those laws negatively impact real people, especially the LGBTQ community. We did this before your question, after your question, and so on. But you're not discussing that. I don't think you have it in you to discuss that. Because if you had to really debate that, I don't think you could still claim a moderate could vote for him - not unless you truly believe that a moderate can or should be ok with such homophobic and transphobic policies and rhetoric. You see how the don't say gay law and the anti-trans law are affecting people in Florida and you think that's something every moderate republican in the nation can get behind, then I don't know what to tell you anymore, I really don't. But that's what the debate on DeSantis is about, and we've provided the examples for it, and that's what you seem to ignore every time. The stuff he does against the LGBTQ isn't a blip on your radar, unless you can find a specific example that's "not that bad" out of one part of the whole bigoted affair.

I was going to read and respond to the rest of your comment and the next, but I just can't anymore. I'm going to take the advice of some others and just stop trying to debate in good faith with someone I don't feel is interested in that. I'm done with how you're more interested in seemingly everything else. I just can't be asked for evidence when I know it'll come to nothing, that it will be diminished or ignored or never replied to, or cherrypicked to find something different to argue about that was never the main point anyways. Just, good luck Mets, take care.

It’s easy to figure out after you come to the realization there are no moderate Republicans any more.
    The GOP is now a pig trough of populist demagogue worshippers, craven opportunists, and feckless cowards.

Edit: I forgot white supremacists. They’re in there too.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 06-07-2023 at 04:36 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Here in Philly, the skies have been a hazy, milky white all day, and I can faintly smell the smoke. On a clear day, I can see the tallest of the downtown skyscrapers from my front porch, but today? No dice. Meanwhile, arriving flights to the airport have experienced delays and a code red air quality alert was issued this morning, meaning the pollution concentrations were unhealthful for the general population and that outdoor activities should be lessened, if not curtailed. Speaking of outdoor activities, the Phillies host Detroit tonight, I wonder if the game will still go on, given the conditions?

Addendum: Got an alert fifteen minutes ago that the game’s been postponed until tomorrow.
    Tonight's Yankees-White Sox game has been postponed too. They let students out early at our local middle school in upstate NY. Let's all stay safe.
    Watching television is not an activity.

There are PLENTY of specifics in the John Oliver piece. It's not just a "hit piece." Don't lie, Mets.
    Watching television is not an activity.