Page 157 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 571071471531541551561571581591601611672072576571157 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,355 of 75153
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Do you think it'll be more than one percent of the population?

One rule would be that we should be consistent with how we respond to protests. It shouldn't be about their ideological position, but whatever is okay for an issue you agree with and believe needs much greater name recognition should apply just as well to someone doing the same thing on another topic.

There were probably ways he could have protested that wouldn't have pissed off the employers as much, such as hosting events for progressive political candidates, participating in documentaries, etc.

Even Bill Barr is saying that urgent work needs to be done to address grievances.
    How about police and white people be consistent with how they treat human beings ?

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    I’m now wondering if I’ve gotten the Second Amendment completely wrong. It’s clear that the USA is no longer a free state with police hunting down innocent people, protesters and journalists with wanton abandon. When do the citizens have the right to protect themselves? This is a serious question for Second Amendment protectors - what does it mean for a militia being necessary for a free state? Is it defending yourselves against a tyrannical police force?

What is the value of a brutal, oppressive police force at this stage? I can’t get on board with any cops or any police departments right now. I have no sympathy for them. They could’ve changed but they didn’t. And don’t give me that “Not all cops” - that’s just like saying “Not all men” at this stage. The world has changed and we can see the cops for what they really are.

People are concerned about if the cops lose control and there’s anarchy. Anarchy seem to me to be code for theSr problems will soon impact white and middle class people. Well, it’s already impacting African-Americans and it has for a long time. The argument against popular action now seems to be Black Businesses Matter instead of Black Lives Matter.

Or Coronavirus. Was Coronavirus stopping white people in Florida, or the Ozarks? No, it’s only when black people stand up for themselves do you see pushback. Enough is enough. Again, Coronavirus is code for this might soon affect the white and middle class. Well, you had your chance to change things. And you didn’t.

This is a reckoning.
    Firstly you saw plenty of push back against the spring breakers in Florida defying social distancing.

Secondly, you can't say all police are corrupt killers anymore than you can say all protestors are violent rioters trying to burn down local business. Yes, some of both exist but they are the exception, not the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    It's sort of the difference between the Occupy Movement and the Tea Party. The Tea Party was clearly organized and set up to capitalize on unhappiness and frustration with conservatives and reactionaries (the polite term for the far right) that felt taxes were too high and the government was encroaching on everything despite evidence to the contrary, while Occupy was at best a fragmented movement and at worst a bunch of squatters. However, people were quick to mobilize and defend the Tea Party as patriotic while Occupy protesters were the scum of the earth, and I still remember an early Ben Garrison cartoon before he went all-in on epic backgrounds (I assume it was him) where the difference between a Tea Party member and an Occupy member was that the Tea Party member was a regular American while an Occupy member was a bum that was also likely to be a "murder, rapist, and drug dealer". Conservatives are far better at the organization game than liberals and progressives; that's how they dominate the media & the blogosphere. Right wingers have a goal; they achieve that goal. Liberals have a goal, they plan the goal, but never quite get to the goal because they spend far too much time planning it out in the design stage and then debating with others (whether or not you attribute this to the Democratic Party having a much larger range from liberals to moderates and even some conservatives is your call, but think about it). And I say this as a bleeding heart.

Again, Antifa is hard to figure out exactly what it truly is, so you can easily say it is "anything a liberal is" (which as you pointed out, is where the problem lies) which has been true for just about any snarl word for the past 35-40 years since the Reagan Administration, while the Alt-Right is firmly established, with their own culture, lingo (I wish I did not know about terms like "red pill", "NPC", "autistic screeching" {which especially hits home}, and especially the usage of triple parenthesis), websites, support system, and hell, even a possible economy. But it's because one of so well structured that they're able to create the illusion that the other is also structured and is out to get everyone, which instills fear in the unknown, and conservatives often rule by fear.
    I'm sure there are plenty on the left who aren't ideologically consistent in their views on the tea party and Occupy Wall Street.

There are some major differences between the groups. The tea party generally met briefly, went on a march, and then went home. Occupy Wall Street required people to stay in one place for days in end, which is going to weed out normal people with professional and family responsibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Majority of Americans didn't vote for trump in 2016 and it looks like they won't vote for him this year either.
    Majority of voters didn't go for Hillary either.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Not quite. Trump still has that 40 percent or so of hardcore cultists who believe he walks on water and will vote for him come hell or high water, and he has the Republican Party that is invested in keeping Trump in office which, in turn, keeps them in power, so they’ll empty the arsenal of dirty tricks come election time. Oh, yeah, let’s not forget Trump doesn’t need the popular vote to win, just to clean up in the electoral college like he had in 2016. While Trump is on the ropes, he’s not dead yet.
    There are a lot of unknowns with the political implications.

Biden is leading in some polls by about ten points, and by some metrics is in a better position than any challenger in recent political history.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/31/polit...ion/index.html

We don't yet know what impact the riots will have on the polls. This could very well lead to a bounce for Trump, as the guy who seems tough on crime, and who sent in the national guard. But the bump might not be that big. Biden's probably not going to be associated with rioting.

It is also possible that the conventional wisdom that voters prefer law & order candidates comes from political science dealing with a whiter and less diverse electorate.

This might also be forgotten in November, as the election will be about the economy, the response to COVID (How bad is the second wave? How close is a vaccine?) and other crises.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    There was a sign sprayed on the BMO Plaza that said it all "**** the Status Quo". That rings true for not only the public, but also law enforcement, because if you ask me, the "one size fits all" approach you see on COPS or Live PD is nonsense.

Cops are only taught one gear in law enforcement training, and that is to assume the absolute worst. There aren't many attempts made in alternate means of crisis management or disbursement outside of hostage negotiations (and they're often just to convince the person to let go of the hostage long enough to neutralize them); it's like we tell them to always pick the nuclear option. I don't know if they still watch videos like "Surviving Edged Weapons" (an actual video that does exist and goes over-the-top on situations, like cops going to a satanic ritual where one of them blows away a woman holding a ceremonial knife before a dog comes out and the narrator asks "How many edged weapons do you see here?"), but it feels like they're literally being brainwashed into just thinking everyone walking down the street is going to turn around and attack them or something. If you got the stomach to see actual autopsy images, it's on YouTube, but RedLetterMedia did tackle the thing if you're curious about what is (or was) involved in the training process.

There are genuinely evil people in this world, for sure, but if someone commits a crime, it's often a misunderstanding or out of survival, and when the police are only taught one way to deal with every situation, especially when it comes to minorities, no wonder they have a negative reputation. I am not trying to be soft on crime, but perhaps if we improve the quality of life, the types of crime police commonly go after will go down?
    There's an old saying: When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    There's probably no way to accurately get that number.
    So don't mention any injured protestors? Only arrested?
    Makes for a skewed scenerio.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Do you think it'll be more than one percent of the population?

One rule would be that we should be consistent with how we respond to protests. It shouldn't be about their ideological position, but whatever is okay for an issue you agree with and believe needs much greater name recognition should apply just as well to someone doing the same thing on another topic.

There were probably ways he could have protested that wouldn't have pissed off the employers as much, such as hosting events for progressive political candidates, participating in documentaries, etc.

Even Bill Barr is saying that urgent work needs to be done to address grievances.
    Anyone else of particular note alongside Bernie Sanders and Bill Barr?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I'm pretty safe where I am, but I'm worried about the Cities. If the chaos hits Newark, it's going to undo all the good that has been done in the past 20+ years. I was glad that Camden hasn't fallen apart yet, but they are across the river from Philly. If Philly goes down, they might drag Camden with them, and Camden is still in bad shape as it is.
    The bridges from Philly were closed, so the crazies won’t be able to migrate over into South Jersey and especially Camden which certainly doesn’t need the madness.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

Majority of voters didn't go for Hillary either.
    Hillary won the popular vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    So don't mention any injured protestors? Only arrested?
    Makes for a skewed scenerio.
    If media isnt going out interviewing protestors injured from the riots, then they're clearly not doing their job. That's an obvious aspect of the story to tell.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    If media isnt going out interviewing protestors injured from the riots, then they're clearly not doing their job. That's an obvious aspect of the story to tell.
    Big call to make from behind a screen. Journalists are getting tear gassed and shot at and arrested.

BANNED

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...eapolis-bridge

People targeting protesters straight out the ISIS terrorist playbook.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    Big call to make from behind a screen. Journalists are getting tear gassed and shot at and arrested.
    If the journalists are in danger on the front lines of the riot, then I certainly wouldn't expect them to be interviewing people.

But I'll wager if there are injured protestors, you can go to any nearby local hospital to find a few potential sources you can interview. It shouldn't be that hard to find, as I'll wager the people injured by the police are pretty eager to tell what happened on local or national media. They're doing this to get spotlight on the issue, so I imagine the protestors are actively trying to get interviewed.

Who is Trump trying to fool? There is no such thing as normalcy during a pandemic that’s killed tens of thousands, affected millions more and crippled economies all over the world. Kudos to Madame Merkel for saying no to Drano Don whom I’m sure will have a hissy fit over being rebuffed, then insult her via Twitter.
    He's postponing the G7 Summit, and has called them "a very outdated group of countries."

Yeah, sorry for a death he wasn’t directly responsible for. I doubt very much Trump was even a tiny bit sincere, that’s just not in his makeup. Hell, he was probably prodded into saying what he did, thinking that might earn him props from the black community. Sorry, Donnie boy, but this brutha ain’t buying what you’re selling. Meanwhile, Trump hasn’t issued anything in the way of condolences for the over 100,000 people who’ve died from coronavirus on his watch. **** him and his fake sympathy.
    According to Floyd's brother, Trump didn't even give him a chance to talk.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Anywho, what's up the president today?

Oh, you know, the usual insanity and insecurity.
    So he's gone full on Montgomery Burns. Release the hounds!

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    We have the police attacking/arresting the free press and now this:

Police Vehicles Plow Into Cordon of Protesters in Brooklyn

I can understand the stress and frustration cops must be going through right now but to drive two SUV into a crowd of protesters? Things are getting out of hand.
    DiBlasio needs to shut the hell up, too. The crowd was behind a barricade. Running them all down is not a response to them throwing garbage at their trucks.

And in a 'What the hell were they thinking?" moment, Roger Goddell released a statement of sympathy over the George Floyd situation. People they rightly called him on his hypocrisy.

BANNED