Page 536 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 3643648652653253353453553653753853954054658663610361536 ... LastLast
Results 8,026 to 8,040 of 75153

I expected the blocks to come from Republicans, I didn't expect it from Sanders

Bernie Sanders did, indeed, block Obama (Democratic) nominees to USPS board

The United States Postal Service Board of Governors is all white men and Republicans. It was a clean slate for Trump and company because Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders blocked appointments by President Barack Obama for reasons that remain uncertain.
    Sanders, according to what I heard on MSNBC, didn't want any Republicans on the Board so he blocked all of Obama's attempts to put qualified people there....which is why Trump was able to fill the empty seats with his Republican Cronies.

Post Office loses another $5.1 billion; Bernie continues to prevent help

And then, there were none.

Not a single member remains of the Postal Board of Governors. The board, which is supposed to have 11 members – nine appointed by the president and approved by Congress, as well as the Postmaster General and Deputy Postmaster General – lost its final outside member, James Bilbray, when his term expired at midnight on Dec. 8.
    The governors, who advise the Postal Service on management, approve price changes and can fire the Postmaster General, serve staggered 9-year terms, so one member’s term expires each year on Dec. 8. If no replacement is approved, the law permits a governor to serve for an additional year. The board must have six members to achieve quorum.

President Obama has nominated five people to serve on the board – three Democrats and two Republicans. The Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee, which has jurisdiction over the Postal Service, has approved all five. But the full Senate has not taken up the matter because a senator – believed to be Bernie Sanders – has placed a hold on their nominations.

Sanders is said to have placed the holds at the request of postal unions, who particularly object to former Postal Board Chairmen Mickey Cochrane and James C. Miller.
    Last edited by Tami; 08-18-2020 at 04:22 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Why not? In order to do this, Louisiana will have to get a lot more Covid 19 tests, which might not be the worst thing.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Why not? In order to do this, Louisiana will have to get a lot more Covid 19 tests, which might not be the worst thing.
    Do you honestly think they'd provide the tests?

Just a modern poll tax, really

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I expected the blocks to come from Republicans, I didn't expect it from Sanders

Bernie Sanders did, indeed, block Obama (Democratic) nominees to USPS board

Sanders, according to what I heard on MSNBC, didn't want any Republicans on the Board so he blocked all of Obama's attempts to put qualified people there....which is why Trump was able to fill the empty seats with his Republican Cronies.

Post Office loses another $5.1 billion; Bernie continues to prevent help
    Wait, so holding out for a perfect nominee blew up in everyone's face?

How is that possible?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

Exactly. There should be no obstacles for an American citizen to legally vote. You shouldnt have to prove a damn thing other than you are a citizen to vote. No payments, no "tests". Its another roadblock to disenfranchise and try and keep people away. The same as making less options in polling places hoping long lines turn some away.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

If they don't provide the tests, free of charge, then it's clearly unconsitutional.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Not related: I've done some googling and haven't found reference to a Republican politician ever speaking at a Democratic convention. Has anyone ever heard of it? I have to admit my surprise at Kasich & company choosing to do so.
    The opposite has happend with Zell Miller. He was a conservative democrat. Was once the Governor of Georgia and later a Senator of Georgia that spoke at the Republican convention against John Kerry.

Did AOC actually nominate fucking Bernie Sanders? Seriously?!

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I think someone had to. She was the logical choice to do so, that doesn't mean she won't support Biden. They are following the normal pattern fo a roll call, as done virtually. It's fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I think someone had to. She was the logical choice to do so, that doesn't mean she won't support Biden. They are following the normal pattern fo a roll call, as done virtually. It's fascinating.
    https://twitter.com/aoc/status/12959...50771717?s=21M

Standard convention rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Okay, I see how it works now. I've never really paid attention before.

Talking

I know that the vast majority (as in 100%) of the Social Media (including Youtube) "political commentators" who love AOC, Bernie & their ilk detest Biden, she is likely symbolically pandering to them. I think she'll (eventually) fall in line.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Okay, I see how it works now. I've never really paid attention before.
    I have, several times. But never done like this. I actually like this way better.

Actually, come to think of it- is this the fastest a nominee has been confirmed?

I missed her. That's going to be drama.