Yeah, that's the thing. Democrats want gun control, Republicans don't want any and are perfectly happy with dead kids. Democrats need 10 Republican senator to side with them to break the filibuster, Republicans have to do literally nothing. It's the same thing that keeps happening where the status quo is impossible to overcome in our broken government.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Sure, they could hold a vote tomorrow. It would accomplish the same thing that holding it next week will: nothing. I get that people want them to stand up and show it, but ultimately, the only thing that matters is the votes in the House and Senate.
    People want to see Democrats fighting, even if they lose. They need to be seen trying to do something, and talk about wanting to do something, so they need people to vote for them.

They shouldn't preemptively give up before they even start.

This is basic politics 101.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I wasn't justifying anything. I'm simply saying no matter the restrictions that are put in, that some crazy loon some terrorist or terrorist group will find a way to get guns and shoot people, So, the argument will be "yes there's still shootings, but there's LESS shootings". I would like 0 shootings but that's not going to happen unfortunately.
    Mayhap repeating what Tendrin said, but clearly there's a difference in frequency and scope of mass murders with firearms between the US and every other developed nation on Earth. Saying we should throw up our hands and let it happen is saying we should value the self-esteem of insecure cowards who need to cling to these things to feel any sense of power or value (and again, not their value but the mistaken belief that the power of the weapon and value extends to the wielder) over the lives of our citizens.

To uphold the idea of armed insurrection as anything but a laughable masturbatory fantasy for these same pathetic cowards so they can talk tough with their buddies while stroking their self-esteem substitutes and then going back to work and buying garbage like good consumers once seemed like a viable option, but as the bubble of insanity has drifted further and further right their behavior has become increasingly violent. The "bargain" we've struck, like with the South after the Civil War and their myth of the "Lost Cause", is now too costly. Something needs to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    The silence that followed his speech was deafening…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    We need guys like this in the politcal arena. Been a fan ever since he was on the Championship Bulls team

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    This morning I switched on the different news channels and then checked out Fox news. They began there report telling the location of the shooting and mentioned it was x amount of miles (I forget how far) from the border. You can tell where they want to keep peoples minds focused even though as far as I've heard that had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING with the circumstances of this tragedy. I wonder if they do this when they report on any major crime??
    They have been hitting hard the race of the shooter. That is the only thing that matters. When They learned who the shooter was their words were "The most important thing now is to find out if this man is a citizen or an illegal."
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Yeah, that's the thing. Democrats want gun control, Republicans don't want any and are perfectly happy with dead kids. Democrats need 10 Republican senator to side with them to break the filibuster, Republicans have to do literally nothing. It's the same thing that keeps happening where the status quo is impossible to overcome in our broken government.
    They really assume this stance? What is really the justification for selling such deadly weapons to people so young? Because it is in their right, fingers crossed and too bad for the collateral damages if something wrong happens?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    People want to see Democrats fighting, even if they lose. They need to be seen trying to do something, and talk about wanting to do something, so they need people to vote for them.

They shouldn't preemptively give up before they even start.

This is basic politics 101.
    They should absolutely be talking about it and politicizing the hell out of it and I'm all for making the GOP take a vote, but we should remember that the only thing people like less than a lack of fight is losing, and people absolutely will blame the Dems for not overcoming a filibuster. We've all seen it happen before.

I'm just not convinced that storming to hold a vote today or a week from now is going to make any fundamental difference politically, or move any votes due to those factors.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    They really assume this stance? What is really the justification for selling such deadly weapons to people so young? Because it is in their right, fingers crossed and too bad for the collateral damages if something wrong happens?
    It's their stance when you get down to brass tacks.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Yup, the Republican reaction to mass shootings is to go into "there trying to take our guns!" mode in an instant, so some dead kids is a price they are all to comfortable paying to keep the status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    The man nailed it. Respect for him for speaking out. Sad thing is I have heard too many we dont need politics in our sports lines today.
    Ya Steve Kerr has been talking about gun control his entire life. His dad was killed in the 80's. Kerr is a good man and knows what he is talking about.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    This morning I switched on the different news channels and then checked out Fox news. They began there report telling the location of the shooting and mentioned it was x amount of miles (I forget how far) from the border. You can tell where they want to keep peoples minds focused even though as far as I've heard that had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING with the circumstances of this tragedy. I wonder if they do this when they report on any major crime??
    The objective is to make it sound like the shooter was a batshit crazy illegal who got ahold of a weapon and went on the rampage, something Faux News and then Qpublicans can blame on Biden and his administration’s handling of the situation at the border. Stevie Wonder could see this reprehensible **** coming from a mile away.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

Reading comments blaming Democrats in any capacity is just silly and makes no logical sense. The only thing you can blame Democrats on is not breaking filibuster to get certain issues moving. And we all know what 2 Senators will never do that currently.

The true answer is people need to stop voting GOP if they give a **** about gun control or any type of movement in that direction. It is that simple. The GOP as per usual will not do ANYTHING on gun control. "It's too early" to politicize this. "Thoughts and prayers". "They are trying to take our guns" Rinse and repeat.

They even talk about "mental health" instead of gun control. Ok fine, what are you willing to do on better healthcare for the country and making sure that "mental health" access is available for these potential shooters? *crickets* They have no damn healthcare plans yet they keep talking about better mental health.

The GOP will not change, either on racial issues, LGBT hatred, abortion....until they are so weakened and unelectable as a whole they are FORCED to reach out to other voters and jettison the base. It is that simple.

Until people stop "both sides" bs and look at reality it will be the same thing. The GOP has spun off into crazyland with example after example of more focus on hate based policy than actual governance. And no one can stop that until GOP voters themselves say wait a minute I am standing next to literal nutjobs here.
    Last edited by kidfresh512; 05-25-2022 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Reading comments blaming Democrats in any capacity is just silly and makes no logical sense. The only thing you can blame Democrats on is not breaking filibuster to get certain issues moving. And we all know what 2 Senators will never do that currently.

The true answer is people need to stop voting GOP if they give a **** about gun control or any type of movement in that direction. It is that simple. The GOP as per usual will not do ANYTHING on gun control. "It's too early" to politicize this. "Thoughts and prayers". "They are trying to take our guns" Rinse and repeat.

They even talk about "mental health" instead of gun control. Ok fine, what are you willing to do on better healthcare for the country and making sure that "mental health" access is available for these potential shooters? *crickets* They have no damn healthcare plans yet they keep talking about better mental health.

The GOP will not change, either on racial issues, LGBT hatred, abortion....until they are so weakened and unelectable as a whole they are FORCED to reach out to other voters and jettison the base. It is that simple.

Until people stop "both sides" bs and look at reality it will be the same thing. The GOP has spun off into crazyland with example after example of more focus on hate based policy than actual governance. And no one can stop that until GOP voters themselves say wait a minute I am standing next to literal nutjobs here.
    Exactly. The only way any of this changes is if the Republicans *finally* start being punished at the ballot box. Until then, the incentives are what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The objective is to make it sound like the shooter was a batshit crazy illegal who got ahold of a weapon and went on the rampage, something Faux News and then Qpublicans can blame on Biden and his administration’s handling of the situation at the border. Stevie Wonder could see this reprehensible **** coming from a mile away.

And yet their base eats it up. My aunt and her crowd. "These Mexicans killing our kids." "He was born here. he is a citizen." "He is still a Mexican." "Mexican American?" "Nope just a Mexican."
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.