Page 140 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 40901301361371381391401411421431441501902406401140 ... LastLast
Results 2,086 to 2,100 of 75153
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Who says he doesn't? Just his doctor, who obviously lies for him.
    I just wish Trump had a few drops of basic empathy. If he did, the job would have taken him out by now

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    Lol. How many excessive force complaints do they dismiss or sweep under the rug in their own cities though? Easy to have morals when it happens somewhere else.
    I think the point here is that assuming the police heads are genuine in their condemnation of that corrupt cop in Minnesota, then firing any corrupt cops and retraining in the own departments would be a way to further show that they’re genuinely concerned in improving the quality of life of black lives mattering.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    They're only shooting themselves in the foot. The coverage now is less about the corrupt cops and more about the rioters. They're flipping the narrative and making themselves out to be the bad eyes in the eyes of a lot of people who might be more sympathetic towards their plight otherwise.

And the fact that lives matter is a big part of the reason why it might not be a good ideal to do this during a pandemic, because the cornovirus doesn't care whether or not you're black or white. I'd be more worried about that than a corrupt police officer at this moment in time.
    That is my concern as well. Protests took place here in Philadelphia today, and, just like everywhere else, chaos, incited by white scumbags, probably incels who don’t give half a **** about George Floyd erupted. The city was scheduled to have lockdown restrictions eased June 5th, this debacle could set things back. That will drive citizens crazy and, in term, they’ll blame blacks who only wanted to protest peacefully but were suckered into this madness.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler declares state of emergency, imposes curfew after destructive protests: https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020...es-curfew.html

BANNED

This is what we call natural selection. If they ultimately feel riots are worth endangering their own lives, then they get what they get. I just hope their family and close family members don't suffer for the poor decisions they make.

But ignoring for a second their own lives (because frankly if they're willing to risk it that's on them anyways), it's a poor strategy. Lawful protest is one thing, but riots during a pandemin only makes them look like the bad guys in the eyes of the world. Again, they're shooting their own message in the foot. People on the news stealing and burning down buildings makes them the face of the message... and people will have a much harder time sympathizing with that.

You can protest something without looting delivery trucks and setting local business on fire. None of that has anything to do with corrupt police. You can be passionate about something without being flat out stupid.
    Lol. I sympathize with African-Americans fighting for their lives but they’re also stupid.

If you see that the message now is riots and looting and not the incredible environment of social injustice and state-sanctioned murder then that’s on you and your privilege and no amount of peaceful protesting and kneeling will ever change your mind or the minds of narrow-minded bigots.

Several years ago, I worked at a facility for troubled youth. We were trained on how to safely restrain a boy or girl, but we were also instructed to immediately release the restraint if we had ANY indication that the child's life was in danger. Of course that doesn't guarantee anything, as there was a case of a child dying while under a restraint about a year before I started working there, and there was a child who broke his nose under a restraint during my tenure there. I was not the one who restrained him, but I did sit with the kid in the infirmary while he waited for the nurse to give him his medication.

My point is that the employee in the first case was fired and the employee in the second case was investigated until it was found that boy slammed his head into the floor while trying to break the restraint and that's how he broke his nose. Now if we could have regulations like that regarding kids who have already been sentenced to a detention facility, shouldn't we expect police officers to have to obey similar regulations when there is still question as to the suspect's guilt?
    Watching television is not an activity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    I think the point here is that assuming the police heads are genuine in their condemnation of that corrupt cop in Minnesota, then firing any corrupt cops and retraining in the own departments would be a way to further show that they’re genuinely concerned in improving the quality of life of black lives mattering.
    Hasn’t been that way for more than two centuries. Won’t hold my breath.

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms gave a speech against the protests in her city.

Let me just speak to what is happening here today.

Above everything else, I am a mother. I am a mother to four black children in America, one of whom is 18 years old. And when I saw the murder of George Floyd, I hurt like a mother would hurt.

And yesterday when I heard there were rumors about violent protests in Atlanta, I did what a mother would do, I called my son and I said, ‘Where are you?’ I said, ‘I cannot protect you and black boys shouldn’t be out today.’ So, you’re not going to out concern me and out care about where we are in America. I wear this each and every day, and I pray over my children, each and every day.

So what I see happening on the streets of Atlanta is not Atlanta. This is not a protest, this is not in the spirit of Martin Luther King Jr., this is chaos. A protest has purpose. When Dr. King was assassinated, we didn’t do this to our city.

So, if you love this city, this city that has had a legacy of black mayors and black police chiefs and people who care about this city, where more than 50% of the business owners in metro Atlanta are minority business owners, if you care about this city, then go home. And pray that somebody like Reverend Beasley will come and talk to you and give you some instructions on what a protest should look like, and how you effect change in America.

This police chief [Atlanta police chief Erika Shields] made a video yesterday — pull it up on YouTube — where she said she was appalled to watch the murder of George Floyd. This woman did that.

You’re not honoring a legacy of Martin Luther King Jr. and the civil rights movement. You are not protesting anything running out with brown liquor in your hands, breaking windows in this city. T.I., Killer Mike owned half the West side, so when you burn down this city, you’re burning down our community.

If you want change in America, go and register to vote. Show up at the polls on June 9th. Do it in November. That is the change we need in this country.

You are disgracing our city, you are disgracing the life of George Floyd and every other person who has been killed in this country. We are better than this. We are better than this as a city, we are better than this as a country. Go home. Go home.

In the same way I can’t protect my son yesterday, I cannot protect you out in those streets. You are throwing knives at our police officers, you are burning cars. You have defaced the CNN building. Ted Turner started CNN in Atlanta 40 years ago because he believed in who we are as a city. There was a black reporter who was arrested on camera this morning, who works for CNN. They are telling our stories. And you are disgracing their building.

This is not the legacy of civil rights in America. This is chaos, and we are buying into it. This won’t change anything, we are no longer talking about the murder of an innocent man. We are talking about how you are burning police cars on the streets of Atlanta, Georgia.

Go home.
    I think this is the right position. What the officers did is outrageous, but the ensuing chaos isn't acceptable.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

In both cases African-American lives are threatened by actions of the state. Coronavirus and cops are both viruses killing black Americans. When is it okay to act in self-defense? When white people deem it acceptable.

Kumbaya
    There were protests in Cincinnati. They were peaceful for the most part. But in the last couple of hours they protesters started breaking windows. They looted beer and booze from a store, they looted a woman's clothing store, the looted a sports clothing store. How is stealing a case of Bud Light and Joe Burrow Jersey an act of Self Defense?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Several years ago, I worked at a facility for troubled youth. We were trained on how to safely restrain a boy or girl, but we were also instructed to immediately release the restraint if we had ANY indication that the child's life was in danger. Of course that doesn't guarantee anything, as there was a case of a child dying while under a restraint about a year before I started working there, and there was a child who broke his nose under a restraint during my tenure there. I was not the one who restrained him, but I did sit with the kid in the infirmary while he waited for the nurse to give him his medication.

My point is that the employee in the first case was fired and the employee in the second case was investigated until it was found that boy slammed his head into the floor while trying to break the restraint and that's how he broke his nose. Now if we could have regulations like that regarding kids who have already been sentenced to a detention facility, shouldn't we expect police officers to have to obey similar regulations when there is still question as to the suspect's guilt?
    Sure, if they’re white.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    That is my concern as well. Protests took place here in Philadelphia today, and, just like everywhere else, chaos, incited by white scumbags, probably incels who don’t give half a **** about George Floyd erupted. The city was scheduled to have lockdown restrictions eased June 5th, this debacle could set things back. That will drive citizens crazy and, in term, they’ll blame blacks who only wanted to protest peacefully but were suckered into this madness.
    As I guy who has been in dozens of peaceful protests in college I can tell you that a couple over zeolous scumbags (who probably don't give a crap about what we are even protecting) looting for an excuse to act like a bunch of over zeolous scumbags can really ruin things for the people who are simply trying to make their voices heard. Once unlaweful violence errupts, we all get painted as lunatics on the news and our message gets lost. It drove me nuts back then, and it drives me nuts seeing it on TV now.

Especially with a freaking pandemic occuring, when things seemed like they were starting to improve. A lot of local business who were probably praying for some semblence of normally to return will probably be set back weeks if not months. And again, the people blamed will include the peaceful protests who got their message hijacked by a bunch of idiots.

Lol. I sympathize with African-Americans fighting for their lives but they’re also stupid.

If you see that the message now is riots and looting and not the incredible environment of social injustice and state-sanctioned murder then that’s on you and your privilege and no amount of peaceful protesting and kneeling will ever change your mind or the minds of narrow-minded bigots.
    No reason it can't be both.

You can be against corrupt police officers AND be against violent rioters commiting crimes during a pandemic. There's more than enough stupid to go around.

Intermediary

I value black llives over property

its not acceptable for Kaepernick to kneel

its not acceptable for Beyonce to performer her protest at the Super Bowl

its not acceptable for Obama to address systemic racism in Selma

then WHAT THE F IS ACCEPTABLE?

As I guy who has been in dozens of peaceful protests in college I can tell you that a couple over zeolous scumbags (who probably don't give a crap about what we are even protecting) looting for an excuse to act like a bunch of over zeolous scumbags can really ruin things for the people who are simply trying to make their voices heard. Once unlaweful violence errupts, we all get painted as lunatics on the news and our message gets lost. It drove me nuts back then, and it drives me nuts seeing it on TV now.

Especially with a freaking pandemic occuring, when things seemed like they were starting to improve. A lot of local business who were probably praying for some semblence of normally to return will probably be set back weeks if not months. And again, the people blamed will include the peaceful protests who got their message hijacked by a bunch of idiots.
    I dont blame the peaceful protesters. I blame the people white and black who are using this horrible situation for their own gain.And I think the officials of Cincinnati did a good job dealing with things and not making things worse.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMan View Post
    I value black llives over property

its not acceptable for Kaepernick to kneel

its not acceptable for Beyonce to performer her protest at the Super Bowl

its not acceptable for Obama to address systemic racism in Selma

then WHAT THE F IS ACCEPTABLE?
    All of things are acceptable forms of protest. And people who had a problem with it were being petty at best, racist at worst. I didnt agree with with Kapernick for kneeling during the anthem. but he was finding a peaceful way to get his message across in a natinal setting. i could not find fault in that.
    Last edited by babyblob; 05-30-2020 at 05:08 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Intermediary

there are numerous occasions already where the police are making it worse by waving their d***s around

kid maced in Seattle

police seizing water from protesters in Philly