1. #34771
    Incredible Member Xheight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Common sense dictates that they can rather easily care about both.
    umm but that is not common sense at all - protecting yourself first is.
    And if the whole wide world stops singing
    And all the stars go dark
    I'll turn a light on in my soul
    And keep the bluebird in my heart

  2. #34772
    Astonishing Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xheight View Post
    So basically vaccine or no he could well have died from Covid in any case...which is what the Anti-vaxers have been saying about the need for the compromised to think of personal safety not public safety.
    There's nothing logical or on point about the antivax point of view.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

  3. #34773
    Loony Scott Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Running Springs, California
    Posts
    7,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    A POC who has been bullied can still be a bully as we see in his special. At least towards Trans. If it was a one off fine i could go the not a bully thing. but he has been doing it for years.
    Granted. I can see your point.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

  4. #34774
    Extraordinary Member Robotman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Trump sues Jan. 6 committee, National Archives seeking to block handover of documents

    Trump's saying "the committee’s subpoena is invalid because it has no power of investigation. And it says the material should be protected by executive privilege."
    Yep, the actions of an innocent man with nothing to hide.

  5. #34775
    Fighting Injustice on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    WV ...in the Middle of Nowhere !
    Posts
    15,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xheight View Post
    Absolutely not and if worst can cite a routine let me point out that the marginal is in the eye of the beholder at times as the "What is Sodomy?" with Gene Wilder segment should show us about bestiality. or is it okay with consenting sheep? https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ud0mq
    My Norm discussion and this example is ...there is humor some don't see as that. I have a friend who hates South Park. Won't watch the show and believes its horrible mocking Christians etc. So he won't watch the show even as I've tried to convince him to watch for years.

    A lot of things and more humor wise can turn folks off. Its understandable and I can get why Chappelle's humor with trans community can be seen as bullying. (even with Daphne story). He's the type of guy who punches on everything and himself (as the KFC deal details). So I can understand anger at his material here.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.

    September 2021 was a hard month. 1st Norm McDonald died and then we learned Disney is ruining Indiana Jones in 2022. Just a hard month to take. Hopefully the film tanks.

  6. #34776
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    8,839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    So I just watched Chapelle on Netflix. Was he wrong in some of what he said? Sure. Did some of the jokes land flat, yep. Can he be criticized, yes. But I also think he said some things that are worth being in the conversation. Not what he said about Trans people. But how we react to comedians.
    I probably need think about this more.
    This is exactly what I said in the minorities thread. Chapelle a metric ton of stuff in that special.

    I don't agree with the anti-trans stuff but there is some stuff that I do agree with and should be discussed. Flame Monroe (a black trans comedian) pretty much said the same thing..not that one agrees with EVERYTHING he's saying just that there are some things that are worth discussing.

    The anti-trans stuff is just bullshit though.

    EDIT: My POV is slightly skewed because I'm a POC. Just want to point that out because the lack of intersectionalism in some of these debates (which is something Chapelle has always harped on) is a big talking point in minority communities.
    Last edited by Username taken; 10-18-2021 at 05:06 PM.

  7. #34777
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    8,839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Satire should ridicule corrupt power. But it can also be used simply to point out absurdities in society. For instance, I think it's absurd how many rap artists refer to themselves in the third person in their songs. Would it be wrong to do a satirical rap pointing out that bit of absurdity?
    I think this is where Chapelle goes out of line.

    Regardless of what one feels, it's not fair to ridicule the trans community the way he does.

    It's unnecessary and mean spirited.

  8. #34778
    Incredible Member Xheight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    There's nothing logical or on point about the antivax point of view.
    there is no unified antivax pov so you are off base - some are against it out of paranoia, some are vax sceptics, some have pre-existing conditions and others already had the infection, some simply believe that choice is as important as life and death.
    It is a disconnected as the Public good vs private safety arguments for logic.
    And if the whole wide world stops singing
    And all the stars go dark
    I'll turn a light on in my soul
    And keep the bluebird in my heart

  9. #34779
    Ultimate Member Malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Freeville, NY
    Posts
    10,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I think this is where Chapelle goes out of line.

    Regardless of what one feels, it's not fair to ridicule the trans community the way he does.

    It's unnecessary and mean spirited.
    Are you saying that there is a fair way to ridicule the trans community? Understand, I'm not accusing you of anything, just playing devil's advocate.
    Watching television is not an activity.

  10. #34780
    Ultimate Member Gray Lensman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    12,886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    My Norm discussion and this example is ...there is humor some don't see as that. I have a friend who hates South Park. Won't watch the show and believes its horrible mocking Christians etc. So he won't watch the show even as I've tried to convince him to watch for years.

    A lot of things and more humor wise can turn folks off. Its understandable and I can get why Chappelle's humor with trans community can be seen as bullying. (even with Daphne story). He's the type of guy who punches on everything and himself (as the KFC deal details). So I can understand anger at his material here.
    I have friend who is the same way for the mocking of Catholics, even after pointing out that the show has mocked Jews, Protestants, Mormons, even Atheists - for her going after the Catholics was too far. Another took Kyle's line from one of the first episodes to heart - talking poo was where he drew the line.
    Dark does not mean deep.

  11. #34781
    Incredible Member Xheight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Yep, the actions of an innocent man with nothing to hide.
    begging for a whataboutism but Fast and Furious documents by Obama tell me that all Presidents are about junk they don't want people to read over their morning coffee.
    And if the whole wide world stops singing
    And all the stars go dark
    I'll turn a light on in my soul
    And keep the bluebird in my heart

  12. #34782
    Incredible Member Xheight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Are you saying that there is a fair way to ridicule the trans community? Understand, I'm not accusing you of anything, just playing devil's advocate.
    The line between marginal and deviant is one that keeps moving and that really is the devil's argument for absolute relativism.
    And if the whole wide world stops singing
    And all the stars go dark
    I'll turn a light on in my soul
    And keep the bluebird in my heart

  13. #34783
    Extraordinary Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    5,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I have friend who is the same way for the mocking of Catholics, even after pointing out that the show has mocked Jews, Protestants, Mormons, even Atheists - for her going after the Catholics was too far. Another took Kyle's line from one of the first episodes to heart - talking poo was where he drew the line.
    My friend Jay watches a bit of South Park. He laughs at a lot of the episodes. But man does he get mad at the ones with Token and how they treat black people. I legit was confused by this. I said how is that any different then when Cartman makes fun of Jews, or when they blast on priests, or the guy that runs City Wok. He just told me I am not black so I would not understand at all. I didnt argue I just let it go. I like him and dont want to ruin a 6 year friendship over a debate. Besides he has like 5000 comic books that he shares so I have to stay on his good side

    People have odd lines on what is okay. The girl I am seeing Kaye is Polish. She laughs and cracks jokes on her Polish side, all the Polish are dumb, we have all heard them, she loves them. but she is also short and man will she go off on being mocked or any one being mocked for being short. I kind of have to fight the urge to call her short because when she gets mad she lets loose with all of these Polish cuss words and that amuses me.

    Even I have my lines as to what is okay. My dad and I crack jokes on me being gay/bi, crazy and a tad over weight. But I really hate prison jokes. So for me that is my personal line.
    Last edited by babyblob; 10-18-2021 at 05:51 PM.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  14. #34784
    Ultimate Member Gray Lensman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    12,886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    My friend Jay watches a bit of South Park. He laughs at a lot of the episodes. But man does he get mad at the ones with Token and how they treat black people. I legit was confused by this. I said how is that any different then when Cartman makes fun of Jews, or when they blast on priests, or the guy that runs City Wok. He just told me I am not black so I would not understand at all. I didnt argue I just let it go. I like him and dont want to ruin a 6 year friendship over a debate. Besides he has like 5000 comic books that he shares so I have to stay on his good side
    At the very least it is normally different when you or your group is the target - you tend to feel it more. Plus South Park is the creation of two white guys - they might have inadvertently crossed a line or two without realizing it out of ignorance.
    Dark does not mean deep.

  15. #34785
    Extraordinary Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    5,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    At the very least it is normally different when you or your group is the target - you tend to feel it more. Plus South Park is the creation of two white guys - they might have inadvertently crossed a line or two without realizing it out of ignorance.
    I am not sure how much ignorance is involved. The two of them over the years have talked about how they love to cross the line and how they are aware that they are doing it. They take pride in it.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •