Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I don't think Chapelle would dispute that many transgender individuals are being brutally murdered. I think he would dispute that his words directly lead to those murders.
    If anyone watched the Daphne spot that is on youtube its clear...he was not inciting violence with it. He was discussing a friend.

I haven't seen any other clips from special. But as I posted Chappelle is getting support from her family and as I brought up a few days ago Flame Monroe took up for him on CNN.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

I don't think Chapelle would dispute that many transgender individuals are being brutally murdered. I think he would dispute that his words directly lead to those murders.
    Yes, I'm sure dehumanizing transgender people and calling them 'men wearing womenface' to an audience of millions will in no way contribute to the misery, and deaths by suicide and murder of transgender individuals. If a white person similarly characterized black people to the way Chapelle was characterizing white people, he'd be appropriately up in arms, but since it's transgender individuals, whom society still sees as 'weird, icky and gross' while remaining highly preoccupied with their genitals and which bathroom they use, its TOTALLY different.

Chapelle is a bigot. He is a bigot towards transgender people. He mischaracterizes them, focuses on what makes them different, mocks them, and strips them of their dignity in front of millions. This helps contribute to on-going misery. Dude can eff himself.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    If anyone watched the Daphne spot that is on youtube its clear...he was not inciting violence with it. He was discussing a friend.

I haven't seen any other clips from special. But as I posted Chappelle is getting support from her family and as I brought up a few days ago Flame Monroe took up for him on CNN.
    I'm sure that they are. There are plenty of obvious bigots who've had support from people to whom they've been kind on an individual level. My dad's best friend of twenty years was a black guy. My dad has made outrageously bigoted statements against black people. These things are not unique.

Chapelle is still a bigot who just took a massive pay day to get the last word in on transgender people with a platform of millions of people for whom his words will be influential. Given the risks to LGBTQ people of color, a group whom he gladly erased when he was talking about white LGBT people 'punching down' at black homophobes, I don't really find this to be positive. Weird nerds need to stop diving in front of the criticism to protect him. He doesn't deserve it here.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 10-21-2021 at 11:23 PM.

One time, someone asked Chris Rock about folks who were involved in Chris Farley's career and their responsibility as far as Farley's eventual passing.

He said something along the lines of "If Chris has been out of rehab or not using for a week and you put him to work, you are an accessory the same as if you had been involved in a crime..."

Same goes here.

You cannot contribute to the overall climate, and then try to say that you have played no role in creating the climate that those murders are taking place in.

You don't have to incite violence that is already taking place.

You need to ask yourself what role you play in creating a climate where that violence is perfectly acceptable.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Not to imagine the party of delusion.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I'm sure that they are. There are plenty of obvious bigots who've had support from people to whom they've been kind on an individual level. My dad's best friend of twenty years was a black guy. My dad has made outrageously bigoted statements against black people. These things are not unique.

Chapelle is still a bigot who just took a massive pay day to get the last word in on transgender people with a platform of millions of people for whom his words will be influential. Given the risks to LGBTQ people of color, a group whom he gladly erased when he was talking about white LGBT people 'punching down' at black homophobes, I don't really find this to be positive. Weird nerds need to stop diving in front of the criticism to protect him. He doesn't deserve it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    You don't have to incite violence that is already taking place.

You need to ask yourself what role you play in creating a climate where that violence is perfectly acceptable.
    If we look at the last half decade there is a rise in hate crimes towards Jewish Community . Last year Asian hate crimes increased by over 150% by one article I saw. Given Chappelle's brand of hitting there too...is he causing a problem there ? Because as Flame Monroe pointed out he made jokes there as well as she spoke to CNN.

Its the...how much power do we give a stand up comedian with real world violence on their jokes they tell ? Good or bad ?

In all I have seen one person thus far defend special in thread thus far. Beyond Daphne clip I haven't seen any of the new one to really judge. A lot of older stuff is on Youtube.

Now as far as comedy goes...I have long missed the old days of stand up. Carlin doing a set on religion , Williams being zany , Pryor pushing the edge etc.

I've likely got a record of locked threads at CBR for pushing the edge stuff for laughs. So yes as I posted way back I can see that is something Chappelle has done for 20+ years on his show and off etc.

I remember people yelled Andrew Dice Clay was a misogynist back when he rose in fame. Dice wasn't...he just played that Diceman character as a male pig type. But it didn't stop women's groups or Nora Dunn from SNL refusing to do the show.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Extraordinary Member

More news, albeit horrible news, there's been another "The Crow" incident, this time evidently with poor Alec Baldwin accidentally killing his director of photography, a 42 year old woman with a prop gun that obviously wasn't completely unloaded, much like the gun that killed Brandon Lee.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59005500

The only silver lining from the Brandon Lee "The Crow" shooting and death was the thought that at least that particular way of dying on a movie set would never happen again. So much for that, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    More news, albeit horrible news, there's been another "The Crow" incident, this time evidently with poor Alec Baldwin accidentally killing his director of photography, a 42 year old woman with a prop gun that obviously wasn't completely unloaded, much like the gun that killed Brandon Lee.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59005500

The only silver lining from the Brandon Lee "The Crow" shooting and death was the thought that at least that particular way of dying on a movie set would never happen again. So much for that, I suppose.
    Hollywood really needs to look at how they make/modify prop guns - one would think that something loaded with blanks (and in some cases incapable of firing anything else) shouldn't be able to injure anyone, much less actually kill them.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Hollywood really needs to look at how they make/modify prop guns - one would think that something loaded with blanks (and in some cases incapable of firing anything else) shouldn't be able to injure anyone, much less actually kill them.
    Well. they are clearly doing something wrong. I can't imagine how it must feel to be the one who fired the gun, I'd be...in a very bad way if it was me. Needless to say, the Lee family is reliving their horror with this one, and is very upset. Condolences to the woman's family and friends.

It IS worse, though, the director was also wounded. How did Baldwin shoot two people? Regardless, he's in for a lot of trouble in the coming weeks. As producer, and the one who apparently fired the gun, he bears some responsibility. So did the wounded director IMO.

https://www.dw.com/en/alec-baldwin-s...say/a-59584199
    Last edited by achilles; 10-22-2021 at 03:28 AM.

If we look at the last half decade there is a rise in hate crimes towards Jewish Community . Last year Asian hate crimes increased by over 150% by one article I saw. Given Chappelle's brand of hitting there too...is he causing a problem there ? Because as Flame Monroe pointed out he made jokes there as well as she spoke to CNN.
    Did he makes jokes that erased their identities and suggested that they're fake? Did he make jokes that *specifically aligned himself* with the nazis who are targetting them? Because, frankly, that's what he did with and to transgender individuals here. You keep missing this point: he *specifically aligned himself* with people who think that transgender individuals are *fake women* and *sexual predators* cosplaying women to *assault women*. That's what TERFism alleges.

When you get up on a stage in front of millions of people and say those things, then yes, you're contributing to transphobia. It'd be like a white guy getting on stage and declaring himself aligned with people who declare black people are more likely to commit a rape and that he thinks they have a point in some of their criticism of black people.

Imagine yourself in the shoes of a transgender person who doesn't know how nice Chapelle might be to them personally and just knows that Chapelle got on stage and said, "hey I'm team terf because they tried to cancel JK Rowling!'. Rowling, who has written fiction where a guy in a dress tries to murder women. Rowling, who has continually written anti-trans screeds. Nobody forced Chapelle to say that. It's hardly even close to 'edgy'. It's just a bigot who sees 'trans' as something that isn't an identity the way his being black is, and I'm sorry, I'm not going to give him a pass for that because he's a comedian or a nice guy to a few trans associates in his personal life.

It is the nature of comedy to not age well. People need to accept this.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 10-22-2021 at 03:35 AM.

Extraordinary Member

A good roundup of prop gun shootings:

http://propguys.com/gundanger/

Did he makes jokes that erased their identities and suggested that they're fake? Did he make jokes that *specifically aligned himself* with the nazis who are targetting them? Because, frankly, that's what he did with and to transgender individuals here. You keep missing this point: he *specifically aligned himself* with people who think that transgender individuals are *fake women* and *sexual predators* cosplaying women to *assault women*. That's what TERFism alleges.

When you get up on a stage in front of millions of people and say those things, then yes, you're contributing to transphobia. It'd be like a white guy getting on stage and declaring himself aligned with people who declare black people are more likely to commit a rape and that he thinks they have a point in some of their criticism of black people.

Imagine yourself in the shoes of a transgender person who doesn't know how nice Chapelle might be to them personally and just knows that Chapelle got on stage and said, "hey I'm team terf because they tried to cancel JK Rowling!'. Rowling, who has written fiction where a guy in a dress tries to murder women. Rowling, who has continually written anti-trans screeds. Nobody forced Chapelle to say that. It's hardly even close to 'edgy'. It's just a bigot who sees 'trans' as something that isn't an identity the way his being black is, and I'm sorry, I'm not going to give him a pass for that because he's a comedian or a nice guy to a few trans associates in his personal life.

It is the nature of comedy to not age well. People need to accept this.

I'd say his Asian jokes and Jewish ones are different in a sense on what to hit on and as I posted a lady was offended by them. And this was at height of his big popularity. I'll detail the punchline here.

Dave sees her with her husband it appears. The guy tells Dave he's Mexican and the wife is Chinese and pregnant with their child.

"Congratulations to you both on your child. .....Your child will become the hardest working child ever made." (i believe that is the line)

Woman stands up angry making her husband leave..."Dave Chappelle I'll never buy another of your f-cking DVDs."

"Ma'am ...your Chinese. We know you don't buy DVD's...."

Now I don't know the extent of Dave's other material or what set this in motion to start as he didn't say. But there would be different things to set people off. As I posted way back there are things that will set people off in terms of what is acceptable. Do I think Dave is a bigot ? He could be but he also could be doing a Diceman act to stir **** up and create controversy with his act. Which he seems to do.

As an example that no one has mentioned...Dave in one special discusses Michael Jackson and how he believes at 1st he's innocent. The material said there I can't post here. But he goes into detail there and well...its basically extreme. It would be like saying he supports that and well...its clear he's doing it to stir crap up.

Hell a TMZ reporter a few years ago on one thing Dave said about Kevin Spacey in a joke had him come to Norm MacDonald. Who clearly wasn't well then (no one knew sadly) and the reporter wants a negative sound bite. Instead Norm smiles and goes...'Dave Chappelle is the greatest comedian..."

Again until I see the full special I really can't say much. Just the Daphne story is the only thing I have seen. I plan to get my Netflix on in a week or 2 for Squid Game.

]

Again until I see the full special I really can't say much. Just the Daphne story is the only thing I have seen. I plan to get my Netflix on in a week or 2 for Squid Game.
    Whether or not he was personally nice to Daphne and she defended him doesn't mean that he isn't transphobic in his humor. Please remember that.

'you don't buy DVDs' is a *far cry from* what was said in the Closer.

Whether or not he was personally nice to Daphne and she defended him doesn't mean that he isn't transphobic in his humor. Please remember that.

'you don't buy DVDs' is a *far cry from* what was said in the Closer.
    Well no idea what exactly his material he said here did to make the lady mad. But it had to be something. Dave claims he saw her looking at him angry that started the exchange.