Extraordinary Member

Btw Trump is now on pace to have the best non white percentage of the vote since the 60’s.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I really don't foresee Georgia or NC swinging to Biden. He needs to hold on to Nevada or swing Pennsylvania. That's his path. He'll win Wisconsin and Michigan I believe. But Nevada is murkier.
    He's already won Wisconsin. Michigan is in the bag.

He just needs to maintain his lead in Nevada and that's it. Granted it's not over but Biden is pretty much the front runner.

He doesn't need NC or Georgia.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Fact is he lost. Lost badly. He didn't put the left over even against a candidate as terrible as Mid-life Draco Malfoy.

And that meant that the Labour's great plans and ideas, which are indeed excellent, will never take fruition.

Right now, I like the SNP, they have a good leader under Nicola Sturgeon and I hope well for Scotland, come what may. The Labour Party doesn't have good politicians. Say what you want about the Dems, but Biden is better than this Starmer character, and Sanders is better than Corbyn as politicians.
    I feel obliged to say Starmer isn't actually bad, and Corbyn also had to deal with alleged ties to the IRA. At the very least, he's a good man to rebuild the party's reputation.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Fact is he lost. Lost badly. He didn't put the left over even against a candidate as terrible as Mid-life Draco Malfoy.

And that meant that the Labour's great plans and ideas, which are indeed excellent, will never take fruition.

Right now, I like the SNP, they have a good leader under Nicola Sturgeon and I hope well for Scotland, come what may. The Labour Party doesn't have good politicians. Say what you want about the Dems, but Biden is better than this Starmer character, and Sanders is better than Corbyn as politicians.
    The outcome does not equal the reason given. Corbyn lost off a specific issue that everyone knew would be a problem for his party. It would be like if the Paris accords were the premier issue everyone talked about in this elections but then Democrats in blue counties in the Midwest and Arizona all were very much against them but Biden had no choice but to run on them because he wouldn’t get the nom. That’s basically what happened.

Brexit’s ranked many a political career

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

He just needs to maintain his lead in Nevada and that's it. Granted it's not over but Biden is pretty much the front runner.

Agreed but my point was that if Biden loses Nevada, which is again a remote possibility, then his path at that point is to swing PA. While I know GA and NC are in play still, I don't see him winning either of those two.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    The outcome does not equal the reason given. Corbyn lost off a specific issue that everyone knew would be a problem for his party. It would be like if the Paris accords were the premier issue everyone talked about in this elections but then Democrats in blue counties in the Midwest and Arizona all were very much against them but Biden had no choice but to run on them because he wouldn’t get the nom. That’s basically what happened.

The antisemitism allegations didn't help.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChangingStation View Post
    The antisemitism allegations didn't help.
    Well that too. Bernie wouldn’t have to deal with that

Mighty Member

Btw Trump is now on pace to have the best non white percentage of the vote since the 60’s.
    Not surprised. The economy was booming under him before COVID, so he was winning the bread and butter vote.

It wouldn't be sustainable in the long run though, pushing down interest rates to overheat the economy, just means there will be more debt and a harder landing during the next recession.

That being said I think he would have won if COVID hadn't have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

Damn. That's plausible. Not gonna say definite of course but at least plausible. Last night it was super close with Trump looking the front runner. This morning its super close with Biden looking the front runner. What a race.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

It did.

But the irony of it is that Sir Keir’s (Starmer) line on Brexit did profound damage to Labour in last election. He actually led on Brexit for Labour rather than Jeremy Corbyn.

I won’t go into detail but Sir Keir tried to appeal to both sides (i.e. Those who wanted to stay in EU as well as those that wanted to come out)..it was seen as profoundly dishonest by many people, especially in the many Labour constituencies that wanted out of the EU...he effectively lost the North.

I had to rub my eyes in disbelief when he became Labour leader...although he is a skilled debater, and was probably best choice on grounds of ability. I certainly believe he is out-performing Boris (maybe not difficult)...but ever since SNP took over Scotland Labour have been in a profoundly difficult position.

What I find funny is how for months Republicans have been bitching that mail in voting was not safe and that they were not going to do it. Trump told people not to do it. Now they are bitching that so few mail in votes are showing up for Trump and that is a sure sign of fraud.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    What I find funny is how for months Republicans have been bitching that mail in voting was not safe and that they were not going to do it. Trump told people not to do it. Now they are bitching that so few mail in votes are showing up for Trump and that is a sure sign of fraud.
    Back in 2017 Trump bitched over not winning the popular vote while sitting in the Oval Office of the White House as President.

Trump's 4 modes, Bitching, Whining, Lying, and Bragging.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

BANNED

The outcome does not equal the reason given. Corbyn lost off a specific issue that everyone knew would be a problem for his party.
    Brexit happened on his watch. He was party leader when the referendum vote happened. So this wasn't something he inherited or was forever doomed to flail against. If he had come up with a decent strategy...which again I am just an armchair dude, not my job to come up with plans since y'know I've never been elected leader of a major pols. party....but even if I can't propose what Corbyn could have done I can hold him or judge him for not coming up with something.

Well that too. Bernie wouldn’t have to deal with that
    Bernie is truly popular, maybe not overwhelmingly among the base but he's liked more than he's disliked which wasn't the case with Corbyn. But again the risk of a Corbyn style defeat with Sanders is supremely high and without a true coalition behind him in office and so on, he can get more done pushing things from the sidelines and from the Senate than as a party leader and major candidate.

The left isn't in any position to protect anyone from the right in the UK at the moment. If Biden holds on, the American left will be able to protect people from the GOP.

The first responsibility of any left-wing political party is to protect its constituents from the right. If it can't do that, they can't do anything else.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 11-04-2020 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Unfortunately for me, moving to another country during a pandemic isn’t an option.. but I’m not interested in ‘Murica anymore. not at all. Too many people steeply invested in anti-intellectual outlooks and conclusions and willing to essentially go maskless in the midst of mass death by virus, because their nationalist fuhrer says it's all just no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Unfortunately for me, moving to another country during a pandemic isn’t an option.. but I’m not interested in ‘Murica anymore. not at all. Too many people steeply invested in anti-intellectual outlooks and conclusions and willing to essentially go maskless in the midst of mass death by virus, because their nationalist fuhrer says it's all just no big deal.
    That is what has me nervous about everyone saying Biden will do better on the virus. I mean people expect the cases to drop a good deal and for the virus to be greatly diminished after he takes office. Yes he will most likely do a mask mandate. Yes he will listen to the experts in a way that Trump did not. But that wont mean anything unless people go along with what he says. The Trumper anti maskers are not going to all the sudden put on a mask and socially distance because Biden tells them to. in fact because it is coming from Biden the man who beat their god they will be more inclined to not listen. So this virus will really not go anywhere for awhile no matter who is president.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.