Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Oh, sure, it's not like that wouldn't be a waste of time, energy or resources. That sounds like an easy fix. Interesting that you think a warning label on a gun would do more good than closing the gun show loophole or universal background checks. Something supported by 84% of voters, INCLUDING 77% of Republicans.
    https://morningconsult.com/2021/03/1...hecks-polling/

But I guess doing nothing has worked so far. The problem Mets is that YOUR PARTY LIES about what actions the Democrats actually want to do. What is effective is scaring those voters with outright falsehoods. So what if it results in bore dead bodies.
    I wasn't really talking about warning labels, but maybe some kind of waiver to acknowledge an awareness of risk.

Generally, the regulations proposed by Democrats would not make a difference with gun homicide or gun death rates. Voters who favor gun rights are aware of this, which is why they don't think Democrats will stop with closing the gun show loophole or having universal background checks. Yglesias pointed out in his article.

The United Kingdom has drastically fewer gun assaults than we do and that has a lot of benefits. Not only are innocent lives saved, but it allows their police to operate largely unarmed which would greatly ameliorate a tangled nexus of American social problems around racism and police use of force. But the UK didn’t get there with really rigorous background checks, it got there by making civilian ownership of guns mostly illegal.

What’s more: Gun enthusiasts are aware of this. So when progressives talk about the tragedy of gun deaths in America, it doesn’t matter if their actual proposal is a very mild tweak to background checks. When you define “the problem” as gun deaths, you are pushing toward a drastic solution that gun hobbyists don’t want, and they are highly motivated to vote against you.
    Perhaps there's a way to make it clear that Democrats have no plans to go further, and that anyone in the party who hints otherwise will be treated with the disdain currently reserved for Kyrsten Sinema.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Pennsylvania US Senate candidate Fetterman suffers stroke but says he's 'well on my way to a full recovery'

(CNN)John Fetterman, Pennsylvania lieutenant governor and Democratic US Senate candidate, announced Sunday that he had a stroke and went to the hospital on Friday, but said in a statement, "I'm feeling much better, and the doctors tell me I didn't suffer any cognitive damage. I'm well on my way to a full recovery."

Pennsylvania's primary is on Tuesday, and Fetterman is the favorite to win the Democratic Senate contest, with polls showing him holding a significant lead over Rep. Conor Lamb and state Rep. Malcolm Kenyatta.

"I had a stroke that was caused by a clot from my heart being in an A-fib rhythm for too long," he said in the statement.

Fetterman said he is continuing on in the race.

"Our campaign isn't slowing down one bit, and we are still on track to win this primary on Tuesday, and flip this Senate seat in November," he said.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I
    Perhaps there's a way to make it clear that Democrats have no plans to go further, and that anyone in the party who hints otherwise will be treated with the disdain currently reserved for Kyrsten Sinema.
    Because advocating for stronger gun laws is EXACTLY the same as being a roadblock to the entire Democratic agenda. Jeezus Mets, do you read back what you write?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

He's got young kids so I'm glad he's okay.

Because advocating for stronger gun laws is EXACTLY the same as being a roadblock to the entire Democratic agenda. Jeezus Mets, do you read back what you write?
    You made the argument that all Democrats want to do is close the gun show loophole and implement universal background checks, and that to suggest otherwise is an outright falsehood.

If that's true, statements to the effect wouldn't be a big ask.

Instead, the party is more pissed off at a Democrat who agrees with swing voters than they are with Democrats who would disagree with swing voters, which represents a problem when trying to get the votes of swing voters.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I’m not a fan of Fetterman, but I hope he’ll make a full recovery.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    He's got young kids so I'm glad he's okay.

You made the argument that all Democrats want to do is close the gun show loophole and implement universal background checks, and that to suggest otherwise is an outright falsehood.

If that's true, statements to the effect wouldn't be a big ask.

Instead, the party is more pissed off at a Democrat who agrees with swing voters than they are with Democrats who would disagree with swing voters, which represents a problem when trying to get the votes of swing voters.
    If you think all Simena has done is agree with swing voters, you aren't paying attention. Emermber when she stop an minimum wage increase? https://www.nelp.org/news-releases/n...good-everyone/
    Between January 22 and February 1, 2021, in a poll commissioned by NELP, Hart & Associates polled 2020 general election voters in the nation’s 67 most competitive Congressional districts. Fully 62% of those polled, including 59% in the districts won by Republicans, favored raising the federal minimum wage to $15 by 2025. These results reinforce the success of the Black-and-brown-worker-led Fight for $15 movement and the desperate need for at least a $15 minimum wage across the country, while demonstrating that this is a bi-partisan issue and one on which Congress should take immediate action. The voters’ agreement with raising wages also mirrors the November results in Florida, when 61% of voters approved a constitutional amendment to gradually raise the state’s minimum wage to $15 by 2025.
    You are either not aware of what she is doing, or you are gaslighting.

No, I did not say that is all they want to do. Other things some Democrats advocate for are an assault weapon ban, a limit to magazine size, a ban on ghost guns. And other measures that would help in some ways. Would any end gun violence? No, but stopping some gun deaths would be positive. As opposed to what the GOP advocates, ZERO restrictions on guns in any way shape or form. A policy which you seemed to endorse.

Tell me, what laws did Obama propose when the GOP ran on the "Obama is going to confiscate all your guns" ticket? Or do you want to acknowledge that your Party lies about this?

And let's talk about the Matt Yglesias OPINION piece you linked. Should we take that as the absolute, undisputed final word on this? Could other people differ with Matt on gun control?

https://twitter.com/TedAlcorn/status...83760447201281

You have a habit of posting an article, usually an op-ed, and then acting as if we all must accept it totally without prejudice as the basis for any further discussion.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 05-15-2022 at 02:49 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher;6049443/
    I’m not a fan of Fetterman, but I hope he’ll make a full recovery.

Well I used to live in Philly . But now live across the river in South Jersey . I think that Fetterman is leading the polls on the Democratic side . Well I don't have a personal choice, but I really hope that a Democrat can win the Senate seat in Pa. But this isn't good if Fetterman winds up running against the GOP/MAGA candidate. They will use this against him . They're not beyond doing something like that.

If you think all Simena has done is agree with swing voters, you aren't paying attention. Emermber when she stop an minimum wage increase? https://www.nelp.org/news-releases/n...good-everyone/

You are either not aware of what she is doing, or you are gaslighting.

No, I did not say that is all they want to do. Other things some Democrats advocate for are an assault weapon ban, a limit to magazine size, a ban on ghost guns. And other measures that would help in some ways. Would any end gun violence? No, but stopping some gun deaths would be positive. As opposed to what the GOP advocates, ZERO restrictions on guns in any way shape or form. A policy which you seemed to endorse.

Tell me, what laws did Obama propose when the GOP ran on the "Obama is going to confiscate all your guns" ticket? Or do you want to acknowledge that your Party lies about this?

And let's talk about the Matt Yglesias OPINION piece you linked. Should we take that as the absolute, undisputed final word on this? Could other people differ with Matt on gun control?

https://twitter.com/TedAlcorn/status...83760447201281

You have a habit of posting an article, usually an op-ed, and then acting as if we all must accept it totally without prejudice as the basis for any further discussion.
    I don't think the opposition to Sinema is mainly because some of her centrist positions aren't populist.

Ted Alcorn's argument is that gun control is a winning issue for Democrats. It doesn't really address Yglesias' point that gun enthusiasts will correctly identify current policy proposals as too weak, and thus conclude that Democrats who want to make a meaningful reduction in gun homicides will want to go further than they're currently willing to admit. He thinks other voters will make up for the gun enthusiasts.

As for what gun enthusiasts should believe about what Democrats would do if they had more members of Congress, laws proposed by Obama in a different political era aren't evidence that current Democrats wouldn't go further. Obama was a smart politician who didn't tell people what he really believed.

He ran for President as an opponent of gay marriage. He didn't mention his view that reparations are justified until after Biden won the White House.

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...are-justified/

There is a general trend of the Democratic party moving way to the left, so positions that were anathema recently are widespread.

The Democratic party has moved leftward in big ways, and polls demonstrate this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/18/o...left-turn.html

Incidentally, I think we can be in agreement that the center of the Democratic party is to the left of where it's ever been. The question is whether this is a good thing.

You've got a fair point that there are other potential gun restrictions that would have broad support, especially when it comes to new technology. The advent of 3D printers has implications on the availability of firearms. Democrats could still establish a principle that they'll support modest restrictions, including responses to new technology, but that this is as far as they'll go and no further. They don't want to do that, and it seems that you don't want them to do that. Voters who are interested in the issue will pick up on that.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I still say we should regulate guns the same way we regulate cars. Each gun has to be registered and inspected for safety on a regular basis. And anyone with a history of criminal violence never gets a gun license.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Russian state TV on Finland/Sweden wanting to join Nato:“Their official reason is fear. But they’ll have more fear in Nato. When Nato bases appear in Sweden & Finland, Russia will have no choice but to neutralise the imbalance & new threat by deploying tactical nuclear weapons.”
    Twitter Link

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I still say we should regulate guns the same way we regulate cars. Each gun has to be registered and inspected for safety on a regular basis. And anyone with a history of criminal violence never gets a gun license.
    I bet you anything that if cars were around in the 1700's and an amendment was written for them with the same vague wording as the 2nd amendment, we'd have a country with no speed limits, no traffic lights, no stop signs, no drivers licenses, no regulations over emissions....nothing

There would be comparisons between riding a horse and driving a car, with right wing drivers demanding the right to do whatever they wanted, even if it meant getting people killed.

Ultimate Member

https://www.yahoo.com/news/republica...203432197.html

Republicans Must Answer for ‘Great Replacement Theory’ Violence :nod: :nod: :nod:

Republicans and the conservative media ecosystem have to answer for the blood on their hands.

Either through innuendo or direct statements, they continue to promote the white supremacist “great replacement theory” which has yet again radicalized a terrorist to commit violence against people of color. And they should be held accountable for their role in it.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...174813169.html

Prior to the shooting, he had posted a 180-page manifesto in which he laid out his rationale clearly: He was an adherent of what is called Great Replacement Theory, the idea that white people, in the United States and white-majority countries around the world, are being systematically, deliberately outbred and “replaced” by immigrants and ethnic minorities, in a deliberate attempt to rid the world of whiteness.
    If this seems familiar Great Replacement Theory-we have seen variants of it in comics and movies lead ironically by the same group.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

In addition to that, when a gun is lost or stolen, the owner is required to inform the police. I’ve always believed that’s a commonsense regulation.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I've said the same since forever and I've yet to see an argument against it other than, "bUt mY FrEeDuMs!" or "tHe cOnStItUtIoN!" and neither are convincing in the least.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!