Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    How can the Conservatives be still the party of law when his champion has so little respect for the institutions of his country?
    Simple and obvious answer: because they don't see it that way.
    Power with Girl is better.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    In some ways the whole delay in getting the final tallies is Trump's fault. If it weren't for that fact that COVID cases have been spiking again, there would be more people willing to vote in person. I had no problem since Indiana as a very liberal window of a couple of weeks of early voting. This should be the norm everywhere
    Yeah, the big thing about voting this year is how many people COVID victims, COVID infectees weren't able to vote early, mail, election day.

And obviously some of the people who voted on ED will get the virus and will have to quarantine. They might even die after they vote...making "Vote or Die" an actual thing.

Election workers and poll-workers the ones who count the ballots are at risk of getting the virus either from droplets in the ballots or from protestors and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    . And honestly, I don't understand why it's always conservatives that get their panties in a bunch about this, the other side doesn't irrationally hate you because of who you are, we just think your ideas are harmful and that we as a society would be better off if we didn't listen to you. If anything, American liberals are TOO tolerant of conservatives, if you really wanna go find common ground, go talk to some Mexican immigrants or Muslim refugees and try to see things from their point of view for once.

I agree with the ManinBlack on disagreeing with this. I posted a few pages back and a couple other times on this thread about the hate I have received because I voted Trump in 2016. I was called names, threatened, and intimidated in several Democrat events that I have been too. On stands out that I posted about before. it was like a meeting of Democrats who were having like an idea session kind of like an open hose. When I revealed that I was a person who voted for Trumo in 2016 I was booed, my ideas were discounted and I was eventually asked to leave. Even after i said I was not voting Trump in 2020. And my story is not an isolated incident. I know several former Republicans I talk to in Ohio and Kentucky who this has happened to. I made a post asking how the Dems can win people over when this kind of thing happens.

I wanted to add an edit. This kind of thing has not happened on here and I thank you all for that. it has been very civil. A lot of people on here have answered my questions and pointed out things I was wrong on but have been very polite.
    Last edited by babyblob; 11-05-2020 at 03:22 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    from droplets in the ballots
    Haven't they pretty much said the surfaces thing isn't super risky? I thought I read that. I still treat them as if they are, but.

Quote Originally Posted by TheManInBlack View Post
    This, right here, is the issue. Things like self-selecting social media and 'news' organizations form massive bubbles that almost no one can see in or out of.

Facebook is a great example of this: Like or 'love' several things that lean Democrat? It shows you more of it and less of the other stuff, even people on your friends lists. That trend goes on for years and by then you'll only see 99% liberal stuff. Twitter and Instagram do the same thing. You begin to think that the entire world is with you other than those nameless, faceless evil deplorables. Meanwhile the EXACT same thing happens on the other side where Republicans think that their view is normal and anyone outside their bubble is a nameless, faceless, far leftist. CNN and MSNBC are a constant deluge of 'Trump insane and racist, Biden good!' While Fox is a constant deluge of 'Trump good, Biden senile!' Once you're exposed to years of that brainwashing where we believe in the absolute good and evil of each side, it's all over and I don't know how to resolve it. I'm looking forward to the inevitable replies proving my point.
    It is true. At the same time, Trump does play on ignorance to promote himself and fans the flames of racism into worse racism. On the other hand, Biden and Harris are not exactly altruistic.

But another problem is that facts don't matter to a lot of Conservatives. Take into consideration the claim that Ginzburg said it it was okay for adults to have sex with 12 year olds. This was actually a misquote on-line. The actual quote, from court records, is available. Republican response: Fake news. I'll take an anonymous misquote on-line over the actual court record. This is the level Republicans have reached. So maybe I'm proving you right about my reaction because I'm using actual Republicans as my basis.

I'm sure there are also situations where Liberals don't check the facts or reject them. But Conservatism, by it's very nature, has always been prone to reject new information that contradicts past beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I agree with the ManinBlack on disagreeing with this. I posted a few pages back and a couple other times on this thread about the hate I have received because I voted Trump in 2016. I was called names, threatened, and intimidated in several Democrat events that I have been too. On stands out that I posted about before. it was like a meeting of Democrats who were having like an idea session kind of like an open hose. When I revealed that I was a person who voted for Trumo in 2016 I was booed, my ideas were discounted and I was eventually asked to leave. Even after i said I was not voting Trump in 2020. And my story is not an isolated incident. I know several former Republicans I talk to in Ohio and Kentucky who this has happened to. I made a post asking how the Dems can win people over when this kind of thing happens.
    In fairness, I heard something similar to this about the Women's March on Washington. There was a significant group of Conservative women who wanted to join the march. They agreed with the Liberal women on every issue- except abortion. You can say that's a significant issue but, because of that, they were told they were not welcome.

But that's the nation we live in. There was a time that, if you took the Democrat view on 6 out of ten issues, you were a good Democrat. If you took the Republican view on 6 out of ten, you were a good Republican. Now, it better be ten out of ten or you're a pariah either way. You better toe the party line and pay lip service to everything even if you secretly disagree.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I mean seriously. It's 2020 and we're still counting ballots 2 days after the polls closed? Ridiculous!

BANNED

That's unfortunate that this happened, but people aren't obliged to be nice to you and certainly aren't required to allow you to participate in a political gathering. And trying to win over former Trump voters would just be a bad move strategically for the Democrats, most of them are unlikely to ever consider changing their vote and to sway the few that would, the party would have to push their agenda so far to the right that it would piss off the base of loyal Democratic voters, that's just not a trade any sensible person would make.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheManInBlack View Post
    Have a good long, hard look at Critical Race Theory and Post-Modernism and then tell me that the right are the only crazy ones. There are plenty of crazy ideas on the right, but they don't have a monopoly on insanity.

I'm sorry, but that's bologna. I'm a moderate conservative minority, and I can't even begin to tell you about the unbridled hatred, vile death threats, and bigotry I've been assaulted with by the left. I have friends who have been physically assaulted by Antifa simply for going to a rally for Democrats who switched to Trump. The far left goes after people right of center and not only tries to make their lives hell, but they also try to take their jobs away, make them destitute and unable to feed their children. I've seen it happen multiple times to people in real life. I've been terrified to speak about any political ideas I have at work for fear of being ruined, even though my ideas are perfectly moderate and wouldn't have raised an eyebrow 10 years ago. The left is far less tolerant than you are suggesting it is. I don't understand how so many moderate liberals fail to see that the far left does this to people.
    As someone who's watched the GOP slowly burn the country down for the insurance money since the 90s and be rewarded for it every step of the way with more power and more control, forgive me if I've run out compassion for those folks. If there is indeed a radical left, it's been pretty well created by the right.
    Last edited by wjowski; 11-05-2020 at 03:37 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Haven't they pretty much said the surfaces thing isn't super risky? I thought I read that. I still treat them as if they are, but.
    It's less of a risk but it's still a risk. The other thing is that some voters apply hand sanitizer before signing on the ballot but the sanitizer gel falls on to the paper leading to the ballots to jam the machines or smudge the ballot.
    (https://kwwl.com/2020/11/03/hand-san...in-des-moines/)

So that means the only option is for voters to A) Wear gloves and sign and vote, B) Send the ballots without any precautions.

The normal thing would be to quarantine the ballots and while the mail-in votes by their nature won't have this issue, in person voting and so on will. I hope it doesn't happen but it's a risk.

The morality play of how Trump's actual handling of COVID, the people he has killed and infected (700 in the rallies he held after Hospital release have died) will have affected the outcome is probably the only one with a real moral in it.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I mean seriously. It's 2020 and we're still counting ballots 2 days after the polls closed? Ridiculous!
    We Have Always Counted Ballots Two Days After The Polls Closed!

Which should be the title of a scary movie.

Ballots have always taken days to count but because mail-in ballots are where it's at in this election that means it's going to take a while. I mean this isn't news, people have warned about this for a long while.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    That's unfortunate that this happened, but people aren't obliged to be nice to you and certainly aren't required to allow you to participate in a political gathering. And trying to win over former Trump voters would just be a bad move strategically for the Democrats, most of them are unlikely to ever consider changing their vote and to sway the few that would, the party would have to push their agenda so far to the right that it would piss off the base of loyal Democratic voters, that's just not a trade any sensible person would make.
    Im not saying anyone is obliged to be nice to me. I never said that. I was just pointing out that some (Not all) of the Democrats are hateful towards Those they see as opponents as well. They are not the understanding welcoming bunch that you made them out to be. I think it is foolish to ask someone to leave when they are there to learn more about your platform and want to be part of your party. that is a good way to alienate people in a hurry and is a very Republican thing to do.

And I think it would be a good move to recruit former Republicans and former Trump voters like myself. If Dems really want to chip away at the party why not welcome people who have or are thinking of leaving it and looking for a new direction.

If they are hostile to those who were at one point not on their side but want to be now wouldnt that just push the former Republicans back into that camp and make them even more hard core if they saw the other party see them as the enemy despite what they say in public?
    Last edited by babyblob; 11-05-2020 at 03:49 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Im not saying anyone is obliged to be nice to me. I never said that. I was just pointing out that some (Not all) of the Democrats are hateful towards Those they see as opponents as well. They are not the understanding welcoming bunch that you made them out to be.
    No, we aren't. We're fucking tired of this ****. We're tired of the lack of progress. We're tired of being forced to live our lives by the laws of a religion we don't practice. Women are tired of old white men telling them what they can and cannot do with their own bodies. We're tired of being the only developed nation without medicare for all. We're tired of endless, senseless gun violence. We're tired of children... CHILDREN having to have active shooter training in schools. We're tired of not having clean drinking water. We're tired of starving children. Corporations that don't pay taxes. Rich men who don't pay their taxes. Student debt you can't work your way out of. Education as privilege. Arguing for basic civil rights. Dying in the streets. Preexisting conditions. Gerrymandering. Voter suppression. The fucking list goes on.

We are tired of the people standing in the way of fixing these issues. We do not welcome people who want to hold our lives back, and would rather see us sick, stupid or dead.

Republican candidate who died of COVID-19 wins North Dakota election

A North Dakota state legislative candidate died from COVID-19 in October — one month before Election Day. David Andahl, a Republican running for the state's House of Representatives won his race on Tuesday. Now, there is a dispute over what to do with his empty seat.

Andahl, 55, had been hospitalized and died after being sick for about four days, according to his mother Pat Andahl, who told The Bismarck Tribune in October.

Andahl's mother said that her son had been "very careful" about the pandemic. She also described his passion about the prospect of serving in government, and "had a lot of feelings for his county."
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    everyone knows mike got a ghetto pass.

BANNED

The true morality play of this election!

Trump murdered a guy from his own party who won a State Legislature.

What a mess. A dead candidate on the ballot who carried through, and it's not some incident in some SNL satire or a Mencken or Twain satire.

So what happens to his votes? Does it go to the other guy, does it get discounted?