Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    School shooting in Michigan. 3 dead, 6 injured. Shooter is 15 years old and is in custody.
    Yeah, and I'm ready for all the messages of thoughts and prayers from the Right.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Yeah, and I'm ready for all the messages of thoughts and prayers from the Right.
    In the same Press Conference that explains why they will fight ever gun control law they think of.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Here's a domestic terrorist from the Capitol Attack under indictment announcing a run for Texas House of Representatives. Note that he also wants Texas to secede from the union (which presumably he would prefer because he would no longer face federal charges from the U.S. government as a citizen of "the nation of Texas".)
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Here's a domestic terrorist from the Capitol Attack under indictment announcing a run for Texas House of Representatives. Note that he also wants Texas to secede from the union (which presumably he would prefer because he would no longer face federal charges from the U.S. government as a citizen of "the nation of Texas".)
    He must of been listening to Ted Cruz: Ted Cruz tells students Texas may try to secede if "things become hopeless" in the U.S. — and jokes Joe Rogan could be state's president
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

CNN suspends Chris Cuomo indefinitely
    https://thehill.com/homenews/media/5...definitely?amp

CNN has suspended anchor Chris Cuomo indefinitely following new revelations about his involvement in the harassment case against his brother, former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D).

"The New York Attorney General's office released transcripts and exhibits Monday that shed new light on Chris Cuomo's involvement in his brother's defense," CNN said in a statement to The Hill on Tuesday evening.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    2024 is a long way away and so much will change on the political landscape by then but I’m not confident one bit about either Biden or Harris’ chances. Republicans relentlessly attacked Biden for being senile in 2020 and they’ll go to the extreme in 2024. Frankly there may be some validity to the attack as I personally wouldn’t want an 82 year old man running the country.

Harris has fallen flat in her first year as VP. Unless she has a massive turnaround in the next two years I think the Dems should consider someone else. There are rumors that Buttigiege has become quite popular with many in the Biden White House. Unfortunately a gay man as a candidate would lose a lot of black and Latino voters who may vote Democrat but are still very socially conservative.

I think all Trump needs to do is get a conservative female VP which would help win back the suburbs and he’d have a relatively easy victory.

If Trump does run again and has a big lead in the polls maybe Michelle Obama will jump in the race for the good of the country.
    I certainly don't think Harris is an effective politician, but she's going to be difficult to defeat in a presidential primary. Assuming Biden doesn't run for a second term, she's better positioned for the Democratic party's nomination than Al Gore in 2000, Hillary Clinton in 2016, or Joe Biden in 2020, as a sitting vice president who is a middle-aged woman of color.

Buttigieg is popular, but what's his path to win the nomination? He wasn't able to capitalize on his Iowa win last time because he did poorly among African-American voters. His best bet to get their support in the future is unlikely to involve running against a black Vice President.

If Michelle Obama wanted to be on a national ticket, she could've done in 2020. I'm sure Biden would've been ecstatic to have her as a running mate.

As for Trump, I wonder if the current conversation about potential running mates for 2024 is driven by the way that other figures are emerging. Youngkin showed that Republicans can outperform Trump, which makes one of the Donald's main arguments (that he alone can win) moot.

If Trump runs, he certainly has a good chance of winning the nomination, and polls currently show him beating Harris. I'm not sure how much the running mate matters, as the main thing is to avoid problems rather than to persuade people to vote for the top of the ticket.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It will be fun watching the position he has to adopt to win the Primary. He also has to kiss Trump's ass.
    Maybe.

The announced candidates aren't that impressive. On the Republican side, the ones with a wikipedia entry are a former Ambassador to Denmark and a failed congressional candidate.

The Democratic race is interesting, with Lieutenant Governor John Fetterman taking on a moderate congressman, a state senator whose dad was mayor of Philadelphia, and a 31 year old state representative.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Exactly, it can't be solved overnight as it directly has to do with the economic condition of those countries.
    This is a really bad message for Democrats. We need an immigration policy that includes the understanding that some people who really want to be in this country aren't going to be able to get in.

Harris is being held to a higher, and unreasonable, standard than other previous VPs. Just compare her to Pence, for example. VPs aren't supposed to overshadow the President, mostly when they are assigned work they do it in the background, and rarely in their first year.
    I don't think you're interested in voting for Pence, who did actually have significant experience (a Governor who had served in congressional leadership) and who is currently overshadowed by his former boss and by a new rising star in Ron DeSantis.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Not to poop on your point, but I sleepwalked (sleptwalked?) through the '04 convention and the inevitable feeling of doom as Bush's reelection approached and when I saw Obama's keynote I thought two things. 1. "Wow. Who the hell is that? And can we get him on the ticket?" And 2. "They really shouldn't have put that guy on before Kerry, because Kerry can't compete with that." Perhaps the largest gap in charisma and energy I've ever seen between two speakers at any event. "I'm...John...Kerry......and I'm....reporting..for..duty." (salute).
    To be fair, Kerry came close to unseating an incumbent President in wartime.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Also, everyone talks about how little Harris has accomplished so far. The only things I can tell you a Vice President has done is take over after an assassination (Johnson), resign in disgrace (Agnew), build the internet (Gore), and be Obama's wingman (Biden). I couldn't tell you one thing Biden did as VP, other than supporting the troops, since he's well known for that. I can' tell you one thing that Bush Sr. did as VP, just that he took over after Reagan. So let's give her more than 11 months to get something going before we all declare her a disaster and a losing candidate.
    Some of us may think Vice Presidents don't do much, but the public and insiders could have different expectations.

In recent years, Vice Presidents have helped Governors, young Senators and political outsiders navigate Washington DC. That's something Harris can't quite do, since Biden was in Washington for 44 years (36 years as a Senator including 16 years as ranking member of major committees, eight years as Vice President.)

If a VP is known for supporting the troops, that's useful in swing states.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Harris is being held to a higher, and unreasonable, standard than other previous VPs. Just compare her to Pence, for example. VPs aren't supposed to overshadow the President, mostly when they are assigned work they do it in the background, and rarely in their first year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Since when do we expect the Vice President to actually do anything? The VP is the national understudy. You know, just in case, God forbid... But the right wing media ha set up Harris for failure, just like they did with Hillary Clinton. Let's not play into their bullshit this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I think the situation with Harris is a little different because of Biden’s age. At 78, he’s the oldest person to ever be president. It’s a morbid thought but there is more of a chance of him dying from natural causes than previous modern presidents. Plus the fact that he’ll be 82 by the end of his first term and Harris is seen as the most likely candidate to take over if he chooses not to run for re-election. Frankly I think he shouldn’t run at that age.
    Basically agree with Robotman. Whether we like it or not the guy we settled on is clearly past his prime and it's not outside the realm of possibility he's either even more clearly diminished come 2024 or dies before we get there. No Vice President has had a greater need to be ready to take the job in my lifetime, nor as likely to find themselves at the top of the ticket after four years, so she's being judged (rightly so) not as an accessory but as the potential (perhaps likely) nominee in '24. And judging by the lack of connection to Democratic Primary voters (to say nothing of the larger population) and her inability to stand out when gifted the greatest platform a politician could ask for it's not only fair but necessary to judge her and weigh her ability to handle the office because we may need to know that and prepare going in.

We'll see how things go in the next 2 years, especially after the midterms, but even those of you who are reflexively defensive of the Democratic Party must have a hard time being optimistic if Harris/? 2024 is the ticket.

Interesting development with the Bannon case.

CNN, ABC, and more than a dozen media companies file legal brief JOINING Steve Bannon’s bid to lift the DOJ’s order stopping him sharing 1,000 files in his contempt of Congress case
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ive-order.html

A coalition of major media companies has filed a legal brief in support of former Trump chief White House strategist Steven Bannon as he fights a proposed protective order in court that would keep him from publicizing Jan. 6th documents and information.

The media group – which includes CNN, ABC, NBC, plus the Washington Post, the New York Times, and the parent company of the Wall Street Journal – filed a motion to intervene as Bannon's fights the government's proposed order as part of his contempt of Congress case.

The press group argues that the government's proposed order would violate the First Amendment – and takes on the government's own contention that allowing Bannon to use the materials would result in pretrial publicity that could taint the jury pool.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Basically agree with Robotman. Whether we like it or not the guy we settled on is clearly past his prime and it's not outside the realm of possibility he's either even more clearly diminished come 2024 or dies before we get there. No Vice President has had a greater need to be ready to take the job in my lifetime, nor as likely to find themselves at the top of the ticket after four years, so she's being judged (rightly so) not as an accessory but as the potential (perhaps likely) nominee in '24. And judging by the lack of connection to Democratic Primary voters (to say nothing of the larger population) and her inability to stand out when gifted the greatest platform a politician could ask for it's not only fair but necessary to judge her and weigh her ability to handle the office because we may need to know that and prepare going in.

We'll see how things go in the next 2 years, especially after the midterms, but even those of you who are reflexively defensive of the Democratic Party must have a hard time being optimistic if Harris/? 2024 is the ticket.
    Jeez...

Just, yeah.

First off, this absolutely was the gig when she took it. Everyone knew it.

Second, you are the VP for a President who has one foot in a long-term care facility and one on a slippery spot and you are saying "The audacity of these people to expect me to be getting ready to be the man!..."?

Biden is fine health as far as we know. Calling him 'one foot in a long term care facility' for his age alone is resoundingly agist.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Biden is fine health as far as we know. Calling him 'one foot in a long term care facility' for his age alone is resoundingly agist.
    Not once he is pushing eighty.

While I hope that the guy gets to grow old in once piece and with all of his facilities intact?

That becomes less and less likely every single year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    He just got a pretty solid health review from the White House physician, including the mental health exam.

Which, he didn't brag about, because that's not a test result that's extraordinary.

Unlike his mentally ill predecessor.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Interesting development with the Bannon case.

CNN, ABC, and more than a dozen media companies file legal brief JOINING Steve Bannon’s bid to lift the DOJ’s order stopping him sharing 1,000 files in his contempt of Congress case
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ive-order.html
    So Bannon won't turn the evidence over to the House committee but he'll publish them in the press?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Not once he is pushing eighty.

While I hope that the guy gets to grow old in once piece and with all of his facilities intact?

That becomes less and less likely every single year.
    Yeah, even at eighty, guy, and it's a weird flex given the guy you were supporting is even older.