Page 136 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 36861261321331341351361371381391401461862366361136 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,040 of 75153
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I'm wondering how many complaints that cop had against him over his career and if his superiors or fellow officers suspected this day would eventually come.
    The idea that this was a surprise to those who actually knew him is bullshit.
    Until our police departments actually take the responsibility to protect the public from their own bad officers this will continue to happen.
    True, they have an incredibly difficult and dangerous job, but so do firefighters and it's not a common occurrence for them to look the other way while one of their own commits arson.
    The cops who were with him, at the damn time, can't claim that the death was of any surprise.

Who honestly thinks that the human neck can support the knee of an adult, in that position or any other?

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I'm wondering how many complaints that cop had against him over his career and if his superiors or fellow officers suspected this day would eventually come.
    The idea that this was a surprise to those who actually knew him is bullshit.
    18. That's the answer.
    https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/geo...6cc043f7a79d33

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    By arresting a black news reporter before the police officer that murdered George Floyd in cold blood. That’s how. That shows the citizens that the fraternity of thugs that they call “law enforcement” care more about their brethren than the people they’re “supposed” to protect.

The abolishment of the police.

https://plsonline.eku.edu/insidelook...rican-policing
    So, the standard is that we don't have a democracy as long as some cops screw up?

Who is going to be in charge of law enforcement after a violent revolution results in the abolishment of the police?

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Exactly. It’s pretty explicitly coded language. The constant ignorance and refusal is pretty much just that... ignorance in the face of an obvious truth.

When the US loots other countries for PPE, artifacts, and resources, no one bats a damn eye. Meanwhile POOR and DISENFRANCHISED Black ppl that have been robbed of their labor and value take back what’s theirs and its soooooo “violent.” Despicable.
    Prior events occurred during times with different standards.

With PPE, there was outbidding, rather than theft.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Perhaps you should review the response by the Democratic Mayor compared to the Republican President.
    So they are protesting the Republican President in the streets of Minneapolis and St. Paul?

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    You should do your own research and read up about the militarization of American police, numerous police killings through the past years, and the entire history of American racism to learn some possible answers. Explaining it all step by step to someone acting like they're trying to not understand would be, quite frankly, exhausting.

But there are too many possible answers for me to sit here and list when the best answer is, "Do something, ANYTHING, to make police stop killing people they're supposed to be protecting for no reason. Like prosecuting. Or suspending a cop with a track record of police brutality so he can't hang around enough to murder a man."

That's not a lot to ask. And if your vote hasn't put people in place to make sure this very simple request as a citizen isn't being honored... you can't be surprised if people riot.

Especially not if the riot is started by an undercover Minneapolis police officer as an excuse to disperse the peaceful protesters, as is being speculated online. So there's that, too.
    People can do research, and come to very different policy outcomes. It wouldn't necessarily lead one to understand why someone thinks that the blue state of Minnesota has forced the people to riot by its failure to have a democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    The Republican way is to oppose "the left" -- you have to give an answer so they can explain why it probably wouldn't work.

Actual research would prevent that option and leave them in the unfavorable and untenable position of being judgded on their own merits.

As we've seen under the leadership of both Trump and Bush Jr that doesn't tend to work in their favor so an alternate strategy is necessary.

-----
    "If Obama wanted it, we Republicans had to be against it,” said Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-Ky."

https://www.politico.com/story/2010/...-pledge-044311
    You might be on to something that conservatives will suggest that rather than complaining about policies, one should offer an alternative.

If the alternative suggested by Democrats doesn't hold up to scrutiny, that's not really a knock on Republicans.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    THe fact that he was only disciplined for two of these complaints, and even then it was only a letter in his file speaks volumes on how the police protect their own.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    NOBODY

You go with the charge that you think you can win.
    Not the one that you think will get you into White House next to the President. That is why Zimmerman is still free.

it's hard to address issues when your minority population is 8-15%.
    I can ignore a lot of issues if they are never bought up.

First you have to have folks understand there is an issue.
    Second you have to be willing to meet and discuss those issues.
    Third you have to agree on solutions.

Most folks understand the first point. It's the OTHERS that are troublesome.
    They are troublesome because everyone has an AGENDA to BENEFIT them.

How many folks have PROFITED off of dead black males? Folks who got movie deals, tv shows, jobs, elected and so on.

See someone BENEFITS from all this.
    I can't run on an end police brutality platform if it's GONE.
    I can't put friends on special task forces if gun violence is solved.
    I can't keep certain businesses out of the hood-if crime rate is ultra down.
    I can't keep my WHITE schools at the top as the best-if Black schools are FIXED.
    I can't STEAL or MISUSE money for movements-if they are no longer needed. Hi Shaun King.

A lot of these issues could be solved if the right folks get to the table. The folks who benefit from this mess keep them out.
    I disagree with the suggestion that people in power wants to keep gun violence, policy brutality, a high crime rate, and a low quality of black schools. Anyone who would take any credit for making significant strides would be respected and successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    If that's true, then the question must be asked: why have they been so slow to charge police officers in these types of cases in the past?
    There is typically a lack of evidence at this level. It's also easier to do a cover-up when there isn't a viral cell phone video.

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    There's an inherent irony to the fact that "peaceful" protests are ignored and downplayed; almost mocked, while the moment you finally respond with anger and hostility towards a system, people criticize you for being barbaric and uncivilized.
    One way to think about this would be how you would want someone to be treated when they're protesting for things you disagree with, or don't believe merit the attention they receive.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Since this seems like it actually needs to be pointed out...

https://www.history.com/topics/ameri...ston-tea-party

If you bring up what happened during the Boston Tea Party and you believe that you have made an "Apple"/"Apple" comparison, it's worth noting that you are a ways off base.

Not to say that the two might be on the same set of train tracks, but it's also states apart. It's important not to lose sight of that historical reality.
    Yeah, there is the weird implication that if you're a patriot, you should have no problem with any crime in the name of protest.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    By creating a better separation of powers and making sure there is better oversight of the police that ends the centuries of extrajudicial murder by the people who should supposedly protect us. It's not like there are other countries where police even pulling their guns and shooting are very rare exceptions. Stop pretending that the world ends at our beaches and that we are doomed to being the shithole country we are.
    I'm really not sure where I've said anything on the question of whether we can adopt policing policies for other countries. As far as I can tell, you introduced the topic in your post.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Several police heads across nation condemn force used before Floyd death: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...death-n1217451

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Yeah, sorry for a death he wasn’t directly responsible for. I doubt very much Trump was even a tiny bit sincere, that’s just not in his makeup. Hell, he was probably prodded into saying what he did, thinking that might earn him props from the black community. Sorry, Donnie boy, but this brutha ain’t buying what you’re selling. Meanwhile, Trump hasn’t issued anything in the way of condolences for the over 100,000 people who’ve died from coronavirus on his watch. **** him and his fake sympathy.
    Oh, his Twitter account did post about over 100,000 people dying. It was very eloquent and thoughtful... which means someone else typed it more than likely.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Anyone else embarrassed they ever spent money on a Dilbert book?
    I own the series on DVD and two Dilbert books, one I got from my uncle back in the early 2000s. Not embarrassed by the money I spent since the ones I bought were on sale, but more than likely will never bother with any of them again. Sad really, I did enjoy The Dilbert Principle and it was my go-to book to read on plane trips.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Anywho, what's up the president today?

Oh, you know, the usual insanity and insecurity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    So, the standard is that we don't have a democracy as long as some cops screw up?
    Certainly not until we are consistent about holding them accountable for screwing up.

You might be on to something that conservatives will suggest that rather than complaining about policies, one should offer an alternative.

If the alternative suggested by Democrats doesn't hold up to scrutiny, that's not really a knock on Republicans.
    Of course, alternative strategies by Democrats generally hold up to much greater scrutiny than Republicans, who tend to suggest the solution to crime is to "grab criminals by the throat, throw them in prison and never let them out" (paraphrase of Phil Graham on the Senate floor).

BANNED

I disagree with the suggestion that people in power wants to keep gun violence, policy brutality, a high crime rate, and a low quality of black schools. Anyone who would take any credit for making significant strides would be respected and successful.
    People who try to do that can make at least as much money easier by receiving money from the NRA, which benefits from gun violence, police brutality, a high crime rate, and low quality of black schools. Being successful resolving all of these ills is much more nebulous, at best.

There is typically a lack of evidence at this level. It's also easier to do a cover-up when there isn't a viral cell phone video.
    As I say, until we hold law enforcement accountable - perhaps more importantly until law enforcement holds itself accountable - there can be no real democracy. Or even a representative republic. There will always be the disenfranchised, and law enforcement will actively work to keep them that way.

One way to think about this would be how you would want someone to be treated when they're protesting for things you disagree with, or don't believe merit the attention they receive.
    If someone disagrees with treating other people with respect, based on race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or criminal history, than I don't really give a flying f what they think about violent protests.

Yeah, there is the weird implication that if you're a patriot, you should have no problem with any crime in the name of protest.
    Not in the name of protest. In the name of consistent unresolved inequality that leads to the loss of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness based solely on a race's...race.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Anywho, what's up the president today?

Oh, you know, the usual insanity and insecurity.
    Makes me astonished he’d rather be talking about his “most vicious dogs” rather than attempting to appeal to the concerns of protesters that want black people have better lives in society, since their lives most definitely matter, and restructure the police departments so that they don’t act like self-appointed dictators doing whatever they want such as threatening any peacefully-started protests and arresting camera crews.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I figure we can all use a minute to point and laugh at a white nationalist. So...

His surname is Fuentes. He'd ban his own last name with this stupid f***ing idea.
    Maybe he should ask his abuela if she spoke English when she first came here.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Ultimate Member

Who is going to be in charge of law enforcement after a violent revolution results in the abolishment of the police?

Prior events occurred during times with different standards.

With PPE, there was outbidding, rather than theft.

So they are protesting the Republican President in the streets of Minneapolis and St. Paul?

People can do research, and come to very different policy outcomes. It wouldn't necessarily lead one to understand why someone thinks that the blue state of Minnesota has forced the people to riot by its failure to have a democracy.

I've not only shown the Democratic alternatives (which you again ignored) I've also shown how Republicans obstruct and roll back said altenatives and solutions even when they are effective.

Leading -- again -- to the situation that we see today.

At this point, I'll just make sure not to respond to your deflections any longer -- it serves no purpose whatsoever.

I already told you what would happen if your party kept suppressing and oppressing the rights of others.

Now we all get to see it play out in real time.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-30-2020 at 10:48 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Makes me astonished he’d rather be talking about his “most vicious dogs” rather than attempting to appeal to the concerns of protesters that want black people have better lives in society, since their lives most definitely matter, and restructure the police departments so that they don’t act like self-appointed dictators doing whatever they want such as threatening any peacefully-started protests and arresting camera crews.
    Yeah, but of he expressed actual empathy, he wouldn't be able to pretend to be a bad ass who never flinches from trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yeah, but of he expressed actual empathy, he wouldn't be able to pretend to be a bad ass who never flinches from trouble.
    Meanwhile, as we've seen from the craven s*** in action:

X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.