Page 702 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 20260265269269869970070170270370470570671275280212021702 ... LastLast
Results 10,516 to 10,530 of 75153

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    "Left Not Liberal" is a thing, yes.
    Bernie or Burn it down, as they say.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Okay, I'm just gonna throw this out again to see where it lands.

The Democrats' problem isn't that they disagree with the process, or even that they're particularly surprised by the hypocrisy.
    The problem is that the GOP is Saturday morning cartoon supervillain Evil.
    Seriously. There's no line they won't cross, as we're currently seeing. Trump is a reflection, not a cause, of that

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Recently, on FB, encountered the idea that there's a significant difference between a Liberal and a Leftist. Unfortunately, some things I thought would be Liberal (like Trans rights) seem to be embraced by Leftists. Disliking solving things through government seems to be Leftist. Anybody got thoughts on significant differences?
    The way I see it is that it's another example of trying to force other people into political cages. Labeling others differently just to make your label seem more significant. It's a tribal phenomenon. In order to have meaning for themselves, they need to define themselves as different, and in doing so they are creating these strange narratives.

It's unnecessarily divisive at a time when more people should be working together. Instead, fo embracing a diversity of ideas and accepting that people have as much a right to self-identify politically as they have to self-identify in any other way.

Those things, like Trans-rights, are liberal. So are many other things, and having someone else say to me that otherwise is denying my rights as a liberal to believe in these causes.

So, sure, they have a right to believe what they want, but that doesn't make it true, or real, or change how I or anyone else feel or what we believe. It's basically a form of political prejudice.

And yeah, I might get some flak for saying that. Anyone sho goes around saying that they who self-identify as Leftists are the one true embodiment of all things liberal and that liberals are not liberal are not doing anyone any favors.

I'm not saying there aren't some bad apples, there always are in all groups, but to generalize it broadly is only going to make things worse.
    Last edited by Tami; 09-21-2020 at 11:16 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

https://twitter.com/i/events/1308046966153031680

So, they went and declared New York, Seattle, and Portland 'anarchist jurisdictions'' because we don't kiss police ass hard enough.
    Hmm! I wonder when, not if other Democrat run cities (say like Philly) will be added to that ignominious list?

The Democrats' problem isn't that they disagree with the process, or even that they're particularly surprised by the hypocrisy.
    THAT, my friend, is a gross insult to the Legion of Doom. Yeah, I watched Super Friends as I kid. I don't deny it.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Spectacular Member Kuro no Shinigami's Avatar

Knowing Donald Trump is a sore loser and not a good sport, he would rather run wholly naked through fifth avenue than concede the election.

Florida is the biggest swing state. Only California and Texas have more electors than the Sunshine State. NY has equal number of electors as Florida. Neither candidate can afford to lose it.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

DeSantis just wants to remind everyone he is still around and he is an ass.

#BREAKING - Gov. Ron DeSantis announced new legislation that, if passed, would impose harsher penalties on violent protesters and would penalize cities who "defund the police."

I'd call them less Saturday morning cartoon supervillain evil, and more Mr. McMahon Machiavellian evil.

Kelly Loeffler's new ad is some next level strange and brags that she is "more conservative than Attila the Hun," as an Attila the Hun (bad) recreation has a command to "eliminate the liberal scribes."

I guess that literally means me.
    Twitter Link
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    The hell was that ****? How many brain damaged Republican baboons did it take to dream up that nonsense?

Ultimate Member

"I won't vote for someone who doesn't give me healqth care!" and 'he's a RAPIST!" are the two I see most often. It's weird that the same people who screamed that 'Kamala is a cop!' are suddenly absolutely silent about Reade's fraudulent expertise actively putting people in prison when they want to trot her out against Biden.
    Along with folks justifying not voting at all.

Because someone's free services got screwed up by Clinton with his welfare reform.

I would LOVE for folks to put aside petty BS and just vote.

Look at all the mess we have seen under Trump. To still have issues with not wanting to get him out because you don't like Biden?

I don't care for him either but I will gladly take my chances with him over Trump. And it's not so much Trump that scares me but who is influenced by his antics.

You can appoint all the racist and bigots you want and THINK they are going to hurt POC ALONE. NO everyone gets hurt in some form.

For all the trolling about Defund the police-who are the MAIN folks getting killed by them??? It's not black folks with respect to actual numbers versus percentage of the population.
    Welfare and affirmative action gets cut-guess who get screwed over in the next 20 years?

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Hmmmm... this can't be good at all.

LMPD (Louisville police) declare State of Emergency in preparation for Grand Jury announcement on Breonna Taylor.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    No it doesn’t sound good at all. I can only hope nothing ugly goes down when the announcement is made. Meanwhile, predictably, there were more than a few comments blaming Ms. Taylor for being in the wrong place at the wrong time when she was filled with holes. The whiteness just oozed from those comments.

Astonishing Member

Honestly, nobody knows what the different political labels mean. Even if you define them, people will endlessly argue about the definitions. Making sure everything is labeled isn't really important anyway.
    Words have meaning, the right weaponise this by trying to alter what this so its'e easier to divide the left. Labels aren't bad when they're used correctly, they're just telling X is X. It is important in politics since which "team" you're on will be used for an agenda by and actors when definitions aren't specific. Being vague allows bad actors to say whatever they want without being nailed down to specifics so they get to paint a broad brush with their opponents, making it easier to decrease turnout, demotivate the left and divide the opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Words have meaning, the right weaponise this by trying to alter what this so its'e easier to divide the left. Labels aren't bad when they're used correctly, they're just telling X is X. It is important in politics since which "team" you're on will be used for an agenda by and actors when definitions aren't specific. Being vague allows bad actors to say whatever they want without being nailed down to specifics so they get to paint a broad brush with their opponents, making it easier to decrease turnout, demotivate the left and divide the opposition.
    Yeah, but they're just going to make up whatever definition they want anyway. Even what the actual word is doesn't seem to really matter. They just have to be able to repeat it enough that it becomes a boogieman, then they just tie whoever they want to it. It's maddening.

On this date in 2014 “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” had a profile of Jake Knotts, a former South Carolina State Senator who after having a long-standing feud with former South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford, continued to take out his rage upon his heir-apparent, current Gov. Nikki Haley, during her campaign to follow in his footsteps. Perhaps if he really wanted to stop her from being elected, he shouldn’t have campaigned on behalf of her opponent, Andre Bauer, by going on conservative radio to say, “We already got one raghead in the White House, we don’t need a raghead in the governor’s mansion.” Knotts then continued to try to defend that racist statement by using the “Saturday Night Live” defense, that it was for a comedy show, before alternating back to claiming Nikki Haley was some sort of Sikh Manchurian Candidate and throwing men out of the woodwork who claimed they had bumped uglies with Haley. Knotts has been out of office, and politically off the radar now since 2012.

It was on this date in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018, "Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" profiled Tim Murphy, a seven-term U.S. House Representative for Pennsylvania’s 18th Congressional District. Murphy, as you might recall, admitted to seeing the “terribly shocking” Planned Parenthood videos TWO WEEKS before they were made public. When asked why he would have kept silent after witnessing such alleged atrocities (that were proven to be false), he gave the mealy-mouthed response of, “Um, I don’t know why. All I know is I saw it and he said he was going to post it eventually, so that’s all I know” before Murphy seemingly then ended the interview by trying to perform a Jedi Mind Trick, telling the reporter, “This interview didn’t happen”. That isn’t even his first botched media confrontation, either. Back in 2006, a reporter from KDKA television, Andy Sheehan, interviewed Rep. Murphy and presented him with documents that showed he had his District Office employees were (illegally) also working on his re-election campaign. Murphy, on camera, snatched the documents away from Sheehan, and refused to give them back, not realizing apparently that a reporter would be smart enough to have COPIES of evidence. Murphy's bad reactions to this weren't over, though... he fired his scheduler, Jayne O'Shaughnessy, for blowing the whistle. Luckily for the Congressman, though, the Bush administration Dept. of Justice didn't bother to follow up with an investigation of any wrongdoing, because they weren't going to throw a fellow Republican ot the wolves. Murphy was also one of many Republicans fear-mongering over the Ebola Virus prior to the 2014 elections, by calling for a travel ban that medical experts said would only exacerbate the problem. His staunch conservative voting record includes stances against same sex marriage, equal pay for women, support for radical pro-life legislation that includes voting to keep Terry Schiavo alive against her wishes, and a need to investigate or decry every faux-scandal the GOP have cooked up. He has been re-elected five times in spite of being rated as one of the most corrupt members of Congress by CREW. Congressman Murphy made some headlines around this time in 2017 when the self-professed "defender of marriage" got caught running around on his wife, and admitted to having an extramarital affair, after the details were exposed in his mistress' divorce proceedings. And, shock of shocks, there was a point where Murphy and his mistress had a pregnancy scare, and he was immediately pleading with her to have an abortion, as was revealed in e-mails and text messages between the two. After having his arm twisted by what passes for Republican leadership, Tim Murphy quickly resigned, his career likely damned.

On this date in 2019, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” profiled Pastor Mark Burns, who in 2018, was one of thirteen… yes THIRTEEN challengers trying to run for U.S. House of Representatives in South Carolina’s 4th Congressional District, hoping to replace the chief exploiter of Benghazi, Trey Gowdy, who opted to resign after realizing he wouldn’t be able to turn House Oversight Committee hearings into a three-ring circus while in the minority party after the Blue Wave hit. Anyway, Mark Burns is renowned for being the sort of Evangelical charlatan who endorses the so-called “Prosperity Gospel” that ignores most of the actual teachings of Jesus when it comes to wealth and charity, and was drawn into the spotlight of the GOP when Donald Trump asked that he give the opening prayer at the four-day hate rally that the 2016 Republican National Convention. In that benediction, Burns referred to Democrats as “the enemy” and called upon God to defeat Hillary Clinton, so that’s a little much. That was far from the last he was heard from during the 2016 campaign, though, because he began serving as a Trump surrogate, by doing things like defending Trump from being openly racist towards Judge Gonzalo Curiel while sharing racist memes about Democrats, including a cartoon of Hillary Clinton in Blackface on social media, as one does in the name of the Lord. Not even a week after making headlines with that behavior, Pastor Burns sat down for an interview with Victor Blackwell of CNN, who came with receipts to read him for filth. Specifically, Blackwell wanted Burns to address several falsehoods on his church’s website that falsely claimed he had a Bachalor’s Degree (he only went to college for a semester), falsely claimed to have membership in the Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity, and served six years in the Army Reserve (South Carolina National Guard, in reality). When the interview was obviously not going Burns’ way, he tried claiming that he’d only agreed to talk to Blackwell “off the record”, and got up and walked out. Within 24 hours, the church’s website deleted the lies from the pastor’s resume. Mark Burns then tried claiming he was the victim in everything for being “a black man supporting Donald Trump for President.” Pastor Burns continued to defend Donald Trump from warranted accusations that he was a racist for years, including in January of 2018 when Trump was facing public scrutiny for referring to Haiti and several African nations as “s***hole countries”. After another disastrous interview, this time with MSNBC’s Joy Reid where he embarrassed himself trying to shield Donald Trump from being called a racist when he obvious is, he made the very levelheaded decision to release a video on social media where he asked why Reid “doesn’t move to Haiti?” Joy Reid responded by quoting the Bible back at the pastor, which is fitting since he seems so confused about what’s actually in the book in the first place. The only real steps Mark Burns took to repair his image with voters prior to his attempt at getting elected to Congress in 2018 was to start wearing colored contacts and make people think he had blue eyes. It didn’t help much. Burns finished eighth out of the thirteen Republican candidates vying for Trey Gowdy’s old seat, only getting 2.5% of the vote. Back in 2017, he was making noise about challenging Lindsey Graham for his Senate seat in 2020, but he ended up sitting this year’s election out. As such, we will set aside his profile at this time, and take a look at another wacky Republican today instead. (Current crazy/stupid scoreboard, is now 918-45, since this was established in July 2014.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.