Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Ron DeSantis will make his doomed presidential run official in a live chat with white nationalist Elon Musc on his doomed Twitter platform.
    "You're starting too early bud." Now Ron can accept those sweet donations, but Trump's going to target him in a way unprecedented before he declared. That's going to prime his followers NOT to flock to Ron when/if Don gets taken out of the running by legal issues. So I hope this Ron & Don conflict gets going soon, because I like saying Ron & Don as it reminds me of Dine & Dash in more ways than one.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    While Neery was unarmed, so was Penny.

This would be a different case if Penny shot Neery, or used some kind of different weapon.
    His self-defense claim would be on even shakier ground in court, true.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 05-23-2023 at 04:35 PM.

I'm looking forward to the political wounds DeSantis will suffer in the DeFascist v Orange Smear cage match. The fact that he'll be fighting the MAGA crowd's orange god might endanger his next governor campaign (because no way he beats Trump in the primary). Sure he'll make a lot of money this year from campaign donations, but it might be at the cost of his iron gripped rule of the state.

Sadly I'm not delusional enough to believe Florida will ever vote for a Democrat again, so if he loses it'll be to another Republican more loyal to Trump. Still, I'll be glad to be rid of him.

In other "red-state governor that is garbage" news, member of a whites-only club (really) and South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster has started to openly state how much he loves the idea of Democrats being in a low enough number that they can be hunted for sport.

Given that 78% of African Americans in South Carolina identify as Democrats, it does bring this sort of image to mind:

X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    It is a sad to me why there are so many young people today that are part of this cult of Nazis. But maybe it's because there are more and more schools that don't cover it in the history classes these days in Red states tes like Florida. Students will never learn anything about the Holocaust and how many people were killed by the Nazis . Or They are probably brainwashed by their parent(s).
    Or they know exactly what happened, and think there should be more of it, starting with trans people.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Well, and there are holocaust deniers which is part of it. When you get deep fakes and all the mixed messages about media and information in general, there is also much distrust. But what you said about schools not covering it, period, is probably accurate in some cases. Unfortunately there isn't a way to learn from history unless its taught accurately and thoroughly in the first place, and unless people believe it.
    And which party has been aggressively working to stop that from happening in recent years? could it be...the Republicans?

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    In other "red-state governor that is garbage" news, member of a whites-only club (really) and South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster has started to openly state how much he loves the idea of Democrats being in a low enough number that they can be hunted for sport.

Given that 78% of African Americans in South Carolina identify as Democrats, it does bring this sort of image to mind:

In other "hunting people for sport" news, I saw a Tiktok last night with video of a Christianist pastor saying that parents who accept their LGBT kids for who they are should be hanged from a bridge, or some such.

It's becoming clearer every day that the Christian Reich needs to be stopped. By any means necessary.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    It is a sad to me why there are so many young people today that are part of this cult of Nazis. But maybe it's because there are more and more schools that don't cover it in the history classes these days in Red states tes like Florida. Students will never learn anything about the Holocaust and how many people were killed by the Nazis . Or They are probably brainwashed by their parent(s).
    I honestly can't believe that ignorance of history is why there are so many more Nazis these days.

Nazis have been shorthand for evil for decades now. In TV shows, movies, comics and everything in between. The only good or sympathetic Nazis that I've ever seen are those who have denounced them, and even those are few and far between.

Some people like being them against the world. Or some people just have that much hate.

In today's latest book banning update, Amanda Gorman's poem "The Hill We Climb" was read at the Biden inauguration. BUT it sends indirect hate messages according to a parent in...you guessed it...FLORIDA.

It has now been banned for elementary school students. Article Link

These fucking people...
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I'm looking forward to the political wounds DeSantis will suffer in the DeFascist v Orange Smear cage match. The fact that he'll be fighting the MAGA crowd's orange god might endanger his next governor campaign (because no way he beats Trump in the primary). Sure he'll make a lot of money this year from campaign donations, but it might be at the cost of his iron gripped rule of the state.

Sadly I'm not delusional enough to believe Florida will ever vote for a Democrat again, so if he loses it'll be to another Republican more loyal to Trump. Still, I'll be glad to be rid of him.
    He's term limited, so that's why he has to shoot his shot now for the presidential bid. And yeah the unconstitutional DeSantis drawn map already destroyed what little hope there ever was of getting any dems in state congress/senate here, it's top to bottom rotten to the core. We can't get hit by enough hurricanes anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    You are once again completely misrepresenting the situation in order to point the finger at others.

You are constantly trying to make it about you when you’ve been told repeatedly it is about the actions and policies of the Republican Party and their negative effects on our democracy.

It’s already been noted that you don’t have to say anything at this point so don’t make things up — if you want to focus on why it was “right” for Penny to kill Neely then that’s your choice to make but don’t then turn around and lecture others about how they shouldn’t note obvious hypocrisy in your arguments.

People will criticize a political party that engages in racism, homophobia, and white nationalism as well as those who support those behaviors whether you think that is “right” or otherwise.

Nothing you say here is going to change that.
    I get that you don't like that I'm a Republican. But you are also criticizing me for not agreeing with you, and for not spending enough time discussing the topics and sources you want to cover.

It wouldn't be right for a conservative poster to act like an assignment editor, even in the context of a discussion thread where a majority of the posters would agree with his political views.

It's also weird to criticize someone for something you haven't asked for. If you'd like my thoughts on an article or video, ask. If you don't want my thoughts on it, I don't see the point to criticizing a lack of response to something that you don't think is all that important.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    When you make up your own arguments to respond to while expecting others to believe your misunderstandings are genuine, I sometimes resort to Memes to point it out.

No one on this thread is trying to say who is/isn't trans, least of all me. You made that up just like you made up the Feeding-Trolls post being about you and made false accusations about me mocking those identifying as transgender. My argument remains that TheWeek said many people who didn't reveal how they were assigned at birth were all born female to lie about there being a nonexistent 'spike' in them specifically. The whole concept of this spike doesn't take into account the massive & documented (Constantly building higher for years now) wave of bigotry against trans-women/boys/"men in dresses" which would have an affect on them self-reporting.

Now I just wait for the next outrageous thing you accuse me of without evidence to make me deny it. You know, "Pig-Fucker" Politics aka "I just want em to deny it!". It's a great way to dodge all those lies you keep asking for evidence of to then ignore, and it has a catchy name that draws attention too! It's a nice fit with the examples of Gaslighting and Sealioning, but none of it is behavior suitable for someone with a stated desire to be on the factual side of things rather than the 'right' side. Strangely, that makes this whole debate one of the best possible pieces of evidence to show your double-standard on the truth, providing/acknowledging evidence, acting obtuse to gaslight, and potentially other situations in the future.
    I've been open about the possibility that an increase in reporting is primarily due to the younger generation's greater comfort levels coming out.

But that does not conflict with the idea that there is an increase especially among females. Whatever the reason for the spike, it exists.

This seems to be another time when you're saying the argument isn't about whether it was appropriate or misleading for a reporter to include nonbinary or agender individuals (as well as others who describe their gender outside the typical man/ woman binary) among trans people.

You've certainly said otherwise a few times.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post6029692
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post6030472
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...25#post6317725
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...38#post6318038
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...92#post6318392

You also cut out the sections of my post where I did point out a serious potential misunderstanding. I think you've been going after me partly because you didn't realize a difference between measuring raw numbers and comparing increase.

There is an increase in females (defined once again as people with xx chromosomes) identifying as trans. This increase is greater than the increase among males. This is not controversial.

Likewise, I don't get the contradiction between "I haven't said that young females transition at a rate FAR more than young males. They might but I really haven't looked at the specific numbers." and "There is a significant and well-documented increase in the percentage of females who seek these services."

The question of whether females transition at a rate far more than young males (which incidentally isn't a claim I made) is different from the question of whether there's an increase in the percentage of females seeking these service.

One is a comparison of the raw numbers. The other is looking at an increase in one value. For example, if we're looking at the auto industry, there may be a significant increase in the adoption of electric cars even if the majority of cars sold remain gas-powered.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Why should the media not ignore her?

She bombed in her last presidential campaign, and her other bid for office had her get just over 13 percent in a congressional primary.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    In other "hunting people for sport" news, I saw a Tiktok last night with video of a Christianist pastor saying that parents who accept their LGBT kids for who they are should be hanged from a bridge, or some such.

It's becoming clearer every day that the Christian Reich needs to be stopped. By any means necessary.
    Can you clarify what "any means necessary" means?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post

He's term-limited so he couldn't run for another term anyway.

He's 44, so if this bombs, he has plenty of opportunities for some kind of political comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Well, and there are holocaust deniers which is part of it. When you get deep fakes and all the mixed messages about media and information in general, there is also much distrust. But what you said about schools not covering it, period, is probably accurate in some cases. Unfortunately there isn't a way to learn from history unless its taught accurately and thoroughly in the first place, and unless people believe it.
    Kids don't always follow advice from teachers and school administrators.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I honestly can't believe that ignorance of history is why there are so many more Nazis these days.

Nazis have been shorthand for evil for decades now. In TV shows, movies, comics and everything in between. The only good or sympathetic Nazis that I've ever seen are those who have denounced them, and even those are few and far between.

Some people like being them against the world. Or some people just have that much hate.
    How we cover history in Social Studies is important, but it's not the whole story.

Some people go into weird online rabbit holes. I remember one guy that the guy who leaked the info about Ukraine on Discord was part of a community that mainly followed the conflict because they were interested in the technical specs of the weapons. There will be communities with very different priorities than anyone coming up with a new curriculum.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Republicans have forgotten the phrase "never again".

Ultimate Member

I get that you don't like that I'm a Republican. But you are also criticizing me for not agreeing with you, and for not spending enough time discussing the topics and sources you want to cover.
    No - I am criticizing the Republican Party and pointing out your hypocrisy and inconsistencies in logic regarding their behavior as the state of said political party is an immediate threat to my wellbeing and the rights of many other American citizens, as well as democracy itself.

Just because you selectively choose not to acknowledge or engage said criticisms does not make them invalid but do not misrepresent them just to get others in trouble and/or to boost your own ego.

Arnold Schwarzenegger is a Republican and I don’t criticize him because he actively speaks out against the above issues — the only reason you seem not to understand this is because you are determined to play victim rather than simply addressing said issues in a similar fashion or simply ignoring the criticism the same way you ignore facts you don’t like.

Again -- you don't have to say anything so stop trying to make that an issue.

But don't expect others not to criticize racism, homophobia, fascism or white nationalism just because you "feel" insulted by facts about the Republican party.

Many people are educated but still don't know how to learn.

And it's important to remember that Nazi ideology isn't considered evil by many denizens of the internet -- which is exactly where much of this hatred spreads.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-23-2023 at 07:28 PM.

Why should the media not ignore her?

She bombed in her last presidential campaign, and her other bid for office had her get just over 13 percent in a congressional primary.
    She was in the running longer than the current Vice President, and is talking about attempting to enact some of what FDR never got the chance to.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Republicans have forgotten the phrase "never again".
    No, they haven't. They've just decided it really means that "Never Again....will they fail to finish the job."
    I wish that was more hyperbole than it has become.
    Dark does not mean deep.