Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    I know what he's asking. I'm not an idiot. I said what I said.

As for "illegal means", once the fascists make everything they don't like illegal, including protesting or criticising their policies and actions in any way, once they shut down any and all means of democratic speech, action, or change, people are going to have to do what they have to do. Remember, the Holocaust was legal. Because the Nazis made the laws. Just like they're doing now.
    Only when there is literally no response left but violence will I back it. I don't disagree with how you think things are going, I just don't think we're there yet. Laws making it easier to run over protestors and similar ones to silence dissent are a bad indication, and clearly unjust laws should most definitely be resisted, protested, or broken if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    i appreciate the feedback from everyone, gonna try to be better
    That's reassuring to hear, anger is one thing and can be used productively if not allowed to take over. Hate winds up rotting you from within, and should be resisted and stripped of support at every opportunity as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    Take that "we can't possibly punish Republicans for crimes because they might retaliate!" bull and shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

Especially because what they're doing isn't anywhere close to any of the things GOP morons imagine people on the left do.
    Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    The modern Republican Party. The one you refuse to look at with honest eyes.

Whether that's from an inability to take it in without looking away in horror, or a deliberate need to lie to yourself or others about what it's become...

That's what it's in response to.
    I also believe that failure to punish clear wrongdoing for fear that the GoP (who's already breaking the rules to punish their opponents and those who speak out) will 'weaponize it' isn't a logical plan and will lead to long-term problems like the ones we are seeing today with constant attacks on any checks on the GoP's illegal & immoral actions.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    So a friend who believes big into Robert F. Kennedy and its astounding how bad someone can be as a candidate knowing what we know now of covid and its response. This is from this show.

- Basically claims how wrong it was to close Churches and businesses for a month. Because f-ck spreading covid more. F-ck that noise. We lost our rights to go to church and get more people sick !

- Wants America to project peace and literally is saying we are at War. But lets be honest ....were not at war. We like the European countries are doing is supplying aid to Ukraine and not engaging war.

Claims there was 300,000 Ukraine forces dead. The host asks about this and he tells her he read it and will get her that information.

From December this figure Kennedy speaks of was 100,000 either killed and injured combined for Ukraine.

- Believes the US is wrong to want to force regime change in Russia with this action.

- DAY 1 ... PARDON JULIAN ASSANGE . lol

- But yeah ....its scary this guy is running and 19% of Democrats according to a poll is interested in him.
    I somehow doubt the veracity of polls that have him that high, but it is worrying that this guy isn't laughed out of the race.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    It's really not hard to call out the problem, but most Republicans won't and many of those that do will pretend it's somehow the fault of 'the left'.

They feel bullied, really.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...3df451b06&ei=7
    A big chunk I believe comes from fear of conservative backlash, but if fear stops you from doing what you know is right there are words which describe that. There's no logical reason NOT to do everything possible to change a republican party I chose to continue supporting, if I wanted to be correct rather than on the 'right' side.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The best way to stop this Christian nationalism shit dead in it's tracks would be to start taxing churches. If holy rollers wanna dabble in politics, then they should pay for the privilege.
    Republicans want people and organizations to stay in their lane after all, just look at Disney. The constitution gives everyone freedom of religion and prevents their being an official state religion to ensure that freedom. If churches want to get involved in politics they should pay the entrance fee. Of course the screams of "They're attacking Christianity!" will be heard from coast-to-coast, heedless of how they've been attacking other religions (Sharia Law! Jews will not replace us!) from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I am concerned with it.

I'm responding to the arguments made by people on this forum. There isn't a Republican poster defending the low road.
    The arguments made by people on this forum aren't as important as the ones made by actual policy-makers. Your obsession with definition, policy, and being right should be focused far more on people capable of enacting change rather than "internet hobbyists" you've disparaged on more than one occasion. If you legitimately cared about such things in regards to creation of actual policy and laws, there's no reason not to do everything you can do to influence people who actually have the power to enact change.
    Last edited by Dalak; 05-25-2023 at 06:46 AM.

An interpretation of "any means necessary" is that it would allow assassination, threats of violence, false allegations of sex crimes, hacking, fraud, blackmail and anything else that's currently illegal.

Incidentally, Babylon 5 is pretty solid.
    We celebrate the people who tried to assassinate Hitler, don't we?

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Just saw #DeSaster is trending on Twitter
    Yes, apparently the twitter "space" was a shit hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    The arguments made by people on this forum aren't as important as the ones made by actual policy-makers. Your obsession with definition, policy, and being right should be focused far more on people capable of enacting change rather than "internet hobbyists" you've disparaged on more than one occasion. If you legitimately cared about such things in regards to creation of actual policy and laws, there's no reason not to do everything you can do to influence people who actually have the power to enact change.
    Online forums are different venues than standard political activism.

We can argue just as easily that people here could get more active with the political party they support rather than to complain, but not everyone has the time or skillset for it.

I did vote for the Democratic nominee for President against the Republican incumbent in the previous election due to my concerns with Trump's character flaws. But if I see similar flaws on the left (sloppiness, disregard for policy, personal attacks, pretext, carelessness about facts, etc.) it doesn't make me more inclined to agree with left-wingers. In a public forum, I'll point it out when I see it.

One of the arguments I've seen for the Democratic party is that Democrats act better, and this is why they deserve votes. If behavior here contradicts that argument, I'll point it out as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    We celebrate the people who tried to assassinate Hitler, don't we?
    And is there anyone in the US currently on the same level?
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 05-25-2023 at 09:28 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Online forums are different venues than standard political activism.

We can argue just as easily that people here could get more active with the political party they support rather than to complain, but not everyone has the time or skillset for it.

I did vote for the Democratic nominee for President against the Republican incumbent in the previous election due to my concerns with Trump's character flaws. But if I see similar flaws on the left (sloppiness, disregard for policy, personal attacks, pretext, carelessness about facts, etc.) it doesn't make me more inclined to agree with left-wingers. In a public forum, I'll point it out when I see it.

One of the arguments I've seen for the Democratic party is that Democrats act better, and this is why they deserve votes. If behavior here contradicts that argument, I'll point it out as well.
    Using the behavior of internet hobbists to excuse/handwave the noted behavior of elected officials is a clear double-standard. I've donated and protested and I've admitted when I'm wrong on these boards, so I put my money where my mouth is. I've also signed petitions and called representatives when living in 2 states where I don't expect them to listen to me. I do not suggest others do things I am not willing to do, I also respond to people who've answered my questions and ask me questions without making them jump through hoops or asking that they pay me first.

When you can say the same about all of that without evidence from your own posts making it a lie, we can discuss how posts here compare to the actions of those making policy without it being so hypocritical to do so.

I am really upset that this debt ceiling has not been agreed upon yet. And now they took a time off for a holiday. Dont they know or care how bad it will be for our country if this does not get fixed? The jobs that will be lost, the stock market crashing down. And on a personal note my dad and I get social security. We live check to check and cant go with out. And it is not just us. How many live on social security?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

That's why the word necessary is there.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I am really upset that this debt ceiling has not been agreed upon yet. And now they took a time off for a holiday. Dont they know or care how bad it will be for our country if this does not get fixed? The jobs that will be lost, the stock market crashing down. And on a personal note my dad and I get social security. We live check to check and cant go with out. And it is not just us. How many live on social security?
    Of course the Republicans don't care. This entire refusal to raise it is just them trying to make Biden look bad and be pointlessly cruel to people because they're vile.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Car crashes into Downing Street gates in London

Police in London said on Thursday that they arrested a man after a small passenger car crashed into security gates on Downing Street, home to the prime minister's residence and other government buildings.

"At around 16:20hrs [1520 GMT/UTC] a car collided with the gates of Downing Street on Whitehall," Westminster police said on Twitter. "Armed officers arrested a man at the scene on suspicion on criminal damage and dangerous driving. There are no reports of any injuries. Enquiries are ongoing."

Initial footage of the slow-speed crash did not show any major damage, television cameras captured a gray-haired man being led away by police.

The area is one of the most heavily fortified sites in London, with public access restricted and police guards stationed there round the clock.

It was not clear from the footage whether the crash was intentional. Police said they were working to establish the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    It happened in DC, now in London .... coincidence? Or a pattern?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    And chances are things won’t change when everyone returns on Tuesday. The GQP has made it plain the only way they’ll raise the debt ceiling is if Social Security and benefits to veterans are gutted while refusing to raise taxes on the rich. That tells you all you need to know about where Qpublican priorities are, but yeah, this is all about making Biden look bad, regardless of the terrible damage that will be done to the country.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I got a question-where were these folks when Target was selling gender neutral dolls? In 2019.

https://www.newsweek.com/mattel-crea...target-1461207

All I saw was black ones.

I NEVER saw them at Wal-Mart but I saw them at Target.

Guess what happened? NOBODY bought them. The last time I saw them on shelves at my Target they were on clearance. I want to say right as Covid started.

And Mattel no longer sells them anymore.

Yet I saw no fits thrown.

And the LGBTQA+ stuff I saw it at my Target right near the front door. Nobody threw a fit and went about their business.
    Honestly, Target is being ridiculous by caving into right-wingers here. This isn't a case of Target endorsing anything, they were just selling seasonal merchandise.

Target (like most massive stores) have invested millions in security and they can't protect their workers??? You have guys walk into stores and they harass staff and customers and call them satanists and pedophiles AND THESE are literally the people that Target is giving into. This is stupid and cowardly.

If companies cave into customers that disrupt stuff, then where does it stop? Do they close stores or remove merchandise where people shoplift? Where homeless people come in and try and sleep on the floors?

The guys behind this campaign literally said their goal is to make "pride" toxic, does this mean Target won't sell LGBTIQ themed stuff anymore??
    Last edited by Username taken; 05-25-2023 at 01:30 PM.

Astonishing Member

Oath Keepers leader sentenced to 18 years in jail for his role on the Jan 6th conservative insurrection.

Sending out my thoughts and prayers.

Your preferred pick for the Republican nomination seems determined to try and achieve that level with his current pogrom against trans people.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    That's why the word necessary is there.
    So when would it be necessary?

And how comfortable would you be with a right-winger using this language?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Using the behavior of internet hobbists to excuse/handwave the noted behavior of elected officials is a clear double-standard. I've donated and protested and I've admitted when I'm wrong on these boards, so I put my money where my mouth is. I've also signed petitions and called representatives when living in 2 states where I don't expect them to listen to me. I do not suggest others do things I am not willing to do, I also respond to people who've answered my questions and ask me questions without making them jump through hoops or asking that they pay me first.

When you can say the same about all of that without evidence from your own posts making it a lie, we can discuss how posts here compare to the actions of those making policy without it being so hypocritical to do so.
    My discussions are on a nonpartisan political forum.

We are hobbyists but this doesn't mean we shouldn't treat one another with respect, or strive to be correct. On this particular message board, we should insist on being held to a higher standard. We like comic books, and follow characters who are supposed to be role models who don't mislead, who make good-faith arguments and who would point out when someone on their side is wrong.

An unfortunate reality of modern politics is that it's largely driven by negative polarization. Instead of making arguments in favor of policies, people go and highlight the flaws of the other side. And this means that if you're on a public forum representing yourself as being on the left, if you're a jerk, it may end up driving people the other way, just like Republican assholes elsewhere drive people to the Democratic party (and there are plenty of discussions about conservative civilians.) This is why it's best to treat the other side the way you want them to treat everyone on your side.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."

Consider and reprimand the cause -- Republican obstructionism -- rather than criticizing the effect.

Moreover, there are already right-wing white supremacists out there doing exactly what you seem concerned about others doing in response to Republican actions.
    Do we fail to call out white supremacists who want to change things by any means necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    As my sentence leading up to the article link clearly stated it was banned for elementary school students. And the article made it clear as well. So yes, it is a ban since elementary school students will not be allowed to read it should they so desire.
    Snopes investigated and determined that there's no ban for elementary school students.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2023/05/...da-school-ban/

So the articles suggesting otherwise were wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Your preferred pick for the Republican nomination seems determined to try and achieve that level with his current pogrom against trans people.
    Who are you talking about? I rate Trump on the bottom, but if I prefer someone to him it doesn't mean that person is my top choice.

Though I also am unaware of anyone close to Hitler or even Putin-level evil on the Republican side. And that honestly includes Trump.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 05-25-2023 at 04:59 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets