Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    US is a fabulously rich country. Not just in terms of economic wealth, but in the talent of its people, the beauty of its countryside, its cultural riches, your fertile and bountiful land.

Realistically US has every advantage going.

So how is it possible that it’s got to state that a party you (and many other regular posters here) believe is inherently and obviously evil can hold such significant sway?

(In UK, comparing our Conservatives and US Republicans is telling. Our recent political history is riven with mistakes, a fair amount of greed, and petty corruption. But…as a habitual Labour supporter…I’ve honestly never believed that the average British Conservative is a bad person.)
    The Republican Party and right-wing media have been stoking dissatisfaction and resentment of government and fear of social change for over 20 years. As nearly all populist strongmen (or women in the case of Italy) do, Trump rose in prominence through primarily anti-government and anti-immigrant rhetoric. DeSantis is following the same script while leaning heavily on the insecurity and confusion in the GOP base caused by changes in race relations and gender identity.
    Of the two, I think Trump is the greatest threat since he has an organization working on his behalf to recruit and immediately replace a large sector of government employees with hard core MAGA people should he win the election in 2024. That isn’t the kind of effort one makes if they’re only planning to be in office for four years. I believe Trumps intention is to follow Orban and Putin and go full autocrat.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    The Republican Party and right-wing media have been stoking dissatisfaction and resentment of government and fear of social change for over 20 years. As nearly all populist strongmen (or women in the case of Italy) do, Trump rose in prominence through primarily anti-government and anti-immigrant rhetoric. DeSantis is following the same script while leaning heavily on the insecurity and confusion in the GOP base caused by changes in race relations and gender identity.
    Of the two, I think Trump is the greatest threat since he has an organization working on his behalf to recruit and immediately replace a large sector of government employees with hard core MAGA people should he win the election in 2024. That isn’t the kind of effort one makes if they’re only planning to be in office for four years. I believe Trumps intention is to follow Orban and Putin and go full autocrat.
    I mean, Jan 6th made it pretty clear that's exactly what he wants.

So now Lauren (Bim)bobert is attacking North Face for doing an ad with a drag queen. She essentially refers to all LGBT+ people as degenerates and is now threatening the company with treating them like she and her diseased vermin colleagues did with Bud Light. Article Link

I wish someone would explain to her about the pot calling the kettle black.

Let's see...fake christian, married to a guy who is a sex offender and apparently beat his kid if reports (with audio clips of the 911 calls) are to be believed. Has a son who knocked up a 15-year-old and she trumpets it as some great achievement and consistently reveals herself to be one of the dumbest people to ever be elected to office. And that's saying something. And let's not forget those rumors (never proven to be true but where there's smoke, fire eventually follows) that she fucked Ted Cruz.

So I guess she would be the world's foremost degenerate then, right?
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Well, yes. The U.S. Constitution has been called the greatest document of freedom of all time. Yet it enshrined enslaving a significant portion of the population. So even on our best day, human beings are still saying it's okay for some of us to enslave some of us. What does that say about human nature?
    This is beside the point on human nature, but the constitution didn't really say anything about slavery.

Concerns in southern states that judges might interpret it as an anti-slavery document contributed to an understanding that the constitution only applied to the federal government and not the states. That came to an end with the fourteenth amendment, which established that the right to due process of law and equal protection of the law now applied to both the federal and state governments.

Human nature is often terrible, but the constitution passes this test.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    You forgot pedantry.

But I'd argue DeSantis isn't even a moderate in presentation. His campaign announcement was painfully online right-wing radical.
    Who said that DeSantis is a moderate?

You're not the first guy to have this interpretation of statements.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    This is beside the point on human nature, but the constitution didn't really say anything about slavery.

Concerns in southern states that judges might interpret it as an anti-slavery document contributed to an understanding that the constitution only applied to the federal government and not the states. That came to an end with the fourteenth amendment, which established that the right to due process of law and equal protection of the law now applied to both the federal and state governments.

Human nature is often terrible, but the constitution passes this test.

Oh come on, you're the one who said he was someone a moderate Republican could vote for. Let's not play games here.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    I mean, Jan 6th made it pretty clear that's exactly what he wants.
    At the very least it showed without any doubt that without remorse he is willing to sacrifice democracy and human lives to obtain or retain power.
    The thought of Trump regaining the Presidency with a government full of united, dedicated MAGA followers and a Congress, Senate, and SCOTUS packed with opportunists and sympathizers makes me physically ill. Our country would be well and truly f$&ked. Noe exaggeration.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Extraordinary Member

Oh, you did…

…or at least you tried obfuscating enough as part of your “quid pro quo” hope to trick moderates into voting for a virulent Trump With Mildly Better Caution so that you can get whatever pet-policy goals you have passed, while understanding that you’ll be sacrificing the rights, freedoms and security of others because you don’t care.

Because ultimately, you know you can’t win an intellectually honest debate, and you know you don’t actually have ethical arguments to make anymore, and you know the politicians you want to execute your goals have strapped themselves into indefensible positions… and you’re too scared of the mild possibility of being mildly inconvenienced or discomfited by slightly more left-wing politicians you’ve found yourself just trying to muddy the waters.

Like, sometimes you write a small amount of honest, observant statements, and when it’s in a short post, it’s more likely to just be that… but in longer posts, or as part of longer posts, you try making honest words do dishonest work out of, I don’t know, fear that a small increase in your taxes could happen, or that some fiction you find yourself clinging to (like Reaganomics or some kind of still nationalistic version of Christianity, I don’t know) could be disproven.

It’s why it’s not really worth addressing you accept for fun and engaging with others most times now - your posts do not include enough consistency or clarity to argue with.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Oh come on, you're the one who said he was someone a moderate Republican could vote for. Let's not play games here.
    I'm not playing games.

I said that I consider voting for him over Biden, who seems to be a typical Democrat.

I later said that he had to get the votes of moderate Republicans.

This doesn't mean that he is a moderate.

I'm astonished that I have to explain this but a political candidate can get the votes of moderates within their party without being a moderate.

If someone here were to say that AOC or whoever could possibly get the votes of moderate Democrats in a presidential election against a generic Republican, it doesn't mean that she is a moderate.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Oh, you did…

…or at least you tried obfuscating enough as part of your “quid pro quo” hope to trick moderates into voting for a virulent Trump With Mildly Better Caution so that you can get whatever pet-policy goals you have passed, while understanding that you’ll be sacrificing the rights, freedoms and security of others because you don’t care.

Because ultimately, you know you can’t win an intellectually honest debate, and you know you don’t actually have ethical arguments to make anymore, and you know the politicians you want to execute your goals have strapped themselves into indefensible positions… and you’re too scared of the mild possibility of being mildly inconvenienced or discomfited by slightly more left-wing politicians you’ve found yourself just trying to muddy the waters.

Like, sometimes you write a small amount of honest, observant statements, and when it’s in a short post, it’s more likely to just be that… but in longer posts, or as part of longer posts, you try making honest words do dishonest work out of, I don’t know, fear that a small increase in your taxes could happen, or that some fiction you find yourself clinging to (like Reaganomics or some kind of still nationalistic version of Christianity, I don’t know) could be disproven.

It’s why it’s not really worth addressing you accept for fun and engaging with others most times now - your posts do not include enough consistency or clarity to argue with.
    Since you're making personal comments about me, please quote the post in which I said that DeSantis is a moderate.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I'm not playing games.

I said that I consider voting for him over Biden, who seems to be a typical Democrat.

I later said that he had to get the votes of moderate Republicans.

This doesn't mean that he is a moderate.

I'm astonished that I have to explain this but a political candidate can get the votes of moderates within their party without being a moderate.

If someone here were to say that AOC or whoever could possibly get the votes of moderate Democrats in a presidential election against a generic Republican, it doesn't mean that she is a moderate.
    No, they really can't. You cannot call yourself a moderate Republican and then support a candidate who spews anti-lgbtq garbage just about every time he opens his mouth.

AOC on the otherhand doesn't have that kind of negative aspect that would cause someone who wasn't that far left to object to.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 05-26-2023 at 05:44 PM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Ultimate Member

https://us.yahoo.com/entertainment/m...181502186.html

So the lady (who is of Cuban origin) that complained about the "The Hill We Climb" poem and got it restricted has been posting anti-semitic memes online.

Why am I not surprised?

Although I will say the anti-blackness and general racism from some Hispanics of Cuban origin is troubling.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    No, they really can't. You cannot call yourself a moderate Republican and then support a candidate who spews anti-lgbtq garbage just about every time he opens his mouth.

AOC on the otherhand doesn't have that kind of negative aspect that would cause someone who wasn't that far left to object to.
    What has DeSantis said that is so extreme that no moderate Republican should consider voting for him over Biden?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Why do you guys still bother engaging?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Sealioning (also sea-lioning and sea lioning) is a type of trolling or harassment that consists of pursuing people with RELENTLESS REQUESTS FOR EVIDENCE, often tangential or PREVIOUSLY ADDRESSED, while maintaining a pretense of civility and sincerity ("I'm just trying to have a debate"), and feigning ignorance of the subject matter.

As expected these diversions from the facts are just that, since this is a distinction I have clarified ad-nauseum. If you want to discuss biology there's none of that attached, and if you want to discuss a boy/girl/other gender they were clear how they answered - TheWeek calls them all girls in both cases.

Considering a T-Shirt has you believing that Dems across the USA secretly support open borders, you are not one to talk here.

Employees have no influence over what the company sells/does/insures/advertises as long as it's legal, and there is no honest argument these products are that. At-Will employment is a bitch, and Hobby Lobby sued for the right to give no shits what it's employees preferred - and won.
    I missed this post a few days ago, but you seem to describe the article incorrectly.

https://theweek.com/life/1006253/the...er-trans-teens

The article refers to the experiences of "students brought up as girls" and clarifies a description of the views of the author of a paper.

When Lisa Littman, a behavioral science professor at Brown University, published a paper suggesting that gender dysphoria among teen girls might be attributable in part to "social contagion" and underlying psychological issues, she said she met with a "strategy of harassment and intimidation" from trans activists.
    I can understand people claiming that an obscure Democratic operative wearing a shirt about how love has no borders is exaggerated and that it's worth mentioning years later to someone who noticed. Except it was a guy who was at the time #4 in House Leadership and Vice-Chairman of the DNC, after a unanimous vote. This is someone who many prominent Democrats wanted to be a voice for the party. The context had been in noting that Democrats don't have a limiting principle when it comes to immigration, and that still hasn't been articulated.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Why do you guys still bother engaging?
    I think it's possible to understand where other people are coming from.

So we should make an effort.

In order to win elections, you do need the votes of people who won't support every candidate for your party over every candidate of the other party.

I understand that I'm here for something that other people might not be. I want to discuss politics with rational people who have a variety of views, to develop my own understanding.

Some people here don't care about. They want to vent. They want to complain to people who have very similar frames of reference, without getting called out when they go a little over the top trying to signal their real views.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 05-26-2023 at 06:53 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1662261873683595264

Let's remember, the 'controversy' is gay people existing.

bombs2.jpg

bombs.jpg