Page 3770 of 3770 FirstFirst ... 2770327036703720376037663767376837693770
Results 56,536 to 56,543 of 56543
  1. #56536
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Arizona election law requires a higher signature threshold to get on the ballot than registered party members. Sinema has to get 45,000K signatures from independents. It's going to be hard to find people to do that given how she's voted the past four years in the Senate, that she's openly bisexual and that might turn off right-leaning independents, and the left sure as hell isn't down with her cosplaying a Senator.

    She might not make it back on the ballot for 2024 at all.
    So, assuming she's not simply batshit crazy, what's her plan?

  2. #56537
    Invincible Jersey Ninja Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    30,686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    So, assuming she's not simply batshit crazy, what's her plan?
    One theory

    The answer is likely related to her 2024 prospects.

    To put it mildly, Sinema has not endeared herself to Democrats in her home state. Earlier this year, Data For Progress polled Arizona Democrats and found the incumbent senator trailing Gallego in a hypothetical primary match-up, 74% to 16%. That’s not a typo: She actually trailed the popular congressman by 58 points.

    With this in mind, Sinema very likely realized that she had a decision to make: She could (a) retire; (b) take steps to repair the relationship with the Democratic voters who elected her in the first place; or (c) take her chances as an independent.

    As a tactical matter, settling on the third option makes sense. Sinema was very likely to lose a Democratic primary, her voting record made a run as a Republican implausible, and she didn’t want to walk away from Capitol Hill altogether. Becoming an independent is a sensible strategy.

    Indeed, it’s not unrealistic to think it might very well save her career. Democrats will likely think twice about running a candidate against her in 2024, fearing that splitting the center-left mainstream could leave the seat in Republican hands. Sinema’s announcement probably won’t dramatically alter the makeup of the Senate, but if it neutralizes an electoral threat, it’ll give the senator what she’s looking for: a re-election edge she wouldn’t otherwise have.

    But as the political world digests the news, it’s also worth pausing to appreciate Sinema’s bizarre ideological trajectory. In the Bush/Cheney era, she was a liberal activist and failed Green Party candidate who railed against then-Sen. Joe Lieberman as a “pathetic” sellout.

    Twenty years later, Sinema has done exactly what Lieberman did: become an independent while caucusing with Senate Democrats
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

  3. #56538
    Ultimate Member Tendrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    So, assuming she's not simply batshit crazy, what's her plan?
    "Nice seat you've got here, be a shame if the Democrats ran someone and we lost it in a three way race."

    Sinema's god-awful at basic politics but she is perfectly willing to tank the country to bolster her political fortunes.

  4. #56539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    So, assuming she's not simply batshit crazy, what's her plan?
    Seems like it's "try and be the center of attention as loud and as long as realistically possible".

    Because she has no interest in helping Arizonans anymore. She spent an entire Senate recess not meeting with constituents, but learning how to make wine in Sonoma.

    Y'know, like self-declared blue-collar "maverick" politicians do.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  5. #56540
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    28,610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Seems like it's "try and be the center of attention as loud and as long as realistically possible".

    Because she has no interest in helping Arizonans anymore. She spent an entire Senate recess not meeting with constituents, but learning how to make wine in Sonoma.

    Y'know, like self-declared blue-collar "maverick" politicians do.
    Someone on Twitter said Krazy Krysten was “cosplaying as a senator”, and that description fits like a glove. From where I sit, it’s all about attention for Sinema, about being in the limelight masquerading as a “maverick” instead of helping her constituents, making her the worst sort of fraud who cheated the people she had been elected to help.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  6. #56541
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    10,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Someone on Twitter said Krazy Krysten was “cosplaying as a senator”, and that description fits like a glove. From where I sit, it’s all about attention for Sinema, about being in the limelight masquerading as a “maverick” instead of helping her constituents, making her the worst sort of fraud who cheated the people she had been elected to help.
    That's the thing, there's an assload of "look at me" clowns running around nowadays.

    From Musk to Kanye to Synema, it's all about the "me" of it all. Once they fall out of the spotlight and prominence (like Krysten would have with the democratic majority in the senate), they do everything they can to get it back.

    That's besides Synema basically being a plant for big business and upper-class concerns. She literally has no real position on anything besides doing everything she can to protect her lobbyists.

  7. #56542
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    996

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I figured it was nothing. But the way she is going on about emails and Tweets that prove the FBI stole the election I thought there was more to it then the nude picture thing. She is making it sound like he is releasing hundreds of tweets and emails and stuff.
    This might be what she means. https://twitter.com/TomFitton/status...DTjc_nnLksAAAA

  8. #56543
    Ultimate Member Malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Freeville, NY
    Posts
    11,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    That's the thing, there's an assload of "look at me" clowns running around nowadays.

    From Musk to Kanye to Synema, it's all about the "me" of it all. Once they fall out of the spotlight and prominence (like Krysten would have with the democratic majority in the senate), they do everything they can to get it back.

    That's besides Synema basically being a plant for big business and upper-class concerns. She literally has no real position on anything besides doing everything she can to protect her lobbyists.
    Oh exactly. It's all about attention. I mean, would Kanye be acting like this if he were still with Kim Kardashian? I don't know, but ever since she dumped him, he's been extremely thirsty. And Elon thought simply buying Twitter would get him back to the top of the Google searches when his space trip didn't. And of course it is curious that Synema makes her announcement less than a week after Warnock's Senate victory.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •