Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    They voted *for the racism*, and I think a lot of Americans let down their guard about how powerful that appeal still is to a lot of peopel who see race relations as zero sum.
    There are a lot of people who think that racism is over and we're a long way from slavery when we actually aren't. Harriet Tubman died in 1913, my grandmother was born in 1940. Equality is only seen as a zero sum game because of the hyper competitive capitalist culture we live in. We're so busy fighting each other for a "seat at the table" we don't stop to ask why the table's so small in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    This is true.

The thing is, the people voting for Trump know exactly what he is. However, he’s given a voice to a lot of people that felt “excluded” (for good or for bad).

And given his improved performance in terms of raw vote count, he’s converted a lot of people onto side. The issue is that an even greater majority of people don’t agree with him or his behavior. Racism, recklessness and belligerence aren’t endearing qualities. And because of the electoral college, the country’s policy and direction could be determined by a minority of the population.
    Racist people definitely feel more empowered with Trump in office. Look at the rise of Karens and the movements like what happened in Charlottesville, VA back in 2017.

But I digress, I am not saying everyone who voted for Trump is a racist or horrible person. Some friends I know support Trump and they are nice people (we just greatly disagree on Trump). The sun will come up tomorrow or whenever we get a clear winner. I just hope the next four years are better somehow.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    Trump doesn't care about poor or lower class folks, doesn't really care about people of color either. His support base is predominantly white America and I am not sure how they feel forgotten about or not supported. Like what???

But there is a good number of people of color that support him too for some weird reason.
    We need to understand something, black people are very socially conservative.

A number of black people have always voted Republican. It’s not been a huge number but it’s always been there.

The mistake politicians and the media make nowadays is thinking that minorities are one large monolithic group. It doesn’t work like that.

BANNED

To reiterate, let's wait for the dust to settle before starting out the post-mortem.

Because reading some of this stuff is uncomfortable where people are blaming minority voters and scapegoating them...not what y'all intend I think, but that's what it reads like. Not pointing fingers here but it's what I see.

Let's calm down. Wait for the dust to settle. That's not so hard.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    They voted *for the racism*, and I think a lot of Americans let down their guard about how powerful that appeal still is to a lot of peopel who see race relations as zero sum.
    That's because, despite what we want to believe, race relations ARE still largely zero sum in this country. The wealth of white America was largely built off of the backs of the rest of us, and can only be maintained through continuing that system of oppression. As much as the thought of racism might disgust people, that comfortable upper middle class suburban lifestyle doesn't happen without exploiting cheap labor and resources from every corner of the globe. And opening the door for minority Americans to enjoy that kind of life isn't really a solution either, because that just means that an even greater number of people need to suffer to support them as well. Meaningful equality in this country would necessarily mean that the lives of a large number of powerful and influential people would get much worse - basic goods we take for granted would be much more expensive, privileged kids wouldn't be able to sequester themselves into fancy private schools and would have to compete for the same limited educational resources as everyone else, rich people would have to wait in line for medical procedures along with everyone else instead of being able to pay to skip the queue, and something we don't think about much, Americans would have to endure the same kind of humiliating checks and processes to live and work abroad that we impose on people trying to come here. And that is just the tip of the iceberg, we haven't even started talking about the necessary measures we need to take to redress the damages caused by centuries of discrimination. Equality doesn't mean we all just get to go to brunch, it means that a lot of people will have to make some meaningful sacrifices and show that they are actually committed to putting their ideals into action, is anyone ready for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    To reiterate, let's wait for the dust to settle before starting out the post-mortem.

Because reading some of this stuff is uncomfortable where people are blaming minority voters and scapegoating them...not what y'all intend I think, but that's what it reads like. Not pointing fingers here but it's what I see.

Let's calm down. Wait for the dust to settle. That's not so hard.
    True I apologize if I offended anyone with my posts. Not my intention at all since I am also black or a person of color.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    There are a lot of people who think that racism is over and we're a long way from slavery when we actually aren't. Harriet Tubman died in 1913, my grandmother was born in 1940. Equality is only seen as a zero sum game because of the hyper competitive capitalist culture we live in. We're so busy fighting each other for a "seat at the table" we don't stop to ask why the table's so small in the first place.
    The people in my life that have told me slavery is in the past and to get over it have all tended to have confederate flags and say dumb **** like the south will rise again.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

whatever the final results end up being, "Trumpism" is now the defining element of the conservative culture. the racial animus, gender bias, anti-lgbt hostility..
    warped narratives amplified by FOX and a truly ghastly interpretation of Christianity that values white nationalism above the gospel of Jesus.

I have zero interest in "Pollyana" essays from pundits of whatever kind, even those who are well-meaning. I'm not interested in "beer summits" to hear out "the other side", and so forth. The economic anxiety of my community isn't respected like it it for white people. As far as I'm concerned, MAGA-voters gave the quadruple middle-finger to BIPOC folks.. Just like in 2016, they have proven to be able to compartmentalize to an obscene degree and/or are comfortable in being plain dimwitted and defiantly ignorant.

Moving to another country during a pandemic isn't an option.. but I'm not interested in 'Murica anymore. not at all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KOSLOX View Post
    The people in my life that have told me slavery is in the past and to get over it have all tended to have confederate flags and say dumb **** like the south will rise again.
    Its interesting that a lot of African Americans are always told to get over slavery but noone tells Jews ....at least right to their faces to get over the Holocaust.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    This election is both stressful and sad. I can't believe most americans still think Trump is a good president after all that has happened this year alone. Honesty, it seems it would take a divine miracle for Joe to win this thing. At least the state I live in ( Virginia) stayed blue.

Yes, I know not everyone who voted for Trump is a bad person, but it just boggles my mind as to why they support him SMH.
    It's not that surprising. Trump appeals to a sect of Americans that had largely been ignored by both Democrats and Republicans for many years. And again, I think this says more about how people feel about Biden versus how they feel about Trump.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Hmm..Trump is still maintaining a narrow lead in Michigan.

Are they still counting the mail in ballots?
    Just flipped to Biden a few minutes ago. This is getting cloooooose.

Ultimate Member

Biden now leads in Michigan.

We’re almost there boys.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Just flipped to Biden a few minutes ago. This is getting cloooooose.
    You beat me by a few seconds ��

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Its interesting that a lot of African Americans are always told to get over slavery but noone tells Jews ....at least right to their faces to get over the Holocaust.
    We could at least tell them to stop using it for political purposes though, such as slaughtering Palestinians.