Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by ShutUpLutz View Post
    The GOP and Conservatives:

Do not like blacks.

Do not like hispanics.

Do not like minorities.

Do not like Jews, except as they can be used against Islam.

Do not like Muslims.

Do not like women.

Loathe and want to exterminate all the gays and lesbians and trans and disabled.

Don't give a **** about the environment except for how much of it they can exploit and use to make money. LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF MONEY.

Do not like have as many people vote as possible. What they want is some batshit crazy Rube Goldbergian series of tests, exams and machinations that anyone who isn't white and male and Christian must negotiate PERFECTLY without a single misstep or erasure or "um" only to arrive at the final question which is: "How many bubbles are there in a bar of soap?"
    The Religious Nut Wing of the GOP (and those manipulating the Religious Nut Wing) also support Jews because Revelations said Armageddon and the following Happy Kingdom can't happen if Jews don't occupy The Lands Yahweh Gave Them. Nevermind they're pretty heavily misreading the story...

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    It’s the same as asking us to “unite” with neo Nazis. Or the party that won’t denounce them. Or the cops that will kill you. Or meet a protest about your excessive use of force with, excessive use of force.

It doesn’t work. And we shouldn’t do it. Or be asked to.
    It's why I'm kind of mystified when I see people talking about how divided we are as a country, or how partisan or whatever. I feel like from Clinton to Obama and down the line, the Democrats have consistently tried to "reach across the aisle" and find compromise -- to the dismay of the left and disadvantage of the general populace, mind you -- while Republicans have taken glee in giving a finger to all that noise. Consistently. So, I don't know how any reasonable person thinks it is on everybody or "both sides", that we are divided. I don't know how it's possible to work with people who refuse to work with you.

Besides which, I also think that feeling like we are "more divided than ever" just ignores our history of slavery, genocide, imperialism, xenophobia, and oppression based on gender, sexual orientation, and religion. Not saying things aren't bad, but let's not paint the past with rose colored glasses.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

The GOP are actively campaigning against racial justice issues, LGBTQ rights (which are human rights, of course), immigrant rights, and are anti-diversity and griping about "multiculturalism".

It's a white nationalist party, at this point, make no mistake. The last folks who weren't like Rob Portman and Pat Toomey are heading for the exits for a reason.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

PHYSICIAN/PSYCHIATRIST WAKANDA FOREVER!'s Avatar

Keep your eyes peeled for the Whataboutism Dirty Bombs or The Both Sides Cruise missiles!

Trump took so much glee in his executive orders and not having to work with Congress. womp womp

Live By The Sharpie, Die By The Ballpoint ― Much Of Trump’s Legacy Undone In Days

Trump’s failure to codify his preferred policies through legislation, relying instead on a black Sharpie marker to scrawl his signature onto executive actions and then show them off for the cameras, left them vulnerable to Biden’s signature on countermanding orders. And so far, the new president has signed dozens of them ― albeit with a ballpoint pen and less flourish, but every bit as effective ― wiping out much of Trump’s “legacy” in a matter of days.
    Last edited by Robotman; 01-25-2021 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Let's make no mistake, this is the Republican Party. Not comprable to some fringe lefties who vote for Democrats. The official GOP. There is one Party of extremists and one centrist Party. The country cannot survive with the GOP in power.
    I was just saying that yesterday but I get "Oh please" like I somehow imagined the last 20 years of U.S. politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Do any of them actually love America? It doesn't seem like it.

I try to figure this one out, and I cannot find one single aspect of modern day america that they actually like, let alone love.
    Well many of them seem to love the "heritage" of Southern America quite a bit.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 01-25-2021 at 06:33 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    It's why I'm kind of mystified when I see people talking about how divided we are as a country, or how partisan or whatever. I feel like from Clinton to Obama and down the line, the Democrats have consistently tried to "reach across the aisle" and find compromise -- to the dismay of the left and disadvantage of the general populace, mind you -- while Republicans have taken glee in giving a finger to all that noise. Consistently. So, I don't know how any reasonable person thinks it is on everybody or "both sides", that we are divided. I don't know how it's possible to work with people who refuse to work with you.

Besides which, I also think that feeling like we are "more divided than ever" just ignores our history of slavery, genocide, imperialism, xenophobia, and oppression based on gender, sexual orientation, and religion. Not saying things aren't bad, but let's not paint the past with rose colored glasses.
    The key to winning a battle or the war is to at least offer a hand or a seat at the table to try to work things out. As long as the other side refuses-you come off looking better because at least you appeared to be TRYING to offer help.

We are more divided than every because more folks are asking for a seat at the table.

Because the exclusion of folks is a COSTLY thing.

Folks are now questioning everything.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The key to winning a battle or the war is to at least offer a hand or a seat at the table to try to work things out. As long as the other side refuses-you come off looking better because at least you appeared to be TRYING to offer help.

We are more divided than every because more folks are asking for a seat at the table.

Because the exclusion of folks is a COSTLY thing.

Folks are now questioning everything.
    I understand but the GOP sees the desire for cooperation as a weakness to be exploited. They're not interested in making the process work for average Americans.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Wasn't he a likely candidate to run for president in 2024?

Then again, him winning the primaries would have made his party the "Cotton picking GOP".

I'll go get my coat.
    He's a small-state senator who hasn't been a blip in the admittedly premature 2024 primary polls.

He's a likely candidate, but not a frontrunner.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    So he has nothing to lose if he votes to impeach. Also, if things play out right for him, he might have a shot at running for Governor of Ohio in 2022, or president in 2024.
    Running for Governor seems unlikely.

There is a Republican incumbent who is reasonably popular up in 2022. It would also require more fundraising and campaigning than getting reelected to the Senate.

Portman was one of the finalists for Romney's running mate, so he is willing to go for national office. But politicians tend to do well enough running for office as incumbent Senators.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Breaking: Republican Sen. Rob Portman of Ohio will not run for re-election when his current term ends in 2022.

Might be worth it for the Ohio Democrats to make a run for his seat in 2022. Ohio already has 1 Democratic Senator, maybe they can make it two?
    This is probably the best chance ambitious Ohio Democrats have of winning statewide office for some time. They need Republicans to screw up, either by nominating an idiot like Jim Jordan or by having a bland candidate torpedo his or her reputation competing with a Jordan for right-wing voters. Both are possibilities.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    LOL!

I had that in my lineup for Friday.

Excellent.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    On the extremists among Bernie's supporters: as has been pointed out by myself and now numberthirty Bernie is never going to be President. So whatever feelings they had or behavior they engaged in (or whatever behavior their opponents engaged in), or whatever grudges you might be holding onto from the '16 or '20 Primaries it's not worth holding onto. Extremists are going to be extremists, and they're going to remain on the fringe. Memes are not going to change that.
    I'm not going to ignore what happened amongst Bernie's base just because they lost, it's troubling how many on the left are ok normalising what they did and didn't lift a finger when it mattered. The memes are part of how they were radicalised. It's incredibly irresponsible to not learn from the past when peoples lives were in danger from extremists. The fringe don't have to be mainstream to be dangerous. QUanon were murdering people long before they attacked the Capitol.

This isn't about free speech, it's about trying to stop radicalisation, not normalising abuse and protecting people from being attacked simply because they disagree with someone over a candidate. Just because you can't be bothered looking into why Bernie Bros are bad doesn't stop others from doing this, it's not like there weren't numerous articles about that group over the years examining how they come to be and what they do.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...e-dirtbag-left

When Mr. Sanders’s supporters swarm someone online, they often find multiple access points to that person’s life, compiling what can amount to investigative dossiers. They will attack all public social media accounts, posting personal insults that might flow in by the hundreds. Some of the missives are direct threats of violence, which can be reported to Twitter or Facebook and taken down.

More commonly, there is a barrage of jabs and threats sometimes framed as jokes. If the target is a woman, and it often is, these insults can veer toward her physical appearance.
    The memes are a symptom, not the disease. I'm not sure what they should do about the memes but they needed to do something rather than nothing. Does someone have to die before it has to be believed? We got stalking, doxxing, death threats, destroying businesses. It got so bad Democratic staffers hired security to protect themselves.

Moving the goal posts. The left really does a terrible job of self policing their bad actors, it's disgraceful. If it was as bad as you're claiming that wouldn't have stopped them being relevant. Care to name when Democratic officials and politicians were threatened by the Obama Boys? Because that happen with the Bernie Bros. I didn't say there weren't bad actors with other candidates. None of those are the equivalent to what the Bernie Bros did. Wow. If the Bernie Bros did get any "harder" we'd have people being murdered by them. The only thing Bernie didn't play "hard" enough with was learning how to play the game politically. Not everything in politics should be accepted blindly, there are things in politics which shouldn't be normalised.

On the election being a blowout and Biden flipping red states, I'd again argue it was less about excitement for Biden (I like the guy, but let's be honest) and more about excitement at the prospect of voting Trump out of office. Saying Biden's bland and middle-of-the-road and not very exciting is only a knock if you buy into popularity being an important part of being a competent President. As stated before, I don't think it is (beyond getting people to let you do the job). I can't prove that I'm correct that it was more about Trump than Biden, and I'm sure people much more intelligent and knowledgeable about these matters are going to have differing opinions. Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here.
    Sure.

On the narrative that Trump was easy to defeat, my answer is he should have been in '16. He had no qualifications, he turned off Evangelicals and fiscal conservatives who literally had no idea how or if he'd govern. Most held their noses and hoped he'd give them a tax cut and maybe a Supreme Court Justice or two. It was a gamble that paid off for them. I believe if Biden had run in '16 he would have handily defeated him. Again, not because of popularity but because he wasn't weighed down by tons of baggage like Clinton and Trump were and because he's competent and (when at 100%) likeable enough.
    Still continuing the narrative that Trump was easy to defeat. Ignoring the fact Hillary had more than 3 million votes than Trump and Bernie.

1. And?
    2. That's a privileged position to take for someone who hasn't been on the other side of a Bernie Bro.
    3. And?
    4. I didn't say we should do that, but we shouldn't just normalise the bad actors in our groups and let them attack whoever they want with impunity and not learn from history. This isn't about changing minds, this is about not allowing bad actors to radicalise others and contain them. Not give them a blank check on what they're doing. Do you think the Republicans shouldn't have done anything about the Trumpers when they got out of hand? Because that's being sold as what the Democrats should be doing with the Bernie Bros when they harass other candidates voters and party officials.

I really don't get the leftist idea that something bad happened in the past so we should just pretend it never happened and learn nothing from it. That's a conservative stance on politics. Leftists are supposed to be about progressive, in theory. Progress moves things forward, not ignoring the past.

That's just calling a spade a spade, how can we try to solve a problem when the problem isn't acknowledged? The worst people don't stop doing that by describing them wrong as if they weren't doing something bad. They do A and B anyway, they're not there for a conversation they're there to attack and be abusive anyone who is a Bernie supporter. You don't get bad people to stop by doing nothing or just agreeing with what they're doing - that makes it worse. It's irritating how you go back and forth on the Bernie Bros being a thing, find a lane and stick to it. This isn't a theoretical exercise.

Moving the goal posts, this is about the Bernie Bros and how the memes relate to them. I suggest you do more research into who the Bernie Bros are because they're not your friends, they're the kind of leftists who would be ok with the 6th had the people responsible been leftists. This isn't about "differing opinions," don't be patronising. Bernie Bros weren't "challenging" anyone's beliefs they were openly attacking and abusing people. Including politicians.

This one made me pause and go "What the ****?!"

Trump fans file suit to block Biden's executive orders and rerun election

Spectacular Member

I post on a Disney board, one of our favorite places to vacation in Florida. When I suggest that going to a theme park during a global pandemic might not be healthy... the try to teach me new swears.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I'm sorry for the state of my state, WBE.