A Subway Rider Confronted Unmasked Police Officers. They Kicked Him Out.

A New York City police officer grabs a male commuter by his jacket and pushes him through an emergency exit door at a subway station in Manhattan, video posted to social media shows. “You’re being disruptive,” the officer tells him.

The man in the 35-second video clip — which has garnered more than one million views and ushered in a fresh wave of criticism of the police — said in an interview that the confrontation erupted when he asked the officer and his partner to put on masks.

Andrew Gilbert, 27, said he had just gotten off the train on his way to work at around 8:45 a.m. on Tuesday when he approached two officers at the Eighth Street subway station in Manhattan who were not wearing masks and asked them to put them on, in accordance with the rules.

The M.T.A. requires masks to be worn inside subway stations and on trains, and the Police Department requires officers to wear face coverings in public transit settings.
    “The male officer sort of started playing dumb with me, saying, like, ‘I can’t hear what you’re saying through your mask,’” Mr. Gilbert said on Wednesday.

The back-and-forth continued for about a minute, Mr. Gilbert said, before the officer shoved him about 80 feet backward and pushed him out of the exit door. “If you’re not going to ride the train, just get out,” Mr. Gilbert said the officer told him.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

The Netflix walkout happened today and....well it became a wild scene.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/net...ic-1235093535/

The clash with a couple Youtubers is shown online where I agree with anyone's right to protest peacefully ...the moment it goes beyond that it needs to stop. At one point a Chappelle supporter who had a sign (which yes he was there to stir the pot ) had his sign smashed and then they start yelling "He has a weapon !" is not a safe moment. (its online and not the article)

Because not only could this create a rush of people on this person causing possible violence it also could if police was there have this person shot believing someone was there acting violently. As the video online shows he wasn't beyond supporting Chappelle.

Either way support anyones free speech. But the trying to incite violence on someone...not a good touch.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post

The clash with a couple Youtubers is shown online where I agree with anyone's right to protest peacefully ...the moment it goes beyond that it needs to stop. At one point a Chappelle supporter who had a sign (which yes he was there to stir the pot ) had his sign smashed and then they start yelling "He has a weapon !" is not a safe moment. (its online and not the article)

Because not only could this create a rush of people on this person causing possible violence it also could if police was there have this person shot believing someone was there acting violently. As the video online shows he wasn't beyond supporting Chappelle.

Either way support anyones free speech. But the trying to incite violence on someone...not a good touch.
    Somewhere, Chappelle was watching that debacle and laughing his ass off, happier than a pig in slop over the chaos he fomented with his act.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post

One guy's minor grumble...

That is obviously not a "Freedom Of Speech..." issue.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Somewhere, Chappelle was watching that debacle and laughing his ass off, happier than a pig in slop over the chaos he fomented with his act.
    I'm pretty sure he will use the person screaming REPENT MOTHERF---ker to the Chappelle fan repeatedly. The scene could have went real bad...but that was funny. Its gonna become a meme of course.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I don't think that's his view.

We have to be able to assess tradeoffs, and to consider risks accurately.
    That is the sentiment:

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    They do take all necessary precautions their particular means allow. Why alledge they aren’t?
    We’re all aware that being vaccinated doesn’t necessarily prevent all people from infection. It does lessen the viral load once infected and lessens the severity of the symptoms which means less coughing and sneezing, both of which mean less likelihood of transmission in public spaces. The lessening of symptoms also means less people in the hospital which, coincidentally is where many at risk people with severe diseases spend a lot of their time. Children with cancer for instance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xheight View Post
    Because it is about sympathy? patented nonsense. To each according to their risk, I didn't and don't expect low mortality young adults to think of me when rates were high and I stayed home, wore a mask and waited for a vaccine. That is simply self reliant reality. Just as It doesn't matter to me if someone someone doesn't wear their mask properly or at all. Some don't have the layers of protection and that too is a reality, like the under 12 and the immune suppressed or the high risk. I don't allege that they aren't taking precautions when you turn and around a lay out a bunch of scenarios were people are getting infected because they are in high risk. All I am saying is that those at risk are and will be at risk until they have a change in their personal factors not society's.

What I don't agree with you here on is that Covid will slowly fade away so those high risk people when be better off if people just comply. People sick with Covid, be they vaccinated or not, eventually get better and more immune and transmission goes down. what you are basically saying is that sick people get sick from other sick people which happens in hospitals all the time. So? Why qualify people as deserving treatment or not? It all amounts to scolding just the way one might ask a pneumonia patient if they wore a hat on a cold day. So what we have really exposed is the moralist society of do as you have been told and life will be better. To you that might seem like just a civil thing to do but I think people are also entitled to see that as a recipe or blueprint for a society that they don't want to live in supplanting the rugged individualism of our tradition for a interdependent and reliant hive.
    Read the parts in bold. Rejecting sympathy for the weak and infirm. Complaing it's up to them to protect themselves. I specifically mentioned children with cancer and he downplays the risk people with damaged immune systems face when in the hospital. At the end he invokes a pile of nonsense about rugged individualism.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 10-20-2021 at 04:52 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Officials: Tennessee can’t drop COVID rule despite GOP push

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Tennessee labor officials say they are unable to reject a federal rule designed to protect health care workers from COVID-19 despite receiving stern instructions earlier this week from Republican lawmakers to do so.

In a letter sent to lawmakers Tuesday, Labor and Workforce Development Commissioner Jeff McCord argued that there is no state statute or process allowing the withdrawal of a rule once it becomes effective.

The federal rule, adopted by Tennessee in late August, outlines requirements for personal protective equipment, social distancing and other safety measures for workers at medical facilities that care for people with COVID-19. It also requires paid sick time for employees who contract COVID-19, need to get vaccinated or are dealing with vaccine side effects.

According to McCord, the federal government could revoke Tennessee’s authority to oversee its own workplace safety enforcement if the state refuses to comply with the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s COVID-19 rules. The Biden administration already issued such threats to three Republican-led states this week.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58983965

The case will now head to a penalty trial in which jurors must determine whether Mr Cruz is spared the death penalty to face life without parole.
    it took Nikolas Cruz three years eight months to plead guilty.

Almost four years and the trial is still going on? He killed 17 people and the jury still has not convicted him to this day?

the trial is still not over? What happened to "the right to a speedy trial"? I thought it was in the U.S. Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post

Read the parts in bold. Rejecting sympathy for the weak and infirm. Complaing it's up to them to protect themselves. I specifically mentioned children with cancer and he downplays the risk people with damaged immune systems face when in the hospital. At the end he invokes a pile of nonsense about rugged individualism.
    It's bizarre to me that anyone thinks we're already not interdependent and reliant. It's just plain narcissistic delusion to believe otherwise.

Perhaps one of the surprise news stories I never imagined to read given its about college students. A college student posted to his local paper to discuss how he was afraid of repairmen coming to fix radiators at the dorms the college had set up to do it. Claiming that him and other students were not comfortable with them coming there. Saying women and transgender students were at the top floors there. Here is the article.

https://nypost.com/2021/10/19/oberli...rs-brought-in/

Here is the original article source....

https://oberlinreview.org/25000/opin...ing-residents/

Oh no not the new york post highlighting a college op/ed to provoke resentment again!
    Last edited by Tendrin; 10-21-2021 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58983965

it took Nikolas Cruz three years eight months to plead guilty.

Almost four years and the trial is still going on? He killed 17 people and the jury still has not convicted him to this day?

the trial is still not over? What happened to "the right to a speedy trial"? I thought it was in the U.S. Constitution.
    It was a sensitive trial, dealing with a lot of evidence to evaluate.

Looking at the wikipedia page, there were some delays at the defense's insistence, such as when they wanted to wait on the results of a probate trial to determine what his net worth is, to determine eligibility for court-appointed lawyers. Later, they asked for more time to build their case.

And then Covid happened, which complicated indoor activities involving lots of strangers.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    It's bizarre to me that anyone thinks we're already not interdependent and reliant. It's just plain narcissistic delusion to believe otherwise.
    That's because a lot of folks on the right see themselves as islands of do-it-yourself-ism, "sovereign citizens" who are fine enough on their own and would be even better if government and everyone else would just stay out of their way and leave them alone. The aspects of society they like (protection from foreign invaders, infrastructure of roads/electrical grid/internet/etc., protection from crime or fire or ability to be helped if injured/sick) they see as either their due for the taxes they pay or as things that would be even better if left to the free market and the benevolence of private industry. Protections for anyone else are clearly indulgences that only cripple those that need them, not giving them the freedom to pull themselves up by their boot straps (not to mention wasting their hard-earned money).

It's a luxury they can afford because we live in an interconnected society with laws and protections. Looking at private industry and their willful attempts to dump toxic materials, allow injury or death if the settlements (assuming they're caught and held to account, eventually) are cheaper than doing things safely, gouging their customers (never mind their avoidance of taxes) or using unsafe or lower quality materials, acquiring materials in manners that would be highly illegal if done in this country, etc. even with the laws and regulations on them right now shows that they would be making things even worse for others if they could. Like the old Chris Rock bit about minimum wage, "We'd like to pay you less, but it's against the law!"

The irony is private industry lobbying/influence is often the cause of many of the toothless regulations and loopholes that undermine public safety and interests. Why anyone chooses to identify or lionize them still baffles me, even if (or maybe especially if) they want to be in the position to be f##king people over someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It was a sensitive trial, dealing with a lot of evidence to evaluate.

Looking at the wikipedia page, there were some delays at the defense's insistence, such as when they wanted to wait on the results of a probate trial to determine what his net worth is, to determine eligibility for court-appointed lawyers. Later, they asked for more time to build their case.

And then Covid happened, which complicated indoor activities involving lots of strangers.
    Dylan Roof's Trial was also a sensitive trial. It took the jury one year and ten months to convict him. Covid didn't happen when the sentence was announced. Nikolas Cruz trial is much longer.

Put him in a mental hospital. Sentence him to prison for life without parole. Sentence him to death. I don't care what his sentence is going to be. I just wish the Nikolas Cruz trial would end sooner than wasting taxpayer money.

On this date in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, as well as 2018, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day posted profiles of the U.S. House Representative from South Carolina’s 4th Congressional District, Trey Gowdy, the U.S. House Representative from South Carolina’s 4th Congressional District, a would-be witchfinder general who obsessively looks for conspiracies being carried out by Democrats that never actually manifest, and complains about the media when they have the nerve to report when he's unable to find any wrongdoing. Gowdy was placed in charge of the Benghazi Select Committee in 2014, and in 2016, Gowdy's Benghazi committee finally ended not with the repeatedly promised bang, but a whimper. Before it was all over, he had to concede that all of the reports that concluded nothing could have been done to save the lives of the four Americans killed there could have been saved by any possible intervention, and he and the Republicans on that committee had to begrudgingly release the report to the press that concluded there was no culpability or wrongdoing by Hillary Clinton or the State Department... In addition to the Benghazi Committee/fiasco/waste of taxpayer money that Gowdy has been making himself famous for, he also tried hyping the IRS scandal, calling for Lois Lerner to be held in contempt of Congress for invoking her 5th amendment right to not testify against herself. It was the first time that Congress held someone in contempt for doing that since... wait for it... Joe McCarthy during the Red Scare hearings. Gowdy also expressed his desire to use torture not just against terrorists... but against IRS employees to root out all the crimes they committed, "like Jack Bauer on 24", and tried hyping outrage about the closing of the World War II Memorial during the 2013 Government Shutdown by claiming that special consideration was given to Occupy Wall Street protestors to stay in that park (Zuccotti Park was privately owned, not by the government). During the House Oversight Committee’s witch hunt against Planned Parenthood, Gowdy grilled the organization’s president, Cecile Richards, repeatedly interrupting and badgering her while attributing quotes she had made which she never had said. Rounding out Gowdy's resume is one of the most conservative voting records in Congress, and an hard policy in favor of Voter ID laws that disproportionately curb the ability of minorities to get registered to vote, which he feels "can't be racist" by his logic because sometimes, people in South Carolina elect minorities. That’s only the beginning of the bad news. While new House Oversight Chairman Jason Chaffetz abruptly resigned in 2017, it meant a field promotion for Trey Gowdy, who was given the field promotion to run the House Oversight Committee during the Trump administration. And guess who, in spite of the most blatantly corrupt White House since at least the Reagan administration, if not ever, is all thumbs and unable to find anything worth investigating? TREY F’N GOWDY. Yeah, with the Trump administration colluding with Russians, with the Trump business empire enriching itself off of its presidency, with practically every member of the Trump Cabinet of Horrors abusing private jets on taxpayer expense for personal trips, et cetera, et cetera, Trey Gowdy buried his head in the sand and pretend that everything is JUST FINE. After eight years of playing make believe with the Obama administration, a group of unqualified morons without moral compasses move into the White House, literally skip out on all their ethics training (and act like it), and Gowdy is an accessory to all the crap they’re pulling to the extent that he accuses the people who are the “leaks” informing the media of all these scandals of criminal wrongdoing, echoing Donald Trump himself. He spent the energy to cast doubt on the Steele Dossier even as the intelligence community keeps confirming that detail after detail in it is accurate. It would be sad if it wasn’t so predictable. Trey Gowdy announced his retirement from Congress in 2018, because while he had limitless energy to attack the previous administration over phantom scandals, playing defense for the corruption of the Trump administration was something that it only took a few months of him running the House Oversight Committee and trying to do nothing before he was exhausted and ready to bail.

On this date in 2019, “Fanatical Republican Extremist of the Day” profiled E. Ray Moore, who in 2014 was a candidate to be Lieutenant Governor of South Carolina. Moore’s political background comes from him working as a campaign staffer for several campaigns for Pat Robertson in the 1980s, before that Fundamentalist lunatic decided he was content to just manipulate our country’s Evangelicals through the 700 Club. Moore is noteworthy to CSGOPOTD for his obsession with the separation of church and state, which he would prefer didn’t exist. He is particually annoyed that children in public schools aren’t indoctrinated with what he judges to be the “correct” version of Christianity. He is currently serving as President of Frontline Ministries, Inc. and author of extremist books like Let My Children Go (with his wife, Gail) and The Promise of Jonadab: Building a Christian Family Legacy in a Time of Cultural Decline, as well as Executive Producer of the documentary IndoctriNation . Now, “IndoctriNation” is a bit of Evangelical propaganda that focuses on the allegedly destructive nature of the public school system, which Moore demonizes as the “main culprit” when it comes to why young adults leave the church. Public schools are like “playing Russian Roulette with your children’s souls,” he claims and describes public schools as “godless and pagan by precept and design,” since they don’t allow for “God in the math class and in the science class as much as in the Bible class.” Instead of letting children attend public schools, Moore would prefer parents homeschool them or place them in Christian schools. In 2006, Moore submitted a resolution to the Southern Baptist Convention urging an exit strategy from the public school system, arguing that Christians should not be exposed to any knowledge that doesn’t fit with his theocratic views. This hatred of public education was the focus of Moore’s 2014 gubernatorial campaign, as he went on to declare that public schools were causing a “silent holocaust” in American churches because they dared to teaching evolution and homosexuality. And warning that current curriculum could turn students into anti-Christian “janissaries” that might grow up to be the next Hillary Clinton. Instead, Moore wanted South Carolina to replace public schools with an education system led by “churches, families, and private association”. Moore cited dubiously accurate studies that said “80 percent of Southern Baptists youths are leaving the church and abandoning the Christian faith, and we think all of this is pretty much attributable to government schooling.” (He either wrote, or paid someone to do that study, dollars to donuts.) In 2017, Moore began directing his prayers to God to protect Trump from the demonic “Deep State.” Mind you, he was vague as to what the Deep State was, but seemed to indicate it was some supernatural force that was not loyal to the Constitution but instead serves “principalities and powers,” “demonic and Satanic forces” and “fallen angels”. Much like Evangelical lunatics who think you can “pray the gay” away, he thought prayer would be an appropriate means to vanquish the deep state. Moore seems unlikely to ever reach office, to say the least

On this date in 2020, “Fanatical Republican Extremist of the Day” profiled Mykel Barthelemy, who was a 2020 Republican candidate for U.S. House of Representatives in Georgia’s 6th Congressional District. Yes, Barthelemy felt that she was the right person to flip the seat traditionally held by Republicans under folks like Newt Gingrichand Tom Price, after Karen Handel lost the seat to Democratic Congresswoman Lucy McBath in 2018. Her qualifications, though, leave much to be desired, because all they really are that she is a published author who wrote a book entitled, “Trump is Not a Racist! Here’s Why” (LOL, sure) and more importantly, during the GOP Primary debate, admitted that she doesn’t even live in the district she was running for. She is of course, yet another one of the Qanon supporters who ran for office in 2020 as a Republican including calls for users to “red pill” themselves, Ukarinium One, insinuations that Donald Trump was deliberately infected with Covid-19 by his political enemies, and that Joe Biden cheated in the first debate by having some sort of ear piece as well as “something he was reading behind his eyelids”. and those are just the crazy-ass things she’s posted on Twitter in October 2020 alone. If you want to peruse further back into her Twitter, well… we advise against going directly into the mouth of madness, so to speak. As she seems highly unlikely to ever reach office we will set aside her profile at this time, however, to cover another wacky Republican today instead. (Current crazy/stupid scoreboard, is now 1036-50, since this was established in July 2014.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.