Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey5640 View Post
    Here is the actual wording of the law that has caused so many metldowns on the left:

Classroom instruction by school personnel or third parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards.

If you wish to read the entire law, it is only 7 pages. Here is the link:

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bil...illText/er/PDF

Feel free to support teaching K-3 all about sex if you wish but have the facts first.
    There really wasn't some epidemic of teachers having sex ed classes for kids 8yr old and younger. But we're now is a strange place where even the acknowledgement that gay people exist is seen by some folks as "indoctrination". I don't have tons of data. but reportedly the bill in some places has had the desired effect...some teachers who were previously out are being told things like don't wear your pride T-Shirt anymore, if you have a same sex partner don't have their picture on your desk, etc less some crazy parent claim that you're spreading an agenda or "sexualizing" children.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Here's the really obvious problem with that entire line of reasoning...

The idea that the money that is invested in all but outright owning both Democrats and Republicans allow anything like they to actually take place to any serious degree.

Anything like that actually starts to happen?

Bodies will go into the ground in whatever numbers will be required to keep the current status quo in place.
    I get that, but when one party is marching through the streets with flaming torches and banning books, you back the other party!

Ultimate Member

No doubt those vaccine mandates upset you as well. As does the history of the Democratic party being the slave-owning, Jim Crow, Poll Tax, Emmet Tiil killing party. Right?
    It's always hilarious to me that the Republicans tout how they were basic over a hundred years ago and ignore all recent history, as if they their last president weren't the most racist in history.

Ultimate Member

No doubt those vaccine mandates upset you as well. As does the history of the Democratic party being the slave-owning, Jim Crow, Poll Tax, Emmet Tiil killing party. Right?
    This isn't about me being upset -- I've long since accepted that many Americans willingly choose fear, bigotry and ignorance.

So again -- you do you.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I get that, but when one party is marching through the streets with flaming torches and banning books, you back the other party!

People broke into the White House with flags bearing the Republican president's name while he sat there refusing to call them off as they threatened the lives of our Congresspeople as well as our democracy as a whole.

Let's not dance around the obvious -- there's a reason why so many of them are being found guilty of sedition, even as Trump and the other Republicans dodge subpeonas and try to pretend it never happened.

They know what they did and they know it was wrong but thanks to McConnell's duplicitousness they got a lock on the Supreme Court so for them the ends justify the means.

They don't mind authoritarianism so long as it is their kind of authoritarianism -- that's how it always starts.

Like I told Mets a long time ago -- it won't matter to him (or people like him) until he's a target.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 02-27-2023 at 06:24 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    There really wasn't some epidemic of teachers having sex ed classes for kids 8yr old and younger. But we're now is a strange place where even the acknowledgement that gay people exist is seen by some folks as "indoctrination". I don't have tons of data. but reportedly the bill in some places has had the desired effect...some teachers who were previously out are being told things like don't wear your pride T-Shirt anymore, if you have a same sex partner don't have their picture on your desk, etc less some crazy parent claim that you're spreading an agenda or "sexualizing" children.
    I think the strange place is how parents were told it isn't there place to know or have input as to what their children are taught or even how they taught. To me this law is simply common sense - don't teach sex to kids K-3. That covers any sex. Also simply mandates parents be notified in certain situations regarding what their kids are taught or how they are being taught. If anyone used it to push an agenda it was those who repeated the headline Don't say Gay, knowing it that was an outright lie

Ultimate Member

I think the strange place is how parents were told it isn't there place to know or have input as to what their children are taught or even how they taught. To me this law is simply common sense - don't teach sex to kids K-3.
    When was this happening and when did it become such an epidemic that a law needed to be created specifically targeting LGBT American citizens?

Furthermore, why the need for laws banning AP African-American studies classes?

Have you actually experienced these "problems" or is it something you see in the media that "upsets" you enough to make you vote Republican?

Actually nevermind answering those for me -- these are things you need to work out on your own.

At this point I'm much more interested in listening to the people here who know exactly what we are dealing with in the Republican party.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 02-27-2023 at 06:43 PM.

Ultimate Member

I think the strange place is how parents were told it isn't there place to know or have input as to what their children are taught or even how they taught. To me this law is simply common sense - don't teach sex to kids K-3. That covers any sex. Also simply mandates parents be notified in certain situations regarding what their kids are taught or how they are being taught. If anyone used it to push an agenda it was those who repeated the headline Don't say Gay, knowing it that was an outright lie
    So kids can do shooter drills, but the teacher can get fired for explaining why Billy has two Dads or two Moms.

Seems fair.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    This isn't about me being upset -- I've long since accepted that many Americans willingly choose fear, bigotry and ignorance.

So again -- you do you.

People broke into the White House with flags bearing the Republican president's name while he sat there refusing to call them off as they threatened the lives of our Congresspeople as well as our democracy as a whole.

Let's not dance around the obvious -- there's a reason why so many of them are being found guilty of sedition, even as Trump and the other Republicans dodge subpeonas and try to pretend it never happened.

They know what they did and they know it was wrong but thanks to McConnell's duplicitousness they got a lock on the Supreme Court so for them the ends justify the means.

They don't mind authoritarianism so long as it is their kind of authoritarianism -- that's how it always starts.

Like I told Mets a long time ago -- it won't matter to him (or people like him) until he's a target.
    Pretty sure several hundred of those yahoos were arrested and prosecuted, as they should be. Too bad the rioters, looters and murderers from the BLM and Defund the Police protests weren't held as accountable.

Pretty sure several hundred of those yahoos were arrested and prosecuted, as they should be. Too bad the rioters, looters and murderers from the BLM and Defund the Police protests weren't held as accountable.
    "Basics 101..." -

Taking a run at an actual Federal building and Federal employees will get you a harder slap on the wrist.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    So kids can do shooter drills, but the teacher can get fired for explaining why Billy has two Dads or two Moms.

Seems fair.
    Unfortunately, I do think we need to have kids prepared for active threats. At the K-3 level that really means listening to your teachers instruction in an emergency. You'll have to show me the stats on the mass firings of teachers for the scenario you gave..

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    "Basics 101..." -

Taking a run at an actual Federal building and Federal employees will get you a harder slap on the wrist.
    So those protestors who stormed the federal courthouse in Seattle have been held accountable ? Right?

Ultimate Member

Unfortunately, I do think we need to have kids prepared for active threats. At the K-3 level that really means listening to your teachers instruction in an emergency. You'll have to show me the stats on the mass firings of teachers for the scenario you gave..
    https://www.npr.org/2022/03/30/10894...nt-say-gay-law

The idea is to craft a vague law, and intimidate the teachers.

Care to show me the stats on teachers discussing sexuality to K-3 level kids? And by which, I mean, other than acknowledging that some kids have two parents of the same gender and that people of the same gender can love one another.

The liars claiming that the "Don't Say Gay" law only applies to K-3 students are leaving our the part that the rest of the grades are also covered "If any parent has issue", which basically puts any mention of LGBT in the hands of the most bigoted parent in the school district.

Why does Timmy have 2 separate women he calls Mom? Can't answer anymore.

What if a student begins to question Thier own sexuality? Don't talk to a teacher in Florida.

The ambiguity of the law is the point, as when it was still being debated there was an attempt to make things clear, shut down by the bill's primary sponsor, who claimed that making it clear would defeat the purpose of the law.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Invincible Member

It was a solution to a problem that didn't exist. Much like the "bathroom bills" targeting trans people...supposedly it was to protect women from CIS men who lie and say they are trans in order to get into the ladies room to molest women...something that almost never happens. It was clearly about trying to limit the movements of LGBT people. And the Florida bill was quickly rebranded a so-called "anti-grooming" bill in order to conflate other unrelated issues. There are guys out there like Mark Ruffo who openly admit this part of them doing propaganda.

Ultimate Member

So those protestors who stormed the federal courthouse in Seattle have been held accountable ? Right?
    No idea -- were they?

Don't leave us hanging, Spidey.

No clue who you are talking about in Seattle but I think most here would agree that if they broke any laws then they should be held accountable, whether on the "left" or the "right".

If your claim is that somehow right-wing criminals are being targeted more often than others then you should back that up with data rather than making ambiguous comments about random events.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 02-27-2023 at 07:08 PM.