1. #17896
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    23,061

    Default

    At this point in the proceedings, I could care less if Trump shows up at Biden's inauguration. I think we can all agree that's not going to happen, Trump is too small and petty to show the incoming president that simple courtesy, I'm more concerned with the damage Trump will cause the country between now and late January out of sheer spite because he lost. Trump has plenty of time to screw us all over, perhaps to a permanent degree, and Republicans won't lift a finger to stop him because they still need the support of his base.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  2. #17897
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    4,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    You seem to be the only one taking such a narrative seriously enough to even type out that it could exist.

    Everyone else?

    They realize that it is, at best, a gopher rodeo that will be dealt with as folks who wind up in those roles assume them.
    They know what's he's doing is bad and not normal, it's simply less of a priority since anyone considers not being around Trump a gift in itself. Just because I'm one person saying this on an obscure comic book forum doesn't mean it's not a bad thing of incredibly proportions. "Gopher rodeo" isn't even a real phrase.


  3. #17898
    Invincible Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    20,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    They know what's he's doing is bad and not normal, it's simply less of a priority since anyone considers not being around Trump a gift in itself. Just because I'm one person saying this on an obscure comic book forum doesn't mean it's not a bad thing of incredibly proportions. "Gopher rodeo" isn't even a real phrase.

    It's been real since '88.

    https://bimskalabim.bandcamp.com/track/gopher-rodeo

  4. #17899
    Really Feeling It! Kevinroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    8,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    At this point in the proceedings, I could care less if Trump shows up at Biden's inauguration. I think we can all agree that's not going to happen, Trump is too small and petty to show the incoming president that simple courtesy, I'm more concerned with the damage Trump will cause the country between now and late January out of sheer spite because he lost. Trump has plenty of time to screw us all over, perhaps to a permanent degree, and Republicans won't lift a finger to stop him because they still need the support of his base.
    We're already seeing that with Trump exiting the Treaty on Open Skies.

  5. #17900
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    23,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    We're already seeing that with Trump exiting the Treaty on Open Skies.
    Exactly. And that’s only the start. Who’s to say Trump won’t try to find a way to screw with the distribution of the vaccines currently in the pipeline for the virus, again, out of nothing more than sheer spite. Trump is the classic example of an abusive spouse who kills his wife or girlfriend after a heated separation: if he can’t have the country, he’ll make sure nobody does.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  6. #17901
    Genesis of A Nemesis KOSLOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    It is a problem that we have to say "we'll see", when we know that he lost! That is the problem! I know, just a few Republican politicians have just started to say he should accept the results of the election, but they should have been saying that all along! And yeah, while I imagine (and definitely hope) they will all eventually say he has to accept the results, it is dangerous and irresponsible for them to have gone along with it for so long. Given that we have already seen how there are right wing individuals and groups who are willing to resort to violence, and how there are thousands right now who are convinced there is a vast, nation-wide conspiracy working against them because Trump says so, "humoring" him this way can quite likely have literally deadly effects. Not even counting how many will still die yet due to the pandemic.

    I suppose we can agree to disagree about what "beyond not losing gracefully" means, but I would offer how much of a poor sport Bernie was when he lost to Hillary, as an example of what not losing gracefully looks like. He grudgingly backed her once she was the candidate, but it was obviously a spiteful support.

    And here's the thing, consider for a moment the alternate reality where Bernie beat Hillary, then beat Trump in 2016. After a divisive and tumultuous administration, where he was defeated by Romney weeks ago because somehow he managed to bungle the pandemic response as badly as Trump has, in our world? Alternate President Sanders does not try to undermine the election system so he can stay in power, not just because he is not as corrupt as Trump, but also because the Democratic leadership would not have supported his delusion for like two seconds once it was clear that he lost, and likewise, regardless of how often the two groups have been declared as just the same, I really don't see Bernie supporters standing with him as he tries to undermine the election process.

    And I kind of don't see your point about "Hands Up, Don't Shoot". It's not as if any Democrats are in office based on the slogan. Who should be "tossed overboard" for it? Besides which, I think that saying it's "based on a lie" misses the point that the protests in Ferguson were not about just the shooting of Mike Brown. It was the response to systemic problems, and likewise I think the slogan has endured because those problems are not isolated to just Ferguson or St. Louis, but a problem with police nation-wide. I mean, I know you are not a fan of the term "Defund the Police" either, but I would say both are about trying to address how a good portion of the population do not feel as if the police "Protect and Serve" them.
    If there is any issue in which black people stand to benefit or even receive modest QOL gains you can rest assured Mets is against it.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 11-24-2020 at 06:08 AM.
    Pull List:

    Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

  7. #17902
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Where The Food Is.
    Posts
    1,154

    Default



    Neither does the incumbent president trying to overturn election results.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 11-24-2020 at 08:08 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

    - Charles Schultz.

  8. #17903
    The Nature Boy AnakinFlair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Saint Ann, MO
    Posts
    3,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    We're already seeing that with Trump exiting the Treaty on Open Skies.
    And not only that, he's having the planes that were used for Open Skies destroyed, to make it more difficult for Biden to reverse course after he's inaugurated.

    And that's the most worrisome part. It's not the damage that Trump can do with his arbitrary decisions, it's the lasting damage his sycophants can do to carry out those decisions and try to make them permanent.

  9. #17904
    Astonishing Member PwrdOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    It is a problem that we have to say "we'll see", when we know that he lost! That is the problem! I know, just a few Republican politicians have just started to say he should accept the results of the election, but they should have been saying that all along! And yeah, while I imagine (and definitely hope) they will all eventually say he has to accept the results, it is dangerous and irresponsible for them to have gone along with it for so long. Given that we have already seen how there are right wing individuals and groups who are willing to resort to violence, and how there are thousands right now who are convinced there is a vast, nation-wide conspiracy working against them because Trump says so, "humoring" him this way can quite likely have literally deadly effects. Not even counting how many will still die yet due to the pandemic.

    I suppose we can agree to disagree about what "beyond not losing gracefully" means, but I would offer how much of a poor sport Bernie was when he lost to Hillary, as an example of what not losing gracefully looks like. He grudgingly backed her once she was the candidate, but it was obviously a spiteful support.

    And here's the thing, consider for a moment the alternate reality where Bernie beat Hillary, then beat Trump in 2016. After a divisive and tumultuous administration, where he was defeated by Romney weeks ago because somehow he managed to bungle the pandemic response as badly as Trump has, in our world? Alternate President Sanders does not try to undermine the election system so he can stay in power, not just because he is not as corrupt as Trump, but also because the Democratic leadership would not have supported his delusion for like two seconds once it was clear that he lost, and likewise, regardless of how often the two groups have been declared as just the same, I really don't see Bernie supporters standing with him as he tries to undermine the election process.

    And I kind of don't see your point about "Hands Up, Don't Shoot". It's not as if any Democrats are in office based on the slogan. Who should be "tossed overboard" for it? Besides which, I think that saying it's "based on a lie" misses the point that the protests in Ferguson were not about just the shooting of Mike Brown. It was the response to systemic problems, and likewise I think the slogan has endured because those problems are not isolated to just Ferguson or St. Louis, but a problem with police nation-wide. I mean, I know you are not a fan of the term "Defund the Police" either, but I would say both are about trying to address how a good portion of the population do not feel as if the police "Protect and Serve" them.
    You can't really compare Bernie to Trump though, because the Bernie campaign wasn't really about him personally the same way that it is for Trump, his supporters just liked the policies he was advocating, and if someone else were to advocate for those same policies it's not hard to imagine the Bernie Bros switching their support to that candidate. Bernie himself isn't terribly charismatic and tends to just repeat the same talking points over and over again, and of course being yet another crusty old white dude he doesn't really represent his base which tends to be younger and more diverse. And I really have a hard time seeing Bernie's run as being some kind of self-aggrandizing project, even people who hate him have to admit that he was only running because he wanted to be able to implement the platform he's spent his whole career pushing for, not because he's obsessed with media attention or building some kind of legacy the same way that so many politicians are.

    And frankly, I don't understand why moderate Democrats are always trying to appeal to some nonexistent referee of election etiquette or whatever. They've been trying that line ever since Trump has entered office, acting all shocked and horrified every time he breaks with some unwritten convention, and invariably nothing comes of that because there's nobody who is going to step in and enforce these standards. Yeah Trump should have conceded by now but we all kind of knew that he was going to go quietly and, as long as he's still President, there isn't anyone that can just force him to concede or make the transition to Biden's administration any easier. And yeah this sets all kinds of troubling precedents and is probably not good either for the health of our democracy or our international reputation, but Trump is really just a symptom of the systemic rot of our sociopolitical structure, and these problems won't be fixed if he were to just concede the election and leave office gracefully.

  10. #17905
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,557

    Default

    Do people not realize he is doing this at Putin's behest?
    Last edited by Kirby101; 11-24-2020 at 08:48 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  11. #17906
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Where The Food Is.
    Posts
    1,154
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

    - Charles Schultz.

  12. #17907
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    23,061

    Default

    Well, of course the brain dead cultists would vote for Trump again, that’s no surprise. However, if the Donald goes on trial after leaving office and is convicted of his crimes, that would disqualify him from running for president again, and no one will take Don Jr. or Ivanka seriously as a candidate. So those legions of fools need to give up their fever dream of another Trump run.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  13. #17908
    Once And Future BAMF Hellion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Nowhere, Montana
    Posts
    500

    Default

    Well, you can't fix stupid...

    For someone to truly believe the solution to coming off an election where both sides criticized the opposing candidate for being old and senile is to then run an even older, more senile candidate next time, well, not me, but a less enlightened man than myself, he might just call that person "retarded."
    Last edited by Hellion; 11-24-2020 at 09:18 AM.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

    Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

    "I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

  14. #17909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    They know what's he's doing is bad and not normal, it's simply less of a priority since anyone considers not being around Trump a gift in itself. Just because I'm one person saying this on an obscure comic book forum doesn't mean it's not a bad thing of incredibly proportions. "Gopher rodeo" isn't even a real phrase.

    "Gopher rodeo" sounds like something that would be written if you tried to get a bot to write another sequel to a Chipmunks movie.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  15. #17910
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    910

    Default

    1. Is it any surprise when so many people voted for him this time.
    2. This is fresh off a loss they wish to overturn of course they are going to say that.

    The bigger question is how many will still be loyal in 4 years.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •