Page 608 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 10850855859860460560660760860961061161261865870811081608 ... LastLast
Results 9,106 to 9,120 of 75153
    Mighty Member

Such a waste, another murder at a protest within a week.

https://www.wweek.com/news/2020/08/2...town-portland/

You have an inept President who publicly sides with far right militia men, and makes things worse by sending in federal troops.
    An inept Mayor who tries to have a friendly sit down with far left anarchists to solve the problem...like that is going to work.

Poor kid, he had his whole life ahead of him, but he got roped into the far right that says he needs to save America from the far left, and now he's dead. I hope you get some stability down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    A lot of is hidden behind innocuous seeming language about 'sex being real'. Google her involvement in the Maya Forester case, for example, and waht the Maya Forester case is actually about,.

A lot of TERFism is just the repurposing of anti-gay rhetoeric to single out trans, since even a lot of gay folks can be bigoted against trans people, which is why Graham Linehan use a lot of 'in defense of lesbians' wedges to target trans people.
    Way past bed time but I will do that search tomorrow on Maya Forrester. I've noticed a couple of examples of gay people being anti-trans, one cis woman (Yeah, I'm saying cis now) who was lesbian even took her obvious hatred of trans people to the point of being interviewed by Tucker Carlson, one of the gods of bigotry. This guy is, I'm sure, anti-gay to a pathological level but he'll play nice with a lesbian to hate some other group he hates even more and she'll be nice with him to do it. So she hates trans people more than she even loves other gay people. And all of it was over some incident where I think she lost an award or something to a trans woman.

For myself, having grown up believing I was gay and certainly am bi, I once heard Richard Pryor talk about the anger he feels at racism and realizing those are the feelings I experience from bigots or Nicole Maines talk or even the Dreamer in character talk about her feelings and realize, "Yup, that's what I feel. Different horse, same race. Because that's what a human being feels when they are a victim of bigotry.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Way past bed time but I will do that search tomorrow on Maya Forrester. I've noticed a couple of examples of gay people being anti-trans, one cis woman (Yeah, I'm saying cis now) who was lesbian even took her obvious hatred of trans people to the point of being interviewed by Tucker Carlson, one of the gods of bigotry. This guy is, I'm sure, anti-gay to a pathological level but he'll play nice with a lesbian to hate some other group he hates even more and she'll be nice with him to do it. So she hates trans people more than she even loves other gay people. And all of it was over some incident where I think she lost an award or something to a trans woman.

For myself, having grown up believing I was gay and certainly am bi, I once heard Richard Pryor talk about the anger he feels at racism and realizing those are the feelings I experience from bigots or Nicole Maines talk or even the Dreamer in character talk about her feelings and realize, "Yup, that's what I feel. Different horse, same race. Because that's what a human being feels when they are a victim of bigotry.
    A hard lesson I have learned: never befriend anyone because they don't like the same things you don't like.

Looks like Zombie Herman Cain is at it again on Twitter. This time his account shared an article claiming, "The Coronavirus is not as deadly as the media said."

It was deadly enough to have killed him over a month ago, now. And some GOP necromancers apparently still are "reviving" him to spread disinformation.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Looks like Zombie Herman Cain is at it again on Twitter. This time his account shared an article claiming, "The Coronavirus is not as deadly as the media said."

It was deadly enough to have killed him over a month ago, now. And some GOP necromancers apparently still are "reviving" him to spread disinformation.
    This is almost parody account level. I've heard his family or something is running it now, but how difficult would it be for them to run their own accounts? It would still be stupid but not nearly as ghoulish.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    This is almost parody account level. I've heard his family or something is running it now, but how difficult would it be for them to run their own accounts? It would still be stupid but not nearly as ghoulish.
    I mean, "The Herman Cain Foundation" would probably be a better way to do this, for sure.

We would still have to point out how insane it would be that said foundation would be Covid-Truthers when its namesake was killed due to Covid-19 denialism and refusing to wear masks... but at least it wouldn't be this macabre.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    I mean, "The Herman Cain Foundation" would probably be a better way to do this, for sure.

We would still have to point out how insane it would be that said foundation would be Covid-Truthers when its namesake was killed due to Covid-19 denialism and refusing to wear masks... but at least it wouldn't be this macabre.
    Not just ghoulish or macabre, but was in damn poor taste and disrespectful to the recently deceased....unless Cain himself stipulated in his will or made it known to his family that he wanted the account to be kept active before he shuffled off this mortal coil.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

On this date, in both 2014, as well as in 2015, "Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" profiled Steve Wiles, an anti-gay candidate for North Carolina State Senate in 2014 who just so happened to have once worked as a drag queen named Mona Sinclair at a gay bar. Once the media got wind of that little detail, the amount of hypocrisy assured that he would be a laughingstock on the left, and a pariah on the right. Wiles optimistically stayed in the race through the primary, perhaps hoping his distant past wouldn’t come back to haunt him, but he finished third, over sixteen points off the winner, Joyce Krawiec. He has since only intermittently appeared on social media, making no mention of politics whatsoever.

In both 2016, 2017, 2018, as well as 2019, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” presented our original profile of the now U.S. House Representative for Florida’s 26th Congressional District, Carlos Curbelo, who was barely elected in 2014 with 51% of the vote in the 2014 elections over Democratic incumbent Joe Garcia. And while in his very short time in the limelight, Curbelo has been dogged by ethics complaints. In July of 2015, he suggested that Donald Trump was not sincere in his pursuit of the GOP nomination for president, but was actually “a phantom candidate recruited by the left to create this entire political circus”. Other than Curbelo’s wacky conspiracy theory about Trump, we have to report out the time that Curbelo, a grown man, decided to hop onto one of those Hoverboards around Christmas of 2015, and wrecked himself before he checked himself, earning a broken arm in the process. Carlos Curbelo knew he was going to have a hard time hanging on for a third term in office with a predicted Blue Wave headed his way in 2018 and started trying to improve his chances by arguing with Rep. Justin Amash of Michigan, arguing that he was the first Republican in Congress to discuss impeaching Donald Trump. Mind you, he still might believe he’s a secret Democrat sent to sabotage the GOP, especially because Curbelo runs a political PAC that supports immigration reform and impotently criticized the Trump administration’s family separation policy (which is a pretty low bar to clear). Again, the devil’s in the details, as Curbelo’s PAC has repeatedly given money to Republican candidates who, shock of shocks, take his money and then oppose immigration anyway, because it’s all a bunch of grift with the GOP these days. That “moderate” posture didn’t due Carlos Curbelo much good in 2018 when he faced off with Ecuadorian immigrant Debbie Murcasel-Powell, who sent him packing with only 49% of the vote to show for it. As he is now no longer in, or running for office at this time, we’ll set aside his profile at this time, and take a look at another kooky Republican today instead. (Current crazy/stupid scoreboard, is now 906-45, since this was established in July 2014.

George Buck

Welcome to what is the 906th original profile here at “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day”, where we’ll be discussing George Buck , who is running to try and become the next U.S. House Representative for Florida’s 13th Congressional District in both 2018 and in 2020. In the former matchup, he was blown out by former Florida Gov. Charlie Crist. So in 2020, with several new challengers coming to the fore in the GOP primary, we wanted to cement his status with GOP voters by, oh, y’know… sending out a fundraising letter where he was calling for sitting Congresswomen Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib, Ayanna Pressley, and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to be hanged as traitors. Specifically, he also went full conspiracy theorist and claimed Rep. Omar was a “Qatari asset”.

If you weren’t clear just based off of that this man is a raging bigot, he called for a Constitutional amendment barring immigrants from running for Congress, which, surprise, would have excluded one of his primary opponents from running against him.  

Buck’s extremism was enough to cause House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy and other GOP leaders to pull all financial support from his campaign, yet he still ended up finishing third in the GOP Primary in 2020 with a full 25% of the vote. We’re hoping this will be the last time we mention him as even running for office.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Not just ghoulish or macabre, but was in damn poor taste and disrespectful to the recently deceased....unless Cain himself stipulated in his will or made it known to his family that he wanted the account to be kept active before he shuffled off this mortal coil.
    I'm not expecting a lot Cain put a lot of forethought into will, considering he seems to have thought he was invincible, his tax plan was 9-9-9, and his idea of an inspiring speech was to quote songs from Pokemon movies.

Seems like he may have been mailing a lot of things in.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Now this stuff I didn't know, only her early tweets and confrontations. I apologize.
    Sorry if I came off as rude, I've had a pretty low tolerance for that kind of stuff recently. But yeah, I'll give her one thing, until recently JK Rowling has been very good at couching in her beliefs under the guess of just supporting her friends(who happen to definitely be TERFS) and stuff like that, juuuust riding the line of "well maybe she doesn't really know what she's saying, give her another chance". I guess it's more obvious to people more familiar with UK politics too(I'm American so I didn't recognize a lot of the names at first) where trans rights are a bit more poor than they are in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    An inept Mayor who tries to have a friendly sit down with far left anarchists to solve the problem...like that is going to work.
    What solution do you have, should the feds come in to "deal" with these "far left anarchists" as you call them?
    Last edited by Panfoot; 08-31-2020 at 06:02 AM.

Ultimate Member

I'm not expecting a lot Cain put a lot of forethought into will, considering he seems to have thought he was invincible, his tax plan was 9-9-9, and his idea of an inspiring speech was to quote songs from Pokemon movies.

Seems like he may have been mailing a lot of things in.
    What the pika pika?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    What the pika pika?
    Way back during his presidential run kept quoting The Power of One, the theme for Pokémon: The Movie 2000. Perhaps he was a fan.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

Pandemic or not, I hope this happens for every student in every school district across the country. No student should be without a computer and internet access.

N.J.’s third largest city now has a laptop for every student after arrival of nearly 10K Chromebooks

A massive shortfall of laptop computers in the Paterson school district has been averted, nine days before the school year will begin with all-remote learning in the state’s third-largest city.

Paterson Schools Superintendent Eileen Shafer announced Sunday night that approximately 9,600 Chromebooks purchased from Trox, an education technology company, arrived in the K-12 district over the past three days.

“I could not be happier to announce to our students and their families that they will have the best remote learning experience possible now that we have enough Chromebooks for all of our students,” Shafer said in a statement provided by the school district.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

The Republican who just cited multiple posts where he defended a Nazi being punched in the face will now lecture us all about the dangers of cancel culture.

This is a fine moment where we shouldn't be taking an opinion seriously.
    I think you summarized the statements inaccurately.

"Nick Spencer's right (hey, I just realized he has the same last name.) It's not about becoming the equivalent of what we hate by allowing for rare exceptions to established norms, but the precedent it would establish." or "If someone wants Richard Spencer to be afraid to leave his door every day, I'm curious how we get to that as a policy." is hardly a defense of Richard Spencer.

That you see it that way could suggest your opinions should not be taken seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Pretty much picking the wrong reasons or cherry picking.

Lets take comicsgate for example.

There are badly edited books at these companies. I can name 5 that I have seen for myself. The person they targeted is NOT the editor for any of them. Because those 5 are from DC, Dynamite & Lion Forge.

They bought up a LEGIT concern.

Same with Priest only getting black lead book offers. While the same bad white writers kept getting books. Something many have complained about even before McDuffie died.

Same thing a LEGIT concern.

They went the WRONG way about it.
    With discussion of cancellation, we should distinguish between concerns about politics and concerns about competence (granted, there is an overlap as one may say that efforts to produce a particular political message result in the work being worse.) If you don't want a writer on a book because you think his stories are derivative, it's different from not wanting a writer on a book because you disagree with his political message.

Cancellation generally goes beyond not being interested in an artistic product, with the insistence that it not exist. Most people who think a book is badly edited aren't going to buy it, but they're not going to put additional pressure on the company to get rid of the editor. The average person who thinks Batman is poorly edited isn't going to insist to DC that they will not buy Wonder Woman as long as the Batman editor has a job.

Comicsgate is definitely guilty of pushing for things to not exist, going so far as to have harassment campaigns in excess of left-wing comics fans, so they don't get to blame the left on this.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 08-31-2020 at 06:24 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets