Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    And they're showing us they're not done with this s***, and pulling away rights.

Alito talked about undoing Loving v. Virginia (interracial marriage), Obergefell v. Hodges (gay marriage), Lawrence v. Texas (the right to have sex in your own home without it being a procreative act), and Griswold v. Connecticut (birth control). Clarence Thomas seconded that, omitting only the Loving decision because he didn't want to get Ginni tweaked, apparently.

Meanwhile, Texas Senator John Cornyn is out there thumping his chest and egging them on to undo Plessy v. Ferguson and Brown v. Board of Education. Yeah, let's undo f***ing segregation in the 21st century.

These goons are burning everything good that's ever come from the judicial branch just to take glee in the rights of others being removed. That's it. There's not a doubt that it's what's best for this country's people, but LET'S OWN THESE LIBS!

So I'm gonna reserve my right to call taking human rights away from other people "evil", and if that's offensive to anybody, I'd revise your priorities.
    Cornyn responded to a point by Obama on precedent by noting that it's a good thing precedents are sometimes overturned, as when Brown V. Board of Education overturned Plessy V. Ferguson.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

There's conservative sheriffs refusing to enforce gun laws or mask mandates, but I'm sure that folks on the right will scream their heads off about this as if they didn't set the precedent.
    When Sheriffs back the GOP

"They are brave. Standing up to the Woke agenda and doing what is right. Back the blue!"

When a sheriff stands up to the GOP and backs the Democrats.

"Law enforcement should not be about politics! This person needs to be replaced ASAP!"
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

An insistence of defending that any Republican does as fine would be a nice way to sum it up.
    But I don't defend everything Republicans do.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    The French newspapers are holding back respectfully.

Brutally accurate. Frighteningly accurate too, because that exactly what’s going to happen, especially to poor women and women of color, and perhaps sooner than anyone believes.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Cornyn responded to a point by Obama on precedent by noting that it's a good thing precedents are sometimes overturned, as when Brown V. Board of Education overturned Plessy V. Ferguson.
    That's a very kind reading of what he said, but he said "Now do Plessy vs Ferguson/Brown vs Board of Education." That's not saying it's good that decisions get overturned, that's saying it's time to revisit those decisions...which is evil.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I get that this is meaningful to you, but I do think a part of the response to the post is that you guys don't want to be held accountable for silly predictions that would demonstrate a poor understanding of modern politics.

You guys insist that Republicans be disciplined, but don't hold your side to the same standard.
    You also said it was silly to think that Roe V. Wade would be overturned, that it was settled law and we were all crying that the sky was falling and look where we are.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

‘I didn’t know he was there until he hit me’: Candidate details assault by political rival at abortion rally

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — A Democratic candidate for state Senate is recalling the moments when she says she was assaulted by her Republican challenger while attending Friday night’s State House protest against the decision overturning Roe v. Wade.

12 News spoke with Rhode Island Political Cooperative co-founder Jennifer Rourke, whose alleged assault by GOP candidate and Providence police officer Jeann Lugo has quickly drawn national attention. Lugo is now on paid leave and facing criminal charges.

“As I looked to my left that’s when Officer Lugo punched me in the face multiple times,” Rourke said.

“I had never interacted with him, ever,” she said. “That was my first and hopefully my last interaction with him.”
    Good lord. Now he is charged with assault. Her GOP rival comes and punches her in the face on camera multiple times

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    That's a very kind reading of what he said, but he said "Now do Plessy vs Ferguson/Brown vs Board of Education." That's not saying it's good that decisions get overturned, that's saying it's time to revisit those decisions...which is evil.
    He responded to the following comment by Obama.

Today, the Supreme Court not only reversed nearly 50 years of precedent, it relegated the most intensely personal decision someone can make to the whims of politicians and ideologues—attacking the essential freedoms of millions of Americans.

Across the country, states have already passed bills restricting choice. If you're looking for ways to respond, @PPFA, @USOWomen, and many other groups have been sounding the alarm on this issue for years—and will continue to be on the front lines of this fight.

For more than a month, we’ve known this day was coming—but that doesn’t make it any less devastating. Here are my thoughts from when we first saw the draft ruling:
    It seems pretty clear he's asking Obama to reconcile his view on precedent in Roe V. Wade with the dismantling of precedent in Brown V. Board of Education.

I'm trying to figure out the left-wing interpretation of Cornyn's comments. If he really did believe that Brown V. Board of Education should be reversed, shouldn't he have the good sense to keep quiet about it? Or do you think he thought more racists would be on his side, so he's pretending that there's a different meaning to his comments than he intended? Or is it something else; dog-whistles to political allies as part of a white power conspiracy?

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    You also said it was silly to think that Roe V. Wade would be overturned, that it was settled law and we were all crying that the sky was falling and look where we are.
    I'm pretty sure I haven't said that.

Link please.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Glad you think they are silly, when at least 4 Justices want to undo those Rights and last count I saw 9 States have passed ending Gay Marriage trigger laws.
    What 9 states??
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    ‘I didn’t know he was there until he hit me’: Candidate details assault by political rival at abortion rally

Good lord. Now he is charged with assault. Her GOP rival comes and punches her in the face on camera multiple times
    Question now is: does this hurt his election chances? In the Trump era of the GOP that's not a rhetorical question.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    What 9 states??
    I'll look for the article, it was a couple of days ago. I know one was Mississippi and Texas another.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

4 Justices want to undo Brown V. Board of Education, as well as Loving V. Virginia? I was unaware of that.

What position do I hold that is so unreasonable?
    Gay Rights Mets, but keep defending your Party and act like this is no big deal and just a "political discussion" and not the lives of people.

Position? What is your position on this ruling, and Gay Rights and the Right to Privacy and gun laws in your State, and Miranda...?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Gay Rights Mets, but keep defending your Party and act like this is no big deal and just a "political discussion" and not the lives of people.

Position? What is your position on this ruling, and Gay Rights and the Right to Privacy and gun laws in your State, and Miranda...?
    I think you're responding to a point I haven't made. My comments were not on gay marriage. It was a response to people who think Loving V. Virginia and Brown V. Education are likely to be reversed.

Before I express an opinion on contentious political issues, I would like to know what I've said that is so outrageous that people are calling me a right-wing troll.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Speaking of this whole thing, let's not forget the moment that kid is born, the moment that the mom or anyone tries to get help, and God forbid the mom is not perfect, the GOP start to scream bloody murder about lazy and entitled women and Welfare Queens, and getting a job where they can't make enough money and oh yeah, three jobs and you can't watch your kid time to call DCFS on their ass. Not to mention the Foster care system. And adopting a kid. Its all **** you, your on your own after the kid is born.

In regard to the pope, the pro life thing extends beyond the idea of just a baby and more fore the child's full existence. So like welfare for ghe child, express care for the mother and community care to the baby, all things he has pointed out that the right refuse to do, thus he's hated for that ****. But yes, anyone thinking that he's pro choice would be sad to learn he is not but its beyond roe v wade in the case of international Catholics vs the American Bishops who are passing off their own priests.

On a side Note. France thinks it has enough votes to push their abortion rights into codification or law. But the situation is still tricky because of how f***ing close LeSean came to winning.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post

This is what they think they have permission to do now.