Page 233 of 524 FirstFirst ... 133183223229230231232233234235236237243283333 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,495 of 7855
  1. #3481
    Intermediary
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    How is it pandering?
    trying to send the message they "understand" the struggle when they really don't

    Im not mad about, it was just not a great move IMO

  2. #3482
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Dude, wear it, just make sure you know the meaning behind anything of traditional garb and respect it.
    That's exactly why I would wear it -- out of respect for the culture and philosophy behind it.

    And because it looks better than a suit and tie in my opinion -- my whole administration would be decked out in silk robes.

    It was more of a commentary on the fact that there's no room for that kind of individuality in the political arena which is something that tends to affect political philosophy as well -- often you can't be too radical in either appearance or ideology.

    But that likewise explains why we keep electing the same kinds of leaders and getting the same kinds of results.

    -----
    "In general, "kung fu" refers to the Chinese martial arts also called wushu and quanfa. In China, it refers to any study, learning, or practice that requires patience, energy, and time to complete. In its original meaning, kung fu can refer to any discipline or skill achieved through hard work and practice, not necessarily martial arts."

    Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMan View Post
    trying to send the message they "understand" the struggle when they really don't

    Im not mad about, it was just not a great move IMO
    If they were asked to do so by others, then it was likely more about showing unity with them than anything else.

    Doubt they can ever understand the problem completely but they can help to pass legislation to address the issues at hand.

    Speaking of which, let's see how Republicans -- especially Mitch -- respond to their newest initiatives to do exactly that.



    Let's see if the hypocrite(s) even bring it up for a vote, much less pass it as proposed by many of the only black members of Congress.

    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...ms-bill-301216

    Not so long ago they were letting Sessions and Trump run wild destroying and denigrating police reform -- the only thing that has changed for them since then are the optics so any "reform" they agree to at this point is likely purely a political ploy -- an attempt to walk the fine line between appealing to the racists in their "base" and the sense of common decency within everyone else.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-08-2020 at 02:04 PM.

  3. #3483
    Intermediary
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Enough with the unity

    Get some meaningful progress and change enacted

  4. #3484
    Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    7,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMan View Post
    Enough with the unity

    Get some meaningful progress and change enacted
    You need to yell at the Senate, young man.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

    Hillary was right!

  5. #3485
    Invincible Jersey Girl Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    24,900

    Default

    The City That Remade Its Police Department

    Across the U.S., protesters have taken to the streets to express rage after the killing of George Floyd by a Minneapolis police officer, Derek Chauvin. The demonstrations themselves have led to more police shows of force. In Brooklyn, two cops rammed their New York City Police Department SUVs into a crowd of protesters. In Philadelphia, officers sprayed tear gas at demonstrators who were penned in between a highway and a fence.

    But across the Delaware River from Philadelphia in Camden, N.J. (population 74,000), officers left the riot gear at home and brought an ice cream truck to a march on May 30. The police department’s chief, Joseph Wysocki, who is white, brandished a “Standing in Solidarity” poster alongside residents holding “Black Lives Matter” signs.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

  6. #3486
    Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    That's exactly why I would wear it -- out of respect for the culture and philosophy behind it.

    And because it looks better than a suit and tie in my opinion -- my whole administration would be decked out in silk robes.

    It was more of a commentary on the fact that there's no room for that kind of individuality in the political arena which is something that tends to affect political philosophy as well -- often you can't be too radical in either appearance or ideology.

    But that likewise explains why we keep electing the same kinds of leaders and getting the same kinds of results.

    -----
    "In general, "kung fu" refers to the Chinese martial arts also called wushu and quanfa. In China, it refers to any study, learning, or practice that requires patience, energy, and time to complete. In its original meaning, kung fu can refer to any discipline or skill achieved through hard work and practice, not necessarily martial arts."
    It would certainly be an interesting move. Would you go with colors based on traditional meaning too? Like red for luck, etc? Or would you base it on more along the lines of what colors would look good? And you do have a point, I think part of the issue of individuality crashes into "I like being different." "Cool" "I wanna wear (x type of clothing)" "Whoa that's too different." issue. You can be a different political view but go outside of the line it suddenly becomes like the Japanese idea of hitting the nail down. Hope that makes sense.



    If they were asked to do so by others, then it was likely more about showing unity with them than anything else.

    Doubt they can ever understand the problem completely but they can help to pass legislation to address the issues at hand.

    Speaking of which, let's see how Republicans -- especially Mitch -- respond to their newest initiatives to do exactly that.



    Let's see if the hypocrite(s) even bring it up for a vote, much less pass it as proposed by many of the only black members of Congress.

    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...ms-bill-301216

    Not so long ago they were letting Sessions and Trump run wild destroying and denigrating police reform -- the only thing that has changed for them since then are the optics so any "reform" they agree to at this point is likely purely a political ploy -- an attempt to walk the fine line between appealing to the racists in their "base" and the sense of common decency within everyone else.
    Mitch the turtle will just try to leave it sitting so he doesn't have to address it until after November at most.



    Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMan View Post
    Enough with the unity

    Get some meaningful progress and change enacted
    You need that unity to actually get that change enacted. If you don't have enough of the vote then the thing is dead in the water. And if they can push that message they may get some of the Moderate Republicans to vote on this due to not wanting to look like assholes. It's a power play and a damn good one at that.



    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    You need to yell at the Senate, young man.
    Yup. Also it looks like they were trying to send a message with the coloring of the cloth.

    Black =maturity, mourning and spiritual energy
    Blue = Peace love and harmony
    green =growth and renewal
    Maroon = healing
    White = purification
    Yellow =preciousness, Royalty

    So anyone who knows what those colors mean will see a clear message in those colors. And you're dead on, everyone likes to yell at the House but it's the Senate that keeps stalling on things.

  7. #3487
    Paranoid Android ChadH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Incertisque loci...incerto tempore
    Posts
    2,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    I've found a few stories about it, several that say Sonics did it and one that says Fumigation. Your guess is as good as mine, but considering the US seems to think it was Sonics to use the same shit on protestors is outrageous!

    https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/19/healt...udy/index.html

    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/23/s...ts-health.html
    Cruise ships sailing on the east coast of Africa have been employing them as defense against piracy for several years.
    There are also "heat rays" which instantly activate nerves under the skin to create an unbearable burning pain in entire crowds. I'm surprised we haven't seen any of that during this whole mess.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners Thread So much winning!!

    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
    "Being politically incorrect shouldn't be a matter of pride. It's the last gasp of the wrong side of history." - Unknown
    "By all means, compare these s**t-heads to Nazis." - Mike Godwin referring to the protesters in Charlottesville.

  8. #3488
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,024

    Default

    Officers slashed tires on vehicles parked amid Minneapolis protests, unrest

    "State Patrol troopers strategically deflated tires … in order to stop behaviors such as vehicles driving dangerously and at high speeds in and around protesters and law enforcement," Gordon said.

    Gordon said the patrol also targeted vehicles "that contained items used to cause harm during violent protests" such as rocks, concrete and sticks.

    "While not a typical tactic, vehicles were being used as dangerous weapons and inhibited our ability to clear areas and keep areas safe where violent protests were occurring," he said. As in all operations of this size, there will be a review about how these decisions were made."
    Among the vehicle owners whose tires were damaged was Star Tribune reporter Chris Serres, who was covering the protests the night of May 30 and returned to the Kmart lot about 1 a.m. and saw his car was among a few dozen with flattened tires.

    "As far as I could see, it looked like all their tires had been slashed," Serres said.

    Los Angeles documentary and television producer Andrew Kimmel said his tires were similarly slashed while parked in the Kmart lot. His video of the damage on Twitter has been viewed more than 1.25 million times as of Monday afternoon.

    "It was every single car that was in the parking lot," said Kimmel, who has covered more than 100 protests in the past several years and added, "I've never seen the tire slashing before, particularly in a parking lot."
    The reasoning makes no sense. You slash everyone's tires in the Kmart parking lot because some people drive at dangerous speeds? People have to drive and park to get to protests they just go slash all their tires for no reason cause they came down there. That's a lot of money to get new tires for all those cars.

  9. #3489
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    How To Keep Our Children Safe: A Mother Explains Why We Must Defund Police









    I really enjoyed her article it explains this concept in a way that will have to be done over and over again. Because, on the face it sounds like asking for No police at all just anarchy. But, there is a lot of sense honestly. There is only so much money to go around. We give a lot of money to both the military and policing.
    You say defund the Police and a lot of people (on Facebook anyway) seem to think the immediate result will be something like The Purge.

    This despite the Supreme Court ruling that the Police do not have an a implied duty to protect anybody.

    Federal Investigations have been enacted and have been blocked, independent oversight has not been co-operated with and putting body cameras on Police only means that they will turn them off thier Cameras before they kills somebody.

    At some point disbanding the organization and starting anew from scratch will be the only corrective left.

  10. #3490
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    After 2016 the only polls I care about is on Election night and hopefully Biden wins this one. But til that happens , I'll just wait and all. I don't wanna jinx it. Consider this a Kansas City Chiefs deal. People discussed how they seemed destined for the Super Bowl in playoffs. I however told them , no ...nothing is for certain. Hold off doing this.
    You're a wise person. Only one poll matters, the final poll.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  11. #3491
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    10,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I had an equity training today that is going towards my coaching certificate in that area ... we talked about this today.

    We had 8 officers that stated, "It's really not that hard to be kind and hold space for another person's views."

    Thanks for the sharing!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  12. #3492
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    You say defund the Police and a lot of people (on Facebook anyway) seem to think the immediate result will be something like The Purge.

    This despite the Supreme Court ruling that the Police do not have an a implied duty to protect anybody.

    Federal Investigations have been enacted and have been blocked, independent oversight has not been co-operated with and putting body cameras on Police only means that they will turn them off thier Cameras before they kills somebody.

    At some point disbanding the organization and starting anew from scratch will be the only corrective left.
    Its more than just facebook. People don't understand the term and GOP/Trump campaign will just take it over as anti law and order anarchy and ignore having to actually do anything

  13. #3493
    Intermediary
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Why is ICE assisting in arrest of protesters?

    https://documentedny.com/2020/06/05/...ebfD9f6qH9DmHA

  14. #3494
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    10,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Its more than just facebook. People don't understand the term and GOP/Trump campaign will just take it over as anti law and order anarchy and ignore having to actually do anything
    Sheriffs, Marshals, Park Officers, and Mint Officers were the law of the land till about 1750 in colonial America when the Philly PD was formed largely to police the slave trade.

    Then you had local sheriffs, rangers, constables, and federal marshals for the most part till 1807 with the Richmond PD and then Boston PD in 1838 followed by a litany of other special districts and PDs. I don't think the Secret Service was created until 1865. FBI, ATF, ICE, etc. are all specific responses to modern needs.

    It wouldn't be out of the norm for Americans to make something new and better while getting rid of the old.

    It means rethink and improve, not abolish. Defund does not mean disband.

    'Defund the police': What does that mean exactly?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  15. #3495
    Ultimate Member Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Sheriffs, Marshals, Park Officers, and Mint Officers were the law of the land till about 1750 in colonial America when the Philly PD was formed largely to police the slave trade.

    Then you had local sheriffs, rangers, constables, and federal marshals for the most part till 1807 with the Richmond PD and then Boston PD in 1838 followed by a litany of other special districts and PDs. I don't think the Secret Service was created until 1865. FBI, ATF, ICE, etc. are all specific responses to modern needs.

    It wouldn't be out of the norm for Americans to make something new and better while getting rid of the old.

    It means rethink and improve, not abolish. Defund does not mean disband.

    'Defund the police': What does that mean exactly?
    Perhaps if a slogan is not meant to be taken literally, there was a major communications error in the adoption of said slogan.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •