This is what the attack of "Critical Race Theory", i.e. the GOP's refusal to accept America's racist history, has wrought.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opin...ls/4964185001/

Fining teachers $5000 for teaching the truth about slavery.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    This is what the attack of "Critical Race Theory", i.e. the GOP's refusal to accept America's racist history, has wrought.

Meanwhile, in the Michigan state legislature, the GQP want to fine people $1000 if they're incentivizing people getting vaccinated, or to issue or ask someone to produce proof they're vaccinated.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

The Republican Party is a true Death Cult. I don't understand how people not in the thrall of Trumpism can remain Republicans.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Trying to get all their crazy out before their gerrymandered districts disappear, blustering at nothing as Gretchen will veto their nonsense.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Question for the gurus of this forum: do we have any statistics in regards to the number of trans athletes in America? Or the number of transfolk in general? Because in all the articles I read about these GQP transgender bans or trans athlete bans, there's never any mention of numbers. The GQP view makes it seem like transfolk are popping up everywhere suddenly, whereas I kind of view their panic to pass these discriminatory laws as a solution in search of a problem.

So, not trying to reignite a debate over trans athletes, I would just like to be presented with some info regarding the trans percentage of our population.
    I can discuss the number of trans people.

Polls suggest it's around 0.6%.

https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.e...united-states/

A Gallup poll did note that the number of people who identify as trans is higher with those born after 1997, roughly 1.8%.
    https://news.gallup.com/poll/329708/...-estimate.aspx

Years ago, on the board, I asked the board about the implications of a study that three percent of Minnesota high school students identified as trans or gender nonconforming.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post3429263

The polls do suggest that it is less than one percent of the population, but that the numbers are higher among people below 25. We don't know the reasons for that. Are millions of Americans closeted trans people? Is this complicated by people who are nonbinary? As an aside, as an example of how quickly things have changed, in the first political thread there are two search results for nonbinary in over 100,000 posts: https://community.cbr.com/search.php?searchid=11334982

Some of the polls come well before one of the most popular people in comics came out as nonbinary (which I use mainly as an example of how quickly things can change).
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    The founding of America was only good for some, not all, so doesn’t that make it inherently bad?
    I welcome prominent Democrats to make the argument that the founding of America was inherently bad.

I would also argue that America was good for more than just some people, and that things have gotten better.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Slavery was baked into the formation of the country, though. If America is, unambiguously, a good thing, then how do you get away from concluding that the institution of slavery was, in the least, okay?

You can't really have it both ways -- saying that the country is just great, while simultaneously acknowledging that something inexcusably evil was a part of how it was created.

We can't travel back in time and undo it, but we can unilaterally condemn it as something that was wrong. This includes the 3/5 compromise, because the country would not have been formed without it. If we say the compromise was just necessary, then we are saying it was not the greatest evil -- just political expedience.

That is worth a "Jesus Christ" because, again, that political expedience has been paid for with generations of violence and suffering.
    What is the connection between America being a good thing, and the institution of slavery having to be okay? Good qualities can make something ultimately worthwhile, but it doesn't mean the bad was okay.

The point on the political expedience of the three-fifths compromise is that we should acknowledge that not counting slaves as fractions would have been a bad thing, as it would increase the political power of the South and delay the end of the institution of slavery. The South wanted slaves quantified as full human beings. It would have provided more electoral votes and members of Congress.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 05-06-2021 at 05:30 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Because you can't make this stuff up, the Cyber Ninja recount is about to be homeless because they lose the lease to the Veterans Memorial Coliseum on May 14th- because it has already been previously booked for High School graduations.

Which is probably a good thing, as Observers report ballots and laptop computers have been left unattended in Arizona recount, according to secretary of state

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Because you can't make this stuff up, the Cyber Ninja recount is about to be homeless because they lose the lease to the Veterans Memorial Coliseum on May 14th- because it has already been previously booked for High School graduations.

Which is probably a good thing, as Observers report ballots and laptop computers have been left unattended in Arizona recount, according to secretary of state
    As the Republicans slip further and further into cartoon evil, they become equally cartoonishly stupid

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Jesus H. Christ. The Qpublican Party has SERIOUSLY gone off the freaking deep end. I can't put it any more simply.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Hey, WBE!

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/lo...d-18caf22a3200
    COLUMBUS, Ohio — An Ohio state senator is making national headlines this week. Not for a bill he proposed, but for his attempt to conceal the fact that he was driving during a controlling board meeting on Zoom.

Early on during Monday's meeting, Sen. Andrew Brenner can be seen sitting in the driver's seat of his car. Brenner eventually leaned forward and turned off the camera.
    All of this happened as the Ohio House is considering a bill proposing stricter rules against cell phone use while driving, with a goal of cracking down on distracted driving in the state.

According to Tyler Buchanan of the Ohio Capital Journal, legislation from state Reps. Cindy Abrams, R-Harrison, and Brian Lampton, R-Beavercreek, would prohibit using electronic devices while driving in most circumstances. Law enforcement could ticket drivers for even holding their phones while driving.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 05-06-2021 at 07:55 PM.

Or any "controversial" subject because we all know there's so much scientific controversy about, say, evolution. Or rather, no controversy among educated biologists but among the general public.

So, "controversy" will be things like actual historical documents about how people were treated from the writings of people who directly experienced slavery.

Yeah, this is going to be in the courts soon enough.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I can discuss the number of trans people.

Polls suggest it's around 0.6%.

https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.e...united-states/

A Gallup poll did note that the number of people who identify as trans is higher with those born after 1997, roughly 1.8%.
    https://news.gallup.com/poll/329708/...-estimate.aspx

Years ago, on the board, I asked the board about the implications of a study that three percent of Minnesota high school students identified as trans or gender nonconforming.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post3429263

The polls do suggest that it is less than one percent of the population, but that the numbers are higher among people below 25. We don't know the reasons for that. Are millions of Americans closeted trans people? Is this complicated by people who are nonbinary? As an aside, as an example of how quickly things have changed, in the first political thread there are two search results for nonbinary in over 100,000 posts: https://community.cbr.com/search.php?searchid=11334982

Some of the polls come well before one of the most popular people in comics came out as nonbinary (which I use mainly as an example of how quickly things can change).
    I've heard about 1.7% but I'm sure the4 identification factor is based on factors such as age.

Speaking from my own perspective as bisexual, back in the 1970s, I would not have said I was bi or gay even on an anonymous survey. This year, I casually mentioned it to a co-worker as if it means nothing anymore to "come out".

I suspect older people are less likely to be open about it even if they know the world has changed because they know what it was like. Everybody knew Freddy Mercury was gay but he would never outright say it and he did say he knew that enlightened days can vanish in an instant.

I doubt there is any real difference in those under 25 and over 50 except that people over 50 are far less likely to acknowledge it openly for the reasons I've already stated.

They are now pandering to the most willfully ignorant, stupid and bigoted which has become essentially the Republican party. I don't even think Trump created that mentality. He just brought it out into the open. Hilary Clinton was wrong. She said half of Republicans today are your basic deplorables. She underestimated the numbers.

Hell, today, if Barry Goldwater or Dwight Eisenhower was still around, he'd be a "R.I.N.O."

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    That's not the point. The point is that the Republican Party is becoming the Party of Liers and Thieves, of Cheaters and Conmen. If you aren't a criminal at heart, if you refuse to be dishonest, if you prefer facts over conspiracy theories, then you don't belong in this version of the Republican Party.
    She has a political career because her father literally lied us into the war that Trump could say was a dumb move when he was running for the nomination.

There is no "Becoming..."

The party in question has been a literal lost cause for decades now.

Never mind that her old man being able to steer work to an outfit after starting a war probably trumps anything this supposedly worse Republican Party will ever accomplish.