Page 866 of 877 FirstFirst ... 366766816856862863864865866867868869870876 ... LastLast
Results 12,976 to 12,990 of 13142
  1. #12976
    Extraordinary Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    5,778

    Default

    Jacinda Ardern of New Zealand won big in the elections
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-54519628

    She got re-elected with a huge margin and the NZ Labour Party now have a big mandate, a majority in parliament where they can govern without coalition.

    It's rare to get good news stories of the left winning big these days, so this is a good one. Granted NZ has a populaiton of 5 million which is way smaller than major US cities, but it's still quite amazing.

  2. #12977
    Ultimate Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    19,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    So, every Democratic politician should expect their children to not further their careers because several years later they may decide to run for President, win the nomination and happen to run against a Republican candidate who has the poor judgment and ethical deficiency to threaten to withhold defense funding from a foreign ally currently struggling against Russia if they don't manufacture a scandal out of whole cloth?
    That's their responsibility?
    If it is a situation where their children absolutely lack anything other than a politician for a parent when it comes to actual concrete qualifications for the career?

    Yeah, it's actually their responsibility.

    The Republican side of it is a straight up non-issue when they would have nothing without the unqualified child of a Democrat getting paid in full at a job they appear to be completely unqualified for.

    If you hand them the stick they are beating you with, you should actually be smart enough to grasp exactly where it was that you went wrong.

  3. #12978
    Ultimate Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    19,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    ......and how exactly is somebody supposed to keep their grown ass child from doing something like that? You do realize that if it wasn't this, they would just find something else for the dumbfucks to believe, right?
    Since it was actually "This...", I'm not seeing where you have much of a point.

    As for "How?...", it's incredibly simple.

    It goes a little something like "My Responsibility To The Public That I Am Actually Supposed To Be Serving Means That You Are Going To Have To Take A Pass On This One, Kiddo."

  4. #12979
    Incredible Member The no face guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Jacinda Ardern of New Zealand won big in the elections
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-54519628

    She got re-elected with a huge margin and the NZ Labour Party now have a big mandate, a majority in parliament where they can govern without coalition.

    It's rare to get good news stories of the left winning big these days, so this is a good one. Granted NZ has a populaiton of 5 million which is way smaller than major US cities, but it's still quite amazing.
    Left wing parties tend to due well during health crisis, because well, frankly... do you really trust the guy Goldman Sachs to have your best interest at heart during a health crisis?

    It's a well deserved win, she handled the COVID crisis impeccably well, which in turn allows the economy to be opened up sooner. The left in my Province has also done a fabulous job of keeping the numbers down to. The election is in a week and they have my vote.

  5. #12980
    Ultimate Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    19,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    ...have you paid attention to the current White House at all?
    Here's the deal...

    It's one thing when The Rogues are doing stuff like gunning Cyrus down in public.

    That is exactly what I expect The Rogues to be doing.

    If The Warriors do the same?

    It represents an entirely different issue based on what I expect them to be doing.

  6. #12981
    Paranoid Android ChadH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Incertisque loci...incerto tempore
    Posts
    2,686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    If it is a situation where their children absolutely lack anything other than a politician for a parent when it comes to actual concrete qualifications for the career?

    Yeah, it's actually their responsibility.

    The Republican side of it is a straight up non-issue when they would have nothing without the unqualified child of a Democrat getting paid in full at a job they appear to be completely unqualified for.

    If you hand them the stick they are beating you with, you should actually be smart enough to grasp exactly where it was that you went wrong.
    1. You aren't in any position to question the hiring practices of a foreign company. You have no idea what qualifications they were looking for.
    2. You only have the appearance of impropriety put forward by Trumps' office and by assigning undue blame to Biden you're effectively lending credence to the baseless speculation.
    3. The only way this has merit is if there is any actual quid-pro-quo involved on the Bidens part. There wasn't, so the point is moot.
    4. Biden isn't "handing them the stick". The stick is being manufactured out of nothing. Rumor isn't proof.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners Thread So much winning!!

    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
    "Being politically incorrect shouldn't be a matter of pride. It's the last gasp of the wrong side of history." - Unknown
    "By all means, compare these s**t-heads to Nazis." - Mike Godwin referring to the protesters in Charlottesville.

  7. #12982
    Ultimate Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    19,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    1. You aren't in any position to question the hiring practices of a foreign company. You have no idea what qualifications they were looking for.
    2. You only have the appearance of impropriety put forward by Trumps' office and by assigning undue blame to Biden you're effectively lending credence to the baseless speculation.
    3. The only way this has merit is if there is any actual quid-pro-quo involved on the Bidens part. There wasn't, so the point is moot.
    4. Biden isn't "handing them the stick". The stick is being manufactured out of nothing. Rumor isn't proof.
    What's in blue...

    That you cannot(and, even more so, that Biden's son or the company...) make a clear and detailed case for Biden's qualifications?

    That is the entire issue. It's not even like I am questioning their practices. They have made no case for the hiring for anyone to question.

    As for what is in green?

    Politely, you are incorrect. Elizabeth Warren pointed out the merit that this has. It's an incredibly obvious issue.

  8. #12983
    Extraordinary Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    5,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    Left wing parties tend to due well during health crisis,
    If that's so, how come the Dems didn't take the White House during the '80s when the AIDS crisis was at its height, and how come Labour didn't dislodge Thatcher in that same period?

    I don't think it's a case that a crisis inherently favors one kind of politics more than another.

    In Germany, Merkel's CDU moderate conservative approach (smaller cases are deliberate) have made her and her legacy concrete for a generation or so, making it harder for a more left-wing political program to find favor there. Granted Social Democrat policies of earlier admins have been embraced and remain in place.

  9. #12984
    Ultimate Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    19,370

    Default

    https://******.com/article/68f19fffd...94117b83f5c8f1

    Biden’s top 2020 Democratic rivals avoid rush to defend him
    Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren suggested she’d consider barring her vice president’s children from serving on the boards of foreign companies, the very kind of business arrangement Trump has used in unfounded attacks accusing Biden and his son Hunter of corruption.

  10. #12985
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    11,708

    Default

    I get it, the Trump kids grifting their way through 4 years at the White House is a non story.
    But Hunter Biden means we shouldn't vote for Joe. Got it.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  11. #12986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    If their October Surprise is another Hunter Biden story then Trump is truly done.
    If only Hunter had defrauded a charity he was running for kids with cancer.

    OH WAIT, that's Trump's son.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  12. #12987
    Ultimate Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    19,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I get it, the Trump kids grifting their way through 4 years at the White House is a non story.
    But Hunter Biden means we shouldn't vote for Joe. Got it.
    Since I probably voted for the Biden/Harris ticket before most folks in this thread?

    I think you might not have "Got It..."

    That said, it is probably way past time that some "Bare Minimum..." standards are in place as far as being a legitimately upright public servant.

    Doubly so when the side that could benefit from them is talking about putting laws in place about Presidential candidates and what they should have to disclose.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 10-17-2020 at 08:38 PM.

  13. #12988
    Incredible Member The no face guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    If that's so, how come the Dems didn't take the White House during the '80s when the AIDS crisis was at its height, and how come Labour didn't dislodge Thatcher in that same period?

    I don't think it's a case that a crisis inherently favors one kind of politics more than another.

    In Germany, Merkel's CDU moderate conservative approach (smaller cases are deliberate) have made her and her legacy concrete for a generation or so, making it harder for a more left-wing political program to find favor there. Granted Social Democrat policies of earlier admins have been embraced and remain in place.

    Simple, unlike COVID, the AIDS crisis only affected a small minority of the population.

    Regan and Thatcher rode to power on the wave of the second oil crisis that saw left wing governments struggling to unsuccessfully control inflation. The Labour government in particular had to go to the IMF for handout, the UK economy was in the dumps, a Labour majority wasn't feasible at the time until they moved closer to the center.

    The UK did however vote Labour during the food shortages after world war 2, because they trusted them more than the Conservatives to have their best interests at heart.

  14. #12989
    Ultimate Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    19,370

    Default

    Long story short?

    If you are talking the talk about cleaning things up?

    About time.

    That said...

    If you aren't seriously talking about actually cleaning things up top to bottom?

    Just how seriously should I be taking you?

  15. #12990
    Extraordinary Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    5,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    Simple, unlike COVID, the AIDS crisis only affected a small minority of the population.
    You are aware that AIDS as a disease ultimately spilled over to straight people right? The authorities didn't give a damn when it wreaked havoc in the LGBTQ community in the assumption that it would never affect straight people.

    AIDS didn't affect a "small minority" it affected everyone, why do you think condom use and Sex Ed. became mandatory?

    It's quite similar to COVID-19. A disease disproportionately affected marginalized group, US Government did nothing, a NIH doctor named Fauci tried to sound the alarm but few listened to him.

    And again, a public health crisis didn't automatically favor the Left in that time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •